ASICS 26.2 Consolation Thinking

Comments

• ooo, I'm already booked in for Reading too! It was my birthday present to myself. Would be great to see everyone image
  • Hey Richard - I run with the Marlow Striders (apologies to all - that was my OH that won last weekend - seems he caused a bit of a stir LOL). 

We'll all (well mostly) be dressed as fairies this weekend just for a giggle - it being Christmas and all that!  I'll make sure to look out for you.

Right then - I'm going to put Reading in my diary - even if I don't run - I'm going to plan to be there to cheer you all on! I'm not from round these parts but I don't think it's very far away!  My OH is due to be at his new desk in Waddington on April 2nd so I may be stuck here all by myself if a house hasn't become available by then so it's the perfect excuse to get out n aboot! Yes they really do do thatto us - he came down here 2 months before me last summer - am hoping they don't have to do it again.  

Right - am busying myself planning next year's race calendar to cheer myself up - so many exciting races - so few days off! image

• There is now a thread up on Clubhouse looking for people who would like to be mentored by a forum member to help them to achieve their marathon goal, anyone who wasn't successful from the original 40 would be more than welcome to come and make their pitch for a mentor......
    It worked really well last year and a lot of the Threads are still going a year later. Please come over and have a go, you are more than welcome (but you get no prizes or goodies sorry just help and support)
  • That's sweet - Plum thanks - I won't be doing a spring marathon now but I may well have a nosey at what's going on anyway.

It's snowing here - how about everywhere else?

I'm going to hit the gym today.  I got bored last night and tried to run with my heels well and truly padded - joy of joys - 40 mins later - felt much better.  Am going to stick to the treadmill until they're healed properly though so that I can jump off if I feel them rubbing again.  I can't believe it - my spikes didn't rub me last time I wore them - maybe my feet have shrunk? image

•  Oh and Richard - did you know there's a TVXC threa?  If not - here it is - it keeps hiding...

TVXC thread

See you there image

•  Crikey - must get stop getting distracted by the snow - have you all seen this?  

Boot Camp video

• Ran in to work in sleet this am......a nice 4.5 miler.......day 7 of my running streak..........have a good weekend if you are racing as Sleepy(not)Bear is!!! Have a god race. I will be out with as many of the family can get up early and doing a long one tomorrow morning.  If not too much snow......at least its not as bad as last year. The pic below was before it got too bad......this time last year. Off to check out that video thanks SB.image
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/485545/Gallery/Compressed_commute_0.JPG

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Running in sleet for the first time ever. Going to need better gloves!

Right, I'm in the Reading run. Gonna take it easy, only four weeks before MK, so don't want to blow up (that would be just my poor luck).

Did we have a conversation about meeting up?
  • BoD - good to hear from you.  Yes, we talked about meeting at Reading Half - let's see how many enter and we can fix something up.  If enough enter maybe hire a box in the stadium ???

Looking forward to the XC race on Sunday - weather should be good and crisp (that's a gentle way of saying bl..dy cold!)  Got a race an my hands against Sleepy Bear !!  Will not be chasing her OH as he's a whippet !

• Game on Oscarr - 4 degrees forecast -hmmm won't be wearing shorts then! LOL

Great news BoD - am still waiting to hear about Fleet first before I enter! 4 weeks before is about perfect timing isn't it? (according to most marathon programmes I've ever seen anyway)

Great pic mcs - ours has all melted here though there were some big flakes this morning.  Don't be under any illusions - I'm definitely a take-parter so that I can justify my afternoon nap on the sofa .  I rely on Ben getting back first and snaffling a good selection of cakes for when I get there 

smilies/smile_smiley.gif

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys,

Just gone a bit crazy... I'm in the five. Have a look: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?chklast=1&URN=11&UTN=186069&source=forumnot&#392889

What a mental situation! Not sunk in as yet...
  • Good news BD! Hope you're ok too JB? image
  • I'm gutted but it turns out that walking a marathon counts as running one. I never hid that and genuinely didn't think that it would make me not qualify for running a marathon for the first time.

I hope that they are having a great day today.
  • awww honey - that sucks! I can see your point too! What a shame!  We were a bit shoe-horned into the new categories don't you think?  I changed mine at BC because I didn't really fit into busy lives in my opinion but I'm not 100% on a plateau either (not at marathon distance anyway).

Can you buy yourself a consolation prize?  What are you going to get?

Big hugs! image

• jelly_bean - Commiserations to you. That must really bite. Don't forget about the forum competition image 
  • I might have gone a little nuts last night and ended up buying myself entry into this - The Wall Run Oops!

So I guess some trail shoes, a rucksack/camelbak etc are on the consolation list! I also sorted my entry into the Manchester Marathon which is two weeks after Paris so will still be following the threads with interest.

And of course, will still get myself some new road trainers as at BC was told I wasn't in the right ones anyway.

• Wow - that looks amazing - too much for me at this stage I reckon so good on ya! Am liking your shopping fest - quite right!

Yeah - I'm aiming to do a marathon later in the year so keeping an eye on the threads too.  I like the idea of the Forum Six but it's easier to trust a coach you've met in person (I'm odd like that).

Hold your head up chick - you did nothing wrong. Make sure you stick around image

• jelly_bean - thats rotten, so commiserations.  Having walked and run a marathon I agree the training is very different indeed. I was at the boot camp last year and a similar thing happened in that time targets were chosen arbitarily so some really good people didn't get it just because their aim didn't match.  I think RW need to be more upfront at the beginning at what they are looking for.   Alice explained that the catagories aren't chosen till the boot camp stage but thats a bit too late in my mind.

On the other hand I would recommend the forum 6 mentoring very highly.  Much more individually focussed and extremely beneficial.  Don't be shy - put in a pitch.  I think the link has already been put up early so get in there before its too late. 

• Thanks Sleepy Bear image Any idea which marathon you might go for?

I've checked with my 5k time trial time and that says I can get a sub 4hr so i'm thinking of using the RW Ultimate sub4hr plan for manchester with some slight modifications to incorporate the beginnings of my other plan. If I start now I should be able to build up slowly enough to avoid injury.

TSD - I didn't even train for the walk! My sister dropped out at the last minute and my mum was still insistent on walking it so asked me to support her. In reality I should have said no anyway as she ended up hospitalised at the end for four days and now for this, but hey! I'm not bitter about it, still had a great time at boot camp with everyone and I will definitely be keeping in touch with everyone. 

I don't think that I will go forward for the forum 6 purely for the fact that I want to tailor my training towards completing the ultra at the end of June with the 20mins run/ 5mins walk tactic I think.

• Hey JB - my first choice is Kielder in October (not a fast one I know but if there's no time pressure on me I reckon there's less chance of me overtraining for it) but we're likely to be away so my second choice is looking like Robin Hood in September.  Fancy either of those?

I'll probably train for sub 3:45 but am intrigued by this whole idea of jiggering with your programme as you go along so if I'm realistically running at a slower pace that's what I'll be doing.  I think for me - the main thing is just to get over the mental hurdle of doing another one with a bitmore of a long term view towhat happens after it!

I never count my two LAMM's as marathons if that makes you feel any better - it's just not the same as running a road marathon!

Good effort for supporting your mum - your feet must have been killing you!  Right I'm off to test out my latest heel strappings!

• Jelly Bean, commiserations. I did wonder what had happened and how it had come out, but it seems very harsh that you were upfront about having walked 26.2 miles and they decided after selecting you that this should be a disqualification.
  • JB - the forum 6 last managed to accommodate someone training for an Ironman and an Ultra as well as a marathon last year so don't be put off by that.  Its very flexible and as I said, individual so don't dismiss it completely.  Or you can just jump on one of the theads and train along with them.  Good luck with whatever you do.  Frankly I think the RW decision stinks.
  • Jelly Bean - well done for coming on the forum and explaining things - decision seems a little harsh and late and you must be gutted but good on you for taking it so well and looking forward.

Little Ninja - how do you find out about the "forum competition" you mentioned please?

Sleepy Bear - see you tomorrow and no excuses about heal blisters !! I did the Robin Hood Marathon a few years ago; its combined with a half and the full entrants pass the finish point at half way; the first half is a good route through the town and uni campus but the second half can be a bit boring especially around the long and windy rowing lake but overall its a good event.  My most enjoyable was Snowdon (October) for the same reasons you mention for Keilder cos you forget times and just enjoy a LSR in great scenery and big, big hills !  For my autumn run I'll be choosing from Abingdon, Chester, Keilder, Loch Ness - depends if I go for time or not.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Jelly Bean tough luck.  The Forum Six would be perfect for you though.  There are no rules as such and you make your own schedule (at least I did), what you get in return is encouragement, advice and support along the way, without the pressure.  image

• Oscarr - oh I'll be there! Always worth it for the cake - even if I have to crawl round but ran ok today with tape  on.  See you there!
  • JB - sorry to hear about your place. Sounds like you have got a pretty major challenge ahead of you now - puts a marathon into perspective!!

Oscarr - Thanks! I think that Knightrider was a great choice but much appreciate your comments.

Did my first Park Run this morning, which was great but a little treacherous weatherwise - hopefully this will mean the next time I do it I can knock a few mins off my 'Park Run' PB!

Off to the Peak District for a couple of days tomorrow - some nice long walks with Reginald and a lovely warm hotel to return to - bliss!!

I'm signed up for Reading with my club but would be very interested in meeting up with other Bootcampers.

Have a good weekend all!

• LadeyJadey wrote (see)

JB - sorry to hear about your place. Sounds like you have got a pretty major challenge ahead of you now - puts a marathon into perspective!!

Oscarr - Thanks! I think that Knightrider was a great choice but much appreciate your comments.

Did my first Park Run this morning, which was great but a little treacherous weatherwise - hopefully this will mean the next time I do it I can knock a few mins off my 'Park Run' PB!

Off to the Peak District for a couple of days tomorrow - some nice long walks with Reginald and a lovely warm hotel to return to - bliss!!

I'm signed up for Reading with my club but would be very interested in meeting up with other Bootcampers.

Have a good weekend all!

Hope Reg enjoys the Peak District! Do you have any advice on dog-friendly hotel recommendation sites or books? I've looked at a few but not found anything that does what I want yet!
  • Hey Rosie, hope you jad a fab time today!! Been a bit hit and miss with the dog friendly places we've stayed. Stayed in one place near york that I wasn't entirely happy about Reggie staying there, let alone us image

However, we stumbled on this place in the peak district in Feb and are going back there for our anniversary as it was SO nice. Can def recommend it - The Maynard in Grindleford.

Also hired a gorgeous pet friendly cottage in Dumfries in May. Tend to search for dog friendly in the search criteria on normal sites but would love to find a website that offers reliable places!

Will ask at the hotel tomorrow in case they advertise anywhere in particular. They have loads of walks right on their doorstep and so promote themselves as dog friendly. If I find anymore info I'll let u know.

X

• I get frightened running when there are dogs around locally as they so often seem to bother me (I'm a total scardy and l completely freeze - as I told Rosie today). Being charged at by a growling Rotweiller a couple of years ago didn't help this.image

However, never ever worry about dogs off the lead when I am in the Lakes....?!image

1 - Dogs impeciably behaved and well trained. 2 - Owners (like you two) in control of their dogs. 3 - Dogs properly excercised and more intested in sheep smells than my stink!

Not so sure I could manage to get to the lakes for my LSR each week!image

Are you home yet Rosie?

Well done JB - What on earth have you signed up for?

• Sleepy Bear - well done this morning and good to meet you - for those interested, SB beat me by one place and about 3 seconds at this morning's TVXC race in Bearwood, Reading - what made it worse was the fact that she was dressed in a festive fairy outfit !!!  Uncanny being so close in a field of about 300 runners.

Look forward to the next race on 8th January in Tadley.

Hope you enjoyed the cakes.