2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• Tekniklaus wrote (see)

Hi Jennie

Well, I'm aiming (5th attempt, mind you) to break 4H so slow/easy/recovery are all done about 10 min mile pace ie MP + 60 secs.

im really not sure what my outcome on a mara will be as my pace was under 10m/m last week but im not sure i could break 4:00image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Hi Loulabell

I think I'd listen to Spoons, and set out at 10m pace. If you're ok by mile 20 (for which read you're not sobbing over random strangers) you can try to pick up the pace.  How many weeks to go now?

• its on jan 22nd Tekniklaus...tomorrow im going to try and slow up a bitimage
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Tech - 4 attempts at 4 hrs failed. 10 min miles for steady. Maybe time to slow down and improve your aerobic engine.

Lou - the fact you don't think you break 4 hrs tells me you need to slow down as well.

Double long run weekend for me, first run of 3hrs done and will run for 3.5 hrs tomorrow.

Todays was MP + 60 average but had 2 sections of slower running and 2 sections of faster running. Did some testing of a new GEL and Hydration strategy and put some miles into my planned race shoes for next season.
  • im trying out different gels too..i dnt think the one i tried 2 weeks ago made a jot of difference
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Gobi, thanks for the advice. Question: if I can handle the plan (I'm going to follow P&D 18/55) at 10' pace for slow days, how will slowing down improve the aerobic capacity (unless you meant slower but more miles)?
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Tek - my gut feeling is when you are getting tired you are NOT running aerobically but are crossing that line. Not sure how long you do those long runs but thinking in time rather than miles may help you slow down a little.

Not saying you should run slow all the time but you need to know when it is time to work hard and know that easy is easy.

There is no way I would run easy as MP + 60

I often run at MP + 2 - 2.30
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Thanks Gobi.  My issue is that my pace/distance graph is really much steeper than most - 6'45" for 10k, 7'50" for Half M - 10'00" is slow (for the long runs)...although I get your point on the Easy days.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Tek - BLIMEY, mine from mile to marathon is only 66 seconds

how many miles do you do?

I'm off for a run
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    I think that historically I've not done enough mileage, and not done enough long long runs...so this year I'm sticking to pfitzinger. The plan averages 45 miles pw (excluding race week, including taper and a cut- back week every 4 weeks). Peak is 55 m.

BTW you can add another 60 seconds to the spread if you go down to my one mile time...
  • 6:45 for a 10km
    7:50 for a HM? image

My 10km is 6:50, HM is 7:10

Sounds like you have some good speed but really need to work on your endurance. Lots of slow, easy miles.

Last year I trained for a ultra + 4 marathons in 4 days by running 6 days a week, only doing 1 speedwork session. All the rest was easy jogging. I did around 50 miles per week. This worked fine and got me through the marathons well. What surprised me was I completely smashed all my shorter distance PBs as well.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Thanks Gobi.  My issue is that my pace/distance graph is really much steeper than most - 6'45" for 10k, 7'50" for Half M - 10'00" is slow (for the long runs)...although I get your point on the Easy days.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Sorry..don't know why the last post was sent again....

Thx Spoons...your look of horror will increase when you realise that I can't hold onto a 9'09" marathon pace. More miles....and I'll be dropping all the speedwork this year.

• i have never done speedwork- i just go runimage
  • Just over 20 today.
    Only speed work I do is tempo runs and half mile intervals. You can keep your 100 to 400m stuff.
    Build a solid base and the speed will come build speed and not endurance and you will run out of steam towards the end, simple........
  • No Pain wrote (see)
    Build a solid base and the speed will come build speed and not endurance and you will run out of steam towards the end, simple........
    that sounds good to meimage..ive done that for past year and find on shorter runs im faster because ive done distance more
  • 78.13 miles for me this week nice.
    Lebell it works for me image
  • nopain..i think at my age getting faster possibly isnt an optionimage
  • Well I'm 50 and still intend on having ago at my marathon PB next year image
  • imageok, maybe theres hope-im 36
  • Lol I should think so your only a baby lol
  • Lots of good debate and even some running on hereimage

16m for me today- easy pace (pMP+75 to +90). Really pleased as pace is around 30-40 secs faster than same effort was a few months agoimage 52 secs between 5k and mara PBs for meimage Not sure whether that's good, or I need to sort my 5k time out- LOL!imageimage

• 13 miles for me this morning a bit slower than usually but to be expected after the hardest xc in my running career on Saturdayimage.  7.5 miles with some crazy hills and up to my knees in mud.  All good fun.  For some reason not too many ladies braved this one...
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Jason: my 5k to mara pb pace spread is 327 secs. Getting it down to 252, compared to your 52, now sounds like a walk in the park....FML  image

Mon: good weekend! Where was the xc race?

• Loula - you've got bags of time for improvement. I would do some speedwork though. Even if it's "just" tempo runs like NP. Personally I like mile reps in marathon / ultra training. I agree with NP though. 100m reps are more for shorter distance stuff..... Enter Gobi to disagree?
  • Jason - sounds like your 5km time is a bit soft lol imageimage
  • Spoons- you're not wrong!image  I think it's cos the only speedwork I do is at 5k pace cos it's always in the middle of mara training. I do intervals from 800 to 1600, and also faster 100mtr strides x 6-8 at the end of easy runs sometimes, but won't be running any tempo/ speed sessions for a while yet. Will start with tempo runs towards the end of next monthimage
  • Xmas is cancelled in Spoons's house wrote (see) Personally I like mile reps in marathon / ultra training. I agree with NP though
    oh god...im not very au fait with the techy terms...please explain spoons o great oneimage
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Oh dear........

Track reps down to 100 metres here but I don't recommend anything less than 200s for people I coach.

Good base is crucial and until you plateau base work is enough to make progress But once you plateau l believe the biggest mistake marathon runners make is to neglect speedwork. Even if you only do mile reps just doing things that make you run faster will help you run faster.

That said my last 3 days have seen 63 miles of base work with 50 mins @MP thrown into a long run yesterday.
  • Gobi- why are you running MP at the moment?image Am I missing something? No plateau here- freefall at the moimage