"pose" running

I have read with interest a lot of threads about the pro's & con's of this so decided to have a go today.

I have run 5.5 miles at approx 9 min mile & found that the hills are a lot easier but it is going to take a while to get used to running this style on the flat & downhill. My calf's are a little sore tonight but I have non of the tempoary mild knee / foot discomfort I usually get for a few hours post run.

I am tempted to persevere with this as it seems to take less effort to maintain a reasonable pace & may avoid the "wall" I have a 20 mile & flm to do next year (first time!)

Has anyone successfully adopted this running style & has it helped with their running peformance / endurance?

Comments

• What is pose running?
  • "Taking off" from forefoot first instead of heel (uses calf muscle like a spring so i'm told)

• If you are attempting to change running style or form, this usually takes some concentration and awareness of the technique being used along with focus to keep good form. When you run naturally I do not believe you put the same amount of focus on good technique or form. Call me a sceptic but I personally feel it is this which has resulted in the lack of the mild knee / foot discomfort you usually get for a few hours post run.
    I naturally run in a style associated with 'pose' running and often have other runners talk to me about it for this reason. I do not think it is the fix all solution some make it out to be.
  • It seems to get me up the hills with much less effort, perhaps I just need to use it then image
  • In pose method you do not 'take off' using calf muscles running, the forward momentum is achieved by using gravity as the primary force for movement instead of muscular energy.
    With the Pose Method, runners land on their forefoot on a slightly bent knee with hips over the ball of foot. The movement is kind of falling.
    What you are doing songs more chi running-ish to me personally.
  • If your interested in this kind of running form, I would suggest reading the book 'natural running' by Danny Abshire as it is a really good read regarding how the body and biomechanics function. The books information and views are well balanced although Danny does slightly pimp his Newton shoe brand in the book which is disappointing.

Another interesting read can be found at the following url.
    http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/10/pose-running-reduces-running-economythe.html

Im not personally a fan of all the barefoot books as they seem to be a bit zeloted to me, and the research often offered as evidence by Dr Lieberman was funded by a company which makes barefoot shoes. Although I own these types of minimalist shoes myself I do not think they suit everyone and most certainly are not good for everyone yet the industry and fanboys attempt to suggest that these types of shoes and running styles such as pose and chi are the best thing for everyone...... lol random rant over.

http://www.runningbarefootisbad.com/
  • I've long felt that the shoe companies have over complicated shoe design - go back to the 50s and 60s where runners like Jim Peters were wearing plimsolls - the 80s running boom had the big guys falling over themselves to invent cushioning and energy return systems and charging us a fortune for the privilege - now people are trying to persuade us that minimalist works - but in my day that was just a pair of racing flats like flexible and no cushioning - and all this stuff about pose and chi running is just basically what track runners have always been coached to do - but once again we are charged a fortune for the lessons -

My rant over!!!

• Might invest in some flats then, apparently cheaper than cushioned running shoes!
  • And as for avoiding "the wall"... Do your training right and water / sports drink or gel even jelly baby strategy right on the day - this won't happen.

Especial VLM with all the stuff they give out
  • I find running up hills faster then on the flat mind you I live in the pennines and you get fitter running hills
  • Compo,

My brother lives in the Peak District so I have had the pleasure of running up South head & Eccles pike. Quite an achievement for me living in the much less undulating Midlands! 

• I started as probably most of us did ...as a road runner but drifted into fell and trail running to the point that I almost never ran on the road. By the very nature of fell shoes they are "minimal" in terms of cushioning and construction (although invo8 moved things along from the stock Walsh PB option) and over the years (and I mean about 6 years), I noticed that the wear pattern on all my shoes (including work shoes) moved from the heel to the forefoot. I reckon part of "natural" running call it pose, chi, barefoot or whatever else should also refer to surface as well as shoe.

When I do go back to racing on the road (my longest road run before London last year was a 10 miler ...but lots of 4 hour+ hill / trail runs) I found it "easier" ....in the head at least. I also took another 8 minutes of my previous marathon PB to cross the line in 3:09:51.

Guess what I am trying to say is the wider ideal of natural running has certainly worked for me.

• ps - I also do a lot of gym work (body pump and body attack) in a pair of Vibram 5 Fingers to help the core and to maintain foot strength

• there will be a few poser runners at London I reckon image  Me included image
  • it seems to have become an industry in it's own right POSE RUNNING
  • Yep you can go on a course to learn the correct technique to fall properly.. lol
  • lol , still waiting for my calves to stop aching from my 5.5 miles of forefoot running 3 days ago! Thanks to all for reponding & merry xmas image
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Squeakz - I think you made a good point when you said that you naturally run on your forefoot. I am the same and I often get asked about minimalist shoes etc. To be honest, my personal opinion is you can change how you run with great concentration and a willing to build up slowly. On the other hand why change something you do naturally? I am right handed and have never considered changing that!

The barefoot thinking goes back a long way when people were typically small, light and run trails the whole time. They most likely weren't looking at pounding out 50 - 100 mile training weeks on the road! I personally weight about 63kg and run as little road as possible, twice a week usually with the club. A guy who weighs 85kg (easily possible without being overweight either) and runs 5 days a week all on road is most likely not going to get away with the same shoe I wear.

Anyway, I think your natural stride is most likely the best one and I wouldn't look too hard at changing it unless you are seeking a resolution to a re-occuring injury or similar.

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    I agree with the not changing your natural stride. As it happens 'm a forefoot striker but run mostly half-marathon and marathon distances where I'm told being a heel striker is better. I don't feel inclined to change though because running how I run seems normal to me. However I do make sure I've got the right shoes for my gait. And yes, while other runners may have hamstring issues or knee problems, it's always my calves that play up!!
  • Ive been out today and ran 2 miles forefoot striking. I'm finding it so uncomfortable I think I will stick to the forefoot style on the steepest hills where I find it very benificial & much less effort.

As for flat & downhill I just find it so unnatural & its giving me serious calf pain. If I sit for more than 5 mins then get up to walk it feels like the calfs have siezed up until I get moving again image

Back to heel striking again for majority of my running !!