Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

Comments

• I wore road shoes last year .. although its off road in places it was fairly solid.   If we have a lot of rain could be interesting though!
  • Evening all!
    I'm in....
    I wonder what the forecast is saying for the weekend... Wild tonight!
  • Does anyone need local accommodation for the Friday and Saturday night?

I have booked a double room at the Premier Inn Southsea (right by the start) but can no longer race.  It is one of their super saver rate rooms so I cannot get a refund.  The room is booked for Friday and Saturday night and is £58 in total.

• Weather is hopefully looking better for Sunday, i think / i hope...!? Fingers crossed!

• Good luck to everyone doing this marathon. Let's hope that the weather treats us all kindly. This is my first marathon since London 1998 so I am looking forward to sun, sea, sand and lots of room to run!
  • Hi all.

Just read through all the comments as I was looking for the start time!

This is my 52nd and FINAL marathon of 2011. All will have been under four hours.

SO looking forward to it, as it's been a long old slog. A marathon a week is harder than I thought it would be, but has all been for two great causes. If you see me on the course (I have a 52Marathons vest), say hello! And there's a few of us heading for festive drinks and food afterwards at The Wine Vaults afterwards - to which anyone is welcome!

Enjoy the run (reluctant to say race!)

Kev

@52marathonman

www.52marathons.co.uk

• Brilliant running Kev! Well done and best of luck Sunday!

Get in touch with the guys on marathontalk.com they may give you a shout out!
  • Karen Ealey wrote (see)

Does anyone need local accommodation for the Friday and Saturday night?

I have booked a double room at the Premier Inn Southsea (right by the start) but can no longer race.  It is one of their super saver rate rooms so I cannot get a refund.  The room is booked for Friday and Saturday night and is £58 in total.

Karen, is this still available? Im chickening out of the early start, i fear if i dont stay over i just won't get my ass out of London to do it!
  • Good luck Kev thats some doing 52 marathons
  • Hope everyone enjoys it tomorrow. Sadly I'm not back to Blighty in time to make it. Never imagined I would be disappointed not to be able to run 26.2 miles! Would have been no 3 this year. Hope the weather stays dry!
  • Well 2 degrees at the start and dry is the forecast. Maybe a bit of headwind on the home run. Sunshine. I'll buy that.
    First winter mara, so the kit choice is tricky, having just spread it out on the floor it feels like I'm off camping not running!
    Good luck all, Kev will look out for you.
    NID
  • Good luck all. I ran part of this route (10-16 miles) yesterday for my LSR. It was blowy over the bridge. And difficult to avoid some of the puddles, but not muddy.

• A BIG well done to the organisers and to all the happy runners who took the time to say hi on route and after.
    Weather was ideal, and the company of all the other nutters (runners) made for and enjoyable romp in Pompey
  • Yep, thanks to all the marshals. Found it a lot tougher than I expected, but at the same time my training was very hit and (mostly) miss so that's a lesson for me. It was much more off-road than I was expecting, I'd guess less than 50% was actually on road.

Be nice to post a review but I can't see an option to rate the 2011 event, or am I just being dim?
  • I just reviewed what I thought was the marathon and then it turned out to be the half marathon! Very confusing as I was following the marathon link.

Good race, wind and ice were the challenges. The terrain was an interesting mix. Well organised. Thanks to the marshalls at the 3 way junction at about 2 miles/ 24 miles, they had a busy day.

• Brilliant race   image

The terrain was a bit more challenging than I anticipated, but all good fun.  I've never seen such well-stocked feed stations at a race!

• excellent marathon. the course and organisation was superb. well done everyone
  • I really struggled with this - first off roadish marathon, turned my ankle at 10 miles and hit the wall with a vengance at 18, but kept going and got a PB for what was my second marathon. Excellent organisation, friendly marshals, well stocked feeding and drinks stations, even for us plodders at the back, friendly atmosphere from other runners - think I'll be back next year, although I wasn't saying that at the 19 mile mark!

• Took the wrong turning today on two occasions and ended up running just over 27 miles image    First occasion I lost sight of the person in front just after the water station at mile 7 and came to a junction...  wasn't sure whether to go left or straight on....  no sign, so went straight on...  wrong image    Second occasion I was following two other people and I suspect we all missed a small sign around mile 25.  That probably cost me 3/4 of a mile.  Disappointing but I suppose I got to see some extra bits of Portsmouth that most others will have missed out on!

In other respects it was great and thanks to all the people who helped out.   One runner said he'd got lost last year as well, so perhaps a need for bigger signs next year?  Or perhaps some marshals at critical points?  A very kind person on a bike saved me going even further off piste at mile 25 and he said he was a member of a local running club and would have been very happy to marshal if asked... 

Anyone else have any problems or am I just blind as a bat?!

• I actually think that the entire field whent wrong when we crossed the road. According to the map, we sholdnt have gone over the fields before coming down onto the canal. We should have gone onto the road a lot earlier and then continued on the same side of the road. It made no sense to go down the steep bank, then under the road only to cross it again.

While the marshals that were there were excellent, there were too few, and the course marking were also too sparse.

That said, it was an excellent marathon, really enjoyed it. Good to see that a marathon doesnt cut out tough sections just for the sake of speed.

• Excellent race. Really enjoyed it. Thanks!
  • Yeah, it's a great run, and nice multi-terrain bits, beach n trail as well as road. Great weather too!

I thought the route was fairly straight forward, but always had other runners around to follow. 

well done to all the organisers and friendly marshalls. I forgot my chip, and told them at the end, they still added me into the results that came out very quickly.

• thoroughly enjoyable race - the course could have done with clearer marking around the langstone industrial estate but otherwise brilliant race - loved the section down the Hayling Billy

the aid stations were brilliantly organised - and very enthusiastic

• If you leave feeback for the event it's updating the Half Marathon event, not the full one. I've emailed RW to ask them to fix it. So, hold off providing feedback until it's fixed
  • My first marathon

Great day, enjoyed the course and very well stocked feed stations even for us slowies at the back never run out.

Nearly got lost at one junction maybe a little better signage next year.

enjoyed the mixed mud, grass and tarmac/paths
  • This was my 11th marathon of the year and it was a most enjoyable multi terrain course with good weather conditions and was well organised.

Great technical shirt & medal at the finish.

Hope to be back in 2012 for the 3rd "Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon"

Well done guys.

• My first marathon (of what I hope to be many) and loved it. Well apart from the last 2 miles - that beach front just kept on going!!

Generally well marshaled - I also went wrong with going over the field and under the bridge so definitely need to have someone on that corner to stop people following the crowd and the line of empty water cups on the ground. At least I knew better for the way back.

Very happy the shingle section wasn't longer!!
    Good post race goodies and times up quick. Will be back next year.
  • Beautiful sunny days run. Loved the mixed terrain. Didn't like being able to see right back across the habour after the turn-a-round!!

Anyone know where / when the photos are coming??