Talkback: Marathon Plan: Strength Training

How many reps/sets are you supposed to do?

Comments

• moyna, If your a begineer to these exercises start with 3 sets of 10 over 3 sessions then build from there x
  • can sumone help,i used to be really fit as a teenager. Im now 36,19 stone, 48 waist,ex alcaholic but not touched it for nearly a year, im married, bit of a loner, hav mental health issues bipolar etc, used to smoke 60 a day now down to 20. im waiting for 2 back operations of which i havent had a date yet due to other medical facts. i hav no friends and no self esteam what so ever. i want to like myself again for me and my family. could tou sugest sum sort of training program for  me please after my opps and what sort of weight should i be? im 6 ft and quite broard . i just need a bit of help. spastic,wheels,fattymong, gettin sick of thease names espesialy when my children are with me. i just need bit of help, i no i cant do nothing untill my opps are don, or can i? id be very greatfull of any advice or help. thank you for your time. lee
  • Best advice Lee would be to talk all this over with your GP. They should be able to give you advice on where to start.  Another option after you talk to your GP is to perhaps join a local gym and get some fitness / training advice from the instructors in there. 

You might also consider doing some of the organised classes that are on in gyms/leisure centres, but make sure you take advice from your GP or gym instructor about your fitness / training levels etc first.

Gyms / Leisure Centres can be good places to meet new people and get out more.  Take things slowly and you'll get there.

• Some leisure centres help you out by starting right at the beginning, even with walking. regular walking will help with fitness and weight. This is a good place to start esp if you can develop an interest in something outdoor like plants, birds, wildlife or if in a town then archetecture, history, being nosey. (I like that last one, I like looking at peoples gardens).

There are some threads on here that help with weight loss and mental health issues. You'll find that you are not alone and may benefit from the supporrt of others. Talking online is good but don't let it get in the way of real life. You still need to get out their. It's easy to hide behind the pc.

Swimming is quite sociable and open to everyone. If you go at a regular time you'll start to recognise the regulars and start chatting. One lady I know can't swim so she just walks up and down the pool. She gets out, gets to chat with others, is managing her weight and health issues and seeing the results of her efforts.

We all feel self conscious at first but no one is watching you except yourself so don't worry. Those that call you names  - well that's their problem not yours.

• Your GP can put you on a gym referral which is a 12 week course. You will get all the help and advice. Have you considered Weight Watchers or a similar product, i used WW and it worked.

• I would like to ask has anyone got a solution to my dilemma. I have been a runner for over twenty years now and have a right foot that is flat (overpronate). I have had bespoke insoles made for my trainers, in addition I run in structured Asics trainers (kayano and DS trainers). The issue I have is I can’t seem to improve my times since my speed sessions still cause me some pain when running in the Achilles area of the heel (my right foot tends to flop down heavy rather than land on the toes, as per my left foot).

I know having read a lot about the subject that there could be exercises I could be doing (rolling ball under arch) but I just want to run and believe there should be something I could try (new trainer type) without going through a tedious exercise programme.

I am 48 male and have run 5 marathons, and planning to run Manchester’s marathon in April this year. I want to improve my gait and hence my speed and will welcome any advice.