Not enough Calories?

I have recently made changes to my diet, I have become veggie and cut out some of the more sugary and fatty snacks. I have been keeping a food diary and have worked out my average daily intake which is 1800KCal per day.

Now I am an adult male, in their mid 40's sedentary job, running 3 times a week. My weight loss is 3lb per week at current, I have 4 stone to lose but I don't want to crash the weight but come off sensibly.

Question is am I eating enough especially on training days and should I look to up my calorific intake?

Comments

• That does seem rather low for a man and that could definitely result in fatigue after a while. Generally you should only cut 500 calories from your maintenance intake for sustainable weight loss. There's all sorts of BMR calculators out there, but the average maintenance calories for a man is 2,550.

Try 2,000 for a while, and more after you run. Again there are calorie calculators out there, but a finger-in-the-air estimate is aruond 300 for a 30-minute run. Don't forget to make sure you're getting plenty of protein to repair your muscles. Good luck!

• Thanks Holly, it is a bit of a nightmare trying to balance in and out at the moment. My fat intake and simple sugar intake has plummeted, and I don't feel hungry after a meal or for quite a while after.

I am snacking on fruit through out the day but I think I may need to look into consuming some nuts as well to help.
  • I would suggest to increase your intake (at least 2200 kcal/day) and also split it into more meals. Eating 6 times a day is optimum and accelerates your metabolism..

Also I'd say to increase your good fat intake. Peanutbutter is considered to be a super-food (especially organic without added sugar). Try to combine it with good carbs (gorgeous on apple slices and exceptional in a sandwich with banana slices.. Peanutbutter & banana sandwich is the best recovery food for me). Not sure if you have managed to succesfully replace your protein after becoming veggie?

• Unfortunately I can't stand peanut butter. I have been eating eggs and cheese but mainly goats cheese. It seems one of the downfalls of a veggie diet seems to be every recipe is cheese loaded so have been trying to eat sensibly and vary my dairy intake as that is my main source of protein.

My worry is as I increase distance this is when I will hit a problem. Thanks for the tip about eating more often I will have to plan my meals rather than just eat.

• I am having an egg roll (wholemeal) and a banana in the morning and an extra banana in the afternoon. My weight loss has stalled mainly due to inactivity caused by hamstring, but back into it now so it should come off again.

My daily intake looks like this at the moment

Breakfast

2 slices wholemeal toast + marmite and OJ
    or
    Porridge and OJ

Snack

Egg Roll + Banana + Cup decaff coffee

Lunch

Homemade Soup + Homemade Wholemeal Roll + Banana + Apple + Satsuma

Snack

Banana + Decaff Coffee

Tea
    Veggie Currypasta or Salad. Fruit or my treat 4 squares of Green and Blacks

I also drink 3-4 pints of water a day.

• DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    Average maintenance calories for a man is 2550? Must be a big, physically active average man they are using.

BMR for me at 74kg is 1750. Obviously that is completely sedentary, but I don't burn another 800 calories walking to the tube and sitting at a desk.

• I have a set of scales that do weight, BMI, Water, fat, BMR

Currently says based on current height and weight my BMR is 2200kCal per day
  • I am having an egg roll (wholemeal) and a banana in the morning and an extra banana in the afternoon. My weight loss has stalled mainly due to inactivity caused by hamstring, but back into it now so it should come off again.

My daily intake looks like this at the moment

Breakfast

2 slices wholemeal toast + marmite and OJ
    or
    Porridge and OJ

Snack

Egg Roll + Banana + Cup decaff coffee

Lunch

Homemade Soup + Homemade Wholemeal Roll + Banana + Apple + Satsuma

Snack

Banana + Decaff Coffee

Tea
    Veggie Currypasta or Salad. Fruit or my treat 4 squares of Green and Blacks

I also drink 3-4 pints of water a day.

• Hi Adrian,

Everything I read suggests that 2 lb a week is an undesirable but theoretically possible rate of fat loss, but that 1lb per week is much healthier.

Even that's very aggressive...

If your BMR is  2200, then you are  going to feel rubbish if you eat less than this as a bare minimum.  Why not consume at least this amount?  It won't harm any fprogressive fat reduction plans, but you will feel better andhappier!

• Thanks quest,

I am upping the intake but I am actually finding it quite difficult to actually consume the amount required without slipping back to sugary snacks and high fat snacks.
  • Hey Adrian,

Been in exactly the same position, so know how it feels.  It seems to be okay to keep a reasonably high level of fat (<30% of total calories), so long as those fats are mostly high-quality and unsaturated - olive oil, fat in oily fish, etc.  The weight still goes down and you're not left feeling starving the whole time - a real danger of this if you cut back fat and sugary carbs together. This is from my personal experience but I seem to remember an article about this in a recent RW magazine, too.

Hope you find hte magic formula that's right for you.