Can you use Compeed blister plaster on broken skin?

Hello

I've got a very sore patch around 1p size on a small bunion on my left foot.  It was caused by a shoe when I went out last Friday, the shoe has totally rubbed off the skin so it's raw and very painful.  So far I have been using the Savlon spray  which is helping it heal but not fast enough lol! I've hobbled around work today in my running shoes as they are the widest, most comfortable shoes I have but I'm doubting my ability to run in them at the moment.

Tomorrow I have a Christmas handicaps race that I really want to do as it's always good fun.  I need something to help me with the foot though - can you use Compeed blister plasters on skin that's already broken? Or does anyone have any other suggestion?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• I have a number of times......just problems getting them back off so best to just let them stay on for the week or two......till they fall offimage
  • Ok that's fine, I always wait for them to fall off on their own I just wanted to make sure it would still heal under the plaster?
  • I raced on Sunday with a compeed equivalent over my  heel rubs with extra tape  (smooth style) over the top of them just to make sure the edges didn't wrinkle!  Worked a treat and my "rubs"  feel no worse than they did before.  Am with seren though - I'm not taking the coverings off until they fall off by themselves!

Hope you have a good race - enjoy! image

• And was the skin broken that you stuck it on?
  • Yip - my spikes skinned both heels the weekend before (don't know why they were fine the last time I wore them).  I had nice blood soaked/mud splattered socks and couldn't face shoes for 2 days but managed to test-run 4 days later and they were ok with the above combo in place.

smilies/smile_smiley.gif

• Fab! (not about the bloody heels, sorry about them image) but great news re the plaster.

Thanks both image

• Yes they will work, but beware, if you put them on without first cleaning them you put yourself at risk of infection. I had real bad feet after a long run, and was hospitalised after my foot swelled up like no tomorrow.

Good luck anyway!

• I stuck it on yesterday morning after blasting it with the savlon iodine spray first.  it's hard to tell what's going on under there, there's a big white bit (it's not manky looking and doesn't hurt when you press around it) but there's one bit in the white bit that is very painful.  I accidentally kicked it earlier and it brought tears to my eyes.  In the event of an emergency (ie the foot swelling as mentioned above) how do I get the plaster off without ripping off my skin?
  • Well that's the problem, i found putting it under warm/hot water helped, just to loosen both skin and plaster. Otherwise, don't pull it all off at once, remove little strips at once using scissors. This REDUCES the pain!

• Callum Wilson wrote (see)

Well that's the problem, i found putting it under warm/hot water helped, just to loosen both skin and plaster. Otherwise, don't pull it all off at once, remove little strips at once using scissors. This REDUCES the pain!

But does not stop it lol.  I tried pulling one off once, never again image
  • To take the plaster off before it comes off, don't pull it upwards because this hurts like the blazes. You can use hot water if you like, but tease the edge up and pull it ALONG the skin slowly as flat as you can.

They get a white spot above the blister or sore - this is where the gel is acting as a drawing poultice to draw out the fluid or pus away from the wound. This is a normal  thing which happens with the gel bandage and it is supposed to help the healing. It also keeps a microenvironment stable around the wound so it doesn't get damp when you have a shower (unlike band aid type things which always leak).

And yes you are supposed to wash and dry the wound first. Also don't put stuff on udner the bandage; no savlon or rawleighs.

• I've used Compeeds on big raw bits of broken skin a few times and they've always worked brilliantly for me. No savlon or antiseptics etc required, just trim off any loose flaps of skin, wash the manky bit, rinse well, then make sure it's properly dry before putting the patch on. A hairdryer on cool setting can help with that. Then just leave it on till it falls off by itself which could be anything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. And if you want to remove it sooner than it wants to be removed, just go swimming. LOL!