Iceland marathon 2009

I am so disappointed with my time at Edinburgh this year (irrespective of the heat issues) and it's a long time to Loch Ness that I have decided to enter the Iceland marathon in August. Flights booked this morning and then thought "What have I done..." lol! image

Anyone else going, or done this marathon before. Some comments on the course, etc would be welcome.

Cheers!

Comments

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Sure there was a feature on it in an earlier issue of RW - I've probably still got it lying around if you can't find it.
  • Ok thanks - I thought that more folks would be up for this one being different to the norm and the typical. Seems not.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Mark - Think i read about it possibly in RW. And thought i'd like to do that one year. Sorry can't be of more help
  • I thought about iceland but have decided if I am going to do another to console myself after Edinburgh (cos I cant wait til Abingdon) it will be Isle of Man as that is easier for me with flights. Iceland would be about 3 times the price
  • I've done the half marathon - from what I can remember ... first couple of k hilly and scenic, then you hit the 'burbs and the coastal road ... which is OK.  Then there's a monstrous out and back along an undulating dual carriageway where you might as well be in Staines or somewhere ... that's about 10k maybe ... then the half marathoners finish and I think the marathon goes round the coastal path, which is fine unless there's a strong wind!    Lovely atmosphere and the organisation is suitably ... Icelandic.   Has the potential to be a fast course, but the weather will play a bit part in this!

If you haven't got accommodation sorted out, the youth hostel is great if you're on a budget, the central campsite will be heaving and very noisy; we camped out of town, lovely and quiet.   

• how'd you find it?