Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭

KC - if you are doing 16miler ~6:45pace in training then you should be breezing under 3hrs. Your mileage and frequency and therefore endurance is low. Easily fixed just run more often and put in a midweek medium long run. If you build up to 5 or 6 runs/week then the mileage will look after itself.

Gobi - nice one on the pass !

12M bagged for me earlier, so I must be a pass too.

• Hi All

Been lurking around here for a good while.

A small question if I may:

I will be passing through London this week. Can anyone recommend a good running shop in the centre, where I can get some good advice on shoes etc.

Thanks

• Gobi -- it took me a while to cotton on to what you did -- tremendous stuff.

Also very impressive mileage from you SL.

Welcome Kevin -- I set great store now by ensuring I do some near-, full- or slightly over-distance training runs. The last few miles of the marathon are (for me) the ones that make all the difference to the overall time -- they are were whole minutes are lost all too easily -- and I'd like to think that preparing for the full distance also reduces the agonies to endure there. Mind you, I still suffered rather in the last couple of miles of the VLM this year. Ironically though, I'm generally a low mileage kind of guy too.

Nothing to report here except totally unexpected DOMS in my calves -- was it from the unimpressive 4x0.5M reps on Sat or the hilly, modestly-paced, medium-long run on Sun? I'm mystified.  Ah well, at least there must be some training effect to be had.

• SwissPhil wrote (see)
    I will be passing through London this week. Can anyone recommend a good running shop in the centre, where I can get some good advice on shoes etc.

There is a small clump of running shops in Kensington High Street:

http://www.runnersneed.com/store-kensington/content/fcp-content

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=running+shop+south+kensington&ll=51.499416,-0.19747&spn=0.003383,0.006539&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=running+shop&hnear=South+Kensington,+Greater+London,+United+Kingdom&t=m&vpsrc=6&fll=51.499446,-0.196595&fspn=0.006766,0.013078&z=18

•  TR

I'm doing around 3 runs a week just now but struggling with plantar since Chester had limited my training, as well as 2 young kids!!!. My normal routine is 13/15miles on a Saturday with a few hills, 13/14 on a tues with my running club, then wotever i can get away with without pi$$ing the wife offimage. My last long run was 15.5 undulating miles in 6.48's. I tend to start with a slower paced few miles then build on it from there.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/133631127

• Kevin, being a relatively low running mileage guy myself, I used to run my long runs at as fast a pace as I could manage, and every year I'd die a death in the last few miles of a marathon. More recently I haven't worried about pace too much, sometimes I don't bother timing my long runs at all, and marathon times have fallen. Now, that could simply be down to several years of endurance training finally being of benefit, but there's something to be said for not focussing on speed all the time. If I tried to do all my long runs between now and April at marathon pace I'd be knackered by then!

Maybe you youngsters can get away with it though image
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    KC - you need to stop for a while to get your foot sorted then and then you need to go to the alarm clock shop with MtR. Make your training more invisible to the rest of the family. I've done VLM off 2 or 3 runs/week and its a struggle.
  • KC - I agree with TR, get injury free then ramp up the frequency.
  • KC - plantar can't be messed with, upping the milage / intensity with that won't be an option
  • Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd check in - it's been a while since I posted (since the Great South Run I think). Some great running going on - pretty intimidating stuff from SL and Gobi... keep it up. Hi to KC and good luck to Joolska too as the big run draws near.

I'd told myself that I'd scale things back after Berlin and the GSR and build up again to Barcelona in the new year. Typically, I'm not really sure I've kept to that... Moved to Highbury and have enjoyed bumping into marders a few times running the canal/Victoria Park. Does anyone else here run that way?

November was a 200 mile month (despite a 5 day break visiting friends in Germany and overindulging rather too much). Overall average was 7 min miles, with some 16-18 mile runs thrown in there.

I've already clocked up 190 miles this month. Particularly pleased with a 20 miler last weekend split into progressive 10k sections of around 7mm, 6:30mm and 6mm). The fact that I picked up the pace so much in the last 10k in Berlin to finish at 2:51 has made me keen to get below 2:45 (maybe even pushing 2:41 or 2:42) for the next marathon.

On which note, other big news is that I've just found out I'm off on a secondment to Rome for 6 months in March. I was planning on Barcelona at the end of March but that's just after I move and the Rome marathon is a week earlier/a week after I move there so I'm now thinking I'll do that. I don't think it's as quick and there are 7k of cobbles but seems like the right move. Has anyone here run it before?

Hope all are well.

Lev
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Good to see you popping back in Lev, definitely a prospect of a few minutes off that 2:51 by the look of it.

KC.. agree with the advice, runners have to land on the bottom of their feet one way or the other.  Sort the problem out first so you can train pain free, you'll be glad of it.

Jools.. fingers crossed for crisp calm days, at the moment it looks like Friday might be a bit damp but otherwise ok.  Changeable weather though. 

Great stuff from SL & Mr Boat; seemingly in good nick already.

Nice early miles TR & Gobi, a good advert for the benefits of an alarm clock.  image 

4.2m on the treadie early doors & 7m with the club tonight.  I do believe it is warming up a touch. 

• Gobi - Great to see you on Sunday, even if it was only for about 10secs. Will defo look to sort out my Mara PB next year as instructed image
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice one MR_I

Wardi - solid double there, very warm out today.

Lev - enjoy the secondment, nice to know you are still doing a bit.

Another 10.4 miles for me this morning, much smoother than yesterday so all good here. 93 miles in the last 6 days sounds like training to me.

Playing roller hockey this evening, this is my annual dust of the kit old boys match. Last year it hurt so tomorrow I expect to be sore. There will be no run tomorrow morning.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

nice to see that Lev is still at it

10M more here too

• Flippin quiet in here; better post some marathon training stuff.

Switched Tuesday and Wednesday's runs around to accomodate seeing some of my family tonight for my Birthday (46). So did 12.2mi followed by tonights LT session; 9mi with 4@ HM pace which came out at 6m/m into a noticable wind. Felt much easier than it did about 4 weeks ago so I think the fitness is improving. Interesting to see how it holds up as the mileage piles up....first taste of yule log tonight; birthday treat.

• Many happy returns Mr B! Good training too.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    MrB - happy b'day. nice training, good pace too. 12M y'day and 9M today is nearly as good as 12M y'day and 10M today, although I bow to your pace, my miles were all up and down the hill.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Aye, happy birthday indeed Mr Boat.  Nice pace into the wind and I like the sound of that yule log!

Charlie.. glad to hear you are doing less of a dodgy Sri Lankan bowler impression when you're out for a run now!  Hope the arm/shoulder keeps improving.

13m run home tonight, nice to be back in shorts and only one layer!

• I've been impressed with your spate of 13M commutes home recently Wardi. Logistically, how do you get to work in the morning -- is it a short run (so you're just doing a long way round on the way back), or some kind of one-way transport? (When I do 13M-type runs on the way to work, I tend to plod the direct 3M home at the end of the day.)
  • Happy birthday mr b, some pretty good training goin in this thread nice one people image that was a good article about the new zealand marathon runner image
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Wardi - still banging on the drum nicely, good man.

Turbo for me today, 90mins inc some higher cadence and bigger gear work. 

I guess that Jools must be on her way by now, I'm sure she wouldnt have started too early seeing as she's a bit of a pit dweller !

• Morning.  No autumn marathon here so just gearing up for the annual `why do I do this when I'm not very good at it' attempt at a spring marathon.  This year there is one in Hull two weeks before VLM so I thought I'd give it a whirl.  Training should be fun, anyway.  Nice to see the old familiar faces on here.

So the training has kicked off with 8/5, 20 miles along Bournemouth seafront / Poole Park / Sandbanks (blimey they're rich), 10, 12.  All slow but they don't hand out medals for training paces in December.

• Not been on for a bit as I've had trouble logging myself in. Clueless how I managed it today.

Good to see Wardi up and operational and nailing the big mileage once more. I hope you crack the 3 next year, you deserve it as you're considerably more committed than me. I've opted for early retirement from marathon running due to total idleness.

Happy Birthday Mr Boat we share the same birthday except I'm now a V55.

Main reason I'm on is to wish jools all the best in her fund raising ultra. A great cause. I hope the body holds up to the punishment. I'll be following your progress with great interest on your blog.

Dull

• Afternoon all,

Think I may have seen Jools this morning around 7.30am, I wasn't really with it so could have been mistaken.

Wardi - Some great training mate, chuffed for you.

MrB - Happy birthday and nice session.

9 this morning puts me on 55 for the week, I've got another xmas party tonight so god knows if I'll keep my streak going tomorrow or not.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

BR.. good to see you dropping in, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist the Hull mara as it's your old stomping ground. image

Dull.. 4 months on the bench in the summer has contributed no end to a renewed running appetite for me, hope you re-discover some sort of mojo.

Charlie.. shortest 'as the crow flies' commute is 12 miles for me.  I prefer the last few miles along country lanes (instead of the cycle track alongside a noisy dual carriageway).  This takes it up to 13m or longer if I want to.  I get the bus to work & run home, just a question of having the right kit in the right places!

Good early work on the turbo TR.

Best wishes to Jools from me too, hope the wind is blowing the right way for her!

• 13.5 miles for me on Wed night at 7.20 pace and tonight it's speed work at the track with my running club. Tonight's run is 4 x 400m laps as a group then the 5th lap the last one to cross the line drops out then so on until only 1 runner is left. The last few laps with the quicker runners will be a killer. On a more personal note the disaster of my 3.04 at Chester has turned out to be the quickest male marathon at my club this year. The quickest female at the club did 2.41!!.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Hull marathon sounds good and should be a lot cooler than VLM, but who knows ?

SL - Jools running at 7:30am ? Cant have been ! Make sure you do a few morning miles to sweat that booze off.

went to see Arthur Christmas at the Cinema today, was quite a chuckle.

• Nice to hear from you BR, did you see these clouds I wonder? Clearly some kind of portent about your next marathon.