Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Comments

• Thanks Sam got the message loud and clear. Just done a running streak over the last 10 days but heading for a rest day or two now.  I have run a 1.49 half marathon on a flat course and did 1.50 at the Great North this year. I have done several halves in training around 1.53 so okay with that distance, feel confident about that..........its the second half of the marathon I am not so confident about. Look forward to seeing what your schedule consists of and would like a copy if thats possible or allowed.

Sounds like you are well equipped now, I have the old 205 garmin not discrete but it works once it gets started.  Might buy some Kayano's after Xmas if the ccard can stand it..............need some new trainers to see in the new program. All the best for the training..........I am looking forward to joining you on the journey, though mine will be about six weeks behind you..........you will have rocked a sub 4.30 by the time I head up to Scotland!!!image

• Hey Craig, just wanted to wish you good luck in your quest (you're sorta like me three years ago), and share my top tip regarding schedules. Have your significant other get a sheet of gold stars and commission her to stick one on each completed run.

Undeniably silly, but might be worth a try.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi Rennur, really appreciate the best wishes and all tips/suggestions etc are welcome. I like the idea of gold stars for completed runs... we are thinking about that very soon for my 17 month old... image She doesn't share my running thing so hoping that the x-mas gift makes up for it...

How have you progressed over the last three years? Long term motivation is always helpful too. Not sure how I'm going to feel after this, could stick to shorter distances and improve speed, keep main goal at marathon or maybe consider going further... Wondering what other, more experienced people have found.

Colin: No more cling film for me. Or hoping that the insurance company would payout if it got damaged image

mcs: The good thing about the phone was the maps were there to use right away. 1st time I've used a Garmin and looked at the data last night and sooooo good. Sure that I'll get information overload at some point, but so lucky and thankful to have it. Christmas has come early in the Douglas household this year. Tried the Kayanos on too in the store, felt REALLY good, but still not supportive enough for me. Am I right that you tried them at bootcamp? You looked very happy with one pair if I remember correctly... I can't wait to start proper training now, think Sam is tweaking the schedule at the moment so we'll 100% know what to expect soon.
  • The Kayanos were the trainers I tried on I thought they were the top supportive ones for over pronators? I nearly kept them on but I don't think I would have got away with it. Which shoes did you get? Evolution did you say...off to google then plod to work with some fartlek stuff.
    Last day for me!!
  • yeyyy Craig!  Have just read somewhere that you're hoping to do Fleet!  We've just entered too so we'll be there to cheer you on!

Off home now for Christmas so won't get much computer time so have a good time, will look forward to catching up with how everything's going when I get back (hopefully with my new trainers too - was feeling a bit left out but then discovered the voucher Asics kindly gave us at BC).

• Craig, I might be a cautionary tale about getting hooked.

I started marathon training on a 3 run per week schedule (~25mpw), and have gradually marched (trudged?) up to my current 5 per (~40mpw). After 5 maras, I've come down to 3:15, and am hoping for 3:10 next.

My biggest challenge is avoiding overuse injury. I've half learned to back off on (or even miss) a scheduled run if I'm not feeling 100%.

Shorter distances are perfectly good goals. I've leaned toward marathons as I'm dreaming of ultras in the future.

• Hi Craig, I've only just found out that you got through. I'm really pleased that our boot camp group have got a representative after all. Good luck with the training - can't wait to get all the details.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Sorry guys, just got back from work, thanks for your post!!! Wendsday are my late night and never get time to start posting. Got myself a running diary today, computerised records are all well and good, but I want to remember this. Sad sack that I am, keeping everything related to the project in the trainer box I got at the weekend. Yes: daddy did run marathons... Can't wait for plan or the report from BUPA... Also appears that I can use the forum fully cos I'm a mac user. RW are due to get to me after Christmas about this. Can post photos and proper links then...

mcs: I remember the smile you had. I thought they were too, but looks like these are now. Only been out for one run so far with them. Gonna keep the miles down to start with and rotate with my current adrenalines. I'm jealous of you lost day, in till Friday and off till 06/01. But my son has an operation on the third... Not really off...can't wait for the full schedule to come out and start training.

Sleepy: yea!!! I had to cancel Reading cos of the timing for Paris... But they have accepted that. Good not to waste a space. Have you done Fleet before? Not going to race it, but practice pace and fueling. Should have another one on 04/03 tempted with Birkensted or a the Lincolnshire poacher trail (but trail might be wrong)... Hope to see you there. Have a good Christmas mate.

Rennur: nice progression. I'm worried about potential injury (clearly as there is the pressure of this project) but hoping that Sam's mentorship will get me through the increase and teach me how to manage it. I have to admit to having A sub 4:00 at the back of my mind... Keep telling myself to see how I do with this and then consider my next step... First one will be to recover (without medical attention being needed image) Do want to try and crack a 1:45 at half in October. Maybe that will be goer???

Time: yea! One of group three made it. I really enjoyed the day. We had a really nice bunch. I'm over you lapping me now. Have to admit that stung a bit... I was really happy with my time though: 24:41... Don't think that's too shabby given how long I've been running. What half are you doing??(
  • Hi Craig. Sorry about that lapping image. It was your bright red top. I couldn't help myself.

Without the pressure of being in the forum five, I've decided to do my own thing in 2012: a couple of halves in Spring and the GNR and maybe a full marathon in the autumn. However, if you fancy doing the Newton's Fraction HM in Grantham on 11th March or the Leicester 10k on 1st April, it would be good to meet up and swap stories.

• Edinburgh marathon for me, then Great North, see you there time......might do some others but Edinburgh is my focus.
    Hope operation goes well for junior.......
  • Hi Craig, hope your final week of freedom from the training plan is going well  image- was great to meet you at the weekend. Sorry I've only been lurking on here this week as work has been insane and my phone can be a bit over keen and likes to double post whatever I say...as if I don't talk enough already huh?

You made me smile about the shoe box, as I was secretly doing the same!

Hope you have a great Christmas. I'm working so not heading down to see my folks, but hoping to make it down in the new year and if you don't mind will be picking your brains for where to run locally. Shamefully (I never recovered from actually getting lost in their house the first time I visited) I've only been down there a couple of times over the last few years so the only run I found was along the river to Ferry Meadows, then round and round the rowing lake as there was a training session on and I was secretly racing the boats (yes, I do have the mental age of a 10 year old). Sam has suggested some of my training runs need to be in flat places, and I'm suspecting your area is going to be much better than mine for that!!

• Phew...been a busy few days planning Craig, Rosie and Emma's schedules (respectively, for sub 4.30, sub 3.30 and sub 4.15. All my 'charges' (are they called mentees, does that word exist?!) have now seen their programmes and based on their feedback, am making final tweaks. Then each week, will be posting up their week ahead's training and explaining why I've altered it from the main schedule, if necessary. That might be helpful for alot of people, as it offers ideas on how to adjust the programme if it doesn't fit your life. Also, of course, I may adjust the schedules (a little, or a lot) as we go along based on how they respond and progress.

That's the thing about marathon training programmes. It might be the best schedule in the world but if it doesn't fit in with the reality of your daily routine, it's not gonna work!

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Time: no worries mate, took me back to my school days. Only that time I was making an effort and not hiding in the bushes with my mates... Booked in for Berkhamsted and Fleet halfs in March. was tempted by the 10k, but sticking to schedule. Let me know what your doing in the summer though, be really good to meet up.

msc:Enjoy it fella, my mate DT2 is doing it too. Was one Mrs Craig and I had a conversation about before deciding on MK. Cash a bit tight with my small person, so decided on nearer to home. Maybe next year/ when pay rise is authorised/my 17 month old goes to school... Be a bit of a wait then... Hope you enjoy, I've heard it's got a cracking vibe.

Rosie: Good to meet you too. I've been lurking on the other threads too and I'm also struggling with phone posts too. Nightmare, think the secret is not to resubmit the page and keep opening new ones. Safari won't let me post picture either (which is frustrating) I've been snowed under with work too to be honest. Off till the new year as of tomorrow and will take me till New Years Eve to de-stress. On the upside that should leave plenty for time for training. Still getting used to new shoes and having to take it really easy.

At least I'm not the only one with the box. It's vanish somewhere, only to appear in a few years (thats the hope anyway).

If your down then I'd be happy to point out some routes, but have to admit to going round the same place day after day... It is totally pancake around here, especially where I live right on the edge of the Fen, but the views can be stunning (all sky). Some of the wooded areas are nice as are the lakes at the back of Ferry Meadows. From town, its got to be a good 15-20 loop. If your up for a plod around let me know.

Sam: Thanks for the plan. Been thinking that it's good for me and my commitments. Looking forward to trying the short repeats, totally new to me. *excited*
  • What is it with work at the moment? We are stacked out too. Enjoy the break and hope the training goes well for you Craig.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Knight rider: you too mate. Last day till early Jan. Got to buy half a cow and loads of root veg in a bit. Then off!!! Been a crazy year...

The general question is: do I got for a short run tomorrow and then maybe an eight on Christmas Day??? Could be a bit strange for me as I prob won't have a hangover in the morning for the first time in years... Could do it while he meat in the oven and after the veg is prepped up. Good way to build up an appetite or the path to obsession? Opinions are welcome.
  • Sam - will you be letting us see their schedules in full as well as week by week so we can see how the whole thing has been planned out?

BoD - you sound really excited about the whole thing which is great to see and I am so pleased for you

All - Merry Christmas and have a great running new year !

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Thanks oscarr. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
  • Oscarr . I'm not sure to be honest. Will need to check what the protocol is with RW HQ! Might need to wait until after the Christmas break to do that.

But I'll post up the first weeks of all three programmes tomorrow.

BoD Hmmm! Christmas Day run. Well, no reason why not, I guess. But defo rest the day before if you're going to, otherwise you'll be running Xmas Day Boxing Day and 27th without a break... not good. And make sure you don't dry up the dinner!

Happy Christmas fellow runners. May 2012 be injury-free, pb-busting, happy and peaceful for us all.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Decision is made then. That is the route to silliness. Going to take Junior to the soft play area tomorrow and then out or for a run when he goes for a nap. Christmas day off and then into it on Boxing Day...

Sam: thanks for tapering that. Totally too enthusiastic at the moment... Don't worry about dinner BTW, I've never overdone Christmas dinner... All about the resting... Bit like running really...

Have a good Chistmas folks. Talk to you all on Boxing day!
  • Five miles in forty mins and it felt hard but ran with my youngest bro who has asthma he is doing really well with his running now as he only started in the summer.
  • OK, let's get this party started image

Here is BoDuke's schedule for the first week of marathon training:

Week One w/c 26/12/11 (20M)
    Mon 3M slow
    Tue 3M steady plus 4 x acceleration strides
    Wed Rest
    Thu 1M jog, then 1M brisk, then 1M jog
    Fri 3M steady plus 4 x acceleration strides
    Sat Rest
    Sun 8M (90 mins) slow (ideally off road – don’t be too concerned about pace)

A few things to explain. I am using the sub 4.30 programme as the basis for Craig's training, although he is potentially capable of running quicker than that. The reason for this is his limited training (under a year) and racing (only one race - a half marathon) experience. I don't want to push him too hard. However, I have increased the mileage slightly, because he is already exceeding the suggested starting point mileage. I've also put in slightly more 'quality work' rather than slow/steady runs and have changed 'walk/run' on the long runs to 'run', since he has already been running continuously for these distances. And, of course, there's been a bit of day juggling to fit in with Craig's schedule.

Acceleration strides first appear on day 2 of training - I use these quite a lot in my coaching to add an element of faster running to easy/steady runs. They help you focus on running with good technique - try to turn your feet over quickly (high cadence) but stay relaxed and fluid. Start by running at a comfortable pace, counting 8 strides, then speed up a little for the next 8 strides, accelerate again for the next 8 strides and once more for the final 8 strides (the final effort should be swift, but not an all-out sprint). So each effort is 32 strides, or steps, in total. Walk back to your start point to recover and repeat.

• Sorry, me again. Just wanted to share the pace guidelines I've set for Craig. We discussed the issue of the 'slow' running pace. He says he finds it hard to run that slow so I've suggested that he uses rate of perceived exertion (RPE) as his guide. ie. If it says 'Slow', you should feel as if you could run all day at that pace... pretty effortless. And if the pace isn't quite as slow as suggested, so be it.

PACE GUIDELINES Slow = 11.15 or slowerEasy = 10.30-11Steady = 10-10.15  Brisk = 9-9.30Fast = 8-8.30 (For 800s or shorter, go for the faster end of the spectrum)
  • My Sunday long runs I tend to end up doing alittle too quick probably 9.30 or quicker so will be using your guide and the heart rate monitor to force myself to go slower. I find when the family are home I am wanting after an hour or two I want to get back........this spring I think I am going to get out super early before they get up.
    Happy holidays all..........
  • Craig - all the best with the schedule - stick it on the kitchen wall and enjoy ticking the runs off so you can see your progress - first day today so enjoy!
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi Folks,

Hope you all had a good Christmas and not suffering too much... Looks like I'm eating leftover beef for another week or so...

Just got back from my first session. Did 3 miles with an average pace of 10:43m/m. Think this is higher than recommended because the first mile or so i was trying to get used to pace, so kept going up and down. The Garmin data shows much more constancy in the second two miles and somewhere around 11:15 to 11:30m/m. It's an interesting pace to work at and feels odd to start with, but once you get used to it you do feel like to could keep going all day without any issues.

Looking forwards to the acceleration strides tomorrow, something new to try out.

Thanks oscarr, it's printed and ready to go on the wall.

mcs: I know what you mean... going to require self-disapline and restraint on these runs. Not easy, but lets maximise the chances of getting to the start line and minimise injury potential. Well done to your brother too!
  • Do you have a time goal or is it see how you go? Six kms fell walking in the peak district muddy bogs with friends and kids then a pint in the pub..........
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    mcs: nice man, the picture of where you live are stunning. I'm so jealous. V flat round here and landscape a bit boring to be honest. Going to have to think about where to do my hills.

When entered was thinking about somewhere around 4:10, based on my last half time. But the aim is to get round sub 4:30 and see how the training goes. Does that make sense?

Oh, update on the pace thing: v good. Really feeling the run in my glutes, nothing painful or anything just exercise related feeling of being worked. Not had that before there, so that's really positive. Get as many muscle groups working as poss.

Also had the written report about fitness test. Will update tomorrow, when I don't have to type on my phone.
  • Boduke good luck mate. I am entering London first marathon ever this year so will closely be following this. Hopefully looking at sub 4 but keep telling myself finishing more important than time. Is your target London?
    Question for Sam. I am using RW sub 4 program and it is16 weeks so I start next week not this week. Have you started early?
    Kevin
  • Congratulations on making into the team Craig. I'll be following your thread, along with Emma, since you are both targeting times around my goal [4:20 - 4:30].

Have you been given any nutrition guidelines yet, or does that get covered nearer to the marathon?