Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Colin

Comments

• I'm doing Parkrun in fancy dress.
  • First 2 weeks of schedule here - will put second 2 weeks up in morning.

Week one: 38M

Mon: December 26: 4M easy in approx 35 mins

Tues: December 27: 5M slow in 40 mins with some gentle strides

Wed: December 28: 6M easy in 50 mins

Thurs December 29: 6M with middle middle 4 miles at marathon pace (7:30)

Fri: December 30: Rest

Sat: December 31: 5M easyin 40 mins or parkrun (5M with warm up etc)

Sun: January 1: 12 miles slow in 100 mins

Week two: 43M

Mon: January 2: 4M easy in approx 35 mins

Tues: January 3: 9M of 1.5M jog and strides, then 3 x 2M (or 13 mins) fast, with 400m (3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Wed: January 4: 7M slow in 58 mins

Thurs January 5: 1M, then 3M at 1/2M pace, 1M

Fri: January 6: Rest

Sat: January 7: 5M easyin 40 mins or parkrun (5M with warm up etc)

Sun: January 8: 13M slow in 108 mins

• Gul - The Nike plus talks to you but of course it's woefully inaccurate and not really worth the bother!
    Good to see your first two weeks in the flesh KR
  • What paces are those? (Bring back the maths geeks please image)
  • Thanks for posting the schedule Steve, seems quite steady for the first week image.
    If I was to do the Parkruns on the Saturdays, what pace would they be run at?

Gul, as Parkruns start at 9.00am, what constitutes an early run for you then?

What's your fancy dress on Saturday Speedy, Christmas or Goth theme?

6  miles for me tonight in a progressive stylee. Starting off @ 7.56 pace and ending up with mile 5 @ 6.20 pace. Then the last mile was a warm down, but still came out @ 7.30 pace. It's always interesting that perceived effort always comes out different and what felt realatively slow would have been MP!

• Here's an update of first 4 weeks with a little more pace information - In these early weeks don't see why the parkruns can't be hard - you could set off at marathon pace for first kilometre and then build the pace up to full 5k pace.

Yes first week is relatively easy

Colin Schedule

Week one: 38M

Mon: December 26: 4M easy in approx 35 mins (approx 8:45 miling)

Tues: December 27: 5M slow in 40 mins (approx 8:00) with some gentle strides

Wed: December 28: 6M easy in 51 mins (approx 8:30)

Thurs December 29: 6M with middle middle 4 miles at marathon pace (7:30)

Fri: December 30: Rest

Sat: December 31: 5M slow in 40 mins (8:00) or parkrun (5M with warm up etc)

Sun: January 1: 12 miles slow in 100 mins (approx 8:20)

Week two: 43M

Mon: January 2: 4M easy in approx 35 mins (8:45)

Tues: January 3: 9M of 1.5M jog and strides, then 3 x 2M (at 10k- 1/2M pace – ie 13 to 13:30) fast, with 400m (3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Wed: January 4: 7M slow in 58 mins (approx 8:20)

Thurs January 5: 1M, then 3M at 1/2M pace (7:00 pace), 1M

Fri: January 6: Rest

Sat: January 7: 5M easyin 40 mins or parkrun (5M with warm up etc)

Sun: January 8: 13M slow in 108 mins (approx 8:20)

Week three: 47M

Mon: Mon: January 9: 4M easy in approx 35 mins (8:45)

Tues: January 10: 9M of 1M jog, then 4 x 1M (at 10k pace – sub 6:30) fast, with 400m (2-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Wed: January 11: 8M slow in 65 mins (approx 8:10)

Thurs January 12: 6M steady in 45 mins (7:30)

Fri: January 13: Rest

Sat: January 14: 5M easy in 40 mins or parkrun (5M with warm up etc)

Sun: January 15: 15M slow in 2:05 (approx 8:20)

Week four: 49M

Mon: January 16: 4M easy in approx 35 mins (8:45)

Tues: January 17: 9M of 1M jog, then 7 x 800m (at 5k pace   ie approx 3:10) fast, with 200m (1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Wed: January 18: 9M slow in 72 mins (8:00)

Thurs January 19: 1M jog, then 4M (26-27 mins at 10M pace – 6:30-6:45 pace) brisk, then 1M jog

Fri: January 20: Rest

Sat: January 21: 5M easy in 40 mins or parkrun (5M with warm up etc)

Sun: January 22: 16M  - first 8 easy at 8-8:30 pace, second 8M at close to marathon pace (ie 7:30)

• Good to see the schedule taking shape, KR. Good progressive run yesterday. I'm usually out at about 5am even on a Saturday so I can cool-down, stretch etc... in time to make breakfast in bed for Mrs GD (that's eating the breakfast in bed, not making the breakfast while in the bed!). I want to make the most of Christmas Eve with the family, so parkrun will have to wait a week or two.
  • KR, you should know better by now! If I wore goth stuff it wouldn't be fancy dress, would it? It would just be me being me! I will be dressed as the fairy off the top of the Christmas tree. I have a lovely pink tutu and wings.
  • I see Steve is still the night owl we've all grown to expect over the years! Get some sleep man!
  • KR - Colin, these mileages look like my peak ones (!) so unfortunately I won't be following your thread for training advice as I will get tempted to do more miles and I'm trying to be a bit more cautious this time and also targeting a much slower time than you (4hrs).

Good luck with the schedule and i'm sure you will enjoy the journey to Paris.  Merry Christmas. 

• Thanks for posting up the 4 week schedule Steve. Only thing that puzzles me is some of the Tuesday night runs of 9 miles. I was adding up to the W/up & W/down plus the reps & the recoveries and they don't add up to 9 miles? Should there be more/longer warm up and warm down?

Like the schedule & looking forward to starting it.

You can still check in now & again Oscar, would be good to see how you are getting on and what schdule you are following.

• Thanks KR but I think I would be wasting Steve's time and I need to keep my motivation and confidence high.
  • KR re the Tuesdays they are approximations and maybe on the generous side but with the reps, the recoveries and warm up and warm down they should be able to get close  ie with a 2 mile warm up including strides etc and a good 10 minute warm down etc. The mile warm up and warm down are minimums.

Just to clarify re paces they are rough guidelines not essential to get to too close except on the key sessions and certainly the original schedule had numbers rounded up, and where the schedule said things like 4 x 1 mile or 6 minutes, it didn't mean you have to run the miles in 6 minutes - just if you didn't have a measured circuit run for 6 minutes and stop. It wouldn't matter too much if the distance in the time might have been short. Also if you ran the reps hard and you ran an accurate mile and only ran say 6:40, it wouldn't necessarily be a problem in ultimately running a sub-3:15.

Each week and each session should be run at the right pace and effort for how you feel that day and not necessarily the exact time on the schedule. Sometimes that may be slower than down and occasionally faster if it fits into the week plan.

• Burning the midnight oil again Steve!
  • Thanks for clarifying that Steve, I know there will be good days and bad days, hopefully more good than bad!
    Was planning a Parkrun this morning, but a poorly wife a trip to ASDA beckoned. Instead of being at the Parkrun start line at 9.00am, I was instead in aisle 18 getting a bag of sugar to make a pavlova for tomorrow's lunch (amongst other things).
    After getting back and doing some more chores I managed to get out for a steady 6 mile run.
    How did your Parkrun go Speedy?
    Merry Xmas everyone!
  • One of the chores this morning (among many!), cutting down a branch from the garden so we could hang it from the ceiling and decorate it, looks better than it sounds…

/members/images/77921/Gallery/Xmas_stick_0.jpg

• Erm, nice branch KR. Parkrun was slow. A PW in fact. One photo has already appeared on Facebook. I await the horror of the one where we're actually 'running'.
  • KR -   Impressive decorating skills, good luck with the training.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    We need to see the pics on here, Speedy
  • I won't pollute KR's thread. If the official pics ever go up on Facebook I might put one on the 3.15 thread.
  • Looks like a good first four weeks KR.  Nice decorating skills image.

Have a good Christmas all image 

• Speedy, you are more than welcome to off load any pics you like on here - agree with Birch, we need to see any evidence!

Hi Martin, I've copied & pasted the first 4 weeks into a document I have set up, probably not on a par of your excel expertise though image. I like the mix of easy versus harder sessions that Steve has put in there. Seems like a good balance to me. I plan to post up lots of stats about the runs etc at the end of each week to say how it's all gone.

Are you running over the Xmas period Steve?

Happy Christmas everyone.

• Happy christmas - not much running for me  as calf trouble during xmas eve parkrun and probably week at least off maybe 2 or 3.
  • Shame about the calf problem Steve, hope the rest does it good.
    Manic day so far today, early start with my 2 excited boys and non stop cooking & eating.
    Got some tickets to see Michael Mcintrye next September - seems like ages till then, but looking forward to that.
    Enjoy the rest of the day.
  • First day of the schedule so I wish you all the best - it's great to start ticking the runs off !!

• https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/395932_296615103708023_100000786076576_804767_1988482563_n.jpg

The official pics are still yet to make an appearance on Facebook, but here's one from before the race. Would you believe Vicki ran the Great North Run in that huge dress, on a boiling hot day, in less than 2 hours.
  • can see why you were a bit outside your PB in that costume SG
  • Very fetching costume Speedy.

KR - make sure you give us loads of stats and feedback on your training. Always interesting to see what others do and what benefits you get.

I can also trump you on the tickets. I got some to see Kevin Bridges next November!!!
  • Nice picture speedy, and pink gloves too - very nice! 2 hours in a dress like that is good, you'd think your feet would keep catching on the dress?

Don't worry Martin, there'll be more stats than you can shake a stick at! Kevin Bridges is a funny guy, although you have to listen carefully to understand his strong accent!

First run of the campaign this afternoon. Scheduled for 4 miles, but staying at an unfamilair running area (my parents) it came out at 4.5 miles. Average pace was 8.25 min miles, with my slowest being a whopping 8.37!. I used the opportunity of going slow to have a nose at some old haunts I used to frequent when I was younger. Surfice to say there have been a lot of changes. Crewe has come a long way since the late 80's, it now has a Subway and probably one of the biggest Tescos I have ever seen - 2 floors and what appears to be trolley escalators?!