How did you do that!

I sprained my ankle today - nothing unusual in that except I did it stepping on a woolly hat! I know, and it didn't even have a bobble on it, it had fallen off the end of the bannister where hubby puts everything he can't be arsed to put away and I just stepped on the edge of it and - Ouch - over I went. I can't even blame the booze - I'd been on cups of tea all day!

So what other funny way have you got an injury?

Comments

• I must be the only one then, now I feel even more stupid!
  • BB ✭✭✭
    Ouch Sunluvva, how's your ankle today?
  • Hi B, feeling a bit better but still hurty, swollen and going a nice shade of purpley green!
  • You're not the only one - earlier this month 'im indoors went in for a hernia repair.  He was given compression socks to wear to prevent DVD and kept in hospital overnight.  At about 2p.m. he reached for a tissue, dropped it and instead of getting another from the box got out of bed to retrieve it - socks + polished floor = fall+skid - crash landed into bedside locker managing to black eye on way and on 'landing' knocked skin off top of scalp leaving him with quite an impressive tonsure....
  • Ouch Bear BH, I bet that caused the hospital management lots of paperwork and a full 'elf n safety enquiry image
  • All my injuries seem to be quite random, not so much embarassing, but random all the same!

I had a stress fracture, it was on my tibia (lower leg, inside of). I did not get this from running, I did not get this from jumping around like a maniac in circuit classes, I got this from doing an abs class where we had to do 'donkey kicks'. (This is where you are on all 4s: knees and hands, face down, back flat in a line limbs at right angles, you kick one leg upwards to the sky whilst maintaining balance on the other limbs). I felt something was too tight but I just kept kicking. I swapped legs and the pain/tearing feeling didn't go. That pain was too much to walk on and infact did not go away for a long while, and after many pointless and even harmful appointments I was diagnosed by a bone scan which told me I had a stress fracture all along!

I did sprain my ankle twice, both times AFTER a gym session. The first time as a result of an idiot leaving the top of a bottle cap on the stairs for a tube station. It was shoulder-to-shoulder so no one could see their feet, I slipped on the cap and my foot landed straight onto the side, ankle swelled up like a balloon and took about 2 months to heal properly by sensation and a further 2 for all the swelling to go down. A few months after that I sprained it again, walking to go to the changing rooms in the gym I saw a bin and my head and upper body were moving towards the bin to throw away the tiisues I had, my legs however had other ideas. Combine this with a ledge I'd have otherwise noticed to walk properly over...I slipped over the side and bang! Gone again!

The other injuries I have are all due to time worn joints and came on over time rather then anything else. I guess I've been lucky as in the past I've not fallen and broken anything or tripped and done something embarassing, I like this thread, its starting to make me feel a bit like I am infact coordinated (which I know is wrong because I'm always walking into things!)

• Ouch Jennn, hope all is unswollen now

Normally I'm ok but surrounded by accident prone people, my hubby has broken ribs several times either playing golf or just turning around too quickly and my mum is the only person in the world that I know of who has slipped on a banana skin and broken her foot!
  • Daftest injury was years ago.  Bruised both my thighs when running into an ajar gate, the wrong way, sending it hurtling to a wall where gate was forced to a sudden halt whilst I was still movingimage.
  • I broke my thumb while swimming .....no I didn't hit it of the side! And I got concussion from a squirrel falling out of a tree
  • Lol UltraCas - now that really is a good 'en image

I'd have loved to have seen that Stu - sorry to say I'd have been laughing my head off image
  • UltraCas, hope the squirrel fared better then your head (sorry- I'll bet your tierd of hearing people worry over the squirrel's longevity!)

Was thinking also about some of the random accidents I seem to have- normally purely accidental but also mixed with clumsiness: was putting an empty plate and cutlary into the kitchen sink but slipped about 2m away from the sink. The fork I had been using flipped up as I tripped and fell down, landed in the sink on top of another bowl which had a spoon in and smashed the bowl. It knocked the spoon which also moved suddenly enough to smash a delicate crystal glass on the side next to the sink (irnonicly I didn't put the glass in the sink because they tend to get smashed that way). The sppon/glass (wasn't sure which) knocked over a half empty cup of tea which fell then rolled onto the floor and lost its handle. Not happy!

It was so random though it really sticks in my mind. I break a lot of things because I am so clumsy but none have bettered that!

• You sound like my sister Jennn, she is soooo clumsy, always crashing and banging into things!
  • Sunluvva wrote (see)
    You sound like my sister Jennn, she is soooo clumsy, always crashing and banging into things!

I learnt this year that I am hypermobile (or have hypermobility in my spine) I always used to describe myself as 'clumsy' to my friends who at a girls school, love to over-think things and were sure for a while it was code for domestic abuse! (It really wasn't and within a few years of my company they could see this for themselves!) I have read sites on hypermobility and apparently being 'clumsy' is one of the side effects. Something about not having your brain fully coordinate with the unusual extensions and so not being fully in control of your own body because the joints are so lose. Apparently its something you can learn though just like you can lean any new skill.

I think calling it clumsy though makes more sense when your explaining to someone else why its not a good idea you become a waitress...

• I won't let my sister see that post, she'll start using that as an excuse when the truth is she doesn't think first and rushes into everything like a bull in a china shop!

I think my ankles might be 'hypermobile' though - I'm always spraining them and did it literally tripping over a matchstick once!
  • Sunluvva wrote (see)
    I won't let my sister see that post, she'll start using that as an excuse when the truth is she doesn't think first and rushes into everything like a bull in a china shop!

I think my ankles might be 'hypermobile' though - I'm always spraining them and did it literally tripping over a matchstick once!
    image your cruel! (You sound like me!!)
  • Glad I'm not the only one! I tore a knee ligament bending down to pick a can of beans up which had rolled under my car outside Asda's and then a week ago I feel down five stairs (no alcohol involved) at work. I don't know how I did it? My head knew I had five to go but my legs seemed to think I was at the bottom! Now I have a swollen foot which has every hue of purple, green, yellow and black imaginable. Only plus side is the gas and air the paramedic bought with him!
  • Ooops Kerry - lucky you getting gas and air, all I got was the whole family pi$$ing themselves laughing even though I was in tears! Sounds like we've got matching coloured feet, I think the flashes of purple going through the yellowy green is rather fetching;-)