How much tarmac can my studded shoes take?

I got a pair of Salomon Speedcrosses trail shoes from Santa. How much running on tarmac in these will damage the sole? I need to run about a mile from my house to get to the local trail each way and sometimes even two. Maybe a silly question but would like for them to last me as long as possible.

Comments

• To be honest salomon prodcuts are normally very robust but only if used for correct purpose. Do you have speedcross or spikecross?

Speedcross are fine with a bit of tarmac but arent overly comfortable on it.....as they are ideally a soft ground/soft wet shoe.

Spikecross are ideally for snow/ice and are even more uncomfortable on the balck stuff.

A better.....transition sho would be fellcross but only if you require the traction, otherwise i'd try a set of xr crossmax.

Personally would steer clear of xa pro's as in my experiance they just arent a running shoe.

• I think the question is "how much tarmac can my legs take whilst wearing studded shoes?" I don't think a couple of miles will hurt the shoes but you might feel your legs!
  • I got Speedcrosses. I was also eying up Inov8 Mudclaws as I run frequently on muddy trails and was looking for a shoe that could tolerate it, specifically for a show designed for soft surface and mud. I tested them on the muddiest footpath possible on Christmas Day and they performed admirably, no slip whatsoever. But I have to get to it, I live on the outskirts of a town and have to get to a trail first.
  • Ah in that case they will be fine as the speedcross arent studdedimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Tigerlily wrote (see)
    I think the question is "how much tarmac can my legs take whilst wearing studded shoes?" I don't think a couple of miles will hurt the shoes but you might feel your legs!

Was going to say....this is by far the more pertinent question.

In some snowy weather i wore some Walsh XC trainers for my runs, better grip, but I ended up doing most on unaffected roads.

Could feel the knees jarring a bit off 2 runs.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Bought a pair of Fellcross myself and was unpleasantly surprised to discover I'd already rubbed off about 25% of the stud length in less than 100 miles of mixed terrain running. I have ceased to use the shoes for any run that involves more than a couple of hundred yards of road since that was the surface the shoes were being abused on. There simply isn't enough contact area with studs to avoid extreme wear.

🙂

• Well, the question was not about effect on muscles and joints by running in those on tarmac but whether the studs or whatever technical name the bumps on the sole are called will be greatly affected by some exposure to the tarmac or whether they will wear away. Having used these for the last few weeks I can say no change so far, they are as good as new and running in slush and snow recently has wasshed off all the mud and now they look like new!