2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Teknik,

Good luck for that when it comes!  I'm finding I'm having to rethink my breakfasts since starting to take Adcal (calcuim suppliment as I have osetoporosis) and so I don't get any side effects I'm having to eat more before running than I use to but I find anything with milk in it (apart from a cuppa) causes the trots so if anyone on here can offer some advise then please go for it!

• I have read the DK book, thought it would be inspirational but it wasn't. Didn't like the man by the end of the book. Tremendous athlete but not sure I would want to spend an hour in his company if he wasn't talking about running.

Ian, hope you got out for your run, you really need to make time for yourself as well as everyone else.  It is not selfish, sometimes it just needs to be done.

Jason, glad you got the car out, would have been a sickener.

Rob, I am going with Hal Higdon Intermediate 2  - maybe add a few extra miles in but basically work around a 6-7 miler on the Saturday and then a  long run 10 up to 20 miles on the Sunday with semi-tired legs from the previous day.

In my previous existence when training for a mara all running was at MP or faster, cannot get my head around MP+45secs etc. Don't know how you are supposed to find the extra 45 secs on the day.

John

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    HY4: Sorry to hear about that...although it does sound like the perfect excuse for bacon and eggs on toast (no butter)...more appealing than soymilk pancakesimage 
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Teknik,

I'm going down a similar route without the eggs as my OH can't stand the smell of them & is allergic to them.  At the moment it's crossiant & flapjacks, not possibly the best but it's going to be a learning curve.

• HY4 - Sorry to say Its a very hard learning curve! I'm afraid i've got similar probs - dairy intolerence plus gluten and wheat intolerance and an egg allergy.Tried soya but got really bad stomach cramps??  Mealtimes are real fun in this house!!! At the moment I've settled on rice cakes and black coffee/tea?? For the moment its working although rather boring.image

Just done the second session of the day on the treadmill. The weather here is awful - gales that you can't stand up straight in and horizontal rain.image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Kaz,

Ouch.  Bet that causes huge problems.  I only get a problem with milk if a run of more than 60 min is involved.  I heard you can get flavoured rice cakes!  How about green tea?  I drink that at work because I can't stand bringing milk in as I only have a couple of cuppas in a day.

Well done on your run.

• Cheers guys, feeling a bit more confident about getting the application in on NY Day, but will  have to check it out with the girlfriend tomorrow....only get to spend time with her at the wkd and if i'm shooting off to Yorkshire every other wkd then it might not go down too well.....

FYI  No Pain - my family are from Coleraine, haven't been there for a few years but remember some excellent NYE when I was a youngster getting smashed with my cousins!

• 20 miles this morning, 10 into the wind and 10 with the wind to my back image
    Roster again it's just down the road.
    Also read DK's book and thought the opening was a load of bollocks...... Yep he has done quite a lot but others gave done more. A good read is Sir Steve Redgrave's book, not running related but very inspirational.
    Back to work tomorrow not home then till Thursday night.
  • NP- great runningimage

Just finished DK's book and enjoyed it. Thought that what he said about why he ran struck a chord....Made me want to stick the debit card in the backpack and run for 8 hours to see what it was like anyway.... Think I may be close to biting the bullet and entering the Cardiff Ultra (50m) in May. 4 weeks after VLM, so should be in peak formimageimage Actually, I don't think I have a choice- I'll have to do this thingimage 

Gobi- any advice on this? Thinking that I should approach VLM as normal, but with a couple of 7 hour LSRs added-?? 

I reserve the right to totally change my mind!image

• Found this site today:Running for fitness lots of good stuff, but what struck me was the race prediction page. Always found the Riegel formula way off for me, but the Cameron formula - new to me- on this site along with Riegel, was within seconds of my PBs at all distancesimage. Lots of good advice too
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Jason - I have rarely run over 5 hours in training for a 62 milers.

Definately wouldn't run for 7 hours maybe do a few double weekends

4 hours and 4 hours or 5 and 3 that sort of thing.

• Gobi- thanks- againimage Phew!image  Are you planning on doing Cardiff, or Barry track 40 this year?

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    4m easy this morning. Treadmill decided to go on the blink; Garmin failed to charge overnight, so was forced to run loops of 0.8m around the house...
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Never noticed but as we have moved to 2012 is there a marathon list?

10.4 miles run this morning, not fast but steady enough.
  • Nice Run Gobi, No running today but off out now for a 4 hr walk with Mrs AGF !!

2012 Marathons

AGF        Brighton, Abingdon

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Oh a list

2012 Marathons

AGF Brighton, Abingdon
    Gobi
    5 Tarn - January
    Gloucester 50km - January
    Quadzilla Day 2 - Feb
    Barry 40 - March

That gets me to March for now :¬)
  • Just under 6 miles this morning, a mile warm up, 6x4 minutes at around 6:50 pace with 2 minute recoveries and a mile cool down. An enjoyable run even if I have probably put on half a stone in the past three days...
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

MoscowFlyer,

Well done.

Gobi,

Well done.

-------

2.45 miles done this morning.  Next planned run on Saturday after work (2.45 miles) then on Sunday 3.1 miles.

• I am booked in for the manchester marathon in April, my first marathon, bit nervous ! furthest ive run so far has been 16 miles image
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Em,

Hi & welcome to the thread.  Good luck for Manchester.  I'll update the list with you on it image!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

2012 Marathons

AGF Brighton, Abingdon
    Gobi
    5 Tarn - January
    Quadzilla Day 2 - Feb
    Barry 40 - March
    Em Scott
    Manchester - April

• Jason - lol you nutter! image I'm interested in e running whilst eating pizza bit....
  • 2012 Marathons

AGF Brighton, Abingdon

Gobi
    5 Tarn - January
    Quadzilla Day 2 - Feb
    Barry 40 - March

Em Scott
    Manchester - April

Spoons
    Belvoir Challenge - Feb
    VLM - April
    Poppyline - June
    Fairlands Valley 50km - July
    High Peak Ultra 40m - September
    (this is very likely to change......)
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    22-Jan Gloucester 50k Gobi
    29-Jan
    05-Feb
    10-Feb Quadzilla day 2 Gobi
    12-Feb
    19-Feb
    25-Feb Belvoir Challenge Spoons
    04-Mar Barry 40m Gobi
    11-Mar
    18-Mar Rome Cjay85
    25-Mar
    01-Apr Sussex Mathschick
    01-Apr South Downs HopetoFinish
    01-Apr Santiago Liam3494
    08-Apr
    15-Apr Brighton Holly Liz, AGF, VikW, Dan Ellingworth, Solent Runner, Claire C, Luca79, Pete the Plod
    15-Apr Paris Roof gimp
    22-Apr London Jason D, Spoons, Fiona C, No Pain, Ratzer. Minni. HopetoFinish, Brizo, Pete Tizard, Muppley

29-Apr Manchester Rob Kilby. Em Scott
    29-Apr Milton Keynes Teknik
    06-May North Dorset Tim Lebbon
    13-May Halstead
    19-May White Peak
    20-May Windermere Rachael
    20-May Copenhagen Mon
    27-May Edinburgh Bodytalk, Mitiog, Jennie McC
    03-Jun
    10-Jun
    17-Jun Poppyline Spoons
    24-Jun
    01-Jul Lakeland Trails Tim Lebbon
    08-Jul
    15-Jul Fairland Valley 50k Spoons
    22-Jul
    29-Jul
    05-Aug
    12-Aug
    19-Aug
    26-Aug
    02-Sep Wolverhampton? SleepyCat
    02-Sep High Peak Ultra 40m? Spoons
    09-Sep Nottingham? Mathschick
    16-Sep
    23-Sep New Forest HY4
    30-Sep Loch Ness
    30-Sep Berlin ToffeeLiz
    07-Oct Chester Compo, Jason D,
    07-Oct Chicago Fiona C
    14-Oct
    21-Oct Abingdon AGF, HopetoFinish
    27-Oct Snowdon Jason D
    28-Oct
    29-Oct Dublin No Pain

(a) Sorry Gobi couldn't find 5 Tarn
    (b) Sorry for the appalling formatting
    (c) If I missed anyone or got anything wrong please amend and re-post
    (d) Yes I was bored

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Teknik,

Sorry got to edit this list and remove myself for the time being image! (Although I've added another marathon to the list for peeps).

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    22-Jan Gloucester 50k Gobi
    29-Jan
    05-Feb
    10-Feb Quadzilla day 2 Gobi
    12-Feb
    19-Feb
    25-Feb Belvoir Challenge Spoons
    04-Mar Barry 40m Gobi
    11-Mar
    18-Mar Rome Cjay85
    25-Mar
    01-Apr Sussex Mathschick
    01-Apr South Downs HopetoFinish
    01-Apr Santiago Liam3494
    08-Apr
    15-Apr Brighton Holly Liz, AGF, VikW, Dan Ellingworth, Solent Runner, Claire C, Luca79, Pete the Plod
    15-Apr Paris Roof gimp
    22-Apr London Jason D, Spoons, Fiona C, No Pain, Ratzer. Minni. HopetoFinish, Brizo, Pete Tizard, Muppley

29-Apr Manchester Rob Kilby. Em Scott
    29-Apr Milton Keynes Teknik
    06-May North Dorset Tim Lebbon
    13-May Halstead
    19-May White Peak
    20-May Windermere Rachael
    20-May Copenhagen Mon
    27-May Edinburgh Bodytalk, Mitiog, Jennie McC
    03-Jun
    10-Jun
    17-Jun Poppyline Spoons
    24-Jun
    01-Jul Lakeland Trails Tim Lebbon
    08-Jul
    15-Jul Fairland Valley 50k Spoons
    22-Jul
    29-Jul
    05-Aug
    12-Aug
    19-Aug
    26-Aug
    02-Sep Wolverhampton? SleepyCat
    02-Sep High Peak Ultra 40m? Spoons
    09-Sep Nottingham? Mathschick.  Bacchus Marathon
    16-Sep
    23-Sep New Forest
    30-Sep Loch Ness
    30-Sep Berlin ToffeeLiz
    07-Oct Chester Compo, Jason D,
    07-Oct Chicago Fiona C
    14-Oct
    21-Oct Abingdon AGF, HopetoFinish
    27-Oct Snowdon Jason D
    28-Oct
    29-Oct Dublin No Pain
  • Teknik - you've been busy image
  • Hi

Thats a big list!! 

I'm doing Paris and probably Loch Ness, was going to be Dublin but we'll see. Also thinking about the New Perthshire Marathon on 10th June??  Would 3 be to many??

• 5.5 miles today in my new leggings and socks, happy days

Must plan my other small races and I'll get back to you