Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Colin

Comments

• A good start to the campaign and we get a assessment of Crewe's economic standing and comedy reviews too!

• Actually her skirt is like a giant tent. There's acres of space under there. The main problem she had at the GNR was other people being in the way and not being able to squeeze through the gaps. At Parkrun we had similar issues to begin with, plus a few narrow gates to fit her through!

Trolley escalators are just plain weird. They kind of glue your trolley to them then spit you out at the end.

8.37 is NOT slow. It's pretty much the fastest I can manage at the moment!
  • Hi Steve, what are your views on weights/resistence training? Is it worth me trying to fit in a gym session each week? One of the things suggested in my BUPA report was some resistence work using all the main muscle groups.

I'm sure your pace will pick up again Speedy, have you managed to shift that cold?

• Not a cold KR, sinusitis. I'm on antibiotics.
  • Hi KR, really pleased you made the cut this time after all the support you gave me last year. Seems like the trainings started well and look forward to reading how it progresses over the coming weeks. I have no doubt with steve and the asics crew youe make 3:15 and you really are in for the exerpeirience of a lifetimes so make the most of it and pack your suncream for paris it was scorchio last year image. Good luck!
  • KR - yes do feel some form of weights/gym work/core strength is more than useful but it's best secondary to any running sessions rather than instead of - ideally one major session a week on one of your easy days but also some smaller sessions (ike 15 mins) at home

• peter thompson 14 wrote (see)
    Hi KR, really pleased you made the cut this time after all the support you gave me last year.
    Hi Pete, any sort of infill on what has happened to you since Paris? There was talk of other marathons, New York I think, joining Bournemouth AC (didn't see you in such at various meets in the summer) and a 2:45 for the championship start at VLM 2012.
  • Hi PMJ, hope your runnings goin well and things. Its been a bit of a mix bag really as hurt my knee about 4 weeks after paris and had to spend the time on cross trainers, bikes and in the pool for the best part of 3 months mixed in with a few runs to test it out. This meant i didnt do the abingdon or new york marathon as planned. Since then im am still kindly recieving advice from steve and have been focusing on speed trying to improve my 10k times with the plan to progress that onto building up the millage for london in april. Ive done a few 10k's 36:31 twice and 35:27 yesterday in poole and a park run best of 16:42 so it is definatly paying off. Now just starting the marathon training like KR and a lot of others. Hows your running going anyways any races planned next year?  
    Hi PMJ, hope your runnings goin well and things. Its been a bit of a mix bag really as hurt my knee about 4 weeks after paris and had to spend the time on cross trainers, bikes and in the pool for the best part of 3 months mixed in with a few runs to test it out. This meant i didnt do the abingdon or new york marathon as planned. Since then im am still kindly recieving advice from steve and have been focusing on speed trying to improve my 10k times with the plan to progress that onto building up the millage for london in april. Ive done a few 10k's 36:31 twice and 35:27 yesterday in poole and a park run best of 16:42 so it is definatly paying off. Now just starting the marathon training like KR and a lot of others. Hows your running going anyways any races planned next year?  

Sounds a tough one, injury after the ecstasy of Paris, but glad to see you seem to have come out the back end of it and speed looks OK: 16:42 at a parkrun is handy. I had a good year, the plan for a few years has been to do 6 minute mileing at progressively longer distances so I managed it at 3k in 2009, at 5k in 2010 and the plan was for 10k this year which I got at Richmond 10k, 36:56, but I also managed to do sub-hour for 10 miles with 59:26 at the Cabbage Patch (a lot of the same course as Richmond).

Plan for 2012 is London marathon in April during which I will have a tilt at 2:50 (did 2:57 this year so I reckon 2:50 is an ambitious target but 2:55 is too easy) so any hints in a 2:4x will be much appreciated, though a negative split like you did is not in the offing, and then usual summer 5k madness.

• KR - Something I've started doing in the past few months is simple weights 3 times a week in my lunchhour. Nothing fancy, just some simple compound moves like bench press, deadlift, overhead press, squat along with incline flys, some cable stuff,etc. It fits in nicely with 50mpw without affecting my running and (I feel) complements it well. Steve is spot on with saying 15mins at home is doable - press ups, reverse leg curls, planks, side planks, tricep dips off one of the dinner chairs. There's a tonne of stuff you could do.
    You're trying to "injury proof" your body as much as possible and make sure that you don't fall apart in the closing stages of the marathon
  • Congratulations on getting selected Knight Rider!  

Have had a quick read through this thread and like one or two others have said, you look a very good bet to achieve your target (based on your other distance times).   

I've done a couple of marathons recently - Abingdon in October, which was my first and Portsmouth on Dec 18th.  I was planning to do MK in late April but my running club have just upgraded me to the VLM, so have had to change my plans image.   Now thinking about what training to do for VLM so may keep an eye on your thread.  What maximum weekly mileage are you working towards? 

• The plan should be to take the miles up to above 50 a week but probably not quite 60.
  • Hi Pete, good to hear from you again. Shame the knee injury put a dampener on Abingdon & NY. You've out in some pretty quick 5k & 10k times. Are you planning any half marathons in your build up to VLM? Good luck with your training, VLM is quite flat so definately a fast course if you cn avoid the crowds at he beginning.

You've had a good stream if results this year PMJ, especially the cabbage patch 10 which I know you were building up your training for. I'm sure there'll be a few good tips on Choisty's thread from Steve (and others)!

There's a gym near where I work where I could theoretically get to on a Monday lunch hour MM, so I'm going to look at geting an induction there. It's a pay as you go place, so once registered you can go as much (or as little) as you want/need.

Steve, I've been doing the plank, 2 step hops, press ups & calf raises so far intermittingly and will be looking to build up to a workout at home involving all these and a few more.

• Here's how this week looks in terms of training:

Week one: 38M

Mon: December 26: 4M easy in approx 35 mins

Tues: December 27: 5M slow in 40 mins with some gentle strides

Wed: December 28: 6M easy in 50 mins

Thurs December 29: 6M with middle middle 4 miles at marathon pace (7:30)

Fri: December 30: Rest

Sat: December 31: 5M easyin 40 mins or parkrun (5M with warm up etc)

Sun: January 1: 12 miles slow in 100 mins

• Family day today at my parents with my brother and kids joining us. Another Xmas day really with more presents exchanged & a top meal. Then it was a 2 hour journey back via a diversion due to an accident which meant I missed getting to the Club. Managed to get out though and actuallybumped into some Club mates on their run on the way!

5 miles in 39.36, av pace of 7.54 and av heart rate of 154bpm.
    Mile splits worked out at:
    then 6 x 100m (ish) strides - something new for me at the end of a run!

As you can see I need to work on my perceived pace, as the first 2 miles were quicker than I thought they were. I'm trying not o be a slave to the Garmin and looking at it all the time and going more by feel. First time ever with a heart rate monitor, so not sure how to translate the av heart rate information?

• I would strongly recommend some light gym work.  I do 2-3 sessions a week of back/chest/core work.  Nothing with heavy weights but just enough so you feel it.  I do these on my lunch hour and then do ad-hoc core bits at home if I am bored (not often).   I found that a medicine ball is very versatile and can be used for so many different exercises.

On the HR information, it takes a while to build up a picture.  When you start to duplicate sessions over the next couple of months you can track how your HR changes.  At the moment not too much use.

• KR its worth noting your av HR for all runs and then seeing long term trends. So your long run HR should be either staying the same for 16 weeks and your pace getting quicker or your HR dropping and pace staying the same for example.
    After a while you should get a handle on what your HR should be for any given effort and if you notice it being way out you may realise that you're about to become ill.
    It's all personal but something that will build up to a personal database eventually
  • KR- remind me what your base weekly mileage and LSR have been for these last few weeks prior to starting the programme.

I do my best to make myself do some weights and stuff but find it so tedious it always seems to get relegated to arsing about on a swiss ball in front of the TV. Better than nothing I suppose. Although gyms can be very amusing watching the teenage lads huffing,puffing and posing for the laydeez

• Sounds like some good running there PMJ especially the cabbage patch 10k like KR says. Thats a good mix of targets for london to and will you be doing anything different training wise in the build up as opposed to last year? Im sure from this and choisty threads there be lots of hints through steves and everyone advice etc and my plan this year will be similar to choistys just maybe watering down the millage a little bit initially. I take it you started with a GFA place last year? was there much congestion at the start or did you get away trouble free?

Thanks KR and im sure your still on a massive high at the moment so prob unsuprising your starting your runs a bit quickly. Im sure if you can just ease back in the first couple to ease in and then its a lost nicer feeling mentally to be ending a little faster than the other way around. Im doing chichester 10k, wokingham half and fleet half in prep what about you? Any of those?

As for the gym work some interesting points. Like MH i do some core/chest work a couple of times a week with low weights and high intensity. This is usually a 30 min routine with 1m exercises and 10 sec rest inbetween, This consist of side planks, planks, bridge, swiss ball work, press ups, bicep curls, shoulder press, tricep dips etc. I tend to forgo a lot os sit ups as they have agrevated my back but there are lots of other exercise to work you core apart from them. A few others i have just picked up in runners world or from other in the gym but this can just as easily be done at home with a few argos brought weights.

• I try to do a Body Pump class at the gym once a week, plus some core stuff and the rehab exercises I was given for my ITBS make a regular appearance (now pre-hab rather than re-hab, prevention is better than cure!). I'm also quite a fan of kettlebells and have some dvd workouts that I can do at home or in the gym if I can find enough space inbetween all the meathead showoffs.

I don't do weights in the few days before a target race though.

Planning a trip to the gym this afternoon myself. I've finished the antibiotics now but it's blowing a howling gale outside, so I think I'll have a plod on the treadmill (must work out the paces as I'm not used to kph) and do some weights and core.

Sounds like some good running there PMJ especially the cabbage patch 10k like KR says. Thats a good mix of targets for london to and will you be doing anything different training wise in the build up as opposed to last year? Im sure from this and choisty threads there be lots of hints through steves and everyone advice etc and my plan this year will be similar to choistys just maybe watering down the millage a little bit initially. I take it you started with a GFA place last year? was there much congestion at the start or did you get away trouble free?

Last year was a bit odd, decided to do a marathon over Christmas so started from cold on Jan 17th on a 16 week plan for May 8th race. My first 20 was 5th March (9 weeks before marathon) and I did 2x19, 3x20 and 1x21. This year I have done a 20 last week in base building and will do 5x21 plus others as long runs and will do everything a bit faster: i started out with a 3:15 plan, so 7:27 pace, then changed to a 3:00 after a 1:22 half, so 6:52 pace. This year hoping for 2:50 so 6:29 pace, a full minute a mile faster.

I didn't race London, got my GFA at Shakespeare, others can comment on the starting pens. At Stratford there was no issue with start as it was open at the front, I was 21st and chip and gun time were identical.

• well done kight rider. at last you are in! image

good luck with your target! 

jane  

• Thanks for the mental picture Fraser of you arsing about on a medicine ball in front of the TV!
    In the last few weeks in December I have been averaging 35 miles a week with a 10 mile midweek run and a 12/13 mile LSR on Sundays. Not doing any speedwork as such in that time, but instead doing the odd mile/s within those runs at a bit of pace (6.20 - sub 7.00 pace).

It looks like some kind of resistence work is in order, I didn't realise so many of you did that!

Thanks for the good luck Jane, how are things for you? Didn't you run the Paris marathon anyway last year. What have you got lined this spring?

• KR - As MM said, keep a log of all runs, your pace, HR and how you feel.  Also information about hills, wind, etc, helps as HR is the effort you are putting in to a run.  If you are running into the wind you are putting more effort in to keep the same pace (sorry if that is stating the obvious).  On windier days, or days when you are not on top form, your HR can be higher than normal, so making notes helps you remember the sessions.   For instance, today my HR is actually lower than the last few times I have done the same run as the wind was against me running downhill and at my back coming back uphill.  Made pace look quicker and HR lower image

Like Pete, I rarely do actual sit-ups.  I find doing simple weights while balancing on Bosu or stability balls help to strengthen the whole body more than isolating each area.

• A good run yesterday KR - the average HR info in itself probably isn't too crucial but worth keeping a tab on each run but  - probably more important to see in a run like that whether it upped in the last few miles or stayed fairly constant and keep a clsoer tab when you do speedwork or marathon pace
  • Mrs KR had been bargin hunting most of the day so I had to wait for her to come back before I could get out for a run. So 10k in the twilight zone with a run down a few country lanes chasing the fading light. Luckily I had my fluo gear on as the light faded - amazing how quick it changes this time of year.

6.1 miles in 50.07, average pace 8.12 with an average heart rate of 150 bpm.
    8.15 - 138bpm
    8.06 - 151 bpm
    8.11 - 149 bpm
    8.03 - 153 bpm
    8.28 - 152 bpm
    8.16 - 155 bpm

A bit quicker than predicted but the 2 faster miles were going down hill and I find it hard to hold back even more going downhill, instead I just go with the flow. Finished the run this evening feeling fresh and not like I had just run 6 miles. Looking forward to doing the MP style run tomorrow and will be interested to see how the HR differs on the faster miles.

Fair point Martin about the conditions and the terrain having a factor on the HR - hadn'tt hought about it like that. When we were at Bootcamp, Sarah the physio lady, said that sit ups weren't that relevant for a runner. Apart from giving you a nice six pack, they didn't really impact on the muscles needed to run.

• Another good even-paced run. HR looks steady. Yes obviously goes much higher uphill or in warmer conditions.
  • Good running KR. Recovery running is when it feels easy and you feel better when you get back than you did when you start. Was the 138bpm mile mainly downhill as very different from the consistent others?

I do a lot of twisting and twisting lunges etc with a medicine ball to replicate you body movements when running. A lot of exercises online that i am sure will help.
  • Martin, you twist when you run????
  • And carry a medicine ball, too?!!
    Good steady pace KR. I've never had a HRM so the HR stats are a bit lost on me, but sounds good! Did you get your resting and max HRs at the training day?