2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Gobi,

With the advice about schedules what are your thoughts on Jeff Galloways Novice marathon plan as the longest run on that is 26 miles about 4-5 weeks before the race?  I was thinking if I used that schedule to change it to 20 miles.

------------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Hi guys/ gals,

Can you put me down for Manchester at the end of April and Chester at the start of October please?

Cheers
    Gaz
  • Gaz- see you in Chesterimage Did you do it last year? A great course with fab support and bottled iso drinks every few miles, as well as water of course. Grandstand start and finish. Only gripe is the hills at 24/25mimage, but overall flat and fast. Great tech long sleeve shirt tooimage
  • Updated with Gaz's races:

08-Jan 5 Tarns VinterMaraton (Denmark)
    22-Jan Gloucester 50k Gobi
    29-Jan
    05-Feb
    10-Feb Quadzilla day 2 Gobi
    12-Feb
    19-Feb
    25-Feb Belvoir Challenge Spoons
    04-Mar Barry 40m Gobi
    11-Mar
    18-Mar Rome Cjay85
    25-Mar
    01-Apr Sussex Mathschick
    01-Apr South Downs HopetoFinish
    01-Apr Santiago Liam3494
    08-Apr
    15-Apr Brighton Holly Liz, AGF, VikW, Dan Ellingworth, Solent Runner, Claire C, Luca79, Pete the Plod
    15-Apr Paris Roof gimp, Kaz
    22-Apr London Jason D, Spoons, Fiona C, No Pain, Ratzer. Minni. HopetoFinish, Brizo, Pete Tizard, Muppley

29-Apr Manchester Rob Kilby. Em Scott, GazOC
    29-Apr Milton Keynes Teknik
    06-May North Dorset Tim Lebbon
    13-May Halstead
    19-May White Peak
    20-May Windermere Rachael
    20-May Copenhagen Mon,

20- May Cardiff Ultra Jason d
    27-May Edinburgh Bodytalk, Mitiog, Jennie McC
    03-Jun
    10-Jun
    17-Jun Poppyline Spoons
    24-Jun
    01-Jul Lakeland Trails Tim Lebbon
    08-Jul
    15-Jul Fairland Valley 50k Spoons
    22-Jul
    29-Jul
    05-Aug
    12-Aug
    19-Aug
    26-Aug
    02-Sep Wolverhampton? SleepyCat
    02-Sep High Peak Ultra 40m? Spoons
    09-Sep Nottingham? Mathschick. Bacchus Marathon
    16-Sep
    23-Sep New Forest
    30-Sep Loch Ness kaz
    30-Sep Berlin ToffeeLiz
    07-Oct Chester Compo, Jason D, GazOC
    07-Oct Chicago Fiona C
    14-Oct
    21-Oct Abingdon AGF, HopetoFinish
    27-Oct Snowdon Jason D
    28-Oct
    29-Oct Dublin No Pain

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    HY4 - for those longer long runs I start to think in time so would consider rather than doing 26.2 miles at MP + 75-120 seconds you just go for a jog at MP +75-120 seconds and stop at the point you reach your marathon target time so probably somewhere between 20 and 22 miles.
  • Can I join the party pretty please???image

I'm running the London marathon on the 22nd April and currently following the P&D training plan.

• Gazelle- welcomeimage I'll add you in if you tell us which version of P&D plan and your hoped for/ expected finish?

BUT, anyone else, please note it's a free for all copy and paste image

08-Jan 5 Tarns VinterMaraton (Denmark)
    29-Jan
    05-Feb
    12-Feb
    19-Feb
    04-Mar Barry 40m Gobi
    11-Mar
    18-Mar Rome Cjay85
    25-Mar
    01-Apr Sussex Mathschick
    01-Apr Santiago Liam3494
    08-Apr
    15-Apr Brighton Holly Liz, AGF, VikW, Dan Ellingworth, Solent Runner, Claire C, Luca79, Pete the Plod
    22-Apr London Jason D, Spoons, Fiona C, No Pain, Ratzer. Minni. HopetoFinish, Brizo, Pete Tizard, Muppley, Gazelle!! I wish 

13-May Halstead
    19-May White Peak
    20-May Copenhagen Mon,

03-Jun
    10-Jun
    17-Jun Poppyline Spoons
    24-Jun
    08-Jul
    22-Jul
    29-Jul
    05-Aug
    12-Aug
    19-Aug
    26-Aug
    16-Sep
    23-Sep New Forest
    30-Sep Loch Ness kaz
    30-Sep Berlin ToffeeLiz
    07-Oct Chicago Fiona C
    14-Oct
    27-Oct Snowdon Jason D
    28-Oct
    29-Oct Dublin No Pain

• Jason- Thank youimage

I'm following the P&D Up to 55mile per week plan at the moment, I need to do my long runs mid week so I am trying to change the days around, trouble is I keep changing them as keep thinking that i may be getting it wrong! I'm hoping for a 3hr 29min 59sec marathon time. My best marathon time so far was this year at Stratford in 3hr 44min. I know I will have 15mins to take off but I'm willing to give it a go.

• Gaz- good luck with it. If you need to change the sessions around it's no biggie- just avoid back to back hard days. There is a section about just this point in the book- but it basically says the same image I  took 17 mins off my PB this year with a combo of P&D and Gobi's advice to throw some long and slow runs in to build endurance image These slow sessions hurt the most at first image
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I like my slow runs :¬)

08-Jan 5 Tarns VinterMaraton (Denmark) Gobi
    29-Jan
    05-Feb
    12-Feb
    19-Feb
    04-Mar Barry 40m Gobi
    11-Mar
    18-Mar Rome Cjay85
    25-Mar
    01-Apr Sussex Mathschick
    01-Apr Santiago Liam3494
    08-Apr
    22-Apr London Jason D, Spoons, Fiona C, No Pain, Ratzer. Minni. HopetoFinish, Brizo, Pete Tizard, Muppley, Gazelle!! I wish

13-May Halstead
    19-May White Peak
    20-May Copenhagen Mon,

03-Jun
    10-Jun
    17-Jun Poppyline Spoons
    24-Jun
    08-Jul
    22-Jul
    29-Jul
    05-Aug
    12-Aug
    19-Aug
    26-Aug
    16-Sep
    23-Sep New Forest
    30-Sep Loch Ness kaz
    30-Sep Berlin ToffeeLiz
    07-Oct Chicago Fiona C
    14-Oct
    27-Oct Snowdon Jason D
    28-Oct
    29-Oct Dublin No Pain
  • Gobi- me too image Was hoping to meet up at last at Barry 40-seen that you've done this several times and the psychological challenge intrigues me-  but just too close to VLM for me image
  • Can I join the party too please

Berlin in Sept

Dublin in Oct

Thank you
  • hope this isn't a silly question - what does P&D stand for?

Thanks

• jason d wrote (see)
    Gaz- good luck with it. If you need to change the sessions around it's no biggie- just avoid back to back hard days. There is a section about just this point in the book- but it basically says the same image I  took 17 mins off my PB this year with a combo of P&D and Gobi's advice to throw some long and slow runs in to build endurance image These slow sessions hurt the most at first image

ooh that makes me feel a lot better about knocking off 15mins.

Mathschick- Not a silly question at all. Quite a few people have mentioned the P&D training plan and it has a very high success rate. It is a book called Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas. Hopefully other peeps may be able to tell us more!

• Gaz - After not following a training programme at all for my first marathon in September, I am hoping that with following a programme and all the advice from the experienced marathoners on here - Gobi, NP, JD, Spoons......- I'll be able to knock a lot more  than 15 mins off.............or I'm maybe naive and too ambitous??!!image

A gorgeous calm day here in the north and guess what......yes I am working and a double shift since I need tomorrow off.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! Heres hoping everyday off the next week is nice and I can run endlessly........... avoiding  the future mother-in-law tactic!!!image

Stupid question from me next and showing my ignorance where the geography of England is concerned...........What marathons are near Marple, Chesire??? My brother moved there this year and thinking it would be a good way of planning a visit!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    P&D means Puff Daddy surely

Kaz

1. realistic to knock 15 mins off
    2. Chester/Liverpool/Manchester - depends what you call close :¬)

Hills today :¬)
  • Morning all.

7 miles this morning, around 8:45 pace for miles 1/3/5/7 and 2/4/6 were 6:37/6:33/6:31.

Too much Christmas cheers has left me feeling a bit lethargic, I'm looking forward to knuckling down in January now.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Ian :You're already in the party! Just added your 2 marathons. Also noticed that I had missed chicaboo's Belfast...hope this was definite.image

6 miles this morning, 3 at "tempo" (LOL - with the wind this morning I barely reached HM pace).

08-Jan 5 Tarns VinterMaraton (Denmark) Gobi
    29-Jan
    05-Feb
    12-Feb
    19-Feb
    04-Mar Barry 40m Gobi
    11-Mar
    18-Mar Rome Cjay85
    25-Mar
    01-Apr Sussex Mathschick
    01-Apr Santiago Liam3494
    08-Apr

07-May Belfast Chicaboo

13-May Halstead
    19-May White Peak
    20-May Copenhagen Mon,
    20-May Cardiff Ultra Jason d
    03-Jun
    10-Jun
    17-Jun Poppyline Spoons
    24-Jun
    08-Jul
    22-Jul
    29-Jul
    05-Aug
    12-Aug
    19-Aug
    26-Aug
    16-Sep
    23-Sep New Forest
    30-Sep Loch Ness kaz
    30-Sep Berlin ToffeeLiz, Ian Boyd
    07-Oct Chicago Fiona C
    14-Oct
    27-Oct Snowdon Jason D
    28-Oct
    29-Oct Dublin No Pain, Ian Boyd

• Hmmm if others are up for chopping off 15 min maybe I should be braver and revise my target... Was thinking 3:35 after 3:42 in Amsterdam but maybe should go for 3:30...
  • Gobi- Chester would seem a good option instead of Loch Ness, suppose it will depend on school hols as usual!! I know 15 mins( at least) is realistic especially given the improvement i've seen of late!!!image Looking  forward to some nice slow runs of the next few days, its amazing how much I come to like running at a slower pace!image
  • Just spent all morning reading this thread and it is full of good advice and nice and friendly so would like to join in.  I have managed to get in the VLM via the running club ballot so very excited.

My last marathons have been 4:32, 4:34 and 4:36 following Runners World sub 4:30 plan (so going backwards).  I would really love to run 4:15 but not been able to find a schedule for this time.  Reading the last few comments I now believe this can be achievable as long as I get my act in gear and will be running the Central Lancs half on 02/01/12 to get me motivated.

Good luck to those running Manchester, I will be on one of the water stations.

• P Diddy?

Mon77 - sub 3:30 has a better ring to it..... image
  • I bought "Advanced Marathoning" just before Xmas and have just started the 18 week, 55-70 mile program for Manchester marathon. My only other marathon was Chester in October where I got 3:53 with a much shorter, bodge job type preparation, so I'm hoping I can improve on Octobers time by a decent margin....under 3:40 would be nice!
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

For those that are interested or still searching for a plan, here's the link to the Pfitzinger book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/dp/0736074600/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322309325&sr=8-1

For the time-pressured, there's a summary of the book on the US site: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=4432&PageNum=1.

At the end is one of the training schedules in the book, but it's the longer one (ie 55 to 70 miles per week) that Mon and GazOC are doing. The 40 to 55 mile schedule in the book has the same long runs, but one more rest day and lower mileage on the other 5 days (for lightweights like me and Gazelleimage). 

• can anybody advise a good training plan for me? I want to finish marathon in under 5 hours, and have done 3 so far and have yet to achieve me goal, I think I am either not doing enough 20 mile runs or not doing enough each week....I want to be able to follow a plan that will help me do this? bearing in mind, i have a full time job, and part time business can fit in at least 4 times a week?
  • Kaz have a look at this one, not too far from Marple, off road and flattish, really nice and friendly White Peak mara

fills up quickly.

• R32 - Have a look at the RW schedules, I used one for my first marathon and it worked for me really well

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/big-marathon-index/7355.html
  • R32- how did you train for your previous 3 maras?  How many miles a week?  How many 20 mile runs?

Oh, can I please add NY to the list in November?  Sort of forgot it's happening as well... 

• well my 1st marathon which was my best one, I only done 1 20 miler, the 2nd one was 2 20 milers, but my last marathon, I really increased my training done 2 20 milers, 3 18 milers, and some speed sessions, but it took me over 6 hours! but this was brighton, it was a hot day, and i had to walk 20 minutes to start line, so I think all them factors kind of hindered me! I think i eat right always ensure i have a balanced diet, but just think my training plan was somehow lacking in something...
  • R32- there are some proper runners on here who will offer you proper advice but I would say that you would be better off doing a few more 20 milers, at least 4-5.  What was your weekly mileage?