Something similar to last years competition

Treadmill points? do we/dont we/how many
Cross training points. gym classes....
More points for the turbo (or less)
Less for running (or more)
Suggestions on a postcard please.......

We start again on the 1st......... not surprisingly image

Comments

• i always wonder why turbo is allowed but treadmill not, im getting my tready fixed soon so i can do hill/strength work, im in favour of points for the dreadmill,but thats no surprise - even if is only 3 or 4 a week,

i reckon that the points allocation are fine really, it all depends on how hard you push, i dont plod on the turbo normally so measure in miles, if i measured in time i would feel short changed if someone was doing the same time but half the work. if theres not half a litre of sweat on the floor its not a turbo session - its a jolly image

gym time - i do 3 proper sessions a week atm and a few bits at work but still dont think these should count

We still aint going to beat Mr Ho unless we dont count long rides image well done steve for consistency
  • The points spread for bike, run and swim work out great for me with each giving me the same number of points for time spent. There s a slight bas towards run miles but then it is the most brutal and leaves the most damage.

Nothing for the dreadmill. This is RunnersWorld not walkingInTheGymWorld!

Turbo is harder than road cycling so should stay.

Not sure how gym points would work - 1-point per session would be the most that I could see working. Ditto for pilates or eccentric yoga. Generally not in favour of this stuff. We will get extra marks for stretching next!

Looking forward to it already.

M.eface

• double points for OW swimming or take away points for those using the treadmill option of swimming in a swimming pool......image
  • Pah!

I would be voting for anti-treadmill, however some of the places work have sent me get quite chilly in the winter, and running is dangerous, if nigh on impossible. So no points for tready unless local regulations demand carriage of snow-chains? image

Merry Christmas btw.

• Would it get too complicated if we had indoor and outdoor points.....apart from Seren who loses points every time she swims in the bliddy Taff except for in August image
  • Yes. Way too complicated.

How about a point for 2 miles on the dreadmill? Enough to make it obvious its better to go outside, but a nod towards the fact that sweat has been created?
  • 1 point for every 15 mins on the turbo and a bonus point for completing an hour = 1hour. 5 points..other than that can we do away with the .25 and .74 on the scores..people can round up if they really want to.
  • I am new to this and for me the attraction is the simplicity. Lets not make it complicated and keep the format similar to 2011.

I would prefer indoor training - bike and running, to be included included.

How about spinning? For me as long as it as a focused class, isn't  it just like a turbo with stimulation to the eyes and ears.

• Thanks, Plum, for coordinating again. My view is that this needs to be inclusive rather than exclusive. Let's keep it simple and inclusive so that people participate and make it a lively competition.

I sometimes feel short-changed that turbo is measured in time, rather than distance. A hard hour on the turbo gets me 4 points, but a relatively easy hour on the bike gets me 5 points. But that's my issue. I never run on the treadmill but have no issue with other people being allowed to include treadmill miles it if it helps keep them involved and contributes to them hitting their goals this summer.

Please let's not bugger about with complicating points based on indoors/outdoors etc. Let's keep it as it is. Treadmill miles fine by me. But let's try to get people participating and keep the numbers up.

• Can we have a list of the points please? image
  • i can never manage to get 5 points an hour for cycling outside......because of the hills I can never average fast enough...its all a bit hit and miss anyway as if you do 20 miles on the flat running or cycling then its far easier than 20 miles on very undulating terrain.......

so keep the same but extra points for swimming outside image..try earning many points OW swimming this time of year :0

i think that gym bikes are never included in the past as they are very unreliable for distance......

• I fancy having ago this year and just need simplicity as well. I have to run on a treadmill at times fitting it into work times ( can't leave the premises to run outside ), so hamster wheel it is.

At the end of the day it seems like a bit of fun and has a motivational value that can help people on their way when the going gets tough.

Stick me on the list!

• tbh people always include treadmill anyway and not sure why an official adjudication is needed. I definitely remember last year people just agreed to put them down as run miles and be done with it.

Personally, I think they should be included as if you are running a mile on a treadie, it's not that much easier (and some would argue actually harder given the boredom) than running a mile outside.

Plus a lot of people use them for sprints/tempo work where you actually need a dictated pace. At the end of the day, it's meant to be a motivator and if it helps to include them, then why not.

Agree though that it needs to remain simple.  Would suggest sticking with last years:

1 point for 1 mile run (be it outdoor or on a treadie)
    1 point for 3 miles bike outdoor
    1 point for 15mins spin/gym cycling
    1 point for 400m swim

• mandel.there was no points for gym or spin last year was there.......only turbo I seem to remember or was i wrong.......:0

going to plan something for early sunday.......image
  • 2011 rules

Plum  wrote (see)
    Same Rules as last time

Start Date Jan 1st

Finish Dec 31st

400m swim = 1pt
    1 miles run = 1pt
    3 miles bike = 1pt
    3 miles turbo =1pt
    15 mins turbo =1pt~
    Nowt for the treadie as usual though I was a little tempted

Seem to recall spin classes were allowed but can't be bothered to trawl the thread to find relevant converstation.

• slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Thanks, Plum, for coordinating again. My view is that this needs to be inclusive rather than exclusive. Let's keep it simple and inclusive so that people participate and make it a lively competition.

I sometimes feel short-changed that turbo is measured in time, rather than distance. A hard hour on the turbo gets me 4 points, but a relatively easy hour on the bike gets me 5 points. But that's my issue. I never run on the treadmill but have no issue with other people being allowed to include treadmill miles it if it helps keep them involved and contributes to them hitting their goals this summer.

Don't thank Plum, he'll get all big headed. you do get points for turbo distance as well as time, just not everyones turbo measuresx the distance which is why alot if us use time

• I think treadie points should be included just cos you never have done Plum. image  I had to run alot on the treadie getting back from injury and not through choice as running outside is my preference but sometimes no choice.
  • OK I have listened to all your points and as usual totally ignored them..................I shall do what I want as usual

As been pointed out, not that I listened, it is meant to be as inclusive as possible so we can have treadmill points this year for all the reasons stated so

400m swim = 1pt + one bonus point each time you swim 1000m outdoors
    1 mile run road, = 1pt
    1 mile run treddy = 1pt
    3 miles bike = 1pt
    3 miles turbo = 1pt
    15 mins turbo = 1pt

Any arguments? Not that I will listen anyway

• OK I have listened to all your points and as usual totally ignored them..................I shall do what I want as usual

As been pointed out, not that I listened, it is meant to be as inclusive as possible so we can have treadmill points this year for all the reasons stated so

400m swim = 1pt + one bonus point each time you swim 1000m outdoors
    1 mile run road, = 1pt
    1 mile run treddy = 1pt
    3 miles bike = 1pt
    3 miles turbo = 1pt
    15 mins turbo = 1pt

Any arguments? Not that I will listen anyway
  • I wanted to increase the turbo points as I could potentially get lots of points in on there but a point for every ten mins would mean the road stuff would have to be averaged at 18mph to make it even which is beyond all but the few and you have the mileage option there anyway.....
  • thank you Mr Plum.......
  • Liking the extra OW incentive image
  • TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Plum.
    How do we take part?
    When does it start and finish?
    How often do we post, do you want it daily or weekly?

As you can see new to all this, but need some motivation as just had a Cba week (twas Xmas! And brownie points easily lost this time of year!)
  • TJ have a look at the other thread , it sort of explains itself.

But to answer your questions

1.you just put your name on the new thread and update as you train.,

2.Starts NY day and ends NY eve

3.As often as you like, i do daily others do weekly