Just a little bit further 2012

Happy New to you and welcome to the 2012 thread of the Cake Runners Athletics Club (CRAC) image

As the title suggests we are here for anyone who just wants to go a 'little bit further'. So whether you're aiming for your first 5k or marathon or Ultra, please feel free to come and join us.

The CRAC team (virtual world and only on this thread) started last year because we realised that along with running we seem to have an equal passion for cakesimage. So come and introduce yourself, name your favourite cake and you are in as team member.

Our club team colours are the Battenburg. To cheer us on at races we have a virtual cheerleading squad led by Loula. Hopefully DJ will be back this year with a daily tune. And I'm sure all the regulars will be squeezing their way on to the sofa in CRAC towers and introducing themselves.

On this thread you will get lots of laughs, support, encouragement, cake and hopefully a bit of running knowledge image

So please come on in, grab a piece of cake from the tea trolley, make yourself known and join us in running 'Just A Little Bit Further' in 2012!

Comments

• Mines a Lemon Drizzle please Chilli. I do have some Christmas cake left though.image
  • Well, I've already had a little bit of Christmas cake today,but I'm sure I can manage a small slither of carrot cake. After all, it's part of my 5 a day...
  • Hi Ladies image

My favourite is parsnip and maple syrup and I make one each year for my birthday.... yum, yum, yum... 

Do you have any aims for 2012? They should probably be running targets, but since we are a very friendly bunch here, we'll happily cheer you on for whatever!

• limperlimper ✭✭✭
    I'm a traditionalist, so it's choclit sponge with choclit icing and choclit bits and some choclit on the side for me.
    I'll settle for pretty much anything that's on offer though image

My goal in 2012 is to run further than I did in 2011 (not hard as I ran so little in 2011) and to avoid the continuous injuries I've suffered during the last 6 months (not running related).
    A bit of weight loss wouldn't be a bad goal either but will be tricky to achieve on a cake club thread!
    And being brave enough to face up to some personal stuff I have to do (which may require both running and cake to help me cope).

I'll have the Battenburg kit in a long sleeve top and buff please.
  • I am with you Limper. I just love Chocolate Cake.

I reckon that you can do anything you put your mind to.Running has got me through some really tough times with the added help of Cake. You can do it Limper.

• There's a cake we make every year that has forever been referred to as 'The German Cake' -  due to a German friend of ours introducing us to it: it's a sponge cake with ground almonds, white icing and hundreds and thousands.  So my favourite cake is 'The German Cake'. image  Love Mini Cadbury Rolls though - as some of you might have figured out. image

Happy New Year to everyone at CRAC Towers!

Running aims for 2012?  Break the ten mile barrier and do at least one 5k park run. image  

• Ooh Chilli that sounds interesting.

So does German Cake R.R. I love Almonds and Hundreds and thousands.

I can hardly type I have had so mush vino..........................Hic.

Besh be good tomorre before Da Boss Starts.

• limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year Crac-ers!!!

Thank you for the encouragement Ecky. I'm a long-time runner and have used it to great effect to deal with 'stuff'. It was just a rubbish second half to last year with some nasty injuries.

I'm just about 6 weeks down the line from the last set-back so there is the possibility of a (very small) run on today's horizon.
    There's also a LOT of cake here at the lily-pad due to a baking spree yesterday!!
    And there's no sore head on this frog this morning!

<< hands round the cake platter by way of ingratiating self into thread >>

• .................HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!imageimage.............................

wow, the shiny new thread is here so happy new year to all the lovely friends i have made on the CRAC TEAM and to any new ones joining*waves to limper*image...heres hoping we all have a fantastic 2012 and get to do all we want run wise and other.

apologies to DA Boss....got home at 2:30amimage.....hmm hmm*nods grinning inanely*....and um, well i didnt think id be that late...*nods again slowly wondering what excuse to tell boss*........wasaverygoodgirlanddidntdoanydamagetosurroundingvillages...phew, there. image

Watched the big countdown at friends house and the mega fireworks in London on tv !! woohooooooooooooooo!!!

my fave cake i think is lemon drizzle or choc fudgeimagenommy.....

chili, glad you had a nice hols...rest today for you.

BOSS, i think you should get yourself looked at , if mrs AF says you can do the run today then please go to Docs THIS WEEK....*Wags finger sternly for first episode of 2012*image......*foot tapping firmly*

have a lovely day my friendies and ........GO GO GO AF THE BOSS MAN !!! GOOD LUCKimage

• HI LIMPER!!...i dont have a sore head, but i DO have a sore throat...got anything for 'CROAKY' throats on the lily pad??image BOOM BOOM!!image
  • Morning and Happy New Year.......

Well after yesterdays incident I had a good night sleep and feel OK. So will be doing my 1st race of the year @ 11 am today. I will however just aim to finish rather than go for a time.

I have been told by Mrs AF that I should go to the Dr's...........

Welcome Limper to the CRAC team you will enjoy this thread.....

Please can I have a Coffee and Walnut cake lobbed over to me for about 4pm......

Bye for now you lovely people.

Da Bossxxx
  • morning everybodyimage

sorry must rush Run Clubimage

• Hobble, hobble, hobble...
    Ouch, my blister hurts image
    Welcome limper. In this thread, running is something we do to help us deal with life. Some people seem to labour under the impression that life gets in the way of running image
  • morning, decided I would like to join this thread

Love all cake - lemon drizzle a current favourite

want to do a marathon this year, have entered Sussex April 1st, but currently wondering whether I will make it as have a dodgy ankle at the mo, first run in 3 weeks today - did 2 milesimage

• MOOOOOORNIN.

Ouchie  I had far too much Vino last night so Today is the start of me being good.

Foot still playing up which is annoying so more icing tonight. I have been self diagnosing again but should really go Docs.

Hi Mathschick  I hope your Ankle improves soon.I seem to have lots of that kind of trouble and I find it so frustrating. I want to do a Marathon later in the year and an Ultra.I just hope my foot improves.

By Eck I hope your Blister goes soon.I find them soooooo painful.

Morning Phantom have a good time at Club.

A.F Mahoosive Good Luck for today. You can have any cake you want Boss *hopes that cake will distract Da Boss from knowing what the Norty Crew got up to last night*

• limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the welcome everyone image

Today Limper-Dog and I started our road to recovery (from fracture and ligament damage). We ran a mile. Pahhahahahahaha. One weeny mile. I'm a half and full marathoner by choice. So it seems quite mad that Dawg looks knackered and I feel proud!!

Loulabell...I suggest gargling with soluble paracetamol and sitting very very quietly for most of the day. Nothing above a whisper and definitely no singing or laughing. You may, and indeed should, eat any fruit based cake and warm custard can be added if the throat is particularly bad image
    This is informed medical advice and shouldn't be tried by any under-age runners on the thread image

Life should never get in the way of running. Sadly it does, but that doesn't make it right!

<< stands ready with needle and thread for by 'eck's blister >>
  • Happy New Year everyone!!!! And welcome Limper!

Can't talk much, stringing together sentences is a challenge... Don't know when I got to bed, but did find champagne glass next to it.... Lost dinner suit and then found it hanging in the wardrobe... Been swimming in Atlantic in speedo, very very cold, decided afterwards very very bad idea... Don't have hangover, suspect still drunk... Might have a nap

Morning boss good luck today!
  • limper - when you have had an enforced break due to injury a mile is something to feel proud of!
  • Limper a mile is more than Im guna do today image. My idea was to get rid of all the wine before today so that I could start 2012 healthy. I suppose tipping it down the sink would have been a better idea than drinking the lot. Lesson Learned.

Happy New Year Gastank. Sounds like you had a good night.

• Happy New Year!image Wishing all my dear friends a fantastic 2012!

Welcome to Limper and Mathschick!

I think I'll have to go with chocolate and fudge cake at the moment but I also love cheesecake and well everything really. 

Gosh Gastank you are brave - swimming in your speedos! Sounds like you had an excellent evening.

AF - Good luck today - take it easy though!

Ecky- sounds like you should go to the docs too, with your foot. Wish it better soon 

Phantom - Enjoy your first run of the year.

By'Eck - Take care of that blister.  Has it burst? There are special plasters you can get, never used them but maybe worth a try if it's a big one?

Loula - Glad you had a good evening and didn't do any damageimage

Well I am very pleased with myself because I did 16 miles this morning in the mist and the rain.  Didn't think I could manage it after my 10 miles yesterday and I did look a wreck by the end, but I did it!!  Looked at my schedule and there is 18 miles next week. I think I might have to insert a 10 mile long run instead and postpone the 18 miler another week.  I have no dead line so I think I might as well increase my mileage at a comfortable pace.

Anyway, going to play shops now.

x

• Happy New Year to all my CRAC friends and the new friends...Hi Limper and Mathschick....A warm welcome from me...you will get much support and encouragement on this thread....

Loula.....norty norty out late tut tut BUT well done on your 20 miler......spsh after only 4 hrs sleep...psst does the boss know????/

Ecky...you cannae go wating lovely vino like that...my motto an open bottle is an empty bottle...lol...Enjoy

AF...Good luck with the race today...erm i seemimage to have missed something....what happpened that you might not have been able to raced today????/

Byeck...Hows the foot and blister today??? Hope your leggies not too sore after your epic run in the mud yesterday.

HI Jude and Chilli and Gastank..

Phantom...Hope your club run goes well...let us know how you got on???

Well i was a good girl and was in bed by 11pm.......polishes haloimage Had a lie in too...LOL...And then went for a wee run...only 3.89 miles but well its miles on the clock for the start of what I hope will be a fantastic year of running.....image

Off to in laws later for dinner and no doubt some champers and vino...etc

Have a great day everyone and look forward to chatting later.....

• Hi Jude..waves didn't see you there and very WELL DONE on your 16 miles...fantastico hun...knew you could do it.....bet your all boingy boing now....superb........ENjoy playing shops.....
  • Gosh AFjust read back on the old thread.....I hope you are ok ...scary for that to have happened...you will definitly need to get yourself checked out.....nurse Franny says so and you will have me and loula to answer to if you don't LOl..No honstly though you should get yourself checked out if only for piece of mind...just as well Mrs AF was there..must have been terrible for her to witness that.....Anyway good luck today but reallly don't think you should be running...BUT we runners aren't good at taking advice are we...spesh if someone tells us not too...
  • hello gang and new gangeees tooimage

mmm cheesecakeimage

Club was fun , a timed 5KM.trail run,including two big hillsimage 28.33 and i finished with a bit left image but the second hill almost did me inimage even so im counting it as my first run in my 10km schedule.

Listen to the girls AF you know better than not to.

Happy new year Jude and brilliant run.

A warm welcome to the newbees somewhere i was a short time ago.

and a very big Happy New Year to all.Have a great day.

• Happy new year all - this sounds like a good thread. 

Just entered my first half marathon and am a fan a cake - favourites being cadburys mini rolls and hot chocolate fudge cake with ice cream.

• by 'eck, it's hilly wrote (see).
    Hobble, hobble, hobble...
    Ouch, my blister hurts image
    Welcome limper. In this thread, running is something we do to help us deal with life. Some people seem to labour under the impression that life gets in the way of running image
    i secon d that by'eck !! life does get in the wayimage-right. this is the toughgirl way. pop that blister, flatten it, put some surgical spirit on it and then tape over it .
    gastank wrote (see)
    Happy New Year everyone!!!! And welcome Limper!

Can't talk much, stringing together sentences is a challenge... Don't know when I got to bed, but did find champagne glass next to it.... Lost dinner suit and then found it hanging in the wardrobe... Been swimming in Atlantic in speedo, very very cold, decided afterwards very very bad idea... Don't have hangover, suspect still drunk... Might have a nap

Morning boss good luck today!
    gastank, were you at the same party as me?image flippin heck, i got home at 2:30m, and WALKED IT !!! in shiny black 5inch high heel patent boots !!! i DID NOT fall over boss AND i was such a good girl i even picked up a few bottles that norty people had left on the pavement -tut tut.......i fell asleep, then got up at 6:30am to go for my run..backpack done in 10mins , slung on back and i was gone..sunrise, nice breeze,lovely countryside,a few passersby saying happy new year.....just touching under 20miles later i finally made it back homeimagenot bad for 2 glasses of wine , staying up until 2:30am, walking home and not much sleepimage YES I AM BARKING!!!
    FrannyT wrote (see)
    Hi Jude..waves didn't see you there and very WELL DONE on your 16 miles...fantastico hun...knew you could do it.....bet your all boingy boing now....superb........ENjoy playing shops.....

JUDE....honny!!! well done girl-you go! image wow , im sooooo pleased you did that. next thing, sort out when you can get yourself over here....your coming on an ultra rollercoaster ride wiv Loulaimage

franny, it was a nice morning to be out wasnt it? good for you having a lie-in...i really SHOULD have tooimage...i agree with you...the Boss man should DEF go see the doc. no matter how 'OK' you feel now AF , something caused it...and we need our frontman running those speedy times in full health !!!

PLEASE....just go and mention it to Dr.....yes we are nagging, but you know its because we care about you !

• The   Phantom wrote (see)

hello gang and new gangeees tooimage

mmm cheesecakeimage

and a very big Happy New Year to all.Have a great day.

i forgot cheesecake phantom!! i like tht too...and um, swiiss roll, and gateau, and custard slice, and doughnuts....oh well, a lot of cakeimage

hello Deva duck, i am the very quiet one on this thread.image*sits quietly with hands clasped saint like in lap*

• limperlimper ✭✭✭
    You're being a bit noisy for someone with a sore throat LLB. <<stern look >> imageimage
  • Hi Deva Duck.......and welcome....don't beleive a word of it ....Loula........quiet.....erm.....image Well you will find out yourself soon enough.........All this talk of cake is making me hungry.........mmm i like carrot cake ,chocolate cake, coffee cake and  cheesecake....mmm probably all cake ...lol..thats why we run is it not so as we can burn off the calories of overindulgence or as atreat when we get back from a nice long run............

Yes Loula it was a lovely day to be out for a run............Well done Phantom on your 5k trail run...your well on the way with your 10k training plan now my man......

AF......Hope your ok after your race...will try and check in later to see how you are.........but please go an get checked out at the Doctors...........me and loula are on your case.........you need to listen to us ...you know its the right thing to do.....