Two stone off!

Comments

• Welcome aboard. I reckon 15lbs is definitely achievable before April - just over a pound a week. Seems like a good target.

Did my first outdoor run last night after return from injury: lovely evening, if you enjoy wind and heavy rain! Quite pleased that the foot felt fine, and I ran a decent pace. Long run tomorrow, and I'll have hit my first week Jantastic target.
  • Hi Andy w and thanks for the welcome.
    Races planned are Tough Guy at the end of Jan and Gade Valley Harriers training runs. Will look around for a half that still has places for end Feb timing. Already lighter on scales this morning so off to a good start. Hope to get to Brighton injury free this time.
  • Hi Guys. My plan has been simple: Cut out the crap, cakes, biccies, sweets etc. Eat as much FRV as I can, ease back on the curries and booze. No alcofrol Sun-Th. 200 calories a pint soon ,makes a difference. Up the exercise and ensure I'm in calorie deficit each day. So far so good and losing 2-3lbs per week. Target is sub 12st by end of March and should be able to do it if I don't weaken too much!
  • Looks like a good simple plan Tinsel.

Managed to get around my 9.5 miles yesterday although found it hard work, sore this morning. Canal paths by me were so muddy last week that I decided this week to go urban, which isn't as interesting. I don't think I'd eaten enough during the day either.

Anyway that's my 1st Jantastic week completed and am just searching for a good reasonable priced hotel for OH and myself when we go up for the Blackpool Half Marathon in February.

• I wish andy-w. Managed 8 this morning and was hard work all the way. Still, it's a long road back and at least we are on itimage Time to upload the miles.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Thinks going well ten folks? 15lb is well within reach.

Might help so heres some maths: 1lb in body fat=3500 kcal. Average cal burn per mile is (very, very roughly) 100 kcals per mile. Being heavier/faster burns more. Therefore: 35 miles = 1lb in body fat. But muscles might get denser and heavier, so maybe body fat % might be usefull too.

Sorry if people already know that. Off to Jantatic to log today's 9 miles...

Have fun folks.
  • Evening Everyone image

Felt rubbish today, was going to put off run till tomorrow, until I remembered Jantastic.  So out I went and did my furthest this year 4 miles image  Whoop whoop! Slowly creeping back up, can't wait to get back into double figures again.

Glad your foot is on the mend Dan!

• Good effort rfm, thanks for making it for the teamimage Just back from tkd and aching from this morning. New Jantastic week tomorrow, can't run tomorrow night so will have to make the effort to hit the dreadmill by 7.
  • Excellent stuff RFM - that's what its all about! Looks like we are off the top 30 board, though, so if anyone hasn't logged any runs, get them posted now.

I went out today without anything more than a watch this morning, with a vague idea of doing about 8 miles. Kept adding extra bits, though, and came home having done over 11. Foot a little bit painful, but really nothing much - I'll stretch out the hamstrings and calves tonight. Diet could have been better today, but nothing too horrendous (well better than it has been recently!). Hitting the gym tomorrow.

Good running people!
  • grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Hey everyone (Happy New Year!),

I see you are all knee deep in Jantastic enthusiasm, well done to you all! I have still not been out running which is one reason why I haven't been on here (as well as enjoying a 3 week break from work). Looking back over my records my weight has constantly settled on 14 stones 3 pounds since mid October after starting at 17 stone 10 pounds in April. Now that Christmas is over I am less reluctant to limit my eating (I love my food) and so am going to try and lose a bit more weight and so I am finalising my plans for 2012:

3 runs a week is unrealistic given my other activities (squash at least twice a week) so will start at 2 runs a week, starting tomorrow, until the end of the squash season (end of March) and thereafter get up to 3 runs a week. Will also try to get out on my bike a minimum of twice a week. I will try and get up to 10K by the end of March and still plan on doing the Stornoway Half Marathon at the end of May (target time of 2 hours). I also need to start doing some weight work to help with upper body toning.

I will hopefully lose my final stone and a half by late spring / early summer although just want to be as fit as I can be rather than have a weight in mind. Still useful to have a target mind you, which is 12 stone 9 pounds. Food wise, all I need to cut out is the unnecessary biscuits and sweets / desserts that crept in to my diet over the festive period. I am going to again focus on eating natural, quality produce, lots of meat high in fat and protein, lots of vegetables and limiting carbs where I can. I will have fruit sparingly, it is after all high in sugar and not actually that great for you.

I haven't read through all the threads of late so sorry if I have missed anything major and welcome to those new faces I haven't seen before.

Grant

• Hello Grant...... Welcome back, hope you had a great Christmas with family and good to read all your targets for 2012. Did you get out for your 1st run?

After struggling on Saturday I've pushed myself over last night and tonight with 2 higher pace runs (at least relatively for me) and am now feeling much happier.

Well done RFM for your run a few days back and good to read that everyone's getting the miles in...!
  • Morning all, jantastic going well and our little team performing at the top end of the rankings. Hope everyone getting somewhere with their plans. I'm fruit n vegged out but it is working as am jaust around half-way on the weight loss. Can't seem to pick up any speed yet and with that loss should be about 28secs per mile faster! Ho humm....keep trying
  • Welcome back Grant: Stornaway sounds really fun, but I can't justify the expense, myself. A Scottish run every two years, I reckon.

Went to the physio yesterday again: much reduced pain in the heel, so the stretches are doing the job. Apparently I have a much more flexible instep. The plan now is to try and run more upright: apparently I stoop when I run (I always have - probably to try and hide the bulk at the front!). This causes me to "fall into" my stride, which causes me to decelerate with each stride: need to be more upright, use my arms more, and kind of flick my heels up a bit more. This should cause me to have a lighter tread, use less energy, and go faster. So, 3 hours for Brighton, then (hmmmmmmmmmm.....).

Jantastic going well, though we seem to move up and down the table by the hour. We were third at one point, then off the top 30 table, and then back to about 7th. No idea why. Long run tomorrow: aiming for a half-marathon distance, I think.
  • I'm sure my running style / stride is very inefficient, but it's difficult to self assess. Anyway good to hear that you've got such a positive result out of an injury! I do have images though of you out training, flicking your heels up as you run like Morecombe and Wise exiting the stage, or perhaps that shows my age...

Tough end to the diet week, with long offsite work days with hotel hospitality, but did ok and my weigh in this morning shows 1lb off. Sneaked a quick run at the gym last night to make up for the one I missed on Thursday, so am up to date on Jantastic. My marathon schedule has just a shorter 6 mile run this weekend, which works well as its my little girls birthday, loads planned.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

• Andy - I like the M&W idea: I know what I'll be doing over the finishing line at Brighton (if capable). I've already got the short fat hairy legs!

Tried to modify my gait a bit this morning on a fairly tough 14 miles, but difficult to tell really - tried to be a bit more upright.Deserved an afternoon snooze, and a low-in tomorrow. I am going to try a "recovery" run tomorrow. A bit of a misnomer, but I've read some research (posted on a different thread) that says even very slow runs the day after a hard session can be particularly beneficial. We'll see.
  • All gone quiet. Bit f a race over the weekend and slow run last night. Moderately well behaved last weekend and so tale of the tape means I can get into my suits and just half a stone or so to go to target. Look forward to even more stuff fitting without a struggleimage
  • Very busy weekend with children's parties, and a work trip to London to start the week, but managed to get a mid afternoon train home today so have got my 1st run of the week in at least.

How did the recovery run go Dan and which race was it straycelt? Bad diet start to the week though for me.
  • Not the Roman IX Andy. Great race and would love to have chased a time and as leg is in recovery after op last year, had to settle for enjoying the view and the run. Recommend it as one of my all time favourites. A wee tester, and great scenery, marshalls and organisation.
    Just back from gym and completely knackered. must rest!
  • Yes, apologies I think you mentioned that a while back and I have heard of it, definitely has a good reputation. I've entered a 5m in a couple of weeks, my PB for 5m is so slow that I beat the time in training last week, just need to make sure I don't get myself injured by over pushing it.

After a crazy 2 weeks at work, have just one meeting to get to mid morning, so looking forward to dropping my little girl at school and getting home for a run. Jantastic still looking good in 3rd.....
  • Next race up is Lliswerry 8 in Newport...might try for around 65-70 mins if I keep injury free. Waking up hungry, not good. dopting grazing style of little and often but would so love to sit down to a full three courses! I'm sure it'll pass. Might be a reward for next big run tho!image
  • (Why can't I see the postings from straycelt?)

Never got round to the recovery run - busy day with the family - but made up for it with a good run on Monday and Tuesday. I'm running without headphones at the moment (new ones are arriving on Sunday as a birthday pressie) so I can't hear Runkeeper telling me my pace. Quite liberating really, and really good when I got home from a hilly 6 miles, and find I'd blown apart my PB over that route!

Jantastic: lets keep it up, people!
  • Which headphones are they, do you know yet? I got some Sennheiser for Xmas, really good. Trouble with all headphones being used for running is that they break easily, but so far so good with mine.

3rd run of the week completed tonight, diet going okish, just looking forward to my 12 miles on Saturday now.
  • Sennheiser as well - the Adidas ones. I know because I ordered them myself!

Did my gym session, and then a quick 3 miles on the treasure (run 3 this week). Planning on a loooooong run Saturday- its an out and back route, and if I go all the way to the end of the trail, it'll be close to 20 miles. The problem is I won't be that tired by the turn, so I probably will do the whole thing. Ah well, I'll be able to justify the birthday cake on Sunday.
  • Yes I have the Adidas. And the 20 miles will be a really good test if you can get that far, you'll definitely deserve a beer on Saturday night.

Very happy it's Friday. Fairly light gym session on the way home tonight.
  • Well, road tested the headphones, and quite an improvement from the previous Sennheisers I had (and I loved them). Much clearer sound, and I like the option of the shorter cable.

20 miles done as well: managed to pick some of the worst weather to do my longest race. At one point, I was almost literally blown backwards.

The trick, I think, was to do an out and back route. You're not too tired at the turn, and that is what determines the length of run, as you have to run home. I knew that would have given me about an 18 mile run, so did the extra 2 first.
  • It was windy, but well done, 20 miles is a great effort. I would have done an out and back myself but it was getting too dark for my canal route so had to rely on town and roads. Next week should be able to head out early morning and straight into the country along the canal,

Anyway long run completed fine, although did have a sore calf / Achilles from about 6 miles, but it feels ok this morning. No weight loss at my weigh in yesterday but was working away for part of the week which doesn't help -9lbs still to go.

How's everyone else getting on? Anyone racing this weekend?
  • Hi Folks,

I have been enjoying reading all the support and motivation in thses pages...can I jump on the '2 Stone Off ' campaign please? You sound like a good bunch!

Weighed in today at 14 Stone 9lbs  and my aim is to get down to 12 stone 9 by april...my main motivation is that baby number 3 is on it way then and I will need to be fitter than ever! So 2 stone exactly is what I need to get rid off!

I was even heavier years ago but slowly got into running and have been around 14stone for a few years now and run several times a week. However, I tend to 'reward' my efforts a little too much with nice food and drink so maybe I need to rebalance things!image

Plan is three-fold:

1.Food: Cut out the crap, cook healthy meals, eat more fruit n veg. Have a few 'treat nights' in moderation.

2. Running wise, introduce speedwork and more long runs as the moment I tend to just run 3 or 4 miles each time at same pace.  I have done halfs and 10ks but would like to do some park runs and see if I can get a good time. PBs at 5, 10 and half should be achievable this year if I shed 2 stone.

3. Gym: Use gym more to work on upper body and also to swim a few times a week. And also to get back on my bike once the dark nights and mornings start to return.

So that is my aim and I look forward to joining you guys on the journey, shedding 2 stones. Thanks in advance for the support!

j.

• Happy Birthday Dan!  and well done on the 20!!!

Andy, after a run I blast my calfs & shins with the cold shower (after a nice warm shower) in hope that my shin splint/tight calfs/achilles problems don't come back!

Grant, how is your plan going?

J, hello & sounds like a good plan image

Straycelt, is the grazing working, some days i'm going to bed or wake up feeling hungry, although have eaten image

Still working my way back up slowly, tonight was a 6 miler, the last half mile was tough.

Amazing how something that makes you feel like you are just about to cark it one minute, turns into feeling fantastic (after stretch & shower!) the next minute!  image

• Happy birthday Dan!

And hello JtR, you're more than welcome to join, and thank you yes, we like to think that most of us are a good bunch... Sounds like you have a good plan in mind. I've always wanted to do the odd park run, but unfortunately I've got none close.

So thanks for the tip RFM, I did get into a good routine when training for the marathon before of having an ice bath when I got home - so must try and start those next weekend. I guess that's something to look forward to at the weekend...

Anyway looks like another outstanding Jantastic week, well done all, in the top group of teams. Just waiting for the hail to stop and I'm then out for my 1st run of the week, slightly reluctant tonight as i'm knackered from a day trip to London. Then home cooked Chinese food tonight.

• Andy thats my version of an ice bath, beacause I'm a wussy girlie!! 

Weighed in this morning and so far (from 2nd Jan) I have lost 7.1lbs image