Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Sarah welcome to the thread this will be my 3rd Brighton marathon and your right it’s a great event as for training plans there no hard and fast rule it about finding one that suits you as for running the whole 26 miles there no need at all

All i will run is 2 x 20 miles one of which i have just done and a 22 mile and the rest of the long runs will vary from 12 to 19

also remember these plans aren’t sent in stone fit the plan around your life no your life around the plan and adjust them to suite you for example the plan i am following called for the 20 miles plus runs to be done on following week which to be honest i did not fancy doing so last year i decided to do 1 a month

Which i am also doing this year so the long runs now look like this

January 14, 12, 20, 13, 18

February 15, 20, 14, 19

March 14, 22, 15, 16

as you can see i swap the e 20 mile run with the 12 this month as to suited me and after the 22 mile run the 16 is the largest run i have giving me a 4 week taper down time at this stage 13 miles is fine my long runs are only that hi as my plan started the second week in December

and if you miss the odd run don’t fret as long as you don’t miss to many

S/R yes i must say it is nice it has defiantly kick the nagging doubts i had into touch

• Well i have a gym session and an easy 30 min run today in the old training plan and tomorrow is a 90 -100 min run..im following a training plan by sam murphy it got me round very easily on my first marathon so ill stick to what i know works...last year i followed a different one and didnt feel so strong at the end not sure if the heat had anything to do with it!!! was 5 mins slower which irked me somewhat but hey ho, at least we can all say we've run marathons eh thats a big achievment to be proud of in my books, anyway, especially when people say gosh dont know how you can run that far i couldnt even walk a mile!!

Ive also lost a few pounds although some would say i dont need to !!! my running weight when i dont feel any thing jiggling around is 8 stone 7!! Im down to 8 stone 9 thats with healthy eating though none of this starving stuff...porridge, pasta,fish,chicken,beef,lamb,rice,egg, wholemeal bread,etc..oh and a few treats cant go without chocolate...but the one big thing ive managed to do is give up sugar in my tea!!! saves me 5 teaspoons a day thats 35 teaspoons a week!!

And also ive booked my holiday!! off to corfu in august...cant wait..put my greek language i learnt at college to good use!! That always puts you in a positive mood when you have things to look forward to eh image

Happy training to all

• Yvonne glad to hear the training’s going well and well done on the weight loss how’s the Garmin coming along

• Just done a 10 mile trail run. average pace was 10m/m. Pleased with that especially as there was a monster 2 mile hill climb at one point with the rest generally hilly. Cold bath now me thinks image
  • Juggler - I'm sticking with the original goal of under 4hrs, I just know that if I start getting more specific theres a real danger of me pushing the training too hard and risking injury, doesnt stop me wondering though, If all goes to plan I will find out on the day how far under I can go.

Great running Toby, what a difference from last week, just goes to prove what a funny old sport this is.

• Stig: it was a cold bath for me to after my 12& 1/2 mile effort earlier. Am getting used to them now, but still a shock when you first sit downimage.

yvonne: sounds like you have things well thought out with your training and diet.

• Karen: off your last half time, the McMillan calculator suggests sub 4 is a possibility for you. So yes, I reckon with proper training you have a good chance of hitting your target.
  • Just thought I would pop in and say hi! Lots of familiar "faces" on here from last year...didn't we all say never again?! Well, like that was going to happen!! I absolutely LOVED Brighton marathon last year; it was my first ever marathon and I did better than expected which I'm sure is down to the amazing support and atmosphere as much as the hard miles of training...

Back to it, I have just done my first 16 miler in quite a while and I feel...ok actually! I could have gone faster I think but having been injured (tendinitis) over the summer I had to start slowly and I'm still being careful but so far, so good!

Hope everyone is enjoying (if that's the right word!) their training and for those of you who are training for Brighton or for a marathon for the first time, you lucky things, you will love it!!

Here's to a healthy and happy few months.

Stella  

• SR - It was a poor attempt at a cold bath for me today. Couldn't bring myself to sit in it. You know where I'm coming from image so knelt instead just to get the lower legs a good soak.
  • Xine, Nice to hear that your training is going well in week2. Its good to get off to a good start.

Fortysomething, hope todays dip was not too cold image

Solent, that some serious weight loss. Congratulations. Well done on todays 12 miles too. 

Vik W. hello and welcome.4:30 would be excellent, and sounds well within reach !!

Toby, congratulations on an excellent run yesterday image. you must be so chuffed and it motivation at a high? I like you plan for the long runs. Just having a plan is half the battle...

Juggler, sounds like yourdoing fine....we still have 100 days to the big race.

Sarah, welcome. I hope that you find a plan that suits in with your other activities and the arm does not impact too much !!

Yvonne, I agree that being able to run a marathon is a great acheivement, sounds like you have a solid plan too. The weight loss will only help image

Stig,  good stuff for braving a cold bath after todays good run.  Sounds like a tough session with the hill !!!

Karen, with your recent PB you stand every chance!!! Motivation must be high for you too !! Goes to show what consistent running can do !!

Stella, well done on 16 Miles, sound slike you paced it well and were sensible after your recent injury. 

I have just got back from an undulating 16 Miles. Ran it at 68%MHR so was nice and easy. last weeks long run was 13 so trying to build sensibly !   That brings me to 47 miles for the week. I think that might even be a record week for me image. I could not face a cold bath so have gone with  the compression sock/tights option...... a well earned rest day tomorrow and then plan to join a local running club on monday night to help with the training/motivation !!!

• My watford half pack arrived this morning. 3 weekends to sharpen up.
    I did 1-58 last year but I'd only ever run 11.5 miles before, I started a bit late and spent the whole time up until April chasing more mileage.
    I'm going to be stalking the 1.45 pace maker this year. I remember being shocked when he flew past me at 10miles last year, mainly shocked at how fast I'd been moving up to that point crashed and burnt from there in though.
  • Evening all. I hope you are well. Some good mileage being clocked up.

AGF: up to a 47 mile week already. Eek. What do you expect your average weekly mileage to be?

Toby: Some big mile runs there. Good stuff. A 4 week taper sounds pretty extreme... But very well done on the 20 mile run this early on!!

Stella: Are you running again this year? I can't remember. Either way well done on 16 miler.

Yvonne: people always moan that I've lost too much weight, but currently I'm the heaviest I've been for a while; 10st12lbs. I probably lose another 4-5lbs between now and Brighton. Best prepare myself for the 'weight loss' comments....

Karen: as per others, sub 4 should be achievable from a 1:50 half. Providing of course training goes well. 

SR: sounds like you're getting nicely settled back in. Hope the injury has heeled!

Everyone else, and theres quite a few: hello! image

When comparing my current mileage with last year I'm quite a few miles down already. I haven't ran over 10 miles since my last half in September, however I did manage 8.5m at a little over 6m/m pace on Friday so the pace is there if not the distance.

The years target is to turn up in better shape than last year, injury free and having competed more than on average 1 mile a day for the 6 weeks prior to the race image 

• Tim O Iv’e used a 4 week taper for both pervious Brighton marathons i find it suites me

• Toby the garmin is going ok after a few blips where ive forgot how to find satelite oops so got on and ran but it was only a short 2 mile blast!! On reading up again and having a bood button fiddle ive got it down i think until today when id had it on laps so bleeped every half mile and had to press ok for it to carry on so ive turned laps off so im hoping tomorrow its yvonne friendly image....

Just need to attach it to pc and download runs which is another high tech dilema image

• Well 9M LSR done! image Training plan said slow 10M but I started the plan one week late so decided to be sensible. It felt pretty good. Used my HR monitor for the first time in years. I was pleasantly surprised at how long my BMR was (between 132-137) running at a steady 9.25 pace. It'll be interesting to see what is will be when a do some hard efforts.

I see some of you are doing much longer runs - I'm trying not to panic! image Bring on week 3!

• TimO, If I can average in the 40's up to the taper then I will be very happy !!  Those are some fast miles your putting in there !!

Flowery Fay, Nice running, I find that the HR feedback helps quite a lot......

• I know what you mean, yvonne! I've managed to stop mine going "beep" and frightening the life out of me at seemingly random intervals. I do love the data you can extract from it - geek at heart! image I'll be trying the route finding element this week, see if i can get it to work. *fingers crossed*

had a good week this week, despite the wind. One run that ended up wide of the mark pace wise - somehow the combination of a hilly route and (what felt like) galeforce winds slowed the tempo run somewhat image But a much better long run - 14 miles floated by where last week's 16 took an age. a minute a mile quicker for the 14. plotting the 18 for next weekend already.

Good running peeps.

• Garmin's rule! I sometimes just don't have the patience to wait until the satellites sync so I leave it on my doorstop whilst I'm getting changed into my running gear - just know its going to get nicked one day!! :0)

I think we all deserve a big pat on the back for the excellent efforts this week! Well done everyone!
  • Yea garmin worked well today or should i say ive now worked it out....9 miles today plan said 90 -100 min run easy.. garmin said i was doing a 10.12 min mile  average pace...just a tad over 9 miles..did feel good i must say and weather was lovely...anyone know if while running you can change the settings on the menu from pace to speed??didnt want to mess with it just in case i lost my data for today perhaps ill take it out walking the dog and have a fiddle....i do like my new toy i must admit liked the fact i dont have to plan the mileage on a free site map my run..i just ran..but good tip there flowery fay next time ill leave mine in garden to find satelite does take a min or 2 ....
  • Hey Guys, ive just finished a 16 mile long run, the longest of my marathon training so far!

• toby3 wrote (see)

Tim O Iv’e used a 4 week taper for both pervious Brighton marathons i find it suites me

I've been told that 4 week taper would be better than the 2 and three that I've done over the last 2 years. Apparently less than this coulde mean that I am still fatigued before the event itself! So got the Spitfire 20 as last long long run, followed by a 15 (Cranleigh) a twelve, an eight and then the race!

Great running by the sounds of it everyone well done!image

• I've found that mine finds satelites much more quickly if I put it on the car while I'm doing my shoes than if I wear it while it's doing so. Seems to work quicker if it's not moving about.

Yvonne - I'm sure you can set the different screens to give you speed. I have once screen set for total time, distance and current pace, with the next set for lap time, lap distance and average lap pace. Means I can see the overal picture and this lap with just a screen change. If you check the "data fields" in the manual (pg 54 of the 205 manual) you can find the list of avaliable data you can set it up to show.

• Sounds like a good running week / weekend from most folk. I stuck with a gym session today, 32 min on the XTrainer and 20 mins on the rower.

Fay, I'm only up to 10 miles at the moment, so we're about the same mileage.

TimO, that's impressive speed. Assuming things go okay over the next few months, I reckon you'll put in a good performance at BM.

EmmaC, nice to hear from you. Trust the training for Paris is going well!

Yvonne, glad the Garmin is sorted. Sounds like a good run as well.

Helen, Toby, AGF, Stella and  Pete, some good miles there!

Karen, I reckon you've a good chance of going sub 4.Which would be a great return after your summer interval sessions!!

Stig, Solent, impressed that you can cope with the cold bath! I have a cold shower on the legs after runs, but the thought of climbing into an ice cold bath is just one step too far!

Danny, hope it goes well for a better performance at Watford this year.

Waves to all, and wishing you a good week! imageimageimage

• Thanks for the reassurance Juggler image
  • Fantastic running going on, everyone, with some impressive mileage. Please forgive me for not responding to you all individually.
    Toby-Well done on your 20, must have been very encouraging.
    Re Garmin- Haven't had mine on yet as I am scared of what it will tell me re speed. Will put it on in a week and then no doubt have all the usual hiccups with it. I usually have to walk all the way along the road before it goes live. But very useful things when you get the hang of them.
    Stig and Solent- Might join you on the cold baths but almost seems more torturous than sitting in a river. Played Badminton with the kids this morning and the coach said that, at the height of his training, he used to sit in them for an hour at a time!! Brrr
  • Forgot to mention my 7 miler yesterday with a nice sit in the river at mile 4. Wasn't too cold, well cold but not freezing. Had to explain to some passing cyclists what I was doing in case they thought I was doing something weird like having a wee - not saying that to be found sitting in a river in winter isn't weird!
    Esther Rantzen came along to our Tough Guy fund raiser last night, for the N.S.P.C.C. Great lady.
    We raised £5500 but still some way off from our £25000 total.
  • Have uploaded my runs from my garmin onto the my garmin site with a little help from my 15 year old daughter, they have an advantage as they grew up with computers and technology!!!

How fascinating and very clever these little devices are, how have i not had one before? ive been running since 2004!! Was good to see my route and varios speeds but i guess as i never put it on laps i never got split times so i guess ill have to put up with pressing ok at the end of every mile to get split times...although when i pressed player you got your various min mile pace ..next time ill put it on speed to see what i prefer to look over...

Got told by eldest daughter today that i was showing off by telling her id run 9 miles today!!! 

happy, healthy training to all image

• Fortysomething: sitting in a river mid-run. Hahaha image

Emma: I count your taper as three weeks, as in three runs after the last long. This could just be me though... Either way, what you have planned sounds good image

Juggler: thanks. I couldn't keep it up over 26 miels though

AGF: 40 miles per week. Nice. All the best!

Pete: well done on the 16 miles earlier!

Helen: it was probably due to the all the christmas / NYE goodness still in the system image

Everyone else: *waves*

Garmin bods: any suggestions on what to buy / what your using? I keep looking as I'd like a way of seeing speed / times over the length of a run, rather than just the average speed at the end.

Lazy seven mile trail run this morning before breakfast. Rest day tomorrow!

• TimO - I'm just doing as I am told - so far so good (but only week 2!). My biggest hurdles so far - apart from badly behaved dogs on the downslink - are trying to fit in runs when I have three late evenings at work and a trip to Birmingham to fit in! Arghhh! What are you doing for your last long run?

I've got a Garmin 605 (I think) luckily for me part of my prize! I have to say it is fabulous! But if you don't have eagle eyes the 205 and 305 are great and cheaper!

Paris and Brighton - 14 weeks only to go!image

• TimO - I've got a 205, bought it a few months ago. Said I never wanted one, but I love it image  

It has 3 screens that can be configured with 2, 3 or 4 display times per screen. I don't find the digits at all hard to read, even at 4 items per screen. So I can see current pace, and the average pace over the lap. Total time and distance, as well as lap time and distance.

I use the garmin connect website, to look at the data. Its especially useful, as it showed me quite how uneven my pacing was, and has allowed me to improve this dramatically. The mapping is pretty good - it seems to be able to tell which side of the street I ran down, which I found impressive! An example for you to look at:linky

Some people find them large on their wrist. I found it uncomfortable on the knobbly bone in my wrist, so always run with a sweatband underneath it. Strap is easily long enough to cope with this.

From what I can gather, the 305 only differs in that it has a HRM facility as well.

I've heard bad things about the 405 touch bezel and rain.

Later versions seem to not necessarily add anything in terms of functions, but they are smaller, and have a newer satellite locating/calculating algorithm. In theory they should be more accurate, but who needs accuracy to the meter anyway? there is a cost implocation to later models...