On the brink of drink

Hi all and a happy new year !        I,m just starting training for my first London marathon . Ive been on the wagon since new years day , do you think I should stay on completely until the day or treat myself to a few beers once a week ? what harm could it do?

Comments

• You've asked the internet because you fancy a drink? You've got the breaking strain of a Kit Kat.......
  • You have to be realistic, I am running the VLM and will continue to drink BUT the Friday night drinking till I'm drunk are well over. Saturdays and Sundays are my main training days ( Parkrun and Long Runs)I can drink 4 pints and get up in the morning feeling fresh so I am sensible and don't over do it.
    I am having 5 cans of beer now while I watch the footie - A reward for running 14 miles today!
    Anyway I have read loads that a few beers can and are OK before running. I shall be having a couple of lagers in London to help me sleep
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Chris Roome became the oldest ever winner of a county medal when he ran 2:55 for a marathon. He was 63 years old and had sunk 6 pints of real ale the previous evening.

🙂

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    as long as you have two alcohol free days per week apparently you will be perfectly healthy.
  • I have a couple of beers before every mara. I do cut down dramatically on the build up, usually Jan alc free and then sensible intake until mara day.  couiple of beers won't do you any harm
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    themp wrote (see)
     Hi all and a happy new year !        I,m just starting training for my first London marathon . Ive been on the wagon since new years day , do you think I should stay on completely until the day or treat myself to a few beers once a week ? what harm could it do?

So... a week?! I think that kit kat mentioned previously would come out tops!

If you are going to be drinking enough that you start missing runs or reducing the quality of your runs because of it then it is not going to do you any good obviously. Given the time between having your last drink and asking when you can have another I wouldnt bet on you not being able to drink until mid april. Don't go stupid and you will be ok.

• According to the papers today, 9th January is the date that most people pack in their New Year's Resolutions image

I'm on the wagon until after Brighton Marathon, I cut out alcohol when I was training for half marathons and found it really helped my training.  Between Christmas and New Year I managed to do several long runs on days following evenings when I had basically marinated myself in booze, but I had the luxury of being on hols from work so I could sleep off a hangover instead of trying to run through it.

For me, its not so much the booze as the wanting to laze eating comfort food the next day that ruins my training plans ... I can't afford to lose days of my training to a hangover and I find it easier to say "I won't have any" as "I'll have one ... ok make that two ... who wants tequila shots?" image

• Treat yourself image

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://ninjatriathletemonkey.blogspot.com/

• Thanks for all your  positive comments think I will treat myself once a week if not what,s the point it,s not like i,m gonna win it. Cheers to you all . Oh and Lirish would  that be chunky or regular ?