VLM 2012 first timers???

Comments

• Hi

Kaffeeg oh no! hope all goes well with the physio, but as everyone else is saying, DO AS HE/SHE SAYS, stay positive I am sure all will be well image  same applies to you Len image

Black and Tabby  run went really well did just over nine today, got wet again !!

Suarez  I am just adding a little bit on to the novice 1 long runs, spending my waking hours thinking how I can add bits on to my run to make them longer ...... not looking forward to figure out where the heck I am going to run for 20miles !!!!!  

pip

• Kaffeeg - If you need physio I hope it's nothing major. I've been out with a muscle sprain in the back of my knee and am only being allowed to run this Thursday after being out for a month! Sort of made peace with spending my time on the bike. Do keep us updated as to what is diagnosed.

Philippa where are you situated? Gade Valley Harriers do a pretty good 20miler (there's masses of cake and warm tea afterwards- heaven!)http://www.gadevalleyharriers.co.uk/marathontrainingruns.html they have RW reviews about them too image I did the 17 miler last year and loved it, despite the freezing cold!

Black and Tabby- Hello! Have a go at the for goodness shakes range, I have to ration myself to having them only after long runs, though hot chocolate is something I've never thought of trying before...additionally, what are the shot bloks like? I have trouble with gels on the whole so am looking to try something else out in training and wondering what the general stance is?

Nic
  • Hi everyone. Not been on here for ages but thought I'd update where I'm up to training wise. Long run of 11miles today with a couple of killer climbs for good measure. Knew about the 1 at 6.5 but the long steep 1 surprised me at 9 miles! Should have taken the fact that I was finishing at a reservoir as a clue?

Anyway after 2 weeks of 17miles, this week 22 the old knees are a bit achy. On the one hand a easy week may be preferable on the other I have no kids or husband next Sunday so we'll play it by ear...
  • Hi

Nicola I am in south wales, but must admit sounds brilliant just looked at the web site especially like the thought of tea and  cakes mmmmm yum.  What are goodness shakes ? still thinking about jelly beans etc I am vegetarian so some of these things prob contain gelatin.  Going to google it.  Blimey well done runningRaRa !

pip

• Philippa & Nicole - these are the Shot Bloks on eBay only £2.20 for a pack so worth a try. I've tried various gels and all of them have upset my digestive system in different ways (NOT what you want on a long run!) Shot Bloks are like cubes of jelly, all nice natural stuff, no gelatine (I'm veggie too!), no artificial sweeteners and as well as cards they've got electrolytes tp top up the ssalt you've lost.

No - I don't work for them BTW!!! Just pleased to have found something that works for me!

RunningRaRa - good run!

• Pip

goodness shakes are milk shakes that replace all nutrients and minerials you loose when you do long runs, i stumbled across them at my local tesco but sadly they stopped selling them so i buy them online, i've tried so many different recovery drinks/food but these work so fast to the point that when i get home from a long run and have no energy i drink one and within 10 mins i feel much better

• Ooooh thanks for the link Black and Tabby! Ordered a few so will see how I go. (haha good to include your disclaimer of working for them!) but it's great when you find something that works so well, hopefully I'll have the same results.

RunningRaRa- Hello, and hope the knees ease up on the complaining! Am not a fan of hills that are surprises either!

Philippa- Wales! I'm doing Llanelli half and possibly Race the Train later on in the year. Was worth a try with mentioning the Harriers! I'm in London so it's a bit of a drive but I love getting away to run in different places. Goodness shakes are recovery drinks, that taste like milkshake in various different flavours. Rather addictive. I like to use them as my little reward for putting in a quality long run! Found a link, and RW has done reviews of them: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/reviews/nutrition/recovery-products/for-goodness-shakes-milkshake/51443.html
  • My calf is hurty image . Like, really hurty. Bugger.

I'm telling myself that this is why I gave myself 18 weeks to do a 16 week training plan, and I'll rest it for a bit, take brufen, massage it, be generally nice to it. Sigh. 

x

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

thanks all! really appreciate the support.

got physio today at 12. 30pm.  I keep wanting to cry......This is MY LIFE TIMES AMBITION to do this marathon.  I simply got to do it.  I hope I am just a a big drama queen.

Len2 - noooooooooooooooooooooo.  I hope you are ok.  That is exactly what I am telling myself too - it is exactly for this reason we have all been sensible and started our training early - so we're fine fine fine.  Have you tried the RICE things? (rest, ice, compression, elavation?).  Although from all the things I've looked up on the internet (by the way; don't research on the internet unless you want to scare yourself witless) some places say not to compress as it may cause more problems - just depends what you have.

((hugs)))

• Thanks kaffeeg. I haven't done any RICE yet, done lots of gentle stretching and for some sick reason I seem to have to take my daughter roller skating tonight....so I will start the ice and rest when I get back from that, and see how it goes. I refuse to panic yet. Maybe at the end of the week if it's not feeling any better!

Update us on the physio appointment!!

• I'm new to this board, thought I would pop on and say good luck with the training to everyone.

I have found out I have a place through my running club, which was scary and exciting at the same time. I've never run a marathon or even half marathon before. In fact I've only ever entered 3 races - so this should be fun !

I'm up to 12 miles, and have a 15 mile race on the 22nd Jan so need to get a 13/14 mile run in next week.

Has anyone been experimenting with gels during runs yet ?

What are people planning on taking to eat on the way round, jelly babies etc. I know I'll get hungry after a couple of hours !!

Again good luck everyone and hope the training goes well.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    Spivers - welcome and good luck! Sounds like your training is coming on a treat. I know nothing about gels/sweets - going to start experimenting on my runs.

And: YAYAYAYAY! Physio said it's 'shin splints' and not a bad case at all. No running for a week, another appointment with him next week where he will teach me to strap up my leg to secure it and see if I can run. He thinks that will bbe it and I'll be fine. YAY!

Len - hope you get to rest later and you get on the mend.

The pyhsio said that stretching every day, where excerising or not is a good idea. He also said that running bare foot is better, he has done lots of research into it. Not sure I'm brave enough to try that one out though...
  • Welcome Spivvers! Everyone has something different that works for them, unfortunately it's a process of trial and error mainly! I have a lot of trouble with gels, so tend to rely on lucozade bodyfuel energy tablets and water to get me through my long runs. Try whatever takes your fancy in training, you can generally Google what people think of products, otherwise I am sure there are some threads/reviews on here. Are you using anything at the moment to get you through your 12+ mile runs?

Kaffeeg- SO pleased you've caught that early! A week's rest will no doubt be welcomed by your body. Fab that you will be at the mara start line! Hmm, barefoot is a completely different way of running, perhaps something to experiment with after April? I read Born to Run and was then fired up to research into barefoot running, have a few friends that have started it but it has taken them a while to build up their distances, most I know don't do more than 8miles. Still keen to try it though! Let me know if you decide to take the plunge!

Len2- hope the RICE tactics are paying off?
  • can't keep up with all the posts but talking about running barefoot - I saw a guy on Saturday running in those shoes that have toes - looked flat and uncomfortable to me but he seemed fine - whatever rocks your boat!

3 whole miles on a treadmill today - and it seemed to take forever far longer than running outside.

I just keep reminding myself - broken ankle May 2011 marathon April 2012 all I need to do is do it.

• I always think it takes longer to run on a treadmill too! How can this be the case?

At what distance would people start taking on fuel mid-run? I've done a few halves without but remember my husband coming home from a 14 miler and nearly collapsing during training for his 1st mara. I would add that he has a wiry runners physique whereas I reckon I have more fat reserves to draw upon. Lol.

Knees certainly know about my 11 miler yesterday. Got loads of sympathy with all the aches and pains on here. 3 or 4 tomorrow. Easy does it me thinks...
  • Hello - can I join in?

I've been reading this thread for a couple of weeks now - yes I am your official stalker so thought I should join in!

This will be my first marathon and I was extremely fortunate to get through on the ballot.My acceptance magazine arrived the day my husband moved out - I'm taking that as a sign!

So as a newly single mother of two kids I'm finding it challenging to get all my runs in but I WILL do it - I absolutely will do it.

I started running (well, let's be honest from the start, shuffling) a couple of years ago when I entered my first race for life. Since then I've done several more of those, a 10k, two half marathons and now have the big one coming up.

I've lost 3 stone and could ideally do with losing another two but am not too fussed as with all the running and a couple of military fitness type sessions each week I'm in better shape than I've been for over 10 years!

I am most definitely not built for speed - most of you could walk and keep up with me whilst I run but I just LOVE being out there putting in the miles - it's my therapy, no-one can get me. I run along the trans-pennine trail mostly which is lovely and without hills - i HATE hills!

My last half marathon was in October and since then I've gone right back to the beginning. Latest 'long' run was 11 miles which took me 2hrs and 20 minutes - ha! I told you I was slow! 12 miles on Friday and because i am some sort of freak am really looking forward to it!

Looking forward to getting to know you!

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

cregmallin - i saw someone in those too (when I did my very fast, for me, 10k race the day after I did 13 miles - which was the start of my injury).  I was eavesdropping into a conversation the wearer was having with another racer who was asking about it.  She said that in the normal shoes she got so many injuries and since she started wearing the toe/flat ones she hasn't had any.  Said it took her a while to get used to it, but she swears by them.   I think I'll stick to my injury inducing Brooks for now.....

Runningrara - the most I've done is 13 miles and not taken on anything yet.  This week was meant to be 15 miles and was going to take a couple of jelly babies with me to practice with on that one.  But, alas, I will instead be having a lie in and keeping the leg elevated - part of me is disappointed, part soooooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to actually having a weekend!  I completely understand the fat reserves bit - think thats what gets me through it. But what a great excuse to eat sweets!!

BridgetFrancis2 - what great motivation! I think it's a brilliant sign, - out with the old in with the new sort of thing!  Ending relationships is horrible to go through, and can't imagine what it must be like with children thrown in.  But a marathon is a fanastic way to look forward - good on you!!     Slow and steady is good - it always amazes me when I do races and think I'm an imposter amongst all these elite atheletes - they all start really fast, I keep my slow pace (as can't do the fast thing), and then there are always a few that I over take towards the end - much to their horror and my smugness!

• RunningRaRa- Apparently it's more a case of 'when' rather than at what distance you need to start refueling. I believe (though don't take my word for it) it's around the 50min-1 hour mark for any run that is going to be longer that you need to start taking on glucose. And unfortunately us women do tend to have the more generous fat reserves compared to men....which is great in ultramarathon distances as we have the advantage there! Hope the knees are happier with your 3-4miler today image

Hello and welcome Bridget Francis 2! So lovely to hear you've steadily built up your distances. I run in London which is not always so fabulous amongst the car fumes! Brilliant on losing three stone! I could do with losing a couple myself so am trying to be strict throughout training. I'm not a speedster either- far prefer scenery and having a chat most days whilst the legs are in motion! Are you doing any halves this year before London to practice racing?
  • Morning all! Welcome new people image.

Calf news.... roller skating doesn't hurt a bit  image but it did hurt again afterwards. I wwent home and foam rollered it to death, then slapped on loads of voltarol and went to bed. Seems better this morning. More of an achey tightness than actual pain. So fingers crossed that a bit of rest solves it, and I can run again asap! I feel more positive today anyway, if it gets that much better overnight, it can't be too serious, right??!

• Hi all

welcome to our little gang Bridgit Francis 2 and spivversimageimage

Kaffeeg brilliant news from your physio

Len keeping my fingers crossed for you

Nicole I was thinking about doing Llanelli half as not too far away from me.  Only thing that week I am supposed to be doing a longer run, so don't know what to do really, should I stick to my plan or juggle it around a bit ??  what does everyone else think ?

Is everyone going to be carrying fluids with them on THE DAY or relying on getting them as they go round ? so many questions sorry .

pip

• Philippa francis - Oooh Llanelli...I signed up to that about a month ago image Doing it with a few friends of mine...one's a chiro so very reassuring if I break myself! You could always race your half marathon if you're supposed to be doing longer runs? I have another half (yes, went a bit crazy one evening and paid half my salary away) the week after which I plan to properly race if knee permits me. I've never done it (Llanelli, that is) before, have you? You should be able to have a look at the race route on the website where they detail where any water stations will be set up and you can plan your hydration from that....otherwise I just take my camelbak! Depends what works for you, personally I can't stand running whilst holding a bottle. For VLM I'm going to grab fluids from the stations on the way round. A race that size will have water stations approx. every 2 miles, interspersed with lucozade/gatorade/some-type-of-ade stations throughout.

Len- sounds like you have given your calf every encouragement to improve and heal, but keep a beady eye on it! If it gets worse, RICE/physio could be the next option? Hope it doesn't give you any more trouble though.
  • Hi all

Injury has struck with me too, I've managed to pull a muscle in my thigh, no idea how image  Pretty sore at the moment.  I'll be going on the bike to try and keep my fitness up and might go swimming too.  Trying to stay positive!!

Can anybody advise on restarting your training program after a having a week plus out?  I'm worrying about missing the long weekend runs and getting back up to the distance in time.

Pip - I'm not planning on carrying my own fluids, I'll have a bottle of water or probably energy drink with me before the start but after that I'll be taking the water they provide.  I'm taking my own gels though as I don't get on too well with Lucozade products.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Pip - i'll be carrying a small bottle and giving more sports drink to my supporters at strategic points (e.g. 20k/30k). That way, I can avoid carrying too much.

• Kaffeeg - Yes I think I'll stick to the asics

Runningrara - glad it's not just me on treadmills - fuel and water is such a personal thing - I took advice on websites for half marathon and drank far far too much - guess the guidelines are not for 5ft nothing people like me. I intend to take one bottle - some jelly babies and rely on what they provide.

Hi Bridget- loving your post - I like the escapism running gives - Im not built for speed either but when I'm running I'm a 6ft athlete ha ha

Geena - I'm recovering from a broken ankle, I have pins and screws fitted and I just started running again in October. My advice is listen to your body and don't push it too hard. I have good and bad days - my best run in recovery has been 8 miles my worst just one mile in agony. If I can run I do and I if I try to push further if I think I am being lazy but if it hurts or doesn't work I just don't do it. I am confident this will get me through.
  • Oh dear this is turning into an injury thread! What are we all going to be like by April? Since this is my 1st Mara and I have a history of injury my goal is to get to the finish line injury free and complete the race. Nothing more. As this thread is proving already this is easier said than done. However with this goal in mind I'm not going to get too worried over missing training runs when that's what's needed. Odd weeks of lower mileage can be hugely beneficial in my case.

Len-I love my foam roller! Hurts like hell though.

Bridget-all power to you! I always say that I can run for ever but I'll never be fast. I just plod along happy. With 4 children at home/working with kids running is pure escapism. At least by already being committed to Mara you are forced to find that time for you.

5 miles tomorrow...
  • Kafeeg-like your thinking-excuse to eat sweets'! I did moonwalk last year and became quite reliant on egg mayo butties. Wonder if I can get my husband to hold some out for me mid-race???
  • I'm still on the bench image but I'm still hopeful that it will all just clear up and disappear! Stupid legs. In the meantime, I will go swimming tonight, and I'll do some core work and other stuff. May as well make use of my time!
  • Morning all! Welcome to all the new posters, and ice, ibuprofen and sympathy to all the injured image Sounds like everyone's having the same sort of thoughts about water / gels etc as their runs get longer. I think the best thing is that we have loads of time still to practice and try different products on our long runs. I'll be carrying Shot Bloks with me, and relying on water stations. I'll be ignoring Lucozade / free gels etc on the day, as I just don't like them / they don't like me image !! Best advice I've been given is try everything, find what works and then stick to it - don't try something new on the day just because its free!

Rest day today for me (phew!) need it after another hilly 50 mins yesterday. Very hilly 9M race in 2 1/2 weeks time, so need to get my hill work in now, and then I can just concentrate on building up my distance.

Happy running everyone!

• Going off my training schedule a bit at the moment and think I will throw another rest day in today as i felt a few niggles yesterday following a hard 10k on Monday. Spent about an hour yesterday with bags of frozen vedge on various parts of me and crossing fingers that nothing gets progressively worse!

I'm finding it hard to rest and really want to get out today but know it is wiser not to, I'm even really looking forward to my 14 mile long run this weekend ... never thought I'd say that!
  • Knees aren't warming up at all today. So much for 5 mile run. Will see how they feel at tea time but probably best to rest today and not risk missing long run on Sunday.