Halstead & Essex Marathon

Planning ahead, I'm in already. Can't wait

Flynn, you out there? The confirmation email from "Mucky Races" has the date as 11th May but it's 13th, right?

Look forward to seeing you all there next year

Comments

• Just signed up for this. To be my second marathon. Looking forward to it a lot. Nervous about those hills though!
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    There is another, long-standing thread on this event if you have a look.
  • Where is it Wilkie? I looked but can't find it!
  • Oh, last year's thread! I get it

Thanks

• Roderick McLachlan wrote (see)
    Just signed up for this. To be my second marathon. Looking forward to it a lot. Nervous about those hills though!
    They're actually quite tame, mild undulations at the worst. Get some nice hilly routes into your long Sunday runs & you'll be prepared for anything this race can throw at you
  • Ajax wrote (see)
    Roderick McLachlan wrote (see)
    Just signed up for this. To be my second marathon. Looking forward to it a lot. Nervous about those hills though!
    They're actually quite tame, mild undulations at the worst. Get some nice hilly routes into your long Sunday runs & you'll be prepared for anything this race can throw at you
    Sorry! Should read "moderate undulations"
  • I am down for it this year too. Pulled outlast year with an injury 3 weeks before. Fingers crossed this time, as I have already booked my accommodation!
    Good luck in your training everyone.
  • I haven't written in Runners World for nearly a year!  Signing up for this race has given me a new lease of life.  So looking forward to this, as its my first marathon aswell.  Got to get some hill training in! image
  • Whoops!!   Nearly 2yrs! (how time flyes)
  • This will be my second marathon also, i note it is well attended by thanet road runners who rate the event very highly so I shall be there, does anyone know ..wheres the nearest accommodation?

Rick

• Just booked my placed. this will be my first ever Marathon, and i can't wait. Long runs up to 22-23 miles now, so hopefully i'll be ok image
  • Just entered after a 20 mile training slog - would like to get under 4 hrs but not confident after today.
  • Hi, If anyone's going from SE/Central London and would have lift-space in a car could you please get in touch? Trains seem tricky to get to the start in time! Thanks, looks good and I've signed up but a 60mile cycle isn't my ideal warm up...

• I'm signed up for this. Will be my third marathon. All this year, too. I got the bug. Desperately want a sub-4 after running 4:02 and 4:04 in the first two. Hopefully I will be able to tag along with some people running a similar time, because I'm a poor student and can't afford a Garmin, so I have no idea what speed I'm at.

I do hope it's not too hot because I really feel the heat, especially that far in the sultry South. Didn't plan on running in any months without an R but I want that sub-4 too much and can't wait.

Still, looking forward to it very much!

• as a slower runner would this still be ok for me ? I would expect to finish in 5:45 or 5:30
  • Hi Amanda I have entered this one and it will be my first marathon so very nervous and I will be very slow. Hubby did it last year and said was a very friendly event with all abilities represented. Have you checked out the previous times - think you will be fine .
  • Have entered this but looks like I will be unable to run due to a knee injury.

Does anybody want my place? Paid £26 for it and will gladly take £20 for it! Best way to contact me is via text: 07886 888 624

• Bad luck Sam. Same thing happened to me 2 weeks before last year. Rather than sell my ticket I emailed the organisers and they kindly rolled my entry over for this year. It cost £5 admin fee I think which is still less than what you'd lose on selling your ticket. With that said it's a popular event so you should have no trouble off loading your ticket.
    Good luck with the knee, I feel your pain!!
  • excellent thank you really looking forward to it image possibly not the drive home though
  • I contacted the organiser to see if I could defer my entry to next year but they said that's not possible this year...bit frutrating! If you do hear of anybody wanting a space then point them my way!
  • I am really interested in leaving water bottles for the stations - can we say which ones we want them at?

Also for me and mum it is a 1.5 hr drive so we would probably aim to get there for 08:30 - 08:45 from past experience is this too late to get our water bottles in ? I would hate to rely on that and then have no room to put ours in

• Amanda,

There is plentiful water and sponges around the course (including unofficial water stations run by friendly locals) so most people use the 'drop' for energy drinks.  The way this worked last year was that you placed your drink (max 3), labelled with your number in the box for the appropriate water station.  Once the boxes are full, the service is closed.  I would have thought you would be OK at the time you are arriving, but it is always worth having a plan B, in case you get stuck in traffic etc etc.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Amanda - I've done this race twice before and got cramp last time I did it and finished in 5:54. There will be a group if us ladies from Dagenham 88 Runners and will be some one running at your pace come and say hello.

• Rosemary and Tracey thank you very much. I am so looking forward to it now image am planning on using the water stations for lucozade and my dad is now coming as driver/supporter sonworst case can leave some with him. My mum is also running this with me but we will be sure to come and find you will be nice having some company.
    Me and mum just did London but unfortunatly mum picked up an injury to her knee five miles in so we ended up walk/running still had an amazing day but we want to get the time we had hoped for and also have Edinburgh marathon at the end of may so thought this was a good way to keep the fitness levels up image see you there ladies can't wait
  • I think Halstead must have a surge of entries after Brighton and London.  Last year, I entered it after having a terrible run in Brighton, due to the unusually hot weather and my own unrealistic expectations on timing.  I think they even increased the number of entries available as they had so many!  It's very different to the atmosphere of a large marathon like London or Brighton, but very enjoyable and really well organised.  See you thereimage

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Amanda - there is the cross of part of the course that we go through 4 times which would be a good place for your dad to support you. There is going to be a small Fetch point and your dad would be welcome there.

Rosemary - I did Brighton the last year and got a pb. Was on for a pb this year until I got cramp. Am aiming for a sub 5hr image There are two faster ladies from my club doing it. Also a ladies doing her first marathon and two that did VLM last week.
  • Perfect I will get him to see if he can bring a little chair to sit on image thank you all so much for your help I am really looking forward to this run it has such excellent reviews. I fully expect to be near the back if not last but who knows I might just pull something out the bag on the day image
  • Tracey G, funny how different our experiences were! I knocked 50 minutes off last year's time in Brighton and 21 mins off my PB.  I shall be treating this as a nice day out, which it assuredly won't be if the weather is as bad as todayimage.  I remember the Fetchpoint last year, they were great. 
  • A nice day out for me too.....hopefully saunter round those beautiful lanes enjoying some SUNSHINE. Still angry about Shakespeare.