New Year...New runner

Comments

• One step at a time, but whatever you're motivation, welcome and good luck with it all.

You'll get there and there is tonnes of support on here. Sure you'll get there.

• Hey bellasmum,

Same boat here but have to start somewhere. Got out for my first run and glad I got first one out the way. Not really got a plan to follow but just gonna take it steady and go for improving distance over a period of time rather than speed work.

Hope it all goes well for you image

• Well I have done it, I have been out for a walk, just to Tesco and back, 1.1km each way and was carrying shopping back.  Took 15 min18 there and 15 min 20 back.  Just feel glad to have done something. Going to rest now though!
  • Well done maamalade.
    As they say evert little helps!

Ive just got back from my second run at 2.3 miles with a big hill thrown in. It hurt ne like hell and hurt my lungs from there on. Feel down about it now, coughin guts up here now. Does this happen to everyone or have i just overdone it too soon?

Cheers
  • It could be a couple of things, I think the main one possibly being too much too soon. Good efforts though don't get me wrong, but the distance you're covering including a hill seems a lot for only a second run.

When I run I do end up coughing, but that's coz I'm asthmatic and it will hurt so I set myself the challenge to push myself but not to the point my lungs hurt/burn. Sometimes that just means slowing down a bit, but can still do same distance, sometimes I walk. I would suggest if you feel your lungs hurting just slow down a bit and see how that goes.

The one thing I can say is that it will get easier with time and practice so keep at it and give yourself a big pat on the back, that's 2 runs down!!!

• Grr - sort of forgot to go out. Busy day and then I found myself eating dinner straight after putting the baby to bed, when I remembered I had planned to go out.  So, tomorrow, I will get my stuff ready and when I get home from my day out with the family - I will get changed and go straight out.  And then I will come here and tell you all about it!

Well done to others who did get their brains in gear and got out the door!

• Hi every one im just starting out too and ginger very much like you, had to have a word with myself.

Ive been feeling sluggish and cant be bothered for a while and i know its alot to do with eating rubbish, no exercise and being 3 stone over weight. The first part of my plan was to give up smoking... on christmas day my hubbie and i had been smoke free for 3 monthsimage  I have thought about running on several occasions but was prepared with a list of excuses why i couldnt. Yes embaracement was a big part of itimage

The gym and exercise classes are out for me at the moment as my hubbie has just been made redundant, so i decided it was time to take the plunge and am too (trying) doing the C25k trainning programme. think i am going to have to repeat quite a few weeks though lol

Today apart from a disasterous run i was surprised to learn that i have lost about 4lb since the 29th of Dec so am feeling rather pleased with myself x

• Ive also asked to goin the group on face book xx

• Hi guys....hope you don't mind me joining in. Have tried running on and off over the past 6 years!! On and off due to the arrival of 3 children. As my youngest is now starting pre school i have no excuse. I small pretty slow and our local running club is snap elitist one do hoping you guys can spur me on.
    My goals for 2012 are to complete a 10k in under an hour and to for a 10 miler !
    Gemmax
  • Hi all, I'd like to join in too! I've loved reading your stories, reasons for starting out, and all the tips. image I'm Rachel, a 40 year old mum of 4, ranging in age from 14 to 3, and I find it pretty hard find time to exercise. I'm not overweight, but I am unfit, and feeling a bit low and lethargic tbh. I have downloaded an app for my phone and have so far managed to completed my 2 scheduled 'runs' this week (2 mins walking, 8 mins running x 2 today, quite proud!)and have also dusted off some of my old exercise dvds.

I think my problem is going to be prioritising myself, I used to shoot (archery) and still love it, but with 4 children to ferry about, I just kept missing tournaments and never get time to practise. At least with the dvds and the running I can hopefully grab the odd 1/2 an hour when I can.. I don't feel I can join a running club or anything, as this would just be another thing I never got to go to, because somebody else needed me to be at home doing something else! (And I thought as quite a few of you seem to be mums you might understand)!

I would really like to be able to run 10k. (Although even typing that makes me feel really anxious, as I'm not confident I will ever do it). I run the Race for Life with my daughter each year, and I can usually do that (with walking breaks) in under 30 mins, but that is all the running I do. I was going to enter a 10k, but tbh the last thing I need is to fail and feel rubbish about it, so I am just going to take it a step at a time, and plod on with my walk/running app, and see where it gets me.

Just realised I sound a right miserable cow! I'm actually quite cheerful in real life! image
  • Rachel- if you get a bit fitter, your archery will improve too- certainly I've found that running fitness has let me get away with much less trainig for the type of shooting I do.

Yes, it is a lot easier to fit running into a busy life than to get to a club night- it just needs a bit of thinknig ahead- can you ferry the kids somewhere, then run while they're doing what ever it is they do, and then you're ready to take them home, or can they go out on bikes alongside you while you run?

Good luck

• My daughter will run with me, she did today! image It's the little one who's the tricky one, he's not very well behaved and needs a lot of supervision.. I left him with his dad! I'm sure this is more achievable than a whole day out at an archery meet though.. even if archery is a lot more fun than running(heretic!) And my toddler enjoys 'helping' me with my tae bo dvds, so he has his uses... as a weight to lift!
  • Time constrants have always been a nightmare for me too. Hubby is able to look after kiddies all weekends only - and they tend to be ruled by the kiddies activities - It is getting easier and I have vowed to get more organised with the time i do have. First run for me is tomorrow - Was supposed to go today but it didnt work out - no excuse and I am SOO angry with myself.
    Hoping that because I have typed down that I am going tomorrow that it will force me to.
  • Aw don't be down on yourself! Tomorrow is another day, and you will get out and running then! xx
  • Hooray - completed my first run of 2012. not sure time and distance as forgot to press start ? Think I had run for about 12 minutes or so when I rememberd and I then covered 5k in 35 minutes so must have been out for about 45 minutes and done 7k ish - Wasnt planning to go for that long but ended up getting lost so was quite good really - Feel really chuffed with myself and super motivated. How is everyone else getting on ?
  • Hey everyone, id like to join this thread too, could do with some motivation! Im an on/off runner, seem to do really well for afew months every year then stop again so im hoping joining a thread and chatting to people will help keep me going this time. My aim for this year is just to stick at it, i know i enjoy it and it makes me feel good so why do i stop doing it?!

Did my first run on sat, 2 miles not sure of the time, pretty slow! the wind was so strong, afew times i was actually running and not moving image  bet it gave people in their cars a laugh!

think im going to enter into a 10k and use a training guide, i find it easier to stick to when i have a plan.

Hope everyones trainings going good image

• Hi all

Only got out once last week.

Did however take the dog out for an hour walk three times.

We've just been up to the park and done 11 times walk 1 run 1 again.

Will walk again tomorrow and then shuffle on Wednesday.

Hope its going well for u allimage 

• I've done it, I've bloody well done it, I'm so excited I have reached my goal of completing the first day of the C25k training programme. Not a marathon I know but last week I only managed 4 lots of 50 second runs followed by 100 second walks. Today I did 8 lots of 60 second runs followed by 90 second walks. Pluss 5 minute brisk walk warm up and a 10 minute walk cool down and stretches!!!!! I am sooo chuffed !!
  • Well done everyone! Great stuff!
  • Well done guys. Long may it continue
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Well done Claire!
  • I started in November, can I join in too? Got about four stone to lose, wanting to get into a 10k in the spring.

For a 5k, do you have a local Parkrun? There's one in Newcastle, and I'm thinking of going along in a couple of weeks time.

pursuedbyangrybees.wordpress.com

• Well done everyone, seems like you're all making a brilliant start to the year.  I know I can't wait to say YIPEE that's run 1 of 2012 done, but until I'm a bit better I'm going to have to stick to nice slow walks.  Did just over 5k today so not as bad as it could be, will walk again tomorrow, prob about 4miles so see how that goes, but can't 'brisk' walk it yet either, but hey, at least its something!

Keep up the good work everyone, looking forward to reading more success stories soon, got to have something to give me drive while I'm off work image

• Angry Bees - where is the parkrun in Newcastle? Just thinking in time could be good for my mum image
  • Hey guys
    still abit sore from previous run but just about to head out on my third run. Hope it goes well...going to stay on the flat this time.

Just found out that there is a park run just round corner from my house so maybe thats somethin to aim for once fitness picks up.

Hope everyone's training is going ok!!

Ive also just ordered nike+ with sportsband. Can anyone give any feedback on it?
    Cheers
  • Maamalade - Exhibition Park, every Saturday - their site is here

Reckon I'll be there in two or three weeks time...

• Just had 3rd run felt absolutely great. 3 miles on generally flat road this time with a few mild hills thrown in. 25 mins. Could have gone further as I felt good but don't want to push it. Really motivated me that run and can't wait to get out again. Didn't spew my guts up this time.

Would absolutely love to keep this up and keep pushing myself.

Thanks for reading!
    Roy
  • Angry bees - thanks for that, hopefully one day when I'm back home, and running again, will meet you there for a run image  Mum may take a little longer to convince, will find out next weekend when I see her just how serious she is.

Roy - Brilliant time on your run, quickest I ever got on 3 miles was 33 mins! Just don't overdo it, keep the motivation there and continue to enjoy it!

After a long spell of illness and slowly recovering I walked a total of 5.5km yesterday, but throughout the day and total took about hour and half ish, but given I'm still taking it easy and building strength aren't too unhappy.  Today though I have up'd the pace and dug my stepper out, just couldn't face going outside image Thought going to be tougher than a slow walk, but will try and do 10mins and ended up doing 20!!! Feeling really good for it too image Going to head back to the cold outdoors tomorrow and do another walk but see if I can stretch the distance a bit, but take it nice and steady to see how I go.

Hope you are all feeling positive still and enjoying the progress and achievments that you have made.

• Well done every one for their achievements this week. Maamalade so sorry to hear you have been unwell but glad to hear you are now recovering ! And getting out there walking is very inspirational, it must take quite an effort to get out there at the moment!
    I am off for my 4th run tomorrow, and it was my last run where i reached my first goal so looking forward to getting out. It's really quite addictive isn't it !
  • as a beginner its nice to see a thread like this where everyone is really encouraging each other, found that sometimes people are a bit rude on some threads and it started putting me off posting anything. congratulations everyone for heading out and starting a journey for the new year......i only started yesterday and i'm aching lol!! today is a scheduled rest day then it back out on it tomorrow and thursday...hurts thinking about it.