Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Rosie

Comments

• Hey Rosie

Good effort! Have been watching the XC races today, too - and thought of you. image 

Thanks for your email - I'll have a proper look at it after tomorrow - I have a running workshop all day and just getting prepared for it now. Cheers, Sam

• Spoons. wrote (see)
    Thanks Ruth. What do you suggest I do with all these tins of chocolate I have left over from xmas? Eat them all quickly to get them out the way or spread them out over the month? image
    If you are happy with your body weight and the chocolates are not replacing good foods then enjoy them little and often. If not give them away!
  • mcs wrote (see)
    Ruth.......in my first marathon i hit the wall at about twenty miles despite taking gels every fifty mins and having done reasonable well in training and taking on water. Do you have any suggestions. I am six foot two, slim build and twelve stone. I eat fairly regularly in daily life and healthy too, I have the Coeliac condition. Think I might need to eat something solid in the third hour of the marathon........any thoughts......? Thanks in advance.

mcs

Have you tried carb loading properly before race? Also have you tried taking a gel every 30-35minutes?

• Hi Ruth! Great to see you on here.

Diet is a problem area for me, I seem to be very bad at making time to eat and on reflection a large proprtion of my calorific intake comes from sports drinks consumed on the go.. I know all the refined sugar isn't ideal but if I stop them I lose weight (wouldn't hurt to lose a bit, but my BMI isn't over, so I don't need to lose loads, and when I stopped them a few years ago I did get underweight and fatigued quite quickly). Any ideas on a better way to go about things? I often start the day ok, but then as the day goes on it goes to pieces.. Thanks!

Rosie. Lets start at the beginning! Would you be happy with putting up on this thread  a food diary for the next 3-4 days alongside time you eat the foods/fluids and roughly what portion these foods/fluids are and what time you do your running ? You can email this to me or put on thread?
    Ruth

• Carbo loading properly was not something I did scientifically, weight etc, need to focus on that more for next race in may. I just grazed all Friday, Saturday and felt good and I ate healthy stuff to. Any tips for carbo loading then thanks very much?
  • Hi Ruth. No probs, will do!

I may email it as I suspect it will be fairly horrific and I don't want to scare anyone browsing on here in an unprepared state.. Or I'll post it with content warnings. Would appreciate any advice on the thread though!

I'm not quite sure how I got to my thirties subsisting almost entirely on high-calorie drinks, bananas and cereal, imageimage but it is a sorry state of affairs, so starting at the beginning sounds ideal.. image 

• Hi Rosie - well done on your run - sounds amazing to me! Cross country, hilly and windy with those times you are amazing!

Pancake flat and 10 min miles for me!

Have alook at my thread as I had an awful time with an Alsation - your advice as a dog owner truely appreciated! Still shaken up by it all really!image Not hurt but very frightened - especially as they clearly had no control of their animal!

• Thanks Rosie! Great run today - 9th - nice one!

smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Shame we're so far away now - it was Rascal's first ever race last year- she spent most of it snuggled inside my duvet jacket as she was only 4 months old...

Right bed time for us!

• Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

Thanks Rosie! Great run today - 9th - nice one!

Shame we're so far away now - it was Rascal's first ever race last year- she spent most of it snuggled inside my duvet jacket as she was only 4 months old...

Right bed time for us!

I think my gender position was 10th in that race 2009. Hmmm. that plateau thing again!!

Aw, I wish I'd known Rascal was there last year. Though I'd have had a hard time not stealing her at 4mths old! I do have a problem with puppies..especially absurdly cute ones....

• EmmaC wrote (see)

Hi Rosie - well done on your run - sounds amazing to me! Cross country, hilly and windy with those times you are amazing!

Pancake flat and 10 min miles for me!

Have alook at my thread as I had an awful time with an Alsation - your advice as a dog owner truely appreciated! Still shaken up by it all really!image Not hurt but very frightened - especially as they clearly had no control of their animal!

Hey Emma, really sorry to hear about the dog. I've only just seen your message here but already replied three times (sorry, it's a dog-thing, I can't help myself) to your message on your thread as was so cross with the people who let their dogs behave like that. Wish I lived closer and there was more I could do practically to help..
  • Have you had your porridge for breakfast with optional honey, raisins and nuts too?
    Have a good day and eat well after the long one!
  • Rosie - well done in the GWR yesterday, you must be pleased - did you meet Simon P and his girlfriend?

Hope you did a good relaxed pace LR today and that you had a good solid meal afterwards - we are all concerned that you are not getting enough of a healthy balanced diet.

Dog sitting this week - these Kong feeders are great fun aren't they?  Make him work a bit for his food!!

• Oscarr, yes, was great to see Simon P and his girlfriend before the start. They both got cracking times as well by the sound of things.

Glad you're enjoying the delights of kongs! What are you putting in them? My old boy got extremely adept at  them after a while so I used to mash stuff up then freeze the kong with it in so it took at least half an hour for the contents to defrost properly and slowed him getting them out! How long are you dog sitting for? Does the dog come running with you? 

No need to worry about me!, but will be great to get some advice on nutrition.

11M easy today was lovely. Was somewhat undulating (did a weird route encompassing Braid Hills, Arthur's Seat and Carlton Hill, as legs were feeling great (this resting business might not be so bad after all!!) and fancied a bit of a hill) but took it pretty slow. Found it hard to stop after 11M though, it was one of those days when could have quite easily gone exploring (does anyone else here do that - go out for a run and end up exploring somewhere new and coming back 2 hours later than you meant to?), but managed to keep to the plan...just! Don't have pace info as laptop adaptor cable experienced a slight run in with teething puppy this morning (my fault entirely for carelessness) and so can't download anything from garmin until new cable arrives (am posting this from my phone!). Puppy is unscathed though image 

• Rosie - dog sitting for one week - my son left us a bag of Burns food pellets which go great in the Kong and the right size for the whole, takes the dog about 5 mins to get through a cup full.  He's a great softy and is loving the attention - they decided to go for a rescue home dog so he is 7 year old and came from a dubious treating family for 6 years followed by 1 year in the rescue home - it's great to see how the dog has reacted to a loving environment and my son and his wife feel so proud with what they are doing with him even though it has not been easy at times due to his past.

Son and I have taken dog for a 5 mile run in the past but without son here I dared not let him off the lead - don't fancy explaining to him why the dog's lost !!

Goog LSR yesterday, well done.

• How did you fill up your rest day Rosie? Hope it wasn't with a 3-4 hour bike ride!!image
  • Nice 5K Rosie. that last mile is speedy. You need to get yourself down to a flat course to see what you can really do.
  • I agree with Weeble... when is it you're going to try the parkrun? Would love to see your flat time 5km result.

And have you got a race sorted for week 4 (5 mile or 10k?)

I've now had a look at all your pace data and am making the following adjustments:

Slow 9-9.15 (from 9.15-9.30)
    Easy 8.45-9 (from 9-9.15)
    Steady 7.45-8.15 (from 8-8.15)
    Brisk 7.20-7.40 (from 7.30-7.40)
    'Fast' for reps of over 1 mile  6.55 to 7.05 per mile (from 7). For reps that are 800 or shorter, I am going to give you specific times to aim for. Eg. For 800s, coming up in week 4, 3mins20secs per 800. (ie. 6.40 pace)

The other change I want to this week's schedule I want to make is to change your 13 M easy to a slow start, fast finish' run  so start at easy pace and then speed up to steady pace for last 5 miles.

If you PROMISE to stick to these paces in training (don't go quicker than suggested and conversely let me know if they feel too quick) then I will introduce 2 double days a week (ie. where you do a second session) to introduce a bit more of your much-missed mileage. These will be easy runs.

I will be particularly interested to hear how the long run goes with the faster finish as this is the most specific thing to your marathon goal.

Keep me posted! Btw, I'm coming up to Edinburgh this weekend. Not sure how busy we'll be, as visiting the inlaws image but may be a chance to meet up. Cheers, Sam

• Five miles in lunch break and now just settling down to jacket spuds and houmous hope you are eating properly??????

Good running keep behaving yourself and listening and obeying.imageSorry I am a dad with daughters x three so know what you girls are like!!

• Gazelle!! I wish wrote (see)
    How did you fill up your rest day Rosie? Hope it wasn't with a 3-4 hour bike ride!!image

Wow, that's me busted image

To be fair it was only 2 hours on the bike, but you're close enough to make me start wondering if you have spies.

In the interest of full disclosure there was also a 45min very easy jog. I hadn't planned it but I needed to get somewhere and it was the method of transport of choice.

• oscarr wrote (see)

Rosie - dog sitting for one week - my son left us a bag of Burns food pellets which go great in the Kong and the right size for the whole, takes the dog about 5 mins to get through a cup full.  He's a great softy and is loving the attention - they decided to go for a rescue home dog so he is 7 year old and came from a dubious treating family for 6 years followed by 1 year in the rescue home - it's great to see how the dog has reacted to a loving environment and my son and his wife feel so proud with what they are doing with him even though it has not been easy at times due to his past.

Son and I have taken dog for a 5 mile run in the past but without son here I dared not let him off the lead - don't fancy explaining to him why the dog's lost !!

Goog LSR yesterday, well done.

I know what you mean about being scared of losing them! I dogsit a lot and it terrifies me!

Sounds like they've done really well with him, a year is a long time in a rescue home for a dog to recover from. It's really nice to know he has good owners now. Hope your training is going well. When does your plan for May start?

• mcs wrote (see)

Five miles in lunch break and now just settling down to jacket spuds and houmous hope you are eating properly??????

Good running keep behaving yourself and listening and obeying.imageSorry I am a dad with daughters x three so know what you girls are like!!

You are a good example with the diet thing mcs!. I'm doing this food diary thing the next few days and compared to yours it's not looking good, and that's with knowing I'm being monitored... I did actually cook something last night but then got distracted and forgot about it! image (After the cooking devices were switched off fortunately, but not before it was long-cold, and once again I resorted to 2am cereal.) I am ridiculously easily distracted from stuff that doesn't motivate me much.. More words needed with my brain I think. Am looking forward to getting some tips to get me started

• Weeble. wrote (see)
    Nice 5K Rosie. that last mile is speedy. You need to get yourself down to a flat course to see what you can really do.
    Thanks Weeble. The last mile was mostly downhill, but 1mile from the finish was also the point when it hit me I'd be posting my result on here, and that was quite a motivation! You guys really do help! image Wished at the finish I'd though of that a little earlier. Mental note made for next time..
  • SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

I agree with Weeble... when is it you're going to try the parkrun? Would love to see your flat time 5km result.

And have you got a race sorted for week 4 (5 mile or 10k?)

I've now had a look at all your pace data and am making the following adjustments:

Slow 9-9.15 (from 9.15-9.30)
    Easy 8.45-9 (from 9-9.15)
    Steady 7.45-8.15 (from 8-8.15)
    Brisk 7.20-7.40 (from 7.30-7.40)
    'Fast' for reps of over 1 mile  6.55 to 7.05 per mile (from 7). For reps that are 800 or shorter, I am going to give you specific times to aim for. Eg. For 800s, coming up in week 4, 3mins20secs per 800. (ie. 6.40 pace)

The other change I want to this week's schedule I want to make is to change your 13 M easy to a slow start, fast finish' run  so start at easy pace and then speed up to steady pace for last 5 miles.

If you PROMISE to stick to these paces in training (don't go quicker than suggested and conversely let me know if they feel too quick) then I will introduce 2 double days a week (ie. where you do a second session) to introduce a bit more of your much-missed mileage. These will be easy runs.

I will be particularly interested to hear how the long run goes with the faster finish as this is the most specific thing to your marathon goal.

Keep me posted! Btw, I'm coming up to Edinburgh this weekend. Not sure how busy we'll be, as visiting the inlaws image but may be a chance to meet up. Cheers, Sam

Hehe! Loving this. Extra runs as incentive! Works for me!

Updated paces look great. Looking forward to 13M with faster finish on Sunday.

Haven't found a local-enough race for week 4 yet - if anyone round here has any ideas please let me know! I could do a timed 10K myself if not(?)..but guess a race would be better if I can find one?

Am thinking of trying to do the parkrun this Saturday. Could I replace 4M easy with that?

Would be great to say Hi this weekend if you do have free time, just give me a shout. Hope you have a fab weekend anyway..

• So, to today, Week 3, Day 2.

*WITH UPDATED PACES* [woohoo!]

The plan says:

Tue: 7M of 1M jog, then 4 x 1M (or 7 mins) fast, with 400m (3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

After my *entirely accidental, not in any way deliberate* mistake with doing a 7M warm up on this session last week, I'm determined to try harder to get this one right. 7M total..

Had hoped to get out this morning but it's been a crazy day, and need to use the free-ish hour I have now in the last of the light to get puppy walked again to avoid further expensive computer-related destruction, so it looks like it might be a gym session again, as previous experience has taught me that there is a strong positive correlation between fast stuff, darkness and me needing sutures and I'm simply too busy to fit in an A&E trip this evening. Will report once complete.

• Rosie A wrote (see)

Sounds like they've done really well with him, a year is a long time in a rescue home for a dog to recover from. It's really nice to know he has good owners now. Hope your training is going well. When does your plan for May start?

Spring marathon is Mar of the North in Sunderland on may 6th so 16 weeks back from that means starts next Monday, 3 weeks after yours.  I have a 2 week holiday in weeks 5 and 6 on a dive boat in the Indian ocean (no running at all) so have had to plan things a bit differently e.g. Watford half on Feb 5th one week before i go.  Doing a lot of strength work at moment (exercises/hills/XC) and about 35 miles a week so starting with a good level of fitness.  Target for me is sub 4hr.  

Thinking about it we should put you on a boat in the middle of the ocean every Friday for your Compulsory NoRun Day !!  Tee hee....imageimage 

• Rosie - remind when week 4 is...would the Buchlyvie 10k be an option ??? It's on Jan 21st

• Fraser, that looks perfect, thanks!!! I've just entered image

Sam, it's on the 21st (Sat), should I just switch the Saturday and Sunday sessions that week?

• oscarr wrote

Thinking about it we should put you on a boat in the middle of the ocean every Friday for your Compulsory NoRun Day !!  Tee hee....imageimage 

Wow, that sounds amazing, am suitably jealous.

That would definitely work for no running days! image

• Rosie - excellent. I'll be there too
  • Hurray - looks like you're sorted then! 

Think Sam has you sussed now - you'll not be getting away with anymore naughtiness LOL! Besides mcs knows all the tricks! Can I come on the Friday boat trip oscarr suggested? Sounds lovely!

Know what you mean about eating being a bit of a hassle some days - with Ben away I am really feeling like I have to make an effort!  When he's here I just make evening meals on autopilot! Thank goodness for my juices and shakes - at least I'm getting my vitamins and minerals - not sure the rest of my calories should be coming from cheese, chocolate, peanut butter and mince pies though (I am exaggerating a little - but you get my drift!) Might try the food diary myself - kick myself up the butt along with ya!