Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• Emma - you really have had your challenges!  Can't help wiht the dog situation as not a dog owner (although I've got one sleeping on my foot as I write - we are dog sitting for my son and his wife while they are on holiday for a week - when we walk him he is always on the lead cos we are scared of losing him !!)

Your long run time and splits are great and I hope this now banishes the memory of your earlier run when you doubted the ability to keep a pace up for a long time - your fitness is obviously improving which is great news.

• Food diary for Saturday!

Breakfast: large bowl of special K with 1% milk, teas spoon of sugar, cup of coffee with one sugar.

Ten mile run

Lunch: 3 slices of low GI toast (lots nuts/seeeds in it) with peanut butter. I choc biscuit!

Snack: 5 doritos, massive coffe in the park with 3 sugars!

Dinner: smoked haddock (poached in milk), cauliflower cheese, green beans (lots), broccoli and 2 small roasted potatos (took real restraint not to hoover dowm my usual 8-10!). 3 choc chip cookies!

Usually there would be more fuit but next delivery of food and Tuesday and it all gets a bit ropey by this stage in the week!

• Ouch hope you ok today...... My oh has been bitten twice once by a Doberman on the backside it was sadly put down as the owner had no control over it. It's the owners who really need training...........she keeps running though now usually with sis in law or daughters.
    Happy Sunday's all.
  • oscarr wrote (see)

Emma - you really have had your challenges!  Can't help wiht the dog situation as not a dog owner (although I've got one sleeping on my foot as I write - we are dog sitting for my son and his wife while they are on holiday for a week - when we walk him he is always on the lead cos we are scared of losing him !!)

Your long run time and splits are great and I hope this now banishes the memory of your earlier run when you doubted the ability to keep a pace up for a long time - your fitness is obviously improving which is great news.

Thanks Oscarr - I was pleasantly surprised that I felt ok. Not having a gyppy tummy for once was v helpful too! In fact I felt slightly more comfortabe running a touch faster! Can my fitness be improving after only 2 weeks?

How is your training going?

• mcs wrote (see)
    Ouch hope you ok today...... My oh has been bitten twice once by a Doberman on the backside it was sadly put down as the owner had no control over it. It's the owners who really need training...........she keeps running though now usually with sis in law or daughters. Happy Sunday's all.

My God your poor OH! I think I'd have been put off for life!

I think that is the plan - always run with other people if going in to countryside as there will be doggies not on leads there!

Have a good Sunday - are you going out or have you done your LSR?

• Emma - sorry to see you had such a bad time with that German Shepherd. We've got three of them and - paradoxically inspite of their reputation - they are usually lovely docile things which don't represent any sort of threat to you. Of course that's no use to you when you encounter one who's daft owners haven't sorted the dog out. If they go into "guarding mode" and perceive their role is to protect their owner when they are adolescents it's very hard to switch them out of that mindset as they get bigger and stronger and more intimidating.

Clearly Rosie knows alot more about behavioural stuff then me but I'd really echo her advice that the best thing you can do if you do have an encounter with one that goes badly is to stand still, put your arms by your side or cross them in front of your body, try not to shout or scream, look away and do your best to stay calm. You're far less likely to get nipped if you can do that than if you continue to escalate the dog's aroused state by making lots of noise or putting your hands down to try and keep him off. Not easy at all if you're scared in the first place

Do you know anyone who has a guarding breed that you trust and could spend some time with in a controlled environment to build up your confidence? You obviously like dogs fundamentally and that might help alot. Good luck !

• Hi Emma- another one to say that I feel much the same about dogs, and it's getting worse for me, I'm not as bad as you, I don't think, but there are a couple of places I now avoid on my runs due to bad experienes with dogs- I usually follow the advice given above - stand still, arms up across chest to protect my self, and say to the owners- "I'm scared of dogs, get it away from me", then slowly walk past, without getting between dog and owner. I've never been bitten, and I'm nervous even around mid- sized dogs- pain in the a$$, really.
  • Guys thank you so much for your support - it means a lot!

Tricia  - it is a massive pain as I feel like I am being held hostage to the fear and poor dog handling! I get cross because the small minority of owners who can't control their dogs stop me being able to do what I want with my life and they reflect poorly on so many excellent and considerate dog owners! Still not going to run on my own!image You're not based in Sussex are you - thinking could be of practical support on training runs!image

Fraser - Thank you for advice (I still can't run on my own), I shall try to put it in to practice and act a bit tougher! As you say - its the owners not the dogs. I do make judgment calls based on how the owners are behaving with their dogs - for example large dog on the same path yesterday but running with two chaps not on the lead... but it was totally in their control and quite frankly being well exercised! I think I should perhaps try walking with my friend and her chocolate retriever? It would be a start?

• Hello all

Emma - I can empathise, I have issues with dogs too. A couple of years ago a massive wolf hound bounded towards me. owner said the usual about it being a lovely dog etc....dog ripped the arm of my running jacket with its teeth. Owner didn't say a word! I do ru on my own but am very careful if I see a dog off the lead! I hope you make progress with this.

Ruth - thanks for the advice, I think my problem may be portion sizes...trying very hard to cut down!

I set off for 10 miles this morning and ended up doing 11.5 after a detour to find a loo!

• My god MWW - you are so brave!
  • Emma - sorry to hear about the dog.  I seem to be lucky round here with owners who bring the dog in close to them and move off or to the side of the path.  My only close call so far (touchwood) has been when I didn't realise a dog was on one of those long leads and was only saved from a fall by the owner reeling it in!

I'm surprised to hear you have excess body fat at that weight and height.  I'm around 5 foot 4 (or possibly just under), tend to weigh between 9 st 4 and 9 st 7 and couldn't afford to lose much more.

• USB - Thank you! Iwas GUTTED whe they said I had above 'normal' body fat! 5'6" (I think closer to 5'7") and about 9 1/2 stone... I was absolutely chuffed at that weight. I've been trying to loose weight for some time and its been a slow and frustrating process.

I'm by no means fashionably thin and never will be. Legs are too chunky and bit of a JLo bum but think I'm probably right in the healthy range as far a docs would be concerned! Felt really disappointed - I run 3 times a week, am relatively careful about what I eat and drink about 1/2 a unit of alcohol a week. Seems unfair that I am told I am a fatty!

It would be interesting to see if my local gym could do a body fat test in a months time to see if I have changed by changing my running and by doing the core work.

So know what you mean by tose windy leads - I'm always terrified that I'll get trapped in them and do a comedy Lee Evan style fall! Really don't want sprained ankle, wrist or worse!

Going to have a high GI but very yummy risotto tonight! Opps - don't tell anyone!

• EmmaC wrote (see)

Thanks Oscarr - I was pleasantly surprised that I felt ok. Not having a gyppy tummy for once was v helpful too! In fact I felt slightly more comfortabe running a touch faster! Can my fitness be improving after only 2 weeks?

How is your training going?

Yes, your fitness can improve in 2 weeks if it's gradual and well planned which yours has been so well done.

My training at the moment is a month concentrating on core and upper leg strength (to help the last few miles of the marathon) so plenty of hills, exercises and XC races.  Did our club league XC interclub race this morning - met Sleepy Bear and her hubby again who also run in these events (SB hubby wins them by a mile !!)  Great to talk about the forums and how much we are both enjoying them.

Looking forward to the Watford Half which is only 4 weeks away now.

• Apparently my BMI is 21 1/2 which is right in middle of normal! Still feeling a little guilty about my impending dinner! Shall make sure I work hard this week!

Food diary for Sunday 8th:

Breakfast: Special K (largish bowl), 1 % milk and teaspoon sugar

Lunch: Baked beans, 1 slice toast, 1 x bacon medallion (not streaky bit) grilled, 5 slices of fried new potato, 1 small slice of Dundee cake and 1 banana

Snack:  1 x Granola bar (97 Kcals, 5.7g sug, 3.4g fat) Plus several cups of tea - but mainly earl grey with no sugar.

Dinner: Not made yet but a fairly healthy sized (ie large) portion of risotto containing  - chicken breast, celery, mushrooms, onion, corgette, white wine, stock, small amount of cheese and seasoning. Prob a low fat yog for pudding!

snacks .... lets see how many choc biscuitsimage

• How lovely to meet up with her again! Did you know her before bootcamp?

How funny if you had both met at events and knew you were going to bootcamp but couldn't tell each other!image

Oh goody - hopefully I am getting fitter. Still couldn't manage xc I don't think! Well done you!

• Emma - I was pretty much this weight when I joined my running club several years ago.  Every so often though I get comments about having slimmed down/lost weight so I think the idea of being more toned without lising anything is probably true.

We've still got Christmas food hanging around so I am having to ration myself image

• Hey Emma - nope we didn't know each other before - thankfully in a way or that scenario would have been very odd.  Our xc league is a really friendly affair - not scary at all - I'll really miss it when we move again in March.  Still I'm sure I'll find another one in Lincolnshire for next autumn/winter!

Any risotto left? >>holds out plate<<

p.s. how did they do your body fat test - did they use calipers or a stand-on-weighing-scale- type-electrical-current-test?  If the latter - they can be affected by hydration levels so are not always that accurate!

• Risotto all gone I am afraid Sleepy Bear! It was rather yummy and I've had a cuppa and two choc chip cookies too! Oopsie.

My body fat was done with the electrodes on foot and hand - I know hydration levels can affect them. But to be too fat - as in beyond normal range was so upsetting! Calipers are more accurate aren't they?

I think probably best to put it out of my mind and just go on how my clothes fit me!image

Where are you moving from and too? Why are you moving? Hope its a good thing!

• Booo! LOL I'm sure I'll cope! Just this once... I love risotto!

Don't let the BF thing get to you - just think of all the LSRs you've got coming up - they'll take care of anything spare.  Imagine all those "normal" people sat at home on the sofa - hate to think what their readings are. 

We're moving from Bucks to just outside Lincoln - Ben's office is relocating and yip - I don't mind - we'll be nearer friends and family. C'est la vie!

smilies/smile_smiley.gif

(p.s will be interesting to see what Ruth makes of your eating. It looks pretty good to me and very similar to my average day except I have a freshly extracted fruit/veg juice every day.  I followed Anita Bean's menus for my mara training - I practically had to eat every hour on the hour to get everything down - won't be doing that again I don't think - it's just not practical though it did leave me with a rather healthy yoghurt and fruit habit! And I surprised myself that I could eat 3 shredded wheat! Still lost weight even after all my careful calculations to stay the same and got told I looked like I had a lollipop head - not a good look! Thankfully I've put some back on since then!)
  • I'll never end up a lolipop head - for one I've got a small head and secondly rather too much 'junk in my trunk' as the americans would say!

I am trying to eat better but have a terribly sweet tooth!

Have started eating healthy yoghurt and like fruit but... can't eat it before a run!image

• Emma, love the booty! It will propel you through Paris like a well-oiled machine!

Can't believe your BF came out that high, I find if people carry some fat around their legs the reading tends to be higher, at least on the bodyfat scales. Calipers would definitely be more accurate as you'd get a better idea of distribution (if you really want to go in-depth!). Had mine done the other day and it wasn't pretty! Am sure your shape will change with the program you're doing, gym should be able to do a bodyMOT for you if they know their stuff.

Sorry to read about the doggie encounter too- you're so strong though, you've definitely got the mental willpower to find another way around/manage it.

I have a thesis due at the end of this month so am on the student end of panic stations. Thankfully managed a 3k last night with no pain on the knee so am attempting a 3miler on Thurs. Slowly slowly.

Have a fab week! x
  • Well done on the run Nicole! Good luck with your thesis ... I remember those days!image

I will have to manage the runs - just need to invest armour! I think the runs are fine so long as we are more on country roads than bridle paths. We just used that route as it was flat and though would help with maintaining 10 min miles - which it did. Think I may have to choose slightly hillier routes that stick to thr roads and accept that they might be slightly slower.

Thanks for the PMA re body fat! I haven't got much to loose around my top half and legs are just a tad sturdy! Need to get the old glutes going as they will be my ticket for a good race in Paris!image

Lovely to hear from you!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to know what percentage of the UK population is "over-fat" as opposed to overweight. The lean percentage for women is something around 15%-17%, I believe (no doubt Sam will be able to correct me), and it's even lower for men (about 12%), so it's easy to see why fairly fit people can still be too fat.

I have a "healthy" BMI (albeit only just), but I don't need bodyfat scales to know I'm carrying way too much fat around the middle. So, I'm working on reducing my waist size.

Both the electrical impedance tests and calliper methods are only approximations. I've read that hydrostatic weighing and CT scans give the most accurate measurements and fat distribution, but these methods aren't available to mere mortals.

I wouldn't worry about the reading, but use it to see a trend when the figure starts improving. This will be an extra motivator.

I don't suppose there's any danger of you appearing on "The Biggest Loser" next year, except as maybe the trainer.
  • Thanks Tenjiso - I will try to be more positive. How my clothes fit and how I feel the most important!

Did  a little trot around roads for 5 miles - felt so much better at the end than at the beginning. Practiced trying to run at marathon pace ... bit all over with my splits. However running at sub 10's seem's to be much easier... maybe I am actually getting slightly fitter. Swapped fridays session with Monday - will cross train and strength train on Friday.

Once I get back and have a shower I feel so much better that I feel like going out for a run again!- get very envious when I see people running as I drive to work!

Splits for tonight: 9:57, 10:16, 10:36, 9:48, 9:18

Food for today:

Breakfast - large bowls of special K with 1% milk and teaspoon of sugar

Snack: Granola bar (184 kcal)

Lunch - Banana, 3 slices of rye bread toasted with cottage cheese, low fat strawberry yoghurt, go ahead fruit slice biscuits (150 kcals)

Snack -  banana

Dinner - 3 bean chilli - with basmati rice, chedder cheese, 1/2 fat creme fraiche (about 2 teaspoons)

3 chocci biscuits - ooopsie!

• Hello Emma,

Well you've been having a right old time - what a nightmare. Like others who have posted here, I am a dog owner myself but am still pretty wary/scared of some other dogs, especially big ones - and they can really put the dampeners on a run. I do feel for you.  But sounds as if you're already finding proactive strategies to deal with it.

And as for the BF reading? Forgedaboutit!! As someone else pointed out, bioelectrical impedance methods can be inaccurate (and vary especially for women according to time of month as this affects level of water in the body) - and I hardly know anyone (again, women especially) who fits into the 'normal' category. I think I am literally on the last percentage taht is considered 'normal' and I'm not exactly a heffer!!image

Going back a few posts (!) - about my suggested rejig of week 4. I was thinking you could do the 'sandwich run' on the Thursday morning, rather than evening. Maybe even on the t'mill, since there's some specific pace work in there?

Great job on the long run. Regarding gels/drinks, my advice would be that once you get past 90-120 minutes , you might want to consider trying them. Personally, I don't use gels but I do use sports drinks (blackcurrant gatorade is my favourite as not too sickly sweet) for long runs and in races. And the odd jelly baby! Would be interested to hear what Ruth says.

• Hello all

Emma - I'm enjoying reading your daily menu, sounds healthy to me! I am focussing on portion sizes at the moment!

I did a 5 miles run this morning including some speedwork, enjoyed it but it was hard work!

• Evening all - 'Sanwich' run tonight (1 mile jog, 4m @ 1/2 marathon pace, 1 mile jog):

11:05, 8:57,  8:47,  8:37,  8:44, 10:56

Felt a little tired but enjoyed run!

Food for the day ...

Breakfast: Special K with 1 tsp sugar

Snack: 'Be good to yourself' biscuits - 150Kcal

Lunch: 2 1/2 slices rye bread toasted with cottage cheese, granola bar (194 KCal), 1 banana, low fat strawberry yoghurt.

Snack: Banana and 5 doritos!

Dinner: 1/2 stonebaked pizza and salad! so far .....

• Keep at it Emma you are getting fitter by the sounds of it. I have lost weight over the last three weeks due to doing core exercises and moving what seems like hundreds of boxes every day as I am moving offices.........joy!!

Up to 12 miles for this week so far, with a fartlek run to work this morning.  New trainers are out of the box and the schedule is rolling. Three pairs bought on Sunday for OH and daughter no 2...... Have a good day. 26th Wedding anniversary for me, hope the flowers arrive!!

Calendar very appropriate today!!!

Creaking wagons last the longest!!

• mcs - happy anniversary - we're a little further ahead at 32 yrs and still counting!

• Happy Anniversay mcs and Mrs mcs!image