Asics Cumulus 13 - Same Sole as Nimbus 12?

I had Cumulus 11 and Cumulus 12 both of which were brilliant - no injuries or blisters in over 1200 miles. In between I had a pair of Nimbus 12s which were a disaster - along with many other people I got twisted and numb toes and a sore/numb sole of the foot - binned them after 60 miles.

In need of new shoes I have just got some Cumulus 13 and they seem to have a similarly reinforced sole to the Nimbus and so I'm really suspicious that they will cause the same problems.

Before I wear them outside can anyone confirm my fears, or put my mind at rest. Any views would be much appreciated.

(I do around 30 miles per week and will train for and run a marathon on spring in them).

Comments

• I have just bought a set to use, not run very far in them as yet and not used Asics before. Also about to get a new set of orthotics for the first time so they will be inserted too...

Will see..

Brian.
  • I know what you mean. I tried some Nimbus 12s for a change and hated them for much the same reasons. Went back to Cumulus and have had my 13s for a couple of weeks. Did 10 miles on them last night and they were bliss. Not had any issues at all; so far so good.
  • That's good feedback Sebastian thanks, it's just what I was looking for from someone who suffered in Nimbus but has found the new Cumulus OK.

Think I'll stick with them - I have a week of short runs ahead so I'll give them a try over 5 or 6 miles.
  • I've had the numb toe issue too. Have just bought a pair of Adidas Supernova Glide after trying 8 different styles in the running shop. After describing the numb toes, the salesman didn't give me any Asics to try. Hope the Adidas work!
  • Did 7 slow miles in hem today. They will take some getting used to but they are not as bad as the Nimbus - hopefully its just a matter of adjusting to new shoes.
  • I've done 30 miles in them now, longest run was 7 miles. They make my right sole fairly sore as i can feel the support ridge running lengthways under my foot.

They're not quite as bad as the Nimbus were - I could possibly do double figures in them - hope fully they may settle down a bit.

So long runs in the old comfortable Cumulus 12s for the forseeable and save Nike Pegasus for the races.

It looks like I'll have to stick with Pegasus for future purchases - but they're a bit spongy!!
  • You can still buy Cumulus 12s new on eBay - cheaper than the 13s too!
  • Thanks - I'll have a look. The good news (for me) in all this is that they were only £45 in the JJB Christmas sale! Cumulus 12 were only £42 but nowhere had my size (8) in the North West.