Do oposites atract?

I just though this is quite funny, so I would share it here.

Am I the only one who most of the time ends up with someone who is not into sports/fitness/exercise at all?

I think is ironic the way I wish for someone a bit like me, who is into running and sports, so we can share that together…………………….but I end up with a man who is not in to sports or athletic at all!

Sometimes is comical, because I am quite sportive and go running with a running club where there are men, then I do martial arts, in the studio there are men too, and the gym is my second home…………ahhhh, and I do country walking and hiking, trekking holidays often………………………so you would think that logically I would meet a man who is sportive……………well, guess what!!!

I met someone a few months ago and same thing as usual: he is not into practising sports. No, he is not overweight or lazy; he looks nice, and is slim and attractive,

But I can’t help thinking how ironic it is that me spending so much time in a sportive environment I met someone by chance in a non sportive environment at all (a shop in a shopping centre)…………………..

One day, for a joke, I suggested he came with me for a run………he looked scared.

Does anyone else is in the same situation?

I mean, someone else married or engaged to someone who is not athletic or sportive at all?

And does your husband/wife resent the time you spend training for marathon or races?

Comments

• When I met my gf, she was a runner, a regular one at that and I was exactly like your OH only not slim!

I used to think she was mad for going out for a run, literally mad. And then last year something clicked in me and I turned into one of those mad runners I so despaired of. We've been together 4 years (with a 6 month or so break).

I think it is healthy to have separate interests as well as common ones...although since I have been running we are getting on so much better - also we no longer live together...amazing what a night alone does occasionally!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Getting on better, but no longer live together, and had a 6month break?

Sounds an interesting roller coaster so far! As long as the running doesn't suffer image
  • Yes opposite do attract ..My wife is intelligent....image

Both Me and my Wife run ..but always apart, even in the same race,we kiss each other and go our seperate ways.I came into running after my Wife wanted to run her first Half i said i would do it too (after her laughter stopped) we signed up and not looked back since.

I think all great relationships (and by that I mean the ones that last 20 + years) are a mixture joint and seperate interests (Believe me i cannot stand shoes image) and the time and understanding we give each other to persue them.

• My wife and I have been together for 12 years when we first met  i was running hundreds of miles each week (exageration) was quite a good standard runner and she had no interest -  I gave up when we married and only started again on the 31 December 2010 - mainly to lose the 3 stone that had built up over the proceeding 10 years or so - but have got back into it and although she has weight issues following the birth of our son 8 years ago and she can see that I have lost over the past 12 months I still can't get her interested in any form of sporting activity we could do together image.

But we are together and have a brilliant little boy so.....................................

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Getting on better, but no longer live together, and had a 6month break? Sounds an interesting roller coaster so far! As long as the running doesn't suffer image

I know, it doesn't sound like the most "stable" of relationships but bizarrely it is the most solid and stable I have ever been. We lived together for almost 3 years but when we "broke up" and I moved out it was either that or lose the friendship that started 4 years before we got together. 

We have run together twice since I started running....first time I nearly died, second time was much better but she is far more advanced that I am distance, speed and form wise so left me flagging that last stretch! We have decided it is most definitely a solo thing, we train separately and we'll race together but apart in all our races this year.

The living apart thing....at times I miss living together but we have discussed it and it shows that the relationship was stifling both of us...we now know ourselves better, appreciate the other far more and cherish our time together...something we took for granted before.  We each have our own set of friends and interests outside of running but running has brought us closer together. For definite.

• I initially took up running to get some time away from my girlfriend (we're no longer together).

I think it's good to share some interests with your partner, but you need a bit of space and some time apart every now and then.

• Yes, exactly. All we need to have something of our own. A bit of space,

I suppose as it has been said earlier is a mixture of having comon interests and also separate ones.

I hope i can achieve that,

From a comical point of view i think he (my fiance) does not realise the extend and importance of my running. I think he's under the impression i just go for a little jog now and then...........................i mentioned something about marathon but he did not get it........................

ahhh, well. He'll see for himself when the time comes...................

he looked a bit surprised when this wedding thing came up and i took out my calendar and asked if we could plan it around my marathon (may) and myt trekking/mountanering trips (april and august).........................was i supposed to be a bit more romantic?........sorry..............

The think is that is you are with someone too similar to you, the relationship may end up as a competition,

• Do opposites atract?

Well I'm short, good looking and very intelligent... You should meet my wife

• I am currently single but have been dating. The previous girl I dated was really into running and exercise... great, I thought. Apart from her constant talking about abs, who had abs, who's abs she liked and the fact that I didn't have, you got it, abs.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    IndieRun wrote (see)
    I am currently single but have been dating. The previous girl I dated was really into running and exercise... great,  I thought. Apart from her constant talking about abs, who had abs, who's abs she liked and the fact that I didn't have, you got it, abs.

I remember a similar ex....truly body obsessed...a gym type.

Will always remember her saying body wise I didn't have "any definition whatsoever"

I just think, frig me...if I don't as a very slim in shape runner, I'd hate to be 90% of the country image