Tridecaphobia, is it rational?

Co-incidenatlly a number of adverse events/occurences have taken place throughout my life on Friday the 13th, more so than any other day/date combination. I don't think I'm tridecaphobic but I do worry about what's going on on that day/date? Are you?

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I passed my English 'O' level exam, and got a grade A, on Friday 13th.

• If you're a heretic and a subject of the Spanish inquisition, then you've probably got cause to worry. But I can't get too het up about it. Friday's are usually one of my better days - finish early on Fridays. image
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I've not had too many issues... but I know for my boss Friday 13th is considered a lucky day for her (marriage, birth, promotion).
  • Completely irrational.  I'm sure that any pattern you have TC is co-incidental or that you have become focused on that and your mind has selected to not count the many other negative things that have happened to you on other days.

There are patterns in dates of course, but there is logic and evidence behind them, such as the day in the year when there is the most traffic on the roads etc.  But to believe that Friday the 13th is a day for doom and disaster if simply ridiculous.

• nope. My niece was born on the 13th.
  • Tridecaphobia sounds like something appropriate fopr the pirates, at least those deluded ones who've signed up to do the IM deca triathlon! Or even those doing the double or triple IM.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I thought a phobia was an irrational fear, and so by its very definition tridecaphobica could not be rational?  I may live to regret not utilising the power of Google prior to posting, but I guess it could be that Thursday the 12th is unlucky for me... image

More seriously (and being extremely dull), unless you have kept a diary of every day of your life with a rating scale of every event which has ever happened to you, I don't see how you can be sure that a particular day is good/bad.  Even then you would be sample of 1 and therefore statistically insignificant.

Edited because I couldn't spell phobia!

• In France Lottery sales go up on Friday 13th as it is considered extra lucky!
  • Tinsel-Celt wrote (see)
    Co-incidenatlly a number of adverse events/occurences have taken place throughout my life on Friday the 13th, more so than any other day/date combination. I don't think I'm tridecaphobic but I do worry about what's going on on that day/date? Are you?
    Are you sure, or is just the fact that because it was Friday 13th you were looking for them and consequently remember them more than other events that may have occured. It's quite possible more things have happened on Monday 22nd than Friday 13th, but you simply haven't noticed the corrolation because you weren't looking for it.
  • Friggatriskaidekaphobia. You're welcome.
  • It all depends on the country where you live ir are from.

Is all regional. In Britain friday 13 is considered unlucky....................but I've never heard of it on other countries.

In Spain it is Tuesday 13 the one considered unlucky,

and so on, it changes with place.

This all makes you think........................does the "bad luck" changes depending on the country you live in? or you nationality?

do british people in spain go by the friday 13 or the local tuesday 13?

Personaly that's why i don't believe in those, because having lived in a few different countries i would have a lot........of unlucky days

• I was born on a Friday 13th so all in all its pretty lucky for everyone in the uk to have me hereimage 
  • I'm not a fan of fridays as a general rule, but have nothing specific against the 13th no matter what day of the week it falls on.  If anything bad happens on a Friday you have all weekend to stew on it - especially if it is work associated but also because call out costs go up at weekends (if it was a plumbing problem for example) and many businesses are not open at weekends.  Things have improved a bit since Sunday trading has been allowed and the internet allows you access to more things, but it is still harder to solve problems at the weekend than it is during the week.
  • Ultra Ironwolf wrote (see)

Tridecaphobia sounds like something appropriate fopr the pirates, at least those deluded ones who've signed up to do the IM deca triathlon! Or even those doing the double or triple IM.

LOL... not just me then... I thought she was scared of the Deca tri.  And I thought that's perfectly rational... unless you're Monique. image
  • I don't lose sleep over it, just wake up on the day wondering if....otherwise get on as normal and if tish happens just chalk it up!
  • If something is going to go wrong, it won't always be on Friday 13th. It's just another day.
  • I've never been superstitious, touch wood.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Tinsel-Celt wrote (see)
    Co-incidenatlly a number of adverse events/occurences have taken place throughout my life on Friday the 13th, more so than any other day/date combination.

Confirmation bias.

It's the same reason that it rains more on bank holidays, even though it (probably) doesn't.

Anyway, there won't be many more Friday 13ths to worry about soon.  According to the Mayans the world will end on 21/12/12 (I think).  Saves having to budget for Christmas though, eh.

• This Friday 13th I'm having sewage cleared out of the cellar so it's a good day.

The bad day was last Saturday when the sewage flooded into the cellar.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    I should think the days in between were less than great, too! image
  • M.ister W wrote (see)
    The bad day was last Saturday when the sewage flooded into the cellar.
    Oh shit! image
  • Fatima Luna wrote (see)

It all depends on the country where you live ir are from.

Is all regional. In Britain friday 13 is considered unlucky....................but I've never heard of it on other countries.

In Spain it is Tuesday 13 the one considered unlucky,

and so on, it changes with place.

This all makes you think........................does the "bad luck" changes depending on the country you live in? or you nationality?

do british people in spain go by the friday 13 or the local tuesday 13?

Personaly that's why i don't believe in those, because having lived in a few different countries i would have a lot........of unlucky days

People who move around a lot are immune. Fact.
    Friday 13th is like water off a duck's back to me because I live in Spain, whereas Tuesday 13th frankly me resbala because I'm not from here.

Best of both worlds.imageimage

• Hola Azacaya....................como estas?

sorry, that means "hello, how are you?"

yes, as you say it changes depending of place....................i think i am inmune to the friday 13 or tuesday 13.

when it is friday 13 i say to myself that i am spanish after all so it won't affect me.......but when is tuesday 13 i say to myself that i life in britain....so it won't affect me either.....

• My Friday 13th was wonderful.  Met up with an old friend and had a fantastic time.