Options

Trail Shoes on the Road

AndyL78AndyL78 ✭✭✭
Does anyone have any experience or advice about using trail shoes on the road.

I am a novice runner and do a mix of surfaces. I bought a pair of New Balance 876s that are really comfortable and am now using them for everything.

Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    I use trail shoes a lot on road. They're a bit heavier than road shoes but you'd not really notice a difference in time.
  • Options

Have run on the road in every trail shoe I`ve ever owned, the X-Talons feel a bit strange but it doesn`t bother me one little bit.. 

• Options

The main difference between Trail Shoes and Road Shoes is the cushioning, with trail shoes on average having a much stiffer cushioning sole. I know a lot who run in trail shoe on the road, although if you are doing high milage training I would recommend a road specific shoe.

If you are looking to do a mix of surfaces, then possible look at trainers that combine trail and road advantages. Such as the Salomon Crossmax, or the Saucony Xodus 2.0, or the Brooks Cascadia. There is an ultra runner who swears by the Crossmax and he runs up to 250km in a race with them.

• Options
    AndyL78AndyL78 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. The advice helps.

I actually have flat feet and I find the stiffness helps me (I think). Also I have insoles I have to wear from the podiatrist and that has extra cushioning.

I suppose at the end of the day it is a personal thing and what suites best.
  • Options
    Roland McCartney wrote (see)

Have run on the road in every trail shoe I`ve ever owned, the X-Talons feel a bit strange but it doesn`t bother me one little bit.. 

'Ditto' Mud-Claws
    They do squirm about a fair bit though, & wear rapidly on tarmac/concrete
  • Options
    I run a lot of mixed routes covering trail and road and quite regularly use  my new balance trail shoes as they are just so comfortable.
  • Options
    A few brands offer trail versions of their road shoes which provide a more aggressive sole and some have goretex too. I find these although a little heavier make running on mixed surfaces no problem. Since using the goretex models (asics gel trabuco gtx and brooks adrenaline gtx) I won't run in anything else (nice warm and dry feet, unless of course you cross rivers). On a mixed trail 13 mile route (about 3 miles on-road) I find the support and cushioning a really good idea to keep injuries at bay.