Connemara Ultra 2012

I've entered for this years Connemara Ultra in April and a couple of other races, anyone else gonna join me in Ireland

Comments

• I'm not sure about joining you Kevin bit I'll certainly be there, it's my hometown though I live in London nowadays
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

This year will be my 8th consecutive Connemara ultra.  One of my favourite events.

Also looking at Dingle 1 Sep.  There's talk of putting on a 50 as in 2009 if RO can get enough interest.  He needs a minimum of 100 at the start line. 

• Really looking forward to the craic and seeing a part of Ireland I have never been to.

Thinking about investing in an Raidlight Olmo 5ltr pack, do you think I would need it or is it just extra weight/unneccessary bling.

I'm training in Milton Keynes if anyone is near here

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

ktw - never considered using a pack for this one - I can carry all I need in a belt.  Usually plenty of water on the course.

Word of warning - there is a good drop box system for the ultra but it can't be guaranteed your stuff will be still there when you get to it - the full and half marathon runners will have already gone by and perhaps helped themselves ...

• Best ultra if not race in Ireland. Ill be back again this year. Already training for it at the moment. Whats the goals lads?
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Don't know, frank.  I've had over a year of injury - just clearing up - so hard to predict. Ideally I would want about 6:07 (PB 6:13 2010).  Managed to limp round in 6:58 last year.
  • I managed to get in just the day before it filled up. It will be by first ultra. My mrs also entered for her first marathon. I've done quite a few, with five last year, current pb 3:38 but I'm wondering how to decide pacing. Any pacing estimation tips based on marathon speed? I can't really find a suitable online calculator. Previously I used the MARCO method for running a negative split in a marathon, and this works very well for me. (Basically it splits a mara into thirds, running below, at, and above average pace by a couple of %). What I really like about it is running entirely on heart rate, gradually going up in each third. Could I do something similar for a road ultra?
  • I'm in for the marathon image, accommodation sorted near Clifton, going for the whole week as have never been to this part of Ireland before, just need to book ferry now image.

Small matter of surviving Thames Path 100 at start of March image, but I figure Conne as a holiday I have always wanted to do, not worried about marathon time, just going for the craic image.

• T Rex wrote (see)
    Don't know, frank.  I've had over a year of injury - just clearing up - so hard to predict. Ideally I would want about 6:07 (PB 6:13 2010).  Managed to limp round in 6:58 last year.
    I spoke to you on the way back on the bus after the race last year
    Steve C.   wrote (see)
    I managed to get in just the day before it filled up. It will be by first ultra. My mrs also entered for her first marathon. I've done quite a few, with five last year, current pb 3:38 but I'm wondering how to decide pacing. Any pacing estimation tips based on marathon speed? I can't really find a suitable online calculator. Previously I used the MARCO method for running a negative split in a marathon, and this works very well for me. (Basically it splits a mara into thirds, running below, at, and above average pace by a couple of %). What I really like about it is running entirely on heart rate, gradually going up in each third. Could I do something similar for a road ultra?
    It can be done but it is extremely hard in conn because the 2 big hills in conn are in the final third. I managed to do it last year. 1.51, 1.52 1.48 for a 5.31 finish.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

That's exceptional pacing, frank.  That last third tends to be slower, especially if it's hot like in 2010 when I did 2:03, 1:59, 2:11 for 6:13 finish.  My most even paced was 2009: 2:06, 2:05, 2:03 for 6:14 finish.

Steve C.  If it's your first ultra it's hard to predict pace.  One thing you shouldn't do is go out at more or less marathon pace and "see how long you can hold out for".  That's a recipe for disaster and a miserable last few miles.  I found at first how surprisingly slower than marathon pace my ultra pace had to be in order to run evenly and finish well.  My best marathon is about 8:15 miling, but this one still no faster than 9:30.  For a first ultra I would expect the difference to be wider still.

Tigerspaw - I'm using Connemara as part of a build up to bigger ones!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hi, Fellrunner.

I keep going back out there until I do it!!

My ultimate target is a sub-6.

• Hi T Rex my best recent marathon is also about that pace so your comment is very useful. Maybe to be conservative I should aim at about 6:10 with a 9:29 mile pace but the main thing I would like to do is convert this to a percent HR and then apply slight negative split bias to the HR% but that is an exercise for me to compute I suppose image
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Steve - conservative! I would say don't be too disappointed if you don't get close to 6:10 if this is your first ultra.  A negative split for the event at your first attempt would be truly exceptional.  Best way to judge your ability would be to do several runs in the 30-34 mile range between then and now and see what pace you can maintain. 

There are approximately four miles of climbing in the last third of Connemara.

Don't know anything about heart rates since I don't bother with them.  As long as it's still beating, that's good enough for me.

• Steve, depending on your age I would use the optimum fat burning HR%. Mine for example is 147 and worked out using the general maffetone method used by Stu Mittleman and a variety of Ultra/Ironman coaches.

Only issue is depending on how you feel will depend on your pace. For example I ran 14 miles last weekend at 9min mile pace within this HR zone and yet ran 16 miles yesterday at 8.20 pace and felt fine and again within zone even though I was quite chesty for the first 5-6 miles. Thre in plenty of hills as well especially at the end!

• Thanks for the comments. I've been doing a 50 mile ultra plan based on RW.com plan a few years ago for weektime runs, and LSDs on the weekend based on a plan again for 50 miles from ultraladies. I allow myself to shave off 10% from the weekends. This latter plan tends to like back to backs, which suits me timewise. Last weekend was about 21 mi/10 mi b2b.

I've been experimenting with run-walk at 10:1 mins using a gymboss interval timer. This makes the long runs a lot easier. For me, Kevin, the fat-burning top would be about 69% MHR. I've been setting a cap in the run portions of more like 75% and probably averaging 73% to 71% MHR in the run parts. If a hill starts to take me over this cap then I walk it.

It's hard to predict what finish time I'm looking at, as I'm running on a thin layer of snow, roads first then trails for the 2nd lsd, wearing either spiked shoes or deep lugs. I'm doing about 10:30 min miles very roughly over the whole long run. I shall see how this progresses as the b2bs get longer (also a 31 miler is scheduled) but yes, i think 6:10 was optimistic, T Rex, and I would be happy to keep repeating my 10:1 pattern and do 10 or 11 minute miles until its finished, in say 6:30 to 7 hrs. If I'm lucky I will save some time because the course will be flatter and have less snow on it than where I live in Norway image

ktw as regards a pack I've been using a Salomon advanced skin S-lab 12 set (phew) which is probably overkill at 12 l but i can carry spare clothes, 1.5 l water bladder, gels, energy drinks, gels etc. The main thing I like about it is the way it clings to you without a waist belt. Maybe the 5 l version would be enough, but they're expensive.

BTW my excel spreadsheet with these two training plans combined is here in case anyone is interested

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Steve - you're going about this in a very scientific manner.  Impressive.  This is a road ultra with own drop bags taken to CPs - I think we are allowed to leave stuff at three different ones.  There won't be much need to carry anything.

I would be surprised to find snow on the Connemara course, although one year we had a vista of snowy mountain tops.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

T Rex - great news Dingle Ultra is on again this year.

I'm doing the ultra at Conne tooimage

and Longford

and Portumna

Best get some serious training inimage

• Ill be doing all those as well shades. Which option in portumna, there is a 50k and a 100k. 52.4 miles race in clare in november to, excellent race.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Frank - 100k for me at Portumna.   I have this crazy idea that I like to get my money's worthimage.   Will be my first 100k race.

The race in Clare, is that off road?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hello, Shades.  Don't seem to bump into you much these days.  Good news about Dingle - I'll be entering.  Have you run in Dingle at all yet?  If not you're in for a treat.

I haven't done a 100K yet - mainly because they all seem to be 2-mile loops which would drive me insane probably.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Hello T Rex - I don't do any off road events, which is probably why we see each other rarely.   I don't mind laps, it means not having to carry anythingimage

Yes did Dingle ultra in 2010 and loved it, had to settle for the marathon there last year

Am looking forward to Conne Ultra as I usually do the marathon.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Shades - oops image.   That's what I did in Dingle as well the last two years.  You're not the sort of person to forget, but that's just what I have done.

Yes, but you'll be doing the marathon on the Saturday, won't you?

• SHADES wrote (see)

Frank - 100k for me at Portumna.   I have this crazy idea that I like to get my money's worthimage.   Will be my first 100k race.

The race in Clare, is that off road?

Its all road but its 52 laps of a one mile course. Not a race to be missedimage
  • 52 laps of a mile course?  I think I'd rather kick myself repeatedly in the head image
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

frank - thanks for the info on the Clare race, I'm off to find details

T-Rex - no not doing the marathon on the Saturday, I decided this year that no doubles at all, they destroy your training and I want to run Conne ultra on fresh legs

Lirish - I've done 80 miles round a 400m track so mile laps sounds quite invitingimage

• Shades it called the eddie murphy memorial marathon and ultra. There is a marathon and 2 ultra distances 30 and 52.4 miles. Very professionally organised race with excellent marshalls, water and gatorade every mile. tea and cake and massages at the end. its on the 18th of nov this year afaikimage

Lirish as shades said one mile laps are easy when you have done 24 hours on a 400 metre trackimage

• Guys you have my utmost respect, I'm afraid I don't have the mental strength to do those kind of races. I struggle even to stay on a treadmill for more than an hour.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Shades - no doubles?  So certainly no tens, then? image

Looking forward to seeing you again.  With 15 months of achilles tendonitis finally behind me, I hope to pick up my training and do a reasonable time this year, hopefully about 6:06 or thereabouts.

I could not do events with small laps.  Long point-to-points I Iike, if the logistics are good, or one large circle. I like the feeling of being the furthest away from the start half way round. You've got to get back.

On small laps you're not getting anywhere or seeing anything.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Lirish - I have never set foot on a treadmill as I like to run outdoors.   However, this year I've joined the gym so I don't lose any training if conditions become too icy to run outdoors safely, so far not needed.

T-Rex - tens,  nooooooooo, never again.   Maybe a double or two but nothing planned.

So sorry to hear you've had a long term injury but have now recovered.

Lap races are great socially and the only chance for me to rub shoulders with the faster runners!