New Year...New runner

Comments

• K talk about being down, take the positive out of it, at least you got up and did it!!! That's an acheivement.

What sort of phone do you have?  Just thinking if it is compatable you may be able to use something like runkeeper on it, that uses GPS to track your run and records all the data for you.  Just an idea.  I've only gone for a watch coz I hate taking my phone out with me image

Chin up and keep smiling, you're heading in the right direction.  I'm proud of you for getting out and doing something, you could easily have stayed in bed.  Know which by choice I'd do image

• Just found the facebook page, wouldn't find it on ipad for some reason so looked on laptop and there it was.  I'm curious...has anyone got any plans or put in for any events this year?? I'm really keen to put in for one so i have something to aim at.

Cheers

• i suppose your right Maam, always a silver lining image unfortunately i have a nokia something or other, got Ovi tho which is a kinda app store so could have a look. due upgrade end of March thank god so hopefully get one with GPS??? i'm acting like i know if this even exists lolol image cross trainer is brill though, i've always been team CrossTrainer, can't do treadmill, get far to bored too quickly.

Wilson-its always sunny in Glasgow, thats why we've all got the lovely dark skin colour uo here in scotland lol....i wish image 

I went on a booking spree and signed up for Glasgow 5k  on 1st April, Glasgow Ladies10k on may 13th, Edinburgh half marathon on 27th May, glasgow half marathon 6th september and full marathon at Loch Ness on September 30th lol. probs be my last day of life also.........thought if i booked them now i would HAVE to keep training x

• K you should see it down here......orange is the colour haha! Have you seen desperate scousewives? Lol. Not good!

I worked up in south queens ferry last year...beautiful place, love Scotland you have so much amazing scenery to look at.

Busy year it seems you have lol. I think I could do with booking some but wouldn't even know where to start.

Weather is nice and sunny here today though, ok so it's cold but if you close your eyes, suit up and imagine you're in India then you could feel the bliss! Not long returned from a hol in India and omg it is hooootttt!
  • Wow, you guys are doing great! When someone can give me the secret to getting up early to run let me know ASAP! I have tried to do a morning run...but have never managed 1.
    Still only done the 1 run this week but I did a core conditioning class on Wednesday....and yes I too am like a 90 year old...ouch!
    Running at the weekend though so will keep you posted.
    I too am aiming for a 2013 marathon.......huge way off in terms of my running ability but really want to give it a go.
  • Hi Gem, well done!!!!! loads of training advice on here for how to start out and aim towards golas so make sure you ahve a look.....wish i'd booked 2013 marathon instead of 2012 lol, seems a much better idea image Good Luck for the Weekend should keep checkin in and let everyone know how your doing....and my advice for early morning runs is don't do them lolol image ko, i'm sure i'll get into the swing of them.

Wilson-unfortunately i did fall across this scousewives for all of 5 mins lol, horrific, cringe TV, had to change channel, but never fear....apparently theres a "only Way is Glasgow" effort coming to a screen near you.......literally will be awful.

Scotland might be scenic but right now i'm watchin two dodgy looking bloke standing on a roof wiring up a questionable tv satalite, and the council have literally just walked by putting grit down on the pavement........that can't be a good omen for tomorrow......literally as lucky as having the grim reaper at the door lol.

as for booking races or events, i just googled "races in scotland" and "races in glasgow" and sites came up With like a 2012 calender of races and links on how to contact them aswell as reviews and other info,.....i just picked some so they were kind of spaced out over my 9 months training plan. let us know if you get anything booked image may aswell book one to showcase the new running gear you've just bought image

Can someone put up facebook link, i'm still lost x

• Closest i'll ever get to india is Ali's take -away round the corner....doesn't look like india but sure does taste like it.

Wish i was in india or somewhere lovely and warm now that i've seen the gritter brigade out on force image

• K - I think your crazy in a good way booking so much! Running right up to and including a mara by end Sept - wow I'm impressed.  You know I'll be here to encourage you all the way image

I haven't booked anything and at the moment don't plan to, running/exercise is my fun & my me time if that makes sense.  I am considering a couple of the 5k parkruns when I'm up to it.  My nearest one is Liverpool!

Gem - You'll get there in your own time, you are doing really well and shouldn't feel down.  As for the tip of early morning running, I get through it by incentive.  Whether it be a treat for brekkie or something I want, if I don't drag myself out of bed and do it, then I don't get what I want.  It always hurts, but once I've done it it is the best feeling ever, somehow seems more satisfying image

Today I am feeling tired, after my exercise this morning I've started to sort the spare room ready for my cross trainer - only problem is I only moved in fully not long before Christmas and that's where most of my stuff got shoved until we sort downstairs, plus he hasn't cleared his stuff either. You know when you start a job thinking, 'that'll only take an hour!' then several hours later you still can't see the end??? That's this image Room looks good though, just spare bed and gym now set up, all the crap is on the landing, oops!

K - the link is http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/287851637929691/ hopefully will work for you image

Shame the weather looks doubtful, hope it stays good here as I'm looking to do my first run on Sunday, fingers crossed image

• Somewhere hot??? That'll have to wait till I fly out to Cuba in July, can't wait image
  • lol, i must be crazy Maam, the more i think about it the more i wonder if theres such a thing as race refunds. but worth a try image 5k's are an excellent idea, get a lot of free entry ones too so no reason not too. as for the cleaning, i'd say you've done enough for the day, leave the stuff on the landing and call it art.

thanks for facebook link, finally got it, request to join has been sent image

Cuba...Mexico....Jealous of you all, your so lucky.....closest i'll get to "sunny" will be turning big light on in living room image maybe get something booked for after the dreaded marathon, serious incentive!!!!!!

like your treat idea........though i did that completely wrong this morning, i was so annoyed at myself for my poor performance this morning that i got myself a jumbo chocolate cream donut from greggs to try cheer me up lolol........from now on, i'll only get it if i complete the run i set out to do lol x

• Fingers crossed maam for sunday! Hope weather is going to be good!

K surely it cant beat abit of TOWIE hehe!

India is amazing. Only went Goa i dont think i could stomach the really deprived parts. 40 degree heat is jusr what you need in this cold.

Im hoping to maybe doing a 5 miler.tonight, will see how it goes
  • Chocolate orange all the way k!
  • Hi Everyone!
    I'm new to RW as of today and I started running as a New Years resolution and its going well! Its nice to find a space where people are on the same page as you, I tend to find two responses to running...it's either A) ''I hate running...why do you do that?!?!'' (to be fair that was my response about 3 months ago!) or B) ''Oh the furthest you've done is 5 miles! that's nothing! I did a half marathon on Sunday!'' (That usually comes from my boss!)
    Its nice to find the medium, running is hard..but I'm finding that I'm loving it which brought me here! I was also wanting some advice...I did start running in November but I was infrequent. My Resolution is to be consistent with it on weekly basis, but I've recently been getting some discomfort in my knees...not whist I'm running but as an aftermath...has anyone else has this problem??

Thanks guys!

X
  • hi lidi, welcome to RW image consistency's a good resolution. image good luck, hope you do well with sticking to it image i've actually had an achy knee this week after my run on monday, just the one knee, but was just trying to ignore it, so b good to see if anyone does come up with any advice on that.

Wilson- r u referring to the Jaffa Cakke Greggs Donut..........cause there's no way a person could chose to have that when its placed insignificantly next to the jaw dropping strawberry milkshake donut lol.........i have to start dieting lol

• Lidi - sounds like you're in the right place, running, fun and laughter is the aim image Well for me it is and the guys on here definatley help with that one.

K- def keep the donut as a treat, it will make it taste so much better, or you might find you're so proud of yourself that actually you don't want to undo the hard work and go without with a huge smile of satisfaction on your face image

I sometimes get knee trouble, I tend to just rest and listen to my body, if knees hurt during a run I stop and walk.  No point pushing it and causing more problems, I did that with my ankle and has put me out for 3 months, never again. Pain is a warning sign of don't overdo in my book image

I've almost made it far enough with the cleaning, just feel like I have done yet another workout. Must confess, I have dipped into the celebrations for a odd sneaky choc, just for the energy of course image Decided was ok after all the exercise I'm doing today, going to work till 5 ish then stop for my dinner and a chill out, now there is an incentive, better get back too it image

• Maam everyone's gotta stop and have a Mars break, its crucial for energy image do you mean your working till 5 in the morning?? image
  • No - just sorting house until 5, as in now, I've done for today and am somewhat pleased with what I have acheived.  Not looking forward to his face when he gets in though and I break the news how much he has to sort, oh well all in a good cause.

Now its me time, only chor left is the dishes, but they can wait until I've eaten.  Feel like I always have food on the mind image Happy thoughts image

• Maaam relax chill out image put them in the dishwasher then press go!

Lidi congrats on the resolution. Just keep up the motivation side and u'll keep going. It sounds you might need some new shoes as they might.not be suitable for you? Have you had a gait done?

K although im trying to put on weight all this talk of food we will all be scoffing our faces image. I have to say though i am a big choccoholic!can you blame me?
  • Dishwasher - what's one of them???? In our house, when he works late, I am the dishwasher!

Chocoholic I think seems to be a theme, but everything in moderation instead of just pigging out is going to have to be the way forward, or just get it out the house then I'll be sorted image

Have I mentioned I can't wait till sunday to go for a RUN!!!!! image Just a little sad won't have new watch by then, but guess you can't have everything.

• Just got back from run. Hadn't digested my tea properly so felt heavy when running so just went for a shorter one. 3.24 miles at 24.10 minutes. Think I definitely need to slow down on next run if I'm to get some further distances.

Hope it helps me sleep anyway.

Night all image
  • trying to put weight on Wilson, thats every womans dream, i'm just in from a nice dinner, literally got my moneys worth then some lol, defo be heavier on the old sneeker soles tomorrow lol, not more Greggs delights for me!!

Maam, 2 more sleeps till the run.......then you'll b back!!!!!

night guys x

• Thanks for all the support guys! Its nice to know there's other people out there doing it with me! I go to a running club but no one sticks! lol

To the lady with the doughnut - Excellent reward well deserved! I always tend to find that chocolate always tastes better after a workout! My boyfriend brought home a triple dark and white chocolate cheesecake last night after I had done a 5 miler and i did not have a single piece..IT WAS THE HARDEST THING I'VE EVER DONE...now it's gone I wont make that mistake again!

Maam - you've been out for 3 months?? I bet you are pumped to go for your next run! is it your first proper run in all that time?! U'll be back on the horse in no time!

As for my knees a friend of mine suggested yoga to build up joint muscles...ill give it a go and see what happens!

x
  • lol lady with the donut......i'm definately gonna have to make that my new screen name hahaha, classic....if its easier u can call me Kirstin, though lady with a donut definately suits me better image

5 miles image well done you that amazing, can't wait till i can cover three miles lol......i reckon that would have merited cheesecake & wine lol. how many times a week do u run Lidi?

as for your knee joints, yoga is a shout.....i actually found a few articles in the blog section that had 14 or so yoga poses or positions to really help your muscles, joints and posture after runs. It has pictures, step by step instructions and includes the benifits of each pose, found it really interesting, not tried them out yet but its definately on my to do list. also, wither your interested i don't know, but i've heard a lot of runners take glucosamine capsules which are aimed at keeping joints supple??? wither or not you'd be willing to try i dont know, sometimes i wonder if these things are a bit of a gimic but i reckon it want do me any harm to try them for a month or so, so i'm gonna give them a bash.

been flat out at work all day, done massage after massage to the point where i want to kick my next client off the bed and try get a leg rub myself, legs are aching to do. swapping tomorrows rest day for today and going out a run tomorrow as i've more time image

Hope everyone is doing well todayimage

http://kirst-38week2marathon.blogspot.com/

• Kirsten or kirsty? My names Roy by the way so call me by that. Mr wilson reminds me of dennis the menice.

How did we get talking bout donuts and wine image? i miss my late night kebabs on naan mmmm!!! Aharrr!

Been hard at work here to although not touching other people image. Think ill make mine a rest day as aching abit in the quads.

How is everyone?
  • Kirstin- Scottish spelling image

oh yeah late night kebabs.....thats what i call Saturday image though taste even better on a Sunday morning wen u wake up spooning that precious polystyrene container that you fell asleep in mid mouthfull lolol....god i miss my student days image

Em i would avoid touching people unless its in your contract lol, people dont tend to take well to it.

Right so its agreed........friday is the new day of rest....works for me!

wonder how Maam is doing today? i missed calculated last night and said it was 2 sleeps to her first run, but it was 3 image bad day wen u cant count to 3. 2 more sleeps now though!!!!! must be excited image

• Hey all,

I'm doing good thanks, been finishing sorting out the back room, hopefully picking cross trainer up tomorrow (change of weekend so can get earlier image ) After 2 days it is finally sorted. Car full to the skip, few bits to charity, shopping done!

Not that I could wait I've done 30mins on my stepper, had dinner and a nice choc yoghurt as a reward image

Friday rest day would sound good, but mine is going to be tomorrow before the run on Sunday, did I mention that I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

Kebabs are def memories from student days, many nights in Liverpool! Many nights unable to remember too image

Since we're onto names, I'm Ange. 

Sounds like everyone is doing great with the running, going to be a great running weekend too! I'll be running again imageimageimage

• Kirstin as in Kirstin dunst? image haha 

Nar you gotta eat kebab when its fresh but i understand what you mean if you don't even remember eating it mmm!  I havent had one in months image!

Ange would you like to come clean my house? 

Looking forward to my run tomorrow, shake off the cobwebs from a few heavy days at work.  Gonna take a look at some events next week probs start off in about March.

• Hi guys seems everything going well for you all, all this talk of donuts, kebabs, chocolate and wine is making me feel rather hungry. My running days are Monday, Wednesday and either fri or Saturday, so I'm going tomorrow. My neighbour has invited me to go running on Sunday, but that means I will be running Saturday Sunday and Monday, I am usually out for 30 mins ( 5 min warm up and cool down 20 min run / walk) do u think 3 days in a row will be too much? Or if I pace myself do you think I will be ok?
  • Kirstin dunst's gran was Scottish lol image

Saturday we'r all back out running, no donuts, no excuses lol.....if i have to do it, you guys have to do it lol

Claire, the way i've planned my running schedule this week, i'll also be running three in a row......sat, sun and mon.......Sat is a 45 min run walk (probs running 10 walking 2) same goes for sunday, then monday is a 35 min. i reckon we can do it image x