So hungry!

Hi all.

I run/train most lunchtimes, and do a long run (at the moment between 10 and 15 miles) on the weekend. Total weekly mileage probably between 30 and 40 miles. This will be increasing as get close to a marathon I'm running in April. I also cycle to work (4 miles each way)....and in the afternoons I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo hungry. 

Trying to just stick to fruit at work (have a sandwich for lunch) - but eating loads of the stuff. At moment trying to resist another banana that's sitting on my desk. Not sure I can.

In evenings it's worse, just want to eat and eat. Not putting on weight so don't think it's a problem as probably burning 3000+ calories a week running, just wanted to share that with you.

Anyone else got the same?

Comments

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Are you actually hungry, or do you just want food? Because there is a difference image

If you are hungry then you're obviously not eating enough. And if weight isn't an issue, then there's no reason not to feed your hunger. Protein is more satiating than carbs, so whilst fruit is a healthy option it may not be sufficient by itself to satisfy your hunger. Also, are you eating sufficiently at breakfast and lunch to avoid the mid-afternoon hunger? If you're not, that may explain getting the munchies!

Nuts, yoghurt, eggs, milk or milkshakes, sandwiches or similar with a protein filling are fine as snack foods. You should also include some protein in your breakfast and lunch. Just keep an eye on your weight to make sure it doesn't becomes a concern image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    ok - good advice. I'll start bring in nuts for snacks, and drinking more milk.
  • The marathon munchies haven't quite hit me yet, but I reckon in another couple of weeks I'll be in the same boat as you!

My worst time is just after a hard run, as soon as I've cooled down a bit I start getting really hungry. If I don't have something to eat PDQ, I'll end up eating and eating and eating when I get home. Recently discovered Soreen malt loaf, a shake and a slice of that takes the edge off nicely image

• Marathon Munchies - you said it Xine.

I have no appetite for a couple of hours and then, all at once I can - and indeed do - eat for England.

• The hardest part is remembering not to carry on eating marathon training quantities when the race is over ................
  • image Guilt of that on more than one occasion and carrying a bit to much at the moment. Luckily got some nice training ahead of me the next few months. image
  • Snap - and I haven't done a marathon since 2008!
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    I've never done a marathon, or anything above HM distance. But that's enough to completely kill my appetite, pretty much for the rest of the day. I think I'm just weird like that image
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

I'm full!

Wonder how long it will last...

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Until your next snack or meal time! image