Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Rosie

Comments

• Rosie - Craig - Emma (all Sam's students) Just come back from an extremely inspirational talk at a local gym by Steve Edwards who is a guy from Coventry who is an Extreme Marathon Runner - some of his stats (which are numerous including many world records and Guinness records) are:

> world record for fastest athlete to run 500 (five hundred) marathons at avge of 3hrs 18mins

> various other world marathon records including 87 in one calendar year averaging 3hrs 14mins each

> has done the Windermere 10 in 10 days 4 times with world best times (best of 33hrs 16mins)

> on average has run an official marathon race every 16 days for the last 24 years

Not suggesting you target these (!!!!!!) but the reason I write this is that the key points he made were very similar to those made at bootcamp and by Steve and Sam afterwards including;

- work on core strength and glutes several times a week

- nutrition has been key to his continued success

- importance of stretching (dynamic pre-run then static after)

- gradual weekly mileage buildup with an easy week every 3 or 4 weeks for recovery

- have a long term vision then short term targets to get there and plan, plan, plan

- enjoy the whole journey (some sessions may be tough but overall enjoy it)

Many more points made.  Please be encouraged that what the Target 26.2 programme is putting you through and how it is being done is going to reap its rewards - it has done it for Steve Edwards and many more folk as well.  Cheersimage

• Rosie A wrote (see)

Good luck for the xc tomorrow sleepy bear. I've just been watching the international races in Holyrood Park: amazing!

So, the GWR race this morning - 22:40. Gender position: 9th, 148th overall http://www.greatrun.org/Results/default.aspx?r=240&bib=697#

My average paces for the mile splits reflect the crazy hill (elevation of 309 according to garmin) and the wind the first mile and a bit..

Mile 1: 08:08

Mile 2: 07:21

Mile 3: 06:05

Mile 4: 06:11  

So, ok, sortof..? I felt fine finishing, but then immediately mildly sheepish as was a bit too fine and should have tried a bit harder? Timewise it's 23s slower than the last time I raced that course (2009), but I've been telling myself I'm loads less fit than I was then, which I clearly need to stop telling myself now, and just get on with training!

11M slow tomorrow, Yey!! image

Hey Rosie, good to see you in Edinburgh and well done to you and your mum (was looking out for for a young weimaraner attacking Kenenise Bekele when I watched the Cross country on the telly later but seems you avoided a "Fenton" moment!". Good time, too. Mine was 20.19 - bit disappointed not to break 20 mins, but it was tough! I got a bit carried away at the start chasing the car with the clock on it (felt like a proper athlete for 400 metres before realising it would be a good idea to wind it in a bit!). Would love to know splits.. MUST invest in a decent watch!

Anyway, seems like all's going well... keep up the good work! And thanks for the parking pass!!

• Oscar et al..............importance of stretching (dynamic pre-run then static after)

Dynamic pre run??? Is that bounding and stepping as we did at Birmingham with Steve on the track a few different 100mtrs of......guess so...............too much reading of marathon books!!!

My 16 week schedule starts on Feb 6th.  Sent off application to Asics to run the Wilmslow Half on the 25th of March is perfect timing with my schedule. On reflection going to use the 4hour RW schedule and tweak the mileage if its too heavy mid week with Hal Higdon as reference as I have been on that for the last few weeks but there is not too much detail on that.

Rosie/Hayley...........whats for tea now??????? I am watching.............image

Time to put the headtorch and rucksack on and head home!!

• Rosie

I will get Alice to send you my email address!

MCS- carb loading is based on body weight. As a guideline you would be aiming for 10grams of carbs per kilogram of weight (however if you  carry a lot of extra weight then I would reduce the weight and hence carbs). So if you weighed 70kg then you should be aiming for 700grams of carb each day for   2-3 days before race with rest/very light running. I would  suggest you split this into 6 small meals or at least 3 meals and 3 decent snacks. If you send me roughly what you do I could demonstrate how tthis would work for you and then others could see what a carb loading day looks like. For females you may find 8g per kilogram of body weight is enough. Also may people will eat as if they are training in the days leading up to a race so may naturally carb load.

• mcs - not telling image Ahh the joys of being a wannabe and not having to confess LOL!

• Oscar - the talk sounds great and I'm pleased and relieved to hear that he gave sound advice - some people have an ability to accomplish amazing feats but aren't necessarily doing it healthily (take Eddie Izzard - I mean, hats off to him completely, but 43 marathons on 6 weeks training not generally the best idea.!)

MCS. Yes dynamic stretches are the sort of warm-up drills that you did with Steve. So things like heel flicks, high knees, skipping, bounding as well as leg swings (forward and back, and side to side). I dislike the term dynamic stretching because people still perceive it to be some kind of stretch when actually it's about taking joints through a greater range of motion to prepare the body for exercise.

Rosie: yes just switch Saturday and Sunday around that weekend. What's the course like for the 10k? And how did the session go in the end yesterday?
    One more running day before COMPULSORY NO RUN DAY - shall we call it CNR?!image

• Oscar -  That sounds great! I'm still have some trepidation about the very long runs and as you've seen from my thread I am struggling to sort my diet (essentially because I am a piggy with a sweet tooth!). So the comments from the talk are very positive and have made me feel a bit better! Thank you.

Rosie- You are amazing - I need some of your dedication! I am constantly clock watching when I run knowing I've got to be doing the next thing ... surely then I should be running faster! Hope you manage your CNRD ok ... remember Sam has her spies everywhere!image

• Sam - yes, regarding the talk, Steve stressed all the points you guys have been preaching and teaching so it was comforting - i liked a quote he used to introduce his training tips session "You can't fire a cannon from a canoe" 
  • All - i've had to cancel the boat trip so will be rejigging my schedule somewhat to take account for the 2 weeks I would have lost

• Rosie, could you go and do my long run for me today. I'm a bit tired image On second thoughts, perhaps you're not the best person to make that joke to. DO NOT TAKE SERIOUSLY! image

My next Murphy's Lore column in RW is about whether you should run if you don't feel like it and today has been the epitomy of that. I've been agonising all morning. My inner conversation: Perhaps I'm not 100%, so that's why I don't feel like going. Aah, but maybe I'm just being a lightweight and I need to grit my teeth and get on with it. But what if I end up making myself ill or injured? Hmm but I'll feel much better if I get it done. AAAHHHHH!

Anyway, I'm going. I bumped into a guy from my Saturday group as I was walking Sid this morning and told him I was doing it so I can't lose face now image

• Not read the column yet Sam, but will check it out. Isn't this part of the mental side of running, when the marathon is part running and the other part mental strength?
  • Hi Knight Rider, how's the training going? I hope you're being more obedient than Rosie is image

Well, I guess it is the mental side but it's also the fine art of listening to your body and distinguishing between genuine warning signs that you're too tired to run, or have a niggle bubbling under and just being a bit crap and lazy! Pleased to report that I clocked 11.5 miles for my long run and yes I DO feel better for having gone!image

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Rosie, could you go and do my long run for me today. I'm a bit tired image On second thoughts, perhaps you're not the best person to make that joke to. DO NOT TAKE SERIOUSLY! image

My next Murphy's Lore column in RW is about whether you should run if you don't feel like it and today has been the epitomy of that. I've been agonising all morning. My inner conversation: Perhaps I'm not 100%, so that's why I don't feel like going. Aah, but maybe I'm just being a lightweight and I need to grit my teeth and get on with it. But what if I end up making myself ill or injured? Hmm but I'll feel much better if I get it done. AAAHHHHH!

Anyway, I'm going. I bumped into a guy from my Saturday group as I was walking Sid this morning and told him I was doing it so I can't lose face now image

Hehe. All the best decisions are made while dog walking. image

• Fraser Wells wrote (see)
    Rosie - excellent. I'll be there too

Great! image 

Have you done it before? As Sam says - do you know what the course is like? I had a wee look at the map and it looked a bit trail-like in parts? 

Please say Hi if you get chance. Dug will be coming to watch I think so I should be easy to spot at the start/finish as he's 6mths and mildly insane at present..

• Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

Hurray - looks like you're sorted then! 

Think Sam has you sussed now - you'll not be getting away with anymore naughtiness LOL! Besides mcs knows all the tricks! Can I come on the Friday boat trip oscarr suggested? Sounds lovely!

Know what you mean about eating being a bit of a hassle some days - with Ben away I am really feeling like I have to make an effort!  When he's here I just make evening meals on autopilot! Thank goodness for my juices and shakes - at least I'm getting my vitamins and minerals - not sure the rest of my calories should be coming from cheese, chocolate, peanut butter and mince pies though (I am exaggerating a little - but you get my drift!) Might try the food diary myself - kick myself up the butt along with ya!

Aw, thanks. In a way I'm glad it's not just me, though obviously not glad it's a hassle for you. I can cook for others no problem too but don't seem very tuned into normal cues for eating when I'm on my own. Go for it with the food diary. If you are managing 4 solid foodstuff items as well as liquids you are actually doing better than me this week image... this diary business has proved interesting..

• oscarr, thanks for the tips and encouragement! - sorry I missed it, sounds a great talk. Sorry about the trip too. Hope you find a good alternative..
  • Emma and knight rider - hey, hope your training is going well. Sorry I'm a bit behind with your threads, my puppy ate my laptop charger at the weekend (entirely my fault for leaving it in a silly place, knowing he has a bad case of computer envy, and he's fine, though it was a tad expensive), so I've been trying to keep up by phone.. New cable has now arrived though so no more sneaky updates from work required
  • RUTH  MCKEAN wrote (see)

Rosie

MCS- carb loading is based on body weight. As a guideline you would be aiming for 10grams of carbs per kilogram of weight (however if you  carry a lot of extra weight then I would reduce the weight and hence carbs). So if you weighed 70kg then you should be aiming for 700grams of carb each day for   2-3 days before race with rest/very light running. I would  suggest you split this into 6 small meals or at least 3 meals and 3 decent snacks. If you send me roughly what you do I could demonstrate how tthis would work for you and then others could see what a carb loading day looks like. For females you may find 8g per kilogram of body weight is enough. Also may people will eat as if they are training in the days leading up to a race so may naturally carb load.

Thanks Ruth. I may even post it here, though only if everyone promises not to laugh, or not laugh much, or not where I can hear them, or something..

So, sessions this week:

Week 3: Day 2: Tuesday.

The plan was: 7 of 1M jog, then 4 x 1M (or 7 mins) fast, with 400m (3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

I did (on a treadmill so the paces were constant, though the view not as nice as normal:

1M at 9min/mile, 4x1M at 6:55min/mile with 400m jog recoveries at 9.15min/mile, then 1M at 9min/mile

found the fast bits relatively hard, but felt like a good session, and managed not to accidentally run 6miles too far this time - go me!

Day 3: Wednesday:

Plan says: 7M slow.

I did: 7M - outside (twice round Holyrood Park, so somewhat undulating again), slow(ish).

Day 4: Thursday:

Plan says: 4M steady

I did: 4M steady, again, in the park, this time up Arthur's seat to the summit then round the crags a bit - it's sunny and the park is only only nextdoor and I couldn't resist...

Paces for splits to follow - am in the uni library being studious* (again, go me!) at work and left garmin connector thing at home..

*studious in the sense that I'm posting on here, but I do have some journals open next to me too, which I will get to eventually once my e-procrastination is done I'm sure

• Simon Pryde wrote (see)
    Rosie A wrote (see)

Good luck for the xc tomorrow sleepy bear. I've just been watching the international races in Holyrood Park: amazing!

So, the GWR race this morning - 22:40. Gender position: 9th, 148th overall http://www.greatrun.org/Results/default.aspx?r=240&bib=697#

My average paces for the mile splits reflect the crazy hill (elevation of 309 according to garmin) and the wind the first mile and a bit..

Mile 1: 08:08

Mile 2: 07:21

Mile 3: 06:05

Mile 4: 06:11  

So, ok, sortof..? I felt fine finishing, but then immediately mildly sheepish as was a bit too fine and should have tried a bit harder? Timewise it's 23s slower than the last time I raced that course (2009), but I've been telling myself I'm loads less fit than I was then, which I clearly need to stop telling myself now, and just get on with training!

11M slow tomorrow, Yey!! image

Hey Rosie, good to see you in Edinburgh and well done to you and your mum (was looking out for for a young weimaraner attacking Kenenise Bekele when I watched the Cross country on the telly later but seems you avoided a "Fenton" moment!". Good time, too. Mine was 20.19 - bit disappointed not to break 20 mins, but it was tough! I got a bit carried away at the start chasing the car with the clock on it (felt like a proper athlete for 400 metres before realising it would be a good idea to wind it in a bit!). Would love to know splits.. MUST invest in a decent watch!

Anyway, seems like all's going well... keep up the good work! And thanks for the parking pass!!

Hey, good to see you both too. I was totally paranoid about Dug helping with the cross country so kept the poor thing on his lead while we were watching. Especially after the *incident* in the ornamental ponds outside the parliament building while the TV crews were filming for the news the other day..

Wow, chasing the car sounds fun. I never even saw the car I was so far back! That's a great time for that course. Looking forward to seeing how much you can improve your marathon time if you can do that for a 5K!

I didn't mention in my report of the race on here about my mum... My poor longsuffering mum had arranged to come up to stay for the weekend and found herself roped into doing the 5K. Not an easy course considering she hasn't run since her first 5K - which I am also to blame for image- in October. It was her birthday as well! She got a great time I thought though and seemed pretty happy about the whole thing (afterwards!). She still denies being a runner though. I'll win her round..

• Simon - that's a great time for that course and if you train properly who knows what you are capable of in the marathon - when's your next race and what distance?  Mum's are longsuffering aren't they !!!
  • HI Rosie,

Just found your blog from a Runners World e mail that got sent out to all users and was intersted in your training as I am aiming to break 3:30 this year in Brighton.  I'm intersted in following how your change of training is going. I have a PB of 3:38 and have managed that on 3 runs per week but have never taken any notice of slow runs or even much speed work come to that. I'm now mixing up some speed sessions (mostly on the treadmill), with long slow runs (9m p/m), recovery runs and marathon pace runs approx 4 times per week. It takes time getting used to the slow runs so will be following your progress.

Thanks - Andy

Andy

• Rosie - I've not done Buchlyvie before. Was down for it last year but of course it got postponed due to ice and I couldn't make the new date. I belive it's flat but the lion's share of it (out and back along the disused railway) is a bit uneven underfoot so maybe not genuine PB material. Will def try and spot you at the start complete with boinging Weimaraner. I don't think my wife and hound pack will be coming though
  • Apologies Rosie for this...........

RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Rosie

I have never been into counting calories or weighing stuff, I have only weighed myself this last six months due to doing more hill cycling and wanting to keep my weight down but now mara training again, this fuelling side of it all interests me as I dont to slam that wall again as in 2010. I weigh about 76 kilos as of this morning.  Do you actually weigh your food out then or is there a chart somewhere I could use? I use SIS gels in races only taking one for a half marathon and took four for the VLM in 2010 which on reflection was not enough as dont like Lucozade on the run, though had one before the race.  I have a desk job so dont use calories at work, running to and from or cycling. I tend to eat a jacket spud at lunch or toast, porridge for lunch, healthy balanced meals at night as I have several great cooks at home in my OH and two daughters still at home.

Happy weekend all bootiful day for running here, ran five miles along the trail to work, awesome day, gloves on as chilly but perfect for running.

• Rosie I'm VERY impressed how closely you've stuck to the plan this week, distance and pace wise. Good work! You will be justly rewarded with a double day in week 4 image

The plan is as follows - the only changes are that I've increased the pace of the 800m reps and also the rest interval. I've also 'rewarded' Rosie with a double day on Tuesday. I feel happier her doing a double day, with an easy run and a harder one rather than losing the CNRD! Think it's important she has a zero running day each week.

Week Four w/c 16/1/12 (31M
    Mon Rest (+ strength training)
    Tue
    Run 1) 3M easy.
    Run 2) 6M TOTAL CONSISTING of 1M jog, then 6 x 800m (or 3:20) fast (or 6 x 3 mins 30 at 6.40 per mile pace if easier), with 2.30 min (200m) jog recoveries, then 1M jog (may be good time to try out the track!)
    Wed 8M slow
    Thu 1M jog, then 3M brisk, then 1M jog (try to do this on flat, even surface)
    Fri Rest (+ strength training) COMPULSORY NO RUN DAY!
    Sat 4M easy
    Sun 10km race plus warm up and cooldown.

• Hi Rosie and every1else !

Not been on the computer much, been running instead !  It really is a good training aid not using it for a few days !

Oscarr, those marathon records you listed, they were just awesome, shame they are not yours !!

I have managed some good consistant running, 5 sessions last week (inc 10k race) and will be 5 this week.

Only ever run two 10k races but got a PB last Sunday on a very hilly course (Woodcote) - 49.16, I would think the hills add at least 5 minutes  to a normal 10k time. 

Good see that your dog eats electrical items, guess its high fiber and full of currents !!

FH 

• FH - Woodcote is just up the road from me (north Reading) - are you local ?
  • Oscarr, I am very local !! Live in Caversham and work in Sonning Common, what about you ?
  • I did woodcote 10k once...never again!! I'm burghfield common, south west reading
  • Good to see others on RW understand the pain I went through last Sunday, last 3 miles in almost all uphill !!

FH

• Andy, that’s a pretty similar PB to me – good luck for the 3:30! Brighton is the same day as Paris isn’t it (15.04.12)?

No worries mcs image

Thanks Sam!! Woo! I am stupidly happy about double run day. CNRD was tough yesterday, though managed it through a series of increasingly bizarre displacement activities. image

So, to training: Sadly long night with work means too late to get to parkrun as had hoped today, and tomorrow work is intervening with my plans too. Am thinking of mitigating this by doing the longer run from tomorrow, 13M, today and 4M tomorrow. Will be heading out as soon as I retrieve gloves from wherever Dug has squirrelled them this time..

Funny Hat – well done on the 10K! Yes, Dug seems very keen on exploring the nutritional benefits afforded by plastic/wood/just about anything at the moment. Mmm, plastic..