Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Lee

Comments

• ok - not much inside sub 7s and if it felt comfortable then hopefully it wouldn't have taken too much out of you

• Today felt like a struggle especially in the early miles, but again it was up early after a late night which may explain it. Still managed to complete the 9 miles in 58mins so it was on pace and it got easier and I started to wake up. I travel back overnight tonight so it will be interesting to see how that effects reps tomorrow!
  • another good solid training run. It will probably have some effect tomorrow so think it is important to ease into tomorrow's session and improve speed through session than start fast and risk slowing as you get more tired as the jet lag etc kicks in.
  • Lee: Hope you can at least enjoy some wamth and  get some much needed Vitamin D !
  • Definetly enjoyed Miami, the running was so easy, also on the last day I cross trained by kite surfing, coming away unscathed apart from a cut knee, at least I managed to avoid the portuguese man o war!

Steve tonight I will take your advice and start slow and build up, thanks for the advice.  I will miss the easy 4miles today, the first run on the plan I've skip......damn!

• Good luck with it. I'd be tempted to do first one at nearer marathon pace (ie 6:00-6:10) and then second one nearer half-marathon pace (5:40-5:45) and then aim to pick up the last 3 gradually and see if you can finish with a sub-5:20
  • Steve - a chap who helped me run my first marathon knows you. He a is a lovely chap called Dave Beatie - do you remember him?
  • Congratulations on making the team.  I voted for you because I have a similar target having run a PB of 2 hours 40 minutes and 28 seconds at the London Marathon last year.

I am looking forward to following your training and maybe borrowing a few of the training ideas from your coach,

Good luck.

• Hi Emma yes know Dave Beattie well and he is indeed a very friendly knowledgeable and highly experienced runner, having won the London to Brighton and completed it 20 times!.

Hi Russell - you look like you have similar short distance ability to Lee's and certainly have the raw basic pace requirements to break 2:40.

• Wow - I knew he'd run it and won it and thought he'd got the record or had the record for some time. But didn't realise he'd run it 20 times!

He gave talks lead some runs for the charity runners for St Catherine's Hospice in Crawley - every year he raises money for them when he runs the marathon. He still gets GFA places - and seems so relaxed about it all.

Every now and again I bump into him at events around the county ... I saw him running the wrong way at the Tunbridge Wells half in a St Catherine's vest - think he had gone back to support someone!

• Wow, London to brighton thats a bit too far!

Does anyone have a cure for jet lag, so far I am very dosy, nausius and very tired

Russell, Thank you for the support, how is your training going?

Steve, despite the jet lag I complete the session yesterday as you suggested.  I really didn't want to go but I was basically shoved out the door by my wife who pointed out I would regret it if I didn't run...a usefull in house motivator!  I ran 1.5miles warm-up, followed by the 1 x 5miles, gettting faster for  each one, start at 6:05 and increasing to 5:40, followed by 2.5 mile warm-down.  It was very tough, tiredness, jet-lag, change in temperature, hills.  But my wife was right I am pleased I completed it.

• Choisty, you seem to be ticking off the sessions quite well. you must be pleased with your progress so far?

yesterdays session sounds like a great acheivement given the circumstances and you're right to be pleased. I get that feeling of guilt when you miss a session (and so does my missus too so I have been kicked out the door on a few occasions).

maybe a few twiglets will sort your jetlag out? aren't they full of vitamin B (Among other things?)

• Excellent - well done on doing. It's easy to make excuses but it's doing sessions like this when you can easily not that makes the difference and it's the mentality you need in those last 4 miles in marathons when the body is screaming for you to stop or slow but you have to fight it to reach your target
  • Best fix for jetlag is to get back into the swing of thngs as soon as possible. If it is daylight, get outside, get active and let your body know it is day, if it is night, get into bed and under the covers and sleep.
  • Thanks for your advice I will use it go for a run at lunch time (I am at work an into a normal routine, its just hard).

I am pleased with how the training is going so far, my only concern has been it feels more a struggle than I would of hoped to get to and maintain the faster (10km) pace, so I am a little worried about my absolute pace, this said I have set a park run PB recently.  The endurance so far has been easy and I have enjoyed the extra miles, the tempo has felt like normal so I am satisfied there.

My usual completion rate fo training plans is 97% with around 101% of distance, is this the same for you?

• if your asking me choisty, i've not worked it out but my completion rate i would imagine is not great. I seemed to have suffered more than my fair share of injuries over the years and in a marathon build up I usully get ill once. last year for the VLM out of 16 weeks training i missed 2 weeks with illness and then i probably missed nearly another 2 weeks worth of running spread out through just being too busy or having exams and assignments to complete.

so if i can stay away from ill people and try and organise myself a bit better i think i can have a real good go at it this time

i would say 97% is pretty good going....

• Otis I am lucky that I have never suffered with anything other than an odd cold which can be run through.  Running as well as you do off of 75% completion is good going.
  • Choisty - training is going well thanks.  I live in Glasgow and there is a great bunch of runners from various club that meet up most lunchtimes.  We do sessions on Tuesday and Thursday and steady runs the rest of the week.

I ran the Glasgow Parkrun a few times over Christmas and New Year to counteract the extra drinking and eating and raced the Great Edinburgh Run 5k last week.  I am going to start ramping up the long runs from tomorrow where I will try to do about 16 miles.

I am trying to decide on a warm up half marathon in March.  It is between Inverness 11th March, Alloa or Liverpool both on 18th March. 

• If it makes any difference to you Russell, Liverpool doesn't count for Po10. At least it didn't in 2010 when I ran it anyway.
  • JohnFolJohnFol ✭✭✭

Great to hear what's been going on

JohnFol @ runningBug 

• Just managed to complete the second of the five milers, so now for race day down at stubbington. Lets hope its fun

Good to see you John
  • Have a good run - suggest try and run a sensible first few kilometres - ie start at around sub-35
  • see Lee did 35:58 - not sure how it went.
  • Race day has now come and gone, due to iPad being out of charge I have been out of internet action, so here is a summary of the day. 

Completed a 2 mile warm-up, feeling slightly heavy legged but at the same time didn't feel slow, so toed the line with anticipation.

It turned out to be a strange old race, started well enough and sensible, the first mile in 5:22, but it is downhill and with the wind, then I settled into my running going through 2 & 3, in 5:45, 5:40 respectively, knowing that 35:00 was bang on at halfway.  I then slowed to take a drink and struggled to get back into my rythem for around 300m, and then started to punch the wind (it was pretty strong) mile 4 completed in 5:55, not too bad I just need to up the pace.  This however proved impossible, I turned onto the coast path and into the teeth of the wind, as I was running on my own it halted my progress and I slowed still further turning in a 6:12 mile.  At the end of this mile I was caught by a couple of other runners who I could shelter behind, as we made our way into the last mile, during this time we picked-up the speed and places (4, I think); mile 6 was completed in 5:50, OK for a wind against mile.  The final sprint for 1/4 mile was at 5:25 pace to finish 23rd in 35:58 (or 35:57 chip).

How do I feel about the race....OK, disappointed with the time, OK with the placing, annoyed about the wind as it meant it wasn't a true test of my current pace.  This is after 62miles in the last week with jetlag, not much sleep and a transatlantic flight.  But much more positively, at the end I felt like I could run the same pace for another 10km, so the engine is fine, just needs some more tuning.

I then ran a 2mile warm-down and felt like running much further, what is marathon training doing to me?

• Steve, I have a few questions for you:

1. The fartlek session this week, how is it best run.  We have a club handicap (around 4miles) on Thursday could I use that?
    2. When will the next installment of the training plan be ready?  I have entered Wokingham half as week spoke about
    3. What would be a good ASICS half to run before Paris?
    4. What do you think of the performace yesterday?
  • Re Fartlek - yes do the Handicap run but you won't win it if you do as I suggest and run 2 minutes hard (at 5k-10k pace) and then 30 secs fast jog (marathon pace) and back to 10k pace etc for as long as you can

Wokingham will be fine - will post next month's training shortly

Asics Half - probably Fleet would be ok though 3 weeks before as reasonably close to you though entries are closed so Asics will have to assist.

If you were prepared perfectly and conditions were ideal then high 35s may be cause for concern but in circumstances it was still good speedwork. You can't always run good races if in hard training and less so if still possiblt jet laggged and in unfavourable conditions!

• Choisty, seems like a pretty good effort in tough conditions + weekly mileage + Jet lag. well done.

Question for Steve, I'm aiming for a 2:45 at this years VLM (which is probably my stretch goal, as choisty would put it). I have a 10k this weekend. If the conditions are good on the day, what time should i be looking at if my VLM target is realistic?

Thanks

Otis

• Well raced Choisty. Sounds like conditions and circs meant it wasn't a true test in some ways
  • Otis - basically a 2:45 equates to around 35 minutes for 10k though I was only running around 36 last time I broke 2:45 three years ago. However have also been in sub 34 shape before and couldn't break 2:45 then so no steadfast rule and lots of factors involved. I've known sub 33 10k runners who can't break 2:50.

To run 2:45 is 6:17 a mile and a sub 2:45 is possible as long as you can run a 10k at least 20 seconds  a mile faster (high 36s) but even more possible if you can do it 30 seconds (high 35s) or 40 seconds faster (high 34s)!