New Year...New runner

Comments

• Hi all, checking in to see how you're all doing.. and now feeling a bit intimidated! Great to see how enthusiastic everyone is, even if I'm not LOL. I have managed to stick to my C25K schedule though, and have increased my time from 21 mins to 29 mins and my distance from under 3k to 4.5. Can't say I'm feeling the running love yet though!
  • Evening all, hope you are all doing well and that the runs are being kind image

I have today been to collect my cross trainer and its now all set up waiting to be used tomorrow for my warm up to my first run image

Rachel - as for running 3 days, if you pace yourself you should be fine, but remember to listen to your body image

Roy - sorry forgot to call in and clean when I was over the water today, but you know after spending 2 days sorting one room at mine, I haven't got the energy image Did bring back lots of memories driving through liverpool though image

Hope to hear/read all your running reports soon

• It's Kirstin running 3 days.. and if I listen to my body, it says sit down with a glass of wine and some crisps, so I have to tell it to shut up! image
  • I like the style, sorry, been one of those days.

K - enjoy the 3 days image

• Just got in from work and a 4 mile run. Absolutely freezin today and the shorts wherent the way to go. I still havent ran in daylight yet lol.
    Went well but again going to fast,its in my head to go fast but i need to concentrate on going further.

Kirstin hows the runs going in lovely jock weather image?

Ange when is the grand opening of the gym?

Rachael....glass of rioja would go down.a treat right about now as cookin a steak mmm.

• I've opened a bottle of sauvignon blanc Mr W! Cheers! And made a chicken casserole, potato dauphinoise and courgettes! Yum! Got to keep the old strength up if I'm going to keep on with this running malarky!
  • image   .......................Hi, my name's Kirstin, and i'm a running failure image

Never made it out today........i know, not worthy, Jock weather roy is not dissimilar to when you walk around in the frozen foods section in the supermarket.......except unfortunately we don't get the sweet relief of going to the oven fresh section for a warm up. icey cold just now, got things to go over my trainers though for the snow or ice, lol...its a hott look.....much like the late night runs in the shorts Roy lolol. only kiddin.

Maam, big day is tomorrow....very excited for you!!! can't wait to hear how you get on.

so, need to punish myself tomorrow. gonna stay out twice as long as i'm scheduled to tomorrow, try run as much of that as i can. was supposed to be 45 mins so doing an hour and a half. got a 10 k route that i used to cover in just under an hour, will probs take me the hour and a half now. no pain no gain.

as for the wine guys......what you tryin to do to me........actually have had to just lock myself in my room to keep , my self from cracking open the merlot......what i'd give for a wee Tinto Lemonado...ice cold. image

• Didn't get out for my planned run as it was my birthday yesterday.. and had things planned for it today..on the upside hubby bought me some new running shoes!..have them laid out with my running gear so as to go tomorrow. its hubbys birthday tomorrow too so we are having a nice meal in the evening....this is what is going to get me out tomorrow morning...so j can enjoy lovely food and wine without feeling guilty.
    Will let you know if the new trainers make me run faster or longer!
  • Kirstin how come.you didn get out? Dont worry im not telling you off. Highly reccommend not wearing shorts in this weather things shrink hahaha..oh dear i bet that wasnt in the iceland advert!

Gem good on you for tomorrow.im on an afd in work so doubt ill get out. Afd = all f***** day. Not good but better bein by those log fires image.

Maam best of luck tomorrow....no pain no game. You can do it image
  • Kirstin ur not puttin asda bags around your shoes are you?
  • Happy belated birthday gem image good plan getting out, your meal will taste better after your run image unlike my dinner tonight, it was bitter with disappointment haha. image

Roy....at what point did shorts in January seem like a good idea hahaha shrinkage...too funny!

was just a walking zombie today, work was hectic.....and instead of just throwing my running gear on the second i got in so i didn't have time to sit down........i lay down......lay down and slept image woke up at 10 image now i feel as low as a bow-legged caterpillar lol, not a good feeling image have to get back on the horse tomorrow with a hop skip and a jump.

roughly how long are you managing to canter through your 4 miles? the route i'm going tomorrow will b between 6 n 7 miles but will be at my slow ass pace. x

• 33 mins today. Started off at reasonable pace but increased as i got further in. I woke up at 7am thinkin sod the run today too tired. As i got to work i woke up and the second i got in i put gear on and went out.

I really need to start puttin more miles on clock, gonna try it monday. Work will be chocca tomorrow.

Im just not a man for tights if you know what im saying. Shorts is the thing that seperates from feelin feminine in this weather. Although it takes more than the oven section in those supermarkets to warm things up hahahaha image

Really enjoy this thread btw you all seem a great bunch
  • ahahahaha asda bags, lol......would probably fit right in round these parts lol.

33 mins, thats amazin, so your clearing a mile in bout 8 mins, great going image i usually do just get the gear on straight away but tonight i was just totally spent, infuriating thing is i know i'd feel so much better for it now if i'd just went for it, tired or not image u got monday off? hahahaha everyone will be finishin their runs with a stretchin sesh beside the cooked chickens in morrisons. need to get the thermal briefs on roy lol.

Also, for the ladies, just seen an article in paper for good sports gear and Kelly Holmes (the Dame) has launched a line of sports bras for sainsburies clothing range Tu, retailing at 10 quid, look pretty good, same general shape as the shock absorbers but atleast 15 quid cheaper. maybe worth a look???

• Maybe try one.for.my double.A's image.moobs as they call them haha
  • I thought the mankini was for that....hahha.i dont think even icelands freezers are that cold
  • EUGHHH!!!!!! not the mankini lolol...........

Wish I felt safer running in the dark or i'd go a run now......wide awake, i'm such an idiot, kicking myself now image x

• Close ur eyes and.count to ten. Or if ur as sad as ne.listen to harry potter audio book on ipod read by stephen fry. Oh dear i sound less manly every second. Next ill be saying i like big brother image
  • AAAAHHHHHH please tell me your a Harry Potter super freek??? I have a wand and everythin, controls my TV haha.........i don't even care that i'm a geek hahaha x
  • What a way to start the morning! I've got up so I can go for my run, after warming up on the nice new cross trainer image but though get up early enough to have a musli bar for a bit of energy then come online for a bit before heading out, how much you have made me laugh and given me enthusiasm to go out where it looks white and frosty! Got to admit, going shopping will never be the same again, oh, and it's cooked chicken for dinner tonight image

Must confess the talk of wine does make me want to open a nice bottle of rose, but before 8am and a run prob not best time image

Roy - what super gym am I opening???? I though I just had a back bedroom, just coz it has stepper, cross trainer, gym ball and a selection of weights in it, not to mention the punch bag in the garage.  Carl (my other half) is into boxing and weights so seems a fair split image As for not wearing tights, you could try jogging bottoms! Freezing just isn't fun, says me about to go out in it.

Gem - sounds like you had a good birthday and having it the day before hubby, that just sounds like party time image

And ladies, as for missing a running day for whatever reason, don't beat yourselves up, we all have times like that and it doesn't mean you need to do extra the next session.  That's how injuries can happen. Just stick to your plan and build up gradually!!! Hey - that sounded like I might even know what I'm talking about.

Oh well, better go finish getting ready now. Plan to start the training at just gone 8 so will report back soon.

Very happy running everyone image

• Ok gear on here i go...and i too am a self confessed harry potter potter geek! I just pretend its my boys that are into him....going to the studio tour in the spring too....aaargh i am putting off running now..logging off be back in a bit.
  • My first run of 2012 is now completed, YIPEE!!!!! I did a 5 min warm up on the cross trainer, then ran 2.2 miles in 24:27 without stopping, cooled down for 5 mins on the stepper then did my sit ups and push ups, all in all a good morning and I'm feeling fantastic image

I know my speed may not be the quickest, but after illness and injury didn't want to push it. Felt so cold out, thought my ribs had frozen!

Roy - a guy passed me running in shorts! Can't imagine the shrinkage, I was in full length tights and long sleved top and was freezing!

Gem - good on you getting out, hope your having a good run.

Now to get ready for my breakfast, Sundays are cafe day and I vowed unless I did a full run I wasn't going, so best get going image

• Well done marmalade...its a gorgeous morning.. had a good run along the river..the mist coming off of it was spectacular. realised his much running is good for the soul ! Managed 5.4 miles in 57 mins. To be honest the last mile was pretty tough but mentally got through it. Now to shower and have birthday treats for the rest of the day.
  • Gem - brilliant effort, sounds like the run I used to do in manchester along the shipping canal, although not for as far! Very impressed with your run, and a bit jealous.  I'm still learning the area where I live now so run along a main A road image better than nothing though and it is a mental boost when you turn round half way image

Don't blame you for the birthday treats, you deserve them. I need to put my shoes on as the guys are ready to go for brekkie and I must admit, I'm starving!

Have a great day everyone, after all it is a beautiful day! I'm definately feeling good for my run image

• Ange made up for ya! Now its on to your next run cant wait image.

I might invest in some tracksters this week who knows, i went out at rush hour yesterday and had a few honks of horns. Ran past a couple who both had their tights on image.

Gem great progress loving the mileage. I just need to find a decent route round here to up the mileage.

Kirstin only read about ur wand as fell asleep to harry lastnight. Turning ur tv off wow...does alot more than mine! Lol. Love harry and lord of rings. Film geek here hehe.not gonna run today as got work soon till midnight but im off tomorrow wooo.
  • Hi,

I am new to this sort of thing, I was very sporty at school and wish to take up something for the new year! I have tried running outside and never enjoyed it (more of a treadmill gal). I think this was because don't like running outside on my own, but I am thinking of applying for some 5ks to begin with but have no idea where to look. Any help ou guys could provide would be great!
  • Hi all, and well done to you all!!! xx

I'm just back from my latest run, beautiful sunny morning, I ran along the sea wall and and even got pursued by a fella inviting me to join his running club! LOL! I must've looked a bit more professional than I am! I'm quite tempted actually. I'm still following my C25k programme and it's definitely getting easier.

Prue: I'm no expert but I think the Race for Life dates are out this coming week, and I can highly recommend these runs as a very supportive and stressfree way to try a 5k run. They seem to kappen all over the Uk, so I'm sure you could find a local one, they are usually in May/June, so you'll have a while to train (if you need it!).
  • Hi all, sounds like it is definately a running day!

Prue: If you're looking at 5k you could start by doing parkruns, they are 5k and free. I just googled parkrun to find my nearest one. From what I understand with them is you can even sign up on the day! As for other races I'm not sure as I haven't looked for any myself.  How much running have you done? What distance do you normallly cover, even if on a treadmill? Tready's are useful so please don't take that as a sarcastic reply image

Rachel - sounds like you are really getting on with witht he C25k, and more importantly enjoying it!

Hope you all have a good day, I'm off to fix my cross trainer, it is catching a bit. Doesn't stop it working, more annoying than anything else image Can't complain for £25 though image

• WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! MAAM, WELL DONE!!!!! u must be buzzing image

Everyone has had a good day by sounds of things image

I've got to admit i'm just up hahaha, terrible i no image

going out in about an hour for my run. looking forward to it image deciding wither to take the pup with me or not, sometimes he's really good and gets a right good exercixe then sleeps all night, other times he's an absolute nuiscence lol,

Welcome Pure image hopefully you'll get the running bug, though if your enjoying TM then keep with it image x

• Thanks K - enjoy your run. The pup will only sulk if you're getting a good run and it doesn't image x