Ouch!

Hi,

I have had a niggly pain for the last week or so, (run 3 times approx with it).
It's in the middle and side of my inner left calf. Not shin or rear calf muscle.

I tried massaging it, stretching it daily but it hasnt got better. I even put some Ibopufren gel.

It doesnt hurt when I stretch, just if I press on that particular area.

I didnt go running yesterday (last time I went running was Sunday) to rest it and Im due to run tomorrow, but not sure if I should.

Can you advice ? 

Thanks in advance image

Comments

• Slow_coach, sorry I didn't get around to your entry earlier. I've just seen your response on another thread. I think your entry seems very specific and therefore, I wasn't sure if it was also a calf tear.
    I noticed though, (as I have suffered from plantar fasciitis) that there is a comment about myofascial release of trigger points inthe same place you seem to be describing your pain, at the following address. (can't get links to work from Chrome)
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beating-injury/beat-plantar-pain/7554-6.html
    If you are getting any foot pain, it might be worth reading the whole article.
    Hope that helps.
    You'll still probably need to rest for a while, but it may help relieve the problems.
    Good luck image
  • R.I.C.E.R (rest ice compression elevation and rehabilitation). If your leg hurts and its not going away, from personal experience the best thing to do is to rest and wait for it to go. If it doesn't seem to go away see a doctor and they will be able to rule anything out, it could be many things and if it is any one of those many things, running on it will only make it worse which means it will take longer to recover.

I had a stress fracture, it had the exact same symptoms as yours but shin splints also do. I was diagnosed with a stress fracture about 2 months after the shin splints diagnosis after they ran a scan, I hadn't expected that sort of diagnosis and neither had the doctor who ordered the scans. I had to rest for a long while to get rid and then go back to running SLOWLY or I risked it coming back at me and taking longer to go away. With shin splints the method for recovery is pretty much the same. Difference is its a musclar rather then bone issue. I also had seen a physio prior to that who had wondered if it could be a problem with the muscles in the arches of my foot which were not very strong. I was able to kick and move my foot up and down fine but lifting the arch of my foot whilst keeping the rest of my foot fairly unused was impossible for me! I worked on building this up and I do think it helped.

If you can, try to train up the muscles around your body, your upper body, your thighs, your back/torso, also in your core and your balance (standing on one leg on a bosu ball with your eyes shut and lifting weights is a great thing to aim for!) It seemed to help me anyway I think it gave me something else to concerntrate on, helped me keep up my fitness and helped me when I did go back to run, have a little better posture.

It also goes without saying: decent nutrition and sleeping well, not too much walking (apparently it still counts as exercise if you do too much of it) and sleeping well all can make a difference.

• Juggler234 wrote (see)
    Slow_coach, sorry I didn't get around to your entry earlier. I've just seen your response on another thread. I think your entry seems very specific and therefore, I wasn't sure if it was also a calf tear. I noticed though, (as I have suffered from plantar fasciitis) that there is a comment about myofascial release of trigger points inthe same place you seem to be describing your pain, at the following address. (can't get links to work from Chrome) http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beating-injury/beat-plantar-pain/7554-6.html If you are getting any foot pain, it might be worth reading the whole article. Hope that helps. You'll still probably need to rest for a while, but it may help relieve the problems. Good luck image
    jennn wrote (see)

R.I.C.E.R (rest ice compression elevation and rehabilitation). If your leg hurts and its not going away, from personal experience the best thing to do is to rest and wait for it to go. If it doesn't seem to go away see a doctor and they will be able to rule anything out, it could be many things and if it is any one of those many things, running on it will only make it worse which means it will take longer to recover.

Hello pips thanks for your replies. Just thought I d update the thread. It was a case of bad shin splints. I had internal bruising and was very painful image

Had 6 weeks off running, and missed it a lot, but been back last week, building up slowly and so far so good!  Thanks for the good advice. Most important lesson I learnt is to listen to my body. It was complaining for a reason and I didnt listen. It wont happen again! image