Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Rosie

Comments

• Hi Guys,

I'm just catching up on the Forums after a busy few weeks. Well done Rosie the training looks to be going well. I'm impressed by your dedication to the plan. Looks like its going well so far. keep it going. 

Si - well done on that time. Gotta be happy with it so close to christmas and all the available ale. Looks like Martin O'Neill is doing a good job for the Black Cats aswell. image

As for my running. I'm doing the Jantastic spring motivation from www.marathontalk.com so keeping to at least 4 runs a week. Although did 5 last week. Since Boot Camp i have started doing a weekly track session with West Cheshire AC. Had the hardest session so far the other night. Did a 3 mile warm up followed by 5 * 600m with 1m rest followed by 400m with 2 mins rest. Tried to keep a steady pace but difficult when running with runners who are super fast. Felt it after the 3rd 1 but dug in with improvement in mind!

Also went out and bought a Garmin Forerunner 305. Had a couple of runs with it and its amazing. I reckon I will be a complete stats geek when I get fully into it.

Race wise I'm in for the Four Villages Half Marathon (As featured in RW this month) next weekend so hoping for a time around 95mins. Fingers crossed.

Has anyone else got some races lined up?

Off for an easy 4miles now as footy has been called off! 

• Edinburgh marathon may 27th.
    Wilmslow half march 25th
    Great north run sept 16th
    Great Longstone fell race sept
    Grindelford gallop march 10th a local 22 miler fell and trail race.
    So far so far.
  • Funny Hat wrote (see)
    Oscarr, I am very local !!   Live in Caversham and work in Sonning Common, what about you ?
    Caversham Heights - retired - do my club running with Reading Roadrunners based at Palmer Park and occasionaly join the Sweatshop run at 6.30pm on a Monday although haven't been for a while as I tend to take Monday as a rest day.  Will be doing the Reading half of course again this year.
  • Oscarr, that is funny you are just round the corner ! I am a member of Reading Roadrunners too, but rubbish at getting there because of work.

I will be running the Reading Half and a few more, see link below:-

www.olympicnick.com

Let me know if you fancy hooking up for a run, I do my longer runs Sunday or Tuesday as I work every Saturday.

FH
  • msc

i will get your carb loading up this week based on 760g of carbs per day in the three days before you race and see what you think.

Rosie - not sure you have got my email yet but waiting......

• Hey Rosie, hope you managed to fit in the long run yesterday without too much work hassle. Isn't the weather beautiful up here right now? Off to Blackford Hill to take Sid for a walk. He was so good on the train yesterday, he just seems to understand he has to sit still for 4.5 hours and turns into a kind of rag doll dog! If you're out doing your easy 4 miler today you might spot my husband Jeff running around Arthurs Seat. He's skinny with glasses and goes bloomin fast!image
  • mcs I'm doing the wilmslow half as well. Did it last year and ran 98mins so hoping for sub 95 this year. What ya aiming at?
  • Rosie

What about giving me a few examples of what you eat/drink  for breakfast?image

• Thanks Ruth will be interesting appreciate the advice.
    Porridge my breakfast staple with honey and raisins.......got some honeycomb honey from chatsworth estate lovely stuff!
    Did a nice eight miler over Great Longstone with brilliant views of Chatsworth, Bakewell, up to Buxton bit chilly but I was warm by the time I had run a mile uphill......
    Luke......I have done one forty nine as my pb half time........what is the wilmslow course like? Be interested to know.......ta.
  • mcs - it's great mate Ye. It's fairly flat but there are a few Peaks to catch you out so don't expect it to be Dead easy. It's def a PB course tho. Great atmosphere and a good route aswell.

Getting away after the race was a nightmare so this year I'm going to take a designated driver and have a couple in the club house afterwards. They have food on and that was a good laugh as well.

My favourite race so far!

• RUTH  MCKEAN wrote (see)

Rosie

What about giving me a few examples of what you eat/drink  for breakfast?image

Hi Ruth.

Sorry I didn’t get your email, but have decided to be brave and just post the horror that was my food diary image. No laughing people. Or not where I can hear you anyway.. image

Day 1:

2am (had neglected dinner the day before): cereal, banana, milk (approx. 400kcal), recovery drink (approx. 350kcal)

11pm: recovery drink, banana, apple

Also during the day: 1 x sports drink 500ml, approx 1litre apple juice, 500ml orange juice

Day 2:

5am: cereal, milk, banana, apple juice

1pm: sports drink

8pm: sports drink

11pm: recovery drink, soup, toast

Also during the day: orange juice approx 1litre

Day 3:

6am: cereal, milk, banana

9pm: bagel, banana, apple, recovery drink

11pm: apple juice, cereal, milk

Also during the day: sports drink x 1

Day 4 was worse, 3 days is apparently my limit for remembering I'm doing a food diary! image

So as you can see, I eat easily enough energy wise (my bmi is normal and weight is pretty stable on this anyway, so I think that's ok), but I think I rely way too much on sugary drinks for calorific intake - if I stop them I can lose weight quite fast and get cold/fatigued, so I end up back on them as being skinny is a hassle for me as I work outdoors a fair bIt and am a complete wuss about being cold.)

Part of the problem is I think I'm not very well tuned into normal cues for eating. I was unwell as a kid and so had a very long spell of TPN then PEG feeding, which seemed to switch off my attunement to a number of the psychological/social cues for eating. I do seem to do better around others though - I cook for other people and if they are eating I eat ok, but if left to my own devices it's a chore and I tend to take the quickest and easiest route to getting the calories.  

Any tips much appreciated!

• Thanks Luke, can empathise with the stats geek feeling! Good luck with the Four  Villages. I used to live in one of the four villages and there is lovely running round there isn’t there?

Sam, sorry only just saw your message - work was crazy hours last night, but was passed by a super speedy guy in glasses on both Queens Drive in the park and then again near to the meadows* not long after your post. If that was Jeff, I see what you mean about fast!  Hope you had a great weekend in Edinburgh. Did Sid like Blackford Hill? Glad he was chilled out on the train. Dug seems to do exactly the same and just sleep (I take him down the East Coast route quite a bit when have meetings in London etc), which is always a massive relief as I have no idea how we’d manage if he was boingy! Long run was fab on Saturday. Tried the faster effort at the end. Will post pace detail in a min.

*Slight confession is pending regarding the length of yesterday’s run. My stressed out brain seems to have interpreted 4M rather looselyimage. I’m preparing my excuses.. image

• How was everyone's weekend running?

I swapped Saturday and Sunday of week 3 of the schedule as work hours were a bit mad.  So Saturday was longer run: 13M according to the plan. I did endeavour for slow (it was supposed to be 2 hours), and was pretty pleased to do 13.37miles in 2:01, so almost exactly to plan!, though I did partly acheieve this by including lots of hills - is that cheating? - overall elevation gain during the run was 1076ft according to GPS. I tried the faster finish thing too, average pace for last mile was 6:57min/mile, which felt ok. How far out should I speed up when trying for a speedier finish on long runs in training?

After sticking remarkably to schedule on Saturday it all went a bit wrong Sunday though. imageimage I was supposed to be doing 4M easy (i.e. 8.45-9.00min/mile according to the plan), but was stressed about a Very Stressful Thing, and at risk of getting grumpy. I thus (consciously, not one of my accidents, so I do fully deserve telling off), ran a wee bit further than I should have while sorting out my head. Unfortunately sorting out my head took, according to garmin, 9.43miles. On the plus side my average pace for the whole escapade was 8:46min/mile, and the elevation gain only 794.

*awaits desereved telling off by all*

Rest today, and strength training, hoping to get to the gym later...

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Rosie, I'd say you have to trust your coach and if you're given instructions to run 4 miles then 4 miles it should be!  9.5 is more than double and changes things as far as recovery is concerned.  Could you not run the 4 miles then grab the dog and walk another X amount of miles to get it out of your system?  I have been working with a coach for the last 9 months and to begin with found it hard sometimes to stick to what I was told but I now appreciate that these sessions are set for a reason and if I want to achieve my goals I have to do exactly as I'm told (well almost image).  You've got a great chance of running sub 3:30 or quicker with the excellent guidance you're getting from Sam.  

I'm not even going to mention the diet! image

I must get my entry in for the Meadows.  Have you done yours yet?  I also did the Dunbar 10k last April (actually I think it maybe the same day as Paris). 

• Minni wrote (see)

Rosie, I'd say you have to trust your coach and if you're given instructions to run 4 miles then 4 miles it should be!  9.5 is more than double and changes things as far as recovery is concerned.  Could you not run the 4 miles then grab the dog and walk another X amount of miles to get it out of your system?  I have been working with a coach for the last 9 months and to begin with found it hard sometimes to stick to what I was told but I now appreciate that these sessions are set for a reason and if I want to achieve my goals I have to do exactly as I'm told (well almost image).  You've got a great chance of running sub 3:30 or quicker with the excellent guidance you're getting from Sam.  

I'm not even going to mention the diet! image

I must get my entry in for the Meadows.  Have you done yours yet?  I also did the Dunbar 10k last April (actually I think it maybe the same day as Paris). 

You're right, Minni, and I was suitably wracked with guilt after it. I guess old habits can be hard to shift, and now I know stress is a trigger for slipping back into less effective habits I need to work on that. Have complied a list of alternative stress management strategies for the Very Stressful Thing, and dog walk is at number one... Am also skipping the easy run I have been doing on rest day today as a learning experience for myself/to give the legs a break. If I am fidgety after the gym, heading to the pool for an easy swim is the plan. 

Yes, entry is in for Meadows, before I started Paris training was going to do the full 26.2 but have changed it to half after Sam's advice. I haven't done Dunbar 10K before (have not really done many 10K's before, as always tended to be running further, slowly and ineffectively!) Will look it up, maybe one for next year...

• *waggy finger* tut tut

But we still love you so don't beat yourself up too much now - spilt milk and all that.  You know yourself that you shouldn't have done it and that it was a mistake but it was just that and you're human - it's not the end of the world!  Listen to Sam, learn and move on!

Hope you're well on the way to de-stressing now - that would probably do you more harm than an extra bit of running! Nothing more likely to bring on a stinky cold!

ps - I used to virtually live on a liquid diet (though mainly fruit and veg juices) but one of my favourite lunches now is a yoghurt pot full of dried fruit, nuts and seeds.  We keep an old Haribo tub full of an assortment  and just dip our yog pots in every day - minimum fuss, plenty of calories and loads of nutrients, when it's empty refill and repeat.  Don't know if Ruth'd approve - but it's an idea to start you eating more nutritious foods easily! image

• Rosie - I do hope Ruth sorts your diet out asap cos I worry about you not getting a balanced enough intake - it maybe ok at the moment but as the training volume and intensity increases over the next 3 months you will need good daily fuelling.  On the plus side, good that you were brave enough to share your diet on the forum - me thinks that's a request for some help!!  Keep going Rosie, we're all rooting for you.
  • I tried to go out on a 4 mile run on saturday with the RW programme in my Garmin. I got shouted at the whole way round for going too fast and ended up doing 6 miles. Think i need to learn some control as well Rosie!
  • Rosie !!! Naughty naughty, very naughty indeed !!

Looking forward to Ruths comments/views on diet, no expert, but I think she could add a few things that will help you be a better runner.

Glad you are getting the runs in Rosie, looking forward to your progress this week and beyond !

FH
  • Funny Hat wrote (see)
    Oscarr, that is funny you are just round the corner !  I am a member of Reading Roadrunners too, but rubbish at getting there because of work.

I will be running the Reading Half and a few more, see link below:-

www.olympicnick.com

Let me know if you fancy hooking up for a run, I do my longer runs Sunday or Tuesday as I work every Saturday.

FH
    FH - nice web site and good luck with the fund raising - will be on the start line with you at Reading and Coniston.
  • Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

*waggy finger* tut tut

But we still love you so don't beat yourself up too much now - spilt milk and all that.  You know yourself that you shouldn't have done it and that it was a mistake but it was just that and you're human - it's not the end of the world!  Listen to Sam, learn and move on!

Hope you're well on the way to de-stressing now - that would probably do you more harm than an extra bit of running! Nothing more likely to bring on a stinky cold!

ps - I used to virtually live on a liquid diet (though mainly fruit and veg juices) but one of my favourite lunches now is a yoghurt pot full of dried fruit, nuts and seeds.  We keep an old Haribo tub full of an assortment  and just dip our yog pots in every day - minimum fuss, plenty of calories and loads of nutrients, when it's empty refill and repeat.  Don't know if Ruth'd approve - but it's an idea to start you eating more nutritious foods easily! image

Aw, thanks Sleepy Bear. Somehow your posts always make me feel better..image Think I have a handle on the Very Stressful Thing now. Am still thinking of heading to the pool tonight for a bit of thinking while swimming, but in a much better place than yesterday. Hope things are ok with you.

Was so reassuring to know I'm not the only one who has been through liquid diet phases. I sometimes decide I'm going to try to eat stuff that would not be categorised as breakfast food or a sports drink, and buy vegetables and fruit but do the same and just end up juicing them as I can't seem to motivate myself to do much else with them. Cereal was a big advance for me in it's solidity not long ago. Before that my diet was worse image. It's not that I can't - I'm happy to cook for others, seems to be a motivation thing mostly. I'm loving the haribo tub of seeds and dried fruit idea though. I need stuff that's easy to do as actually part of my problem is laziness, and as I'm not that motivated by food I don't allow time for it. I shall perhaps put in one of my rare appearances at the supermarket later and see what I can find for the purpose..   

• Luke Ellis 2 wrote (see)
    I tried to go out on a 4 mile run on saturday with the RW programme in my Garmin. I got shouted at the whole way round for going too fast and ended up doing 6 miles. Think i need to learn some control as well Rosie!

Phew, glad it's not just me, Luke! image I've never dared turn on the function where the garmin alerts you to the error of your ways. Mine has always been silent, and for reference only. After the crimes of this weekend I suspect I may need a bit of shouting at though. The pace stuff sounds useful too. I shall experiment I think..

Thanks, Funny Hat. I should be at Reading as well so maybe see you and oscarr there. image

• Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

ps - I used to virtually live on a liquid diet (though mainly fruit and veg juices) but one of my favourite lunches now is a yoghurt pot full of dried fruit, nuts and seeds.  We keep an old Haribo tub full of an assortment  and just dip our yog pots in every day - minimum fuss, plenty of calories and loads of nutrients, when it's empty refill and repeat. 

SB - great idea - just come back from supermarket with seeds, mixed nuts and loads of dried fruit and mixed me sel a cocktail for snacks instead of biscuits - thanks
  • Why don't you cook for us on here Rosie you need food or you will crash and burn. I have had a niece in hospital in France due to eating issues she is just alive. Please cook you only have one body.
    My diet today has been breakfast tea and toast and banana.
    Snack of nuts and raisins handful with coffee 10ish.
    Lunch jacket spud, mackerel and a little cheese. Apple and orange.
    Tea to come stir fry and wedding anniversary cake my mum made us.
    Six miles today requires fuel as well as eight hours work too!!
    Everybody is different and has different requirements but the human body, male or female needs a balanced diet!!!!
    Yours concerned.
    You can do it just look after yourself or your running goal won't happen.
  • You're welcome guys - make sure you check out the home baking aisle - you can buy a whole range of things way, way cheaper than the wholefood section. It's where I pick up my walnuts, hazelnuts and dried fruit. Currently consider lucky dips those that contain either goji berries or mango pieces (I'm sure they hide down at the bottom!) I usually add something "special" (more expensive) in on top of the cheaper staple baking aisle bits. Plus Rosie - you can take your tub to work/out on site! 

mcs is right Rosie - with the sort of miles you do - you must eat! Don't make me come up there....image

• Rosie - CNRD should become Compulsary Baking day (CBD), use the time you would be running to do some baking/ cooking for the week! Freeze it in tubs then it takes the hassle out of having to shop/ cook when you're tired after work/ training.
  • Rosie - we may have to go on a rota to get you eating properly !  have you ever considered ready cooked meals you can get at supermarkets - quick and easy and at least it will get you started.
  • Liking Sal's idea - even simple things like butternut & carrot soup with crusty bread and spag bog are quick and easy and definitely freezable!

Decent nutrition and a good dose of regular resting and you are gonna be flyin' Miss Rosie-kins image

• mcs, sorry to hear about your niece. Eating issues when severe like that can be horrendous for friends and family I know. I’ve been in that position of watching people suffer. I wish there was something I could say to help. I really hope she finds a way through it all soon.

Thanks for the supermarket tips SleepyBear. I get so disorientated in those places it’s good to know where to head..

I’m liking the compulsory baking day idea, sal. image

After on call superceded trip to shops last night I’m off there this afternoon for supplies, then to training. Today’s session from the plan looks quite tough so need to fuel-up first I think..

Happy Tuesday everyone..