Options

Altitude training

For some weird reason i've signed up for a 19 mile mountain race in the summer. Does anyone have any experience of mountain racing and how to prepare for such an event?

Comments

• Options
    Run up big hills.
    Then run back down.
    Repeat as necessary.
  • Options
    Wise words...A note has been made.
  • Options
    Crazy Fool ! image

Well there's no heights in the UK where you can train for Altitude. I think you can train in a box in a London gym that simulates altitude, but that's pricey.

How high are you running ? Probably the best thing you can do is to get there a bit early and try and get used to it.
  • Options
    You're very welcome image

But as Cougie says how high are you running?
    I think* anything under 7500 has minimal effects on the body with obviously increasing effect as you go higher. I know the common wisdom for running Leadville is either get there three weeks early to acclimatise or a day or so before so the body doesn't have the time to understand what's happening
  • Options

I've been looking at various altitude tents but yes they are hugely expensive. I think the race starts at 800m goes to about 3000m then finishes at 2200m.

I've got 5-6 days booked in June out where the race takes place to try and work out whereabouts exactly on the course i'm going to pass out on race day!!  I'm also going back out there 5 days before the race itself to get in some last minute training and to get out the big prayer mat.

I've also looked at various altitude training masks you can buy but they look ever so slightly odd to say the least.

• Options
    I'm sure I read the mask thing is b*llox somewhere.
  • Options

I tend to agree.. And big hairy ones at that.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I don't think passing through 3,000m will give you altitude sickness. 

You will feel short of breath, probably, but then you will be running, and on hills!

• Options

Haven't done altitude training, but have run while on ski holidays, staying in a resort height of  2050m. 

I used to do a few miles up and down the mountain in the afternoons, shuttling between our resort and the next one down which was 1800m.

It was OK going down, bit of a b*gger coming back up.  I didn't find it any different other than I would get more breathless and find my HR higher than when bimbling around at home, but having sorted that out on the first day, had no problems after that.  Coming back up was just like doing continuous miles of hills.image

• Options
    Well it sounds like its going to be a breeze in that case!! I'll still go out to the mountains in June and just tell the missus that i've been advised to put in as much altitude training as possible..Doctors orders!
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Wilkie wrote (see)

I don't think passing through 3,000m will give you altitude sickness. 

You will feel short of breath, probably, but then you will be running, and on hills!

Sounds about right.  I've been up to 5,500m (not running!) and I don't recall much going on at 3,000m other than a little thinning of the air.  Best you can do is get as aerobically fit as possible and run up and down lots of hilly stuff.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input guys.. Looks like i'm going to have to find myself a hill or 2 and then make them my friends for the next few months.
  • Options
    All true above Andy, I did the CCC last year quite a bit was spent over 3000m with no adverse effects, there were no issues with the altitude whatdoever
  • Options

Cheers Irish. Only reason i'm doing this race is because i was  holidaying last  year in the village where the race finishes and watched a load of kids ( 12-16 years old) complete the run. I stupidly thought if they can do it i certainly can.

I didn't exactly do my homework and i just came home,signed up and paid my money. Several weeks after entering i then found out that the kids dont do the full course. They do just under half  distance.

Well done me!

• Options
    What race is it Andy?
  • Options
    It Sierre to Zinal mountain race. Takes place in August.
  • Options
    I've just noticed your London irish emblem. Sarries man myself and i see that nice Mr Ashton has just signed for us.