Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• Hi Sam - Welcome back to Sussex! Much milder today so a good day to return - 'Jack Frost hasn't been this morning' as my 4 year old would tell me... 'who is Jack Frost Mummy?'.

Sorry about the 7 mile run - there was one lap at over 10... I did feel tired but was quite comfortable.

It would be fab if we could do the long run on the Saturday as it would really help with my child care! imageI guess I would be looking to do 2hours 20 for 14 miles?

I'll definately be sticking to prescribed paces in future - sorry!image I'm going to do pace session on a treadmill so my paces will be exact.

Tight calf this morning so glad of rest day today- will do my strength work and some stretches this evening. I have also been trying so hard to eat better - I've even invented a healthy vegetable oven bake (only because the veg was going to go off). Don't think my fatigue is lack of food - more likely my children keeping me up at night!

• The calorie whatsit gives me exactly 100KCal per mile - I guess it will be this more as I never run  on a completely flat road (apart from at track).image
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I like the formula. If I lose weight, that's good. But if I gain weight I'll burn off more calories per mile during a run, so that's good too! It's a win-win situation!

• Interesting formula thanks Sam.............so to maintain weight I need to keep eating loads,great newsimage

The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken.

keep running Emma.............!!! My youngest woke me up at 4am yesterday due to feeling cold and climbed in to then keep me awake so I know what its like. She didn't sleep through till she went to school!!! image

• oh well - an extra mince pie for me then! image Shame!! 92 kcal per mile - boo! Think I'll put some weight on and apply Tenjiso's theory!

Maybe your Garmin is like my Polar - it's a bit temperamental in extreme cold/wet and comes out with some nonsense!

If it makes you feel any better Rascal decided to have a dream last night at about 4am and was 'running' in her sleep whilst still laying on her side so I got "pawed" for a bit. (Ssssh don't tell Ben she was sleeping on the bed in the first place). Had to push her over on to his side of the bed - she made the funniest little mewling sound but didn't wake up! HR on waking was 4 beats higher than normal - so I reckon disrupted sleep does make a difference.  Still, just been out for a lovely 7½ miles with my friend and I felt ok once I got going! isn't that always the way?

Am glad it's not just me that "invents" things in the kitchen!  Chicken enchilada surprise is my fave way to use up all sorts!

Happy rest day! 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Re: the garmin

Have you input details about your current weight? I've got a forerunner 305 and the calorie count is worked out according to how much you weigh as well as distance.

Top Tip: Enter a really high weight and burn up extra calories each time you run image

I'm a bit of a weight-loss guru IMHO.
  • EmmaC wrote (see)
    I did have a naughty dinner last night - steak burgers, homemade chips, stuffed mushrooms and salad! But I had been so good all day and knew I was running 12 miles in the morning! Saturday- I had to avoid fruit before I ran so had small bowl of special k and 2 slices of toasted rye bread with peanut butter(thin) and coffee- no sugar! Lunch - choked grapes and apple with low fat yog and fruit and nut sprinkles and 3 slices of malt loaf( wad end of packet) Snak- low fat biscuits - garibaldis Dinner- roast chicken and veg (only 3 mini potatoes) low fat strawberry yog. Think things have been much better on the food front!
    Emma: may be a good idea to get your pre race breakfast sorted so we can make sure you have little to no problems with tstomach on race day (we will also need to work on eating 2 days prior to race) . So when possible on your long runs over 90minutes eat  and drink what you think you will be doing on  race day. Then any races between how and April you can put the full plan in motion.  The breakfast could be porridge/special K other cereal, yoghurt, banana etc with some variety of bread, some people will just have cereal some will have pasta some will have bread, some will have all three! You need to work out volume you can consume (do not eat until you are full, just satisfied), the timings (often between 2-4 hours before but those that eat 4 hours before usually will have a light snack a couple of hours before. Fruit intake is great! Still focus on no sugar added to food and  and limit  low  nutrient value snacks (sweets, biscuits etc ).  
    1. Tenjiso - I really think that taking carbs on board during a long race/training run makes a difference and there is a lot of research to back it up. There's quite a lot of talk about something called the 'train low, race high' strategy at the moment which refers to training without taking carbs on board, to force your body to burn fat, but then using carbs come race day to maximise performance. Quite an interesting idea but I haven't yet experimented with it in my long runs. What I have done over the last couple of months though is to reduce my use of sports drinks and only use them for long runs (100 mins plus) instead of relying on them more widely.
      Ruth will correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have thought 200ml of sports drink wasn't really enough to have much impact on blood glucose. It's reckoned you need 30-60g of carbs per hour and you'd need 500ml to provide 30g. Apols if I've got this slightly wrong - am away from home so can't check my files. Think I'm right though!image

This train low in carbs but race high has def. got some good research behind it. Basically by training in a glycogen depleted state  it forces our bodies physiology to adapt  in a postive way (alters gene expression). When you start training for a marathon there are a lot of changes that occur in your body to make you run more efficiently and hence fittness gains. Elite endurance athletes will often do some training sessions in a glycogen depleted  but often will do  this naturally  due to the nature of  high mileage and intensity  but they will make sure they are carb load before  events such as the marathon . Middle distance runners may have to plan to deplete their stores as they do less total volume than marathon runners. To the general club runner I would say that if you can do some long morning runs before breakfast then do so but you are likely to take longer to recovery/feel more tired for the rest of the day (so if got other committments consider this) and I also think it can increase the risk of immunity issues if done too often in those prone to picking up colds/infections etc . The research has not yet confirmed how it is best  to approach the  "train low, compete high" but elites are using this but  probably do phases of their training in a low state and other phases of training with sufficient carbs.

I agree with sam any runs longer than 90minutes (certainly 2 hours) you need to be taking on 25-50g of carbs per hour and drink as and when you feel. Some will use sports drink (although the volume of sports drink you may need to drink to get sufficient carbs will be too much for some and hence some use gels or a mixture of both). 200ml of sports drink will only provide 12-14g of carbs although for some they may get away with this in the first hour but most people would need to increase this as race progress but for most 25-50g of carbs should be the aim until they know they can increase or decrease this.

• Hi Ruth - That was a particularly naughty day! This week I've been really trying...and feeling a bit hungry too! So unlike Rosie - If I'm not eating I'm thinking about food!

I'm still not having sugar in tea or coffe or on cereal!

Monday - Breakfast - grapes, apple, low fat yog, fruit and nut sprinkles and cup of tea (no sugar)

Lunch - malt loaf, 2 slices of rye bread with peanut butter, bananas x 2

Dinner - Jacket potato veggie bake in a tomato sauce with grated cheese! Low fat strawberry yog.

Had similar food all week. On Saturday my tummy was fine so I was really pleased (first time I've done a long run without tummy cramps for ages!). I'll look back at what I had for dinner and lunch previous day... maybe the steak burgers were ok afterall!?

I've struggled towards the end of my shorter evening runs this week - with sore tummy and having to visit the smallest room as soon as I got back home. Not sure why there is this difference? Possibly the additional fruit - even though it was in the morning?

Think that the food I've been eating is generally lower GI so my energy levels and my moods have been much more positive and steady - hope I can keep this up! Hopefully I'll loose a little weight too! 

• Tenjiso wrote (see)
    Re: the garmin Have you input details about your current weight? I've got a forerunner 305 and the calorie count is worked out according to how much you weigh as well as distance. Top Tip: Enter a really high weight and burn up extra calories each time you run image I'm a bit of a weight-loss guru IMHO.
    I think I will ammend it so I am a 20 year old, 15 stone man! Then I'll burn off loads of calories!
  • Hi

Emma when you add your splits does that download from your Garmin & are you able to extract the mile times? Or do you find them some other way? I'm not sure my 305 does that I've tried to work out how but it's escaping me at the moment....

I may have missed something earlier but do you ever eat porridge for breakfast before your morning run? My "long run" breakfast is always porridge, banana, unrefined sugar (not too much) and it works so well for me that I can run 10miles+ before I feel like I need anything else...
  • Lozza - my Garmin is set up for mile spilts - not by me it was like that when I got it thankfully. So when I upload data the splits are on there for me. I'm going to try and use it at the gym to do my speedy session and just press the lap button between sets and see if it will calculate it all for me? Fingers crossed!image

I've had bad experiences after porridge - not energy wise but upset tummy wise! I have to be so careful before a long run and often have to plan in pit stops!image I'm ok energy wise up to about 2 hours then I start to flag a little.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Ruth - thanks for the additional info on carb loading strategy. Unfortunately, having two nippers means I'm subjected to every cold/flu/virus that does the rounds. They catch a cold for two days, then I suffer for weeks. Increased immunity issues are, for me, best avoided.

Lozza - have you registered with Garmin Connect (connect.garmin.com)? You can upload your data for free, see your route/heart rate/incline and so on. It's much better than the training centre software they provide with the watch. You just connect the 305 to the internet via the USB cable (attached to the charger).
  • I'm getting a polar foot pod for my brithday!!

* dances around like a small child *

Then I too can get all exited about paces and distances - whoop whoop

(not that I'm jealous or anything... MUCH! LOL) 

• Sweat shop have half price garmins on sale at the moment..............

My bday is Monday the big 50!

Happy running Emma.

• Next month! Last one before the big four Oh! My goal was to run a sub 45 10k by then - so that pretty much leaves this season - hmmm - might have to adjust that to sub 45 whilst I am sub 45! hee hee Too many goals - so little time!

Sad that I still get excited about them and that I ask for what some people would class as 'practical' presents LOL

You running today?  I'm just heading out now....

• We've all got big birthdays comming up - boo!

Sub 45 by any age I think is AMAZING! After the marathon I am going to try and chip away at my 10k - 51:22 at the moment. Not impressive really - but has come down from 61 in less than 2 years so think it is quite good progress. Can't imagine going faster though as I felt like I was going to die during that race! More focussed preparation hopefully will make a difference! Would be absolutely over the moon if I could do a subb 50! So I'm sub fifty by fifty!

Not running today - work from 7:30  - 9:30! Short days and long holidays my a***!

I love practical presents - got a casserole dish for christmas!

Happy Birthday for Monday Mark - hope you are going to be spolit rotten!image

• Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

Next month! Last one before the big four Oh! My goal was to run a sub 45 10k by then - so that pretty much leaves this season - hmmm - might have to adjust that to sub 45 whilst I am sub 45! hee hee Too many goals - so little time!

Sad that I still get excited about them and that I ask for what some people would class as 'practical' presents LOL

You running today?  I'm just heading out now....

I had one of my best years running when I turned 40 Sleepy (and still going fingers crossed!). Good to have a goal though as it gives you a bit of focus and it was more a change in training rather than age that spurred me on, just adding one extra day running per week, but running the right kind of runs rather than for the sake of it.

Emma, my wife she wanted an /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif[/img]fficial&prmd=imvnso&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1727&bih=875&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15425604438416368554&sa=X&ei=wlEYT57BHcvDtAaunYzGDQ&ved=0CEIQ8wIwAA]Orla Kiely butter dish for her birthday!

• KR - Picture didn't come out but I can work out it was a rather funky orla keily butter dish! We are the same age and clearly have similar tastes! Hopefully this wll be my finest running year - big 40 in September!

Despite turning 40 I am planning on being in good enough shape to wear a bikini on holiday - will be the first time in nearly a decade if I do!

• That's good to hear KR image

Happy Birthday to Us Happy Birthday to US lalalalalalalala 

Have a great day on Monday mcs!

Emma - as long as I keep getting faster I'm happy really but you've got to aim to get somewhere else ya ain't gonna get anywhere! It's only the last 2 that I've run that I astoundingly felt relatively comfortable at that pace - all the preceding ones were horrendous - it's been my least favourite distance until that happened! I don't care if it takes me forever to get that sub 45 - other people manage so it must be doable - must keep trying, must keep trying! We'll get there!

• You guys should just enjoy the fact that its proven that you can physicaly still improve race times well into your 40's - it's only into your 50's when it gets a lot harder.  I'm coming up 60 in a years time and simply have to do an age adjustment to my times to see how i'm doing - this is the  beauty of the marathon for me cos i know i can beat my current PB (started them at 54) with smarter training, not more training and I think this spring will do it.

Whatever your age, just being able to run and race is so much fun and there are many different challenges out there - if I make my sub 4hr target this spring I intend to do more trail type long runs where time is of no consequence but the views and challenge are great - just bought a half price Camelbak to boot !!!

You are only as young as you feel..............!  

• I too had a cracking running year when I turned 40. New PBs at 10k, 10 mile and half marathon all within a 4 month block! And I have a running friend/coach Malcolm Balk, who is 56 and has just run a 1.20 half marathon while his wife, who is about 43, did a sub-20 5km. So it CAN be done! Don't feel like time is running out. As you get older you just train smarter, not harder. image

Have had two days of coaching (street fartlek last night with 14 runners, and then Bedgebury forest with two runners looking to improve technique today) All good run but sometimes my own training gets derailed when I am doing a lot of coaching image

Hope today's marathon work day hasn't been too bad, Emma! And brilliant upkeep of the healthy eating plan. Just keep tabs on those energy levels. If you start to feel consistently more tired, it may be due to calorie deficit.  Don't overdo it. Just think you'll burn about 2500 calories on race day anyway! image

• Age is just a number they say!!
  • the good thing about modern day races is that they publish results by age category so you can always compete no matter how old you are - the first coach at my club is age 75 and he thinks it's great getting a top 3 place in most of the races he enters (not many 70+ enter i grant you that!!) and he's still doing marathons !!! (mostly alpine ones etc) - good ol' Tom!
  • Tenjiso - Brilliant, I've spent the last hour or two working out Garmin Connect and yes it's far superior to the software from the box - Thanks

Oscarr - Whatever your age... Excellent and I totally agree - anything's possible the power of positive thinking(well most things!)
  • Hi All back from work - v tired and have a stonking headache! Just stuffed my face as I got home - mainly due to being so tired I think.

Breakfast- chopped fruit breakfast (as per usual now), cup of tea

Snack -  mixed nuts

Lunch - 2 x rye bread with peanut butter, 2 x malt loaf, strawberry yoghurt.

Snack - fruit and low fat yoghurt (like breakfast)

Dinner - 1/2 think crust pizza, 1/2 jacket, salad, 3 slices of malt lof (oopsie but I felt like I deserved a treat as was so late back!).

40 is the new 30 - I so hope that my running can get better this year! I move in to a new vets category for the Grand Prix events this year - trouble is V2 is actually stronger than V1!

One of the women at our club is in her 80's and still racing - she came back from the European champs with a load of medals... she is a legend!

• Hello all

Emma - hope you had a good sleep after you long day!

At 46 I don't know if I have "Go Faster" in me..but I'll keep trying!

• Hi Emma, is it your day off today? Hope so! I don't call that dinner pigging out - least you had salad image 
    If you could get a bit of salad/veg in at lunchtime I think you'd be on to a winner. Even ready prepared carrot batons, or celery sticks? Or a handful of cherry tomatoes?

What's on the running schedule today again? We did so much juggling I've lost track this week! Thinik it might be an easy one though.