New Year...New runner

Comments

• hey claire, go you hang over running is the work of the devil, well done you on powering through image get some ice on the groin, nothing worse than a groin pull. don't get bogged down bout weight, it can be so unpredictable and loads of other factors will affect it. you should take your measurements too, as there can be vweeks you dont lose weight but r droppin inches off waist hips etc, i found this a lot wen i was following slimming world strictly. going straight back on it after my birthday at end of the month image x
  • Flightyrachel, well done on signing up for race for life, it's something I want to do this year. How does it work? Do u have to pay to enter? Do u then get sponsorship to raise money? I too have promised myself a new pair of trainers and some proper running gear.
  • What a long shift! Busy day just got In image deffo not going out for a run now I'll wait till daylight breaks.

KIrstin and ange it is a Mitchell's and butler pub and the brand is a vintage inn pub.we have the log fires, very busy for food. Glad to see you rested KIrstin no need to push it mate. But get ur dominos ass to the running shop image! My orders image (remember 40 sterling)

Did everyone get out today? How are you all?

Can't wait to go bed now Zzzzzz
  • Morning all, I'm off to sweatshop today to buy new trainers. Also have a confession to make, I'm only partly a beginner... In 2008 I ran the London Marathon VERY SLOWLY, but since then I've had two kids and stopped running. So even though I'm not really a total beginner, I'm a beginner-again, which is pretty much the same thing!
    I'm in week two of the eight week programme to get you running for a solid half hour. This week I'm on running for 2 mins, walking for 1 min seven times. I did it once and it was ok but I wouldn't call what I'm doing 'running', it's more of a shuffle. I do it around 8.30 once the kids are asleep. In a way it's annoying because I can't listen to music while running (don't feel safe doing it on dark streets) but the plus side is hardly anyone's around so I don't feel self conscious about my style or my wobbly bits!

Ange I look forward to hearing how the garmin goes.

K-Anne, I'm doing weight watchers online, the app for iPhone is really great and I don't feel too deprived. Really recommend it. I was 13 and a half stone two and a half weeks ago and now weigh just under 13. My goal is 9 and a half stone sometime this year, which is how much I weighed before getting married, having kids etc. I've been 'running' for a week and a half.

Keep it up everyone, you're doing brilliantly!!!
  • PS doing a race for life is a great idea, thanks guys - think I'll sign up to one now!
  • Hey apm

firstly congrats on the london.im jealous because that is my ultimate. The good thing is you know what to expect along the route of training. I guess if we all keep mitivated then we will all get there. Im also the same as u...u run generally very late at night but havent tried the music yet.

Cheers
  • Hi all

Not been running as much as Id like but have been walking miles - dog thinks its k9 Xmas!!

Anyway today we did walk 1 run 1 10x then

DRUM ROLL PLEASE

Run 4 walk 2.

Thats nearly a marathon (at least a snickers?)

Going for a soak now and then a few hours kip b4 work.

Hope u are all doing well. 

• Was in the park on Tuesday with the dog about 06-30.

Saw  a load of flashing lights approaching me on the path and thought I was gonna be alien abducted with all the probes etc.

Turns out it was a load of lunatics doing the boot camp fitness thing with lights strapped to their heads!!

How I laughed - once Id gone home to change my trousers anyway.

• hey all, i'm having a very unproductive day in work today, hope you all are too image

APM thats amazing, cant believe you've already done marathon, if i can get my ankle back into action then thats what i'm aiming towards image i also run at night and to b honest not in the best lit route, but i have to listen to music, i hate tuning into things like my breathing or the sound of my trainers hitting the ground and things lolol, so i just wear a high viz vest and run and hope i don't run into trouble lol,

As for weight watchers, i've tried it a couple of things but i just cant be doing with the point counting if i'm totally honest, but i think different diets have different things to suit everyone, and its clearly suiting you really well if you've lost that much so quickly, well done image

Joe, apparently walking is just as good a running, or so my superfit uncle tells me all the time, so good for you for still getting out. what kind of dog do you have?

Roy-is today the breaking out of the leggings image haha, what restaurants do they have in Glasgow then? xx

• Claire, I signed up for Race for Life online, the site is a bit temperamental, http://raceforlife.cancerresearchuk.org/choose-your-event/index.html I think that works!

Slowjoe, I love your story of aliens! Would have made a good excuse for not finishing the run, at least!

APM, well done on the weightloss, over half a stone already!

I've just popped to Sports Direct and invested in a thermal layer, some leggy things and some little gloves, I've been getting a bit cold! I don't like to run on roads (too hurty) so have been running along the seawalls of the creeks, a tad breezy!
  • k anne - i have a border collie x labrador - he is insatiable. He can run for hours come home lie down for 5 minutes then wants to do it again!!

Rachel - the aliens were very scary. Keep an eye out for them!!

• aaaaaaaww thats amazing lol, is he good a keeping with you wen he runs? mines gets distracted constantly lol x
  • Hes very good we always run in parks and he always keeps me in sight. So he might stop for a sniff then gallop 20 yards to catch up then run off 30 yards away have a sniff then catch up again.
  • KIrstin - trickled trou in bears den, The stables in Kirkintilloch, The ospreys in Newton mearns and the red deer in cumbernaulds. Ring any bells? You got that gait done yet? Hehe.

Ange any news on the watch yet?

Playing football later in a match so not going to run till in the morning. Getting a workout at least.

Hope all is well!
  • Lol the uppercrusts of Glasgow, no haven't heard of them, i don't darken the doorways of these areas lol, more for the well to do hahaha, look out for them though if ever i jump on the wrong bus.

Just found out there is a sweatshop in GLasgow YAY!!! its in the afore mentioned Bearsden tho unfortunately so i'll have to look my best and mind my P's and Q's.

Joe your dog sounds like a dream lol, how do you feel about fostering an extremely hyperactive though loving pup for a week and see if you can get him to be just as well behaved cause i'm struggling lol. love him when he's sleeping though, angel lol x

• Ooops! Just bought a garmin 205 from sweatshop. It was supposed to be my reward for being able to run thirty solid minutes (7 weeks away according to the programme I'm following) but I had to buy it as it was reduced from 149.99 to 99.99. I've asked my partner to hide it until then so it will still be a reward. Look forward to letting you all know how it goes. I also got new trainers - brooks adrenaline and they were also reduced from 90 to 60 so I'm quite chuffed.
    Ange I look forward to hearing how you get on with your garmin.
    Slowjoe - run 4 walk 2 is amazing - well done! You won't be slow for long!
  • If any of you live in London you might want to sign up to this very beginner-friendly 5k:

https://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/view-event.aspx?ps=1001322

I did!
  • Apm how did you go about training for your marathon last time? I'm really keen to run one, gonna do a half first though. I'm considering getting one of these garmins although need to know how accurate the mileage is on it.
  • Hi

K hope the ankles ok?

How cold is it please!!

I am doing my 3rd session of wk1 for the c25k tomorrow did my davina dvd today for 40 mins image Still no sis, text her today as she was supposed to go to the gym said she was tired so i text her saying sometimes you just have to get on with things and the gym would make her feel better?? then i thought i feel like am hassling her so am not going to anymore, as long as am doing my thing then great!

Any runs today?

• Hi Mr Wilson. I went from zero to the marathon in six months. It wasn't a good idea. First I followed RW's programme to get you up from zero to running for a solid half hour and once I'd got good-ish at that, I started one of RW's marathon training plans and followed it to the letter as much as I could. I did the slowest possible programme with the lowest possible mileage. And I was extremely slow throughout.

The reason I don't think it was a good idea to do the marathon when I did is that I never really got truly fit. Maybe I did in terms of my breathing, cardiovascular, endurance etc, but not in my muscles. I had lots of injuries along the way, which meant I missed quite a bit of training. Plus I ate like a pig throughout the training so remained about two stone overweight at that time - a strain on my body and extra burden to lug around. On the day I managed to run for only 19 and a half miles before hitting the wall and having to walk. As a result my time was over six hours. But once you've done a marathon nobody can take it away from you and it's a really great feeling. I actually have a ballot place for this year's race but I'm going to pull out.

The main thing I learnt from the experience is that with running, anything's possible (within reason!) provided you clock up the hours and miles on your feet as proscribed by a good training plan.
  • Keenly keep on it, trying to force someone is trying to make someone do something they obviously don't want to do. You seem to have the motivation so go for it yourself.

Apm that took some guts in 6 months. I don't think people generally realise how hard the training is going to be until they do it. I think I'm deffo going to do the half first and then build on that. I'm looking a keeping fit long term to so I'm in no rush to fulfil what I want to do just yet.
  • Might wear tights tonight If I run.... Risk of shrinkage worth taking haha!
  • Hey all

Feel like I've been gone a week with all the chatting going on image

Sorry, but read so much can't remember who has said what, I have a memeory like a seive! I am however impressed with the having run a mara before, not that it is something that I'd want to do, but impressed non the less.

Well done on the weight loss! Agree though, can see inches not necessarily on the scales, and always remember muscle weighs more than fat! I weighed myself on New Years Day and said it would be the first of every month so will see how it goes.

Did another run today, same route as I did on Sunday (c. 3.5k) and given I had forgotten to take my inhaler before I went, and that I had walked to the train station this morning and used the walk home as my warm up I was well impressed at bringing my time down from 24:27 to 22:12!!!!!

As for the Garmin, totally love it, wouldn't change it and certainly wouldn't be without it!!!! If you've got one or are thinking of one, all I can say is, 'Good Move!'

Next run planned for Friday before heading north to see my family. Dad's just had his knee replaced. Mum is still saying she wants to start so I'm planning on taking her out at the weekend for her first session. I'm not so sure she'll stick to it, but she says she wants to try so will see how it goes image

Roy - Glad to see you are giving the tights ago, let us know how you get on with it.

K - go for the rest, it really is a good idea! Ice, rest and elevate is what I was told when I did mine.

Can't wait to run again image

• Made up for you ange. Once you pop you just cant stop lol. So the garmin seemed fairly accurate then? Does it have a light on it?

Ive booked myself on park run for sat morn.ive got a membet of my staff to do it with me to so should be good.

Im gonna head out for a.run on my break in work tomorrow.
  • hey well done on run ange thats brill, great time image

I'm gettin very bored of resting now, but reckon should just hold off another few days n try head out again on monday, still feel an ache when i'm walking walkin which sucks. feels like i'm just sittin about gaining weight lolol.

good luck with lunch break run roy image

• Hey guys

just had my lunch time run. 4.5 miles 33 mins.very hard as runnin against wind half of it.felt leggy again but i think my leg muscles are where im lacking. Does everyone else feel their muscles in legs whilst runnin. Think i need to build the strength up.

How is everyone
  • Hi Mr Wilson, wow that's an impressive time and distance for a beginner - how long have you been running for? good for you, a good use of your lunch hour!

Yes I feel my leg muscles during running - specifically my calves and the muscles in my groin that you use when lifting your knees up. Really feel weak, burning and heavy. But I know it will get better the more I run and train.

I got to do my run yesterday in the daytime for the first time while someone watched my baby. I did run 2 walk 1 x7 and finished with a 4 minute run, found it very hard and was very slow. But it can only get better!
  • HI Mr Wilson

GL on the leggings!!

APM i am thinking about doing a marathon but am a novice....lost my mojo a few yr back but getting it back, can you recmmmend any good plans?

Mr wilson. My sis came out today only managing half of the plan!!

But it was a start now am in a quandary...do you think i could do with her what i have to do then go out again on a night and do where i am upto it as i do think am fitter than the plan recommends but want to stay on track but doing half of the c25k on week 1 is a bit easy for me i should of run 3 session today but kept with my sis...i would never want to leave her as i think this would dishearten her but i do need to be moving forward any suggestions from ANYBODY please?

Keeny
  • hey Keeny,

i reckon everyone will recommend diff things so suppose its just gonna b down to what suits you, but if i'm bein totally honest, and if i were in your situation, i would probs go out with my sis then go out later and do where i'm at in the training plan.....only because your saying you feel fit enough, and i'm quite tough on myself so i no for a fact thats what i would day. way i see it, the programme i'm doing, i do the run for however long is allocated that day, but also in that day i might do a gym class and will probably be out with the dog a couple of times as well, so still doing more exercise than what schedule is saying.

entirely upto you though, as loong as it doesn't become too hard, or painful in anyway, and that it doesn't jeopradise your training in anyway...if ur sis has a day she doesnt wanna go out, her loss, she obvioiusly doesn't want it enough, and y should u lose out in doing something you enjoy image............is it obvious yet that i have a sister lolol. anyway, what ever u decide will be whats right for yiu, i'm sure there will be some folk that will disagree with my opinion and thats the whole point in this thread image getting everyones opinions and keeping motivated together. Good Luck image xx

• Hi K

Thanks.....i do my davina DVD and did Pilates DVD tonight after doing run with her this morning as felt i hadnt done enough as do not want my fitness to drop image

You can tell you have a SIS do not get me wrong i am willing to help her but only she can push herself, i didnt think she would manage the full 60s run 90s walk 8 times but managed half which was good!

i like feedback wether good or bad x