Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Lee

Comments

• Steve, I will stick to the plan and run fartlek today as you wrote about 2min hard 30s at marathon pace for 5 miles.  Then I will do the 800s on a loop thursday.

Otis/Fraser, thanks for the support, after looking at the results I beat 4 chaps who I've been behind this season so it wasn't all bad!

• oops, forgot to mention that I completed both session yesterday, 4.5miles at 7:30 pace, the last mile was on wet muddy grass and my road trainers just didn't have any grip, so I think that counts as cross training due to it being more akin to iceskating.  Second run with club mate with loads of chat after racing the day before 7miles in 48:11 which is almost perfect controlled running, which was nice!
  • I liked todays session, I put it off as late as I could but managed to drag my sorry butt out in the end, dreading it after Sunday.  I ran between 5:20 - 5:34 for the hard 2 mins, then got the wrong end of the stick and ran 1min recovery at marathon pace, well just outside 6:20.  I lost concentration on a couple of the recoveries and ran close to 7:00 pace.  It was nice that 6:20 pace felt easy.

I must write on my hand what I am actually suppose to be doing then I won't get it wrong.

Does anyobne else find that a session that you have been dreading actually turns out to be excellent

Also I am trying a protien shake afterwards for the first, I'll let you know how I feel tomorrow.  Anyone else with experience fo these?

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Hey Choisty... well done on the Asics selection. I'm enjoying readingyour thread.

Not sure what your experience of your new Garmin is but I find the workout option really handy on mine when doing progression/fartlek training. Means I don't have to keep on top of what Ive done and what I'm meant to be doing as it's all pre-programmed before I go out. Also great for setting the pace and making sure I stay on course.

RE: protein shakes, not quite the same but I like For Goodness Shakes after tough sessions. They give me 50% of the carb/protein i need (based on McMillans RUNRR) straight after my run and then I eat the other 50% in solids within an hour of the session.works for me.

• well done on the session yesterday and today Choisty - it's good if a pace like 6:20 feels relatively easy!
  • Johnas, I like the garmin and douse it for intervals but didn't know how to program in 5miles of 2min hard with 1min (although it should of been 30sec) recovery as I didn't knwo the distance I woudl be covering, also I found it handy to be able to ready the pace mid rep to ensure I was on pace.  I should of looked at more for the recovery as I did slip 4 times to a pace closer to 7min/miles due to lack of concentration.  Suggestions welcome on how to program it better.  I am using the SIS REGO shake, which tastes superb but I tend to through most of it around the kitchen!

Steve,  I just wish the race was today as I felt liek I could really fly, damn jetlag, did I mention on the return flight that I sat next to a chap with a leaking colostomy bag, the stentch was horrific!  The 6:20 pace feeling easy was a revelation and made me think this was the reason you set this session, to show how easy marathon pace should feel.

• Thanks for the 10k info steve, will give it my best shot.
  • Otis, good luck, what time are you going to target and where?
  • Steve MC, are there good guidelines about distance for recovery runs? I see some people do 4 miles, I do 5 miles and on the sub-3 thread there are a few notes that recovery should never be shorter than 6 and in the 6 to 8 range. I do 3 recovery runs a week, so that is 15 miles, the total could be from 12 to 24 if I go from 4 to 8 miles. My other 3 runs are about 45 miles so it makes the difference between a 57 week and a 69.
  • Thanks Choisty, I'm doing a 10k up in Buchlyvie (that's near Stirling). i think i'll set of at just sub 36min pace and see what happens. the course should be quite flat so i suppose we'll just see how windy it is and if my legs play ball.
  • PMJ no steadfast rule about length of recovery run and up to personal p[reference or needs. It will depend on your fitness but for some 8 miles may not actually be that much of a recovery, even at a slow pace, and I think that sort of distance is for those looking for extra miles and very fit.

I only really count my Monday and Friday runs as recovery runs where to me mileage isn't the concern but looking to be ready to do the next key session.

I find 5 miles about right for not adding to my tiredness but giving the legs a reasonable outing

Why not try putting it up to 6 miles which will give you a few extra miles but not be a shock to the system

• That is an interesting debate about recovery runs, is it also related to the training that is alongside it and whether it is the second run of the day.  Personally for the recoveries I like to run how I feel so far they have varied between 4 & 6.5 with a variety of paces.

Today's run went well 10miles completed with a smile and cheery hello to everyone who came close, with a variety of responses.  My legs were tired after yesterdays fartlek so started slower than usual at 6:50 pace and slowly increased the pace throughout, sort of a progression run, with the last mile being 6:25 and the average being 6:38.

The protien shakes seem to of helped a little as I feel pretty good today with only mild tiredness in the legs, I had another after todays run so lets see how the reps are tomorrow.  This will also be on my three days of food diary which I will put online tomorrow (I eat a lot!)

Otis, pin your colours to the mast and see if you can get within +57s of it, that was how much I missed by.

• Looking forward to the food diary!
  • good solid run Choisty and well paced
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Hey Choisty - re: the Garmin. When you log in to Garmin Connect, go to the 'Workout' tab. From there you can select the type of activity (e.g. Warm Up, Interval, Recovery etc), next select the duration (either by distance or in your case Time) and then finally set the target (be it HR, or in your case Pace).

Hope that helps and definitely worth a go as it allows you to set desired pace for each fartlek as well as the recovery in between which I always find hard to get right! The Garmin will display your pace too and tell you whether you need to speed up and slow down using beeps

• Food diary Day 1

Mon 16-Jan

Breakfast:
    - Bowl of Cheerios with semi-skimmed milk
    - Cup of tea

Morning:
    - 2 x Coffee
    - Orange squash
    - Flapjack

Run 1 – 4.5miles easy

Lunch: 
    - 3 x Ham & Mustard sandwiches (i.e. 3 slices of bread)
    - 2 x Apple
    - Orange squash

Afternoon:
    - Handful of pick n mix
    - 2 x Satsuma
    - Banana

Run 2 – 7miles @ 7min/mile pace

Dinner:
    - 3 small Jacket potato’s with soured cream, beans & cheese
    - Small slice of Christmas cake
    - 2 x pints of orange squash
    - 1 small glass of white wine

• Food diary day 2:

Tue 17-Jan

Breakfast:
    - Bowl of Shredded Wheat with semi-skimmed milk
    - Cup of tea

Morning:
    - 1 x Coffee
    - Orange squash

Lunch:
    - 2 x Cheese & Pickle sandwiches (i.e. 2 slices of bread)
    - 1 x Prosciutto sandwich
    - 1 x Apple
    - 1 x Pear
    - 1 x Pint Orange squash

Run: 7miles 1mile w-u, fartlek of 2mins 5-10k pace then 1min marathon pace for 5miles, 1mile w-d

Afternoon:
    - 1 x pint recovery shake
    - 1 x Apple
    - 1 x Satsuma
    - 1 x Shortbread biscuit
    - 2 x Oatmeal & Raisin biscuits
    - 1 x Coffee

Dinner:
    - 2 x Pork & Apple Sauce sandwiches
    - 1 x Chicken wrap
    - 1 x Coffee
    - 1 x Pint Orange Squash

• Food diary day 3

Wed  18-Jan

Breakfast:
    - Bowl of Shredded Wheat with semi-skimmed milk
    - Cup of tea

Morning:
    - 2 x Coffee
    - 1 x Pint Orange squash
    - 1 x Ham & Coleslaw Bap

Run: 10miles @ 6:38 pace

Lunch:
    - 2 x Veg & Hummus Sandwich
    - 1 x Tuna & cucumber sandwich
    - 1 x Satsuma
    - 2 x Pear
    - 1 x Pint Orange squash
    - 1 x Pint recovery shake

Afternoon:        
    - 1 x Small Flapjack
    - 1 x Coffee
    - 1 x Pint Orange Squash

Dinner:
    - Nibble of sausage roll & tuna sandwich (until my son caught me!)
    - 1 x Naan bread
    - Rice
    - Chicken Rogon
    - 1 x pint orange squash
    - 1 x can (330ml) alcohol free beer

• I told you I ate a lot!  I had to split the message into 3 to get it on the site.  The thing is my wieght is stable to slightly trending down, so I don't think my calorific intake is too high, however I will be the first to admit that I don't scientifically analyse my diet or eat things to improve performance.
  • Johnas, I will give that a go, thank you
  • Alcohol free beer - that's your problem.

Not that you have a problem, but if you do, that's what caused it!

• I know it is not something I advocate, but on a school night I cannot drink and with a curry a beer is mandatory!
  • Hi Choisty, loving the food diary! I think that looks quite resaonable and balanced, with loads of fruit. You definately like your Orange Squash!
  • KR, I just need something to make water taste good!
  • Run 1 of the day completed 4.1 miles, ran too fast as I was stressed at work, doh! still it works as a release
  • Choisty wrote (see)
    KR, I just need something to make water taste good!
    Maybe a wee dram of whisky? image
  • You like sandwiches a lot, don't you?! Not many cooked meals in there. And I think you probably eat about the same amount of food as I do. But I'm smaller than you.
  • Yesterday's second session was an eye-opener, it hurt as only good 800's can.  The session was at altitute, well the top estate, a single loop which is uphill for half a lap followed by a quarter downhill, then flat for last quarter, to complete 800  I had to add an extra spot of uphill.  The uphill was against the wind, I don't know why this happens but it seems to be like it a lot.  The course ended up being 888m a bit too far so it was and average of 2:56 lap.  The average pace looked like this 5:24, 5:26, 5:30, 5:28, 5:24, 5:26, 5:30, 5:28.  The biggest problem I had during the session was the jog recovery, as I would lose concentration, run too fast then the next rep would be harder and slower, hence the variation in time, which as a spread I'm not happy with.

The session left me feeling nausious and dizzy for a good 90mins despite a pint of Newcastle brown and a packet twigletsThe legs aren't too bad today just a little fatigued.

CC2, I love a good sandwich and most I make them myself before work.  I leave the house at 7am and don't get back 'til late by which time the dinner my wife is good enough to prepare for me has been eaten by my kids! and I am too lazy to make hot food, although I will cook pasta occasionally.

• Excellent session Choisty - very even reps and good average pace especially considering the hills.

Interested in Ruth's comments but I would have thought you may need more hot food!

• Was the Newcie Broon a pre session, mid session or recovery drink image