Marathon training while travelling?

Hi,
I'm doing Brathay Windemere marathon in May which will be my second marathon. Training is going well so far, but looking ahead in the diary I have two tours scheduled (I'm a musician) and am worried about training while away. The first one should be fine as the schedule doesn't look too heavy and the long run will happen in the canaries (perfect!), but Early April I'm working in Hong Kong, China and Korea for 12 days and should be doing two long runs in that time, at least one of which will be around the 20 mile mark.

Don't get me wrong - I like exploring new places by running, but going out for twenty miles in a place that I don't know the language or terrain etc. has got my knickers in a twist! Not to mention not knowing my work schedule there yet. Has anyone had to do their long runs somewhere really unfamiliar and do you have any tips for finding routes etc. in different countries?

Ta very much!
Laura

Comments

• I thinksmall loops would be your best bet for getting distance in  ? 20 miles is a long way to do as one loop
  • I run in strange places when travelling all the time, but then I'm a guy. However I have never been hassled in any of the countries I have run in and they are spread all over the world. If you have a relatively good sense of direction its never a problem getting back. Being a marine consultant most of my trips take me near the sea so i have a tendancy to run beside the sea which makes navigation easy.  If you have a garmon there is always the return to start option. Then theres the sun in the countries you mention its always in the South at noon. Just look when you head out.

I wouldn't worry about the language bit I have run in Japan, China and Russia places where i most certainly couldn't read any street signs etc and its never been a problem, always managed to buy water etc from a petrol station or shop and if totally lost taxi drivers always know Hilton ' crowne plaza etc.

• I Agee with Dave, the biggest issue has always been in the US where it is so car centric. I have always thought that running gets you the best views of a new place and getting lost is all part of the fun! Just carry some local currency and the address / phone number of the hotel. Most of relax don't try and run too fast and enjoy yourself
  • kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

i'm going on holiday 3 weeks before my first marathon (booked holiday before i got a place on the marathon). Luckily I'll start my tapering that week but still need to find a 15mile run......I have found www.mapmyrun.com really helpful.  You put in the area/city/postcode of the part of the world you are going in, you can then map out a run for yourself, or see what runs other people have mapped out in that area.

As I am going to the alps, the extra help of that website is that you can also see the elevation of the runs....i thought i mapped out a great run on the roads, until i looked at the elevation and realised it was all going up the mountain!  Soon re-arranged that.....!!

Good Luck!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Laura - I feel your pain. I move around a lot and need to get training in. One of the things I tend to do is train very early morning (before the harassment brigade are awake). I'd also check with your hotel/tour group in the local country to see what they recommend/suggest. When I was in Turkey I was advised against running altogether but one of the hotel staff was a regular runner and took me out with him on a 10k route so that I'd know the areas to avoid and times.

I tend to get a local map and ask some locals where to run/where to avoid (you'd be suprised how close those two can be!). Dependent upon where you're going - carry an attack alarm and wear bright colours. Saying that - the worst case of harassment i've ever had has been in Paris!

I love exploring the local areas and I agree - it's the best way to find your way around the city. Enjoy your tour!

@Kaffeeg - also take into consideration the air quality. You'll have a lot less oxygen when you get to altitude so you'll be working harder along the route. In 2008, I was lucky enough to run in Stubai (Austria). It was great preparation and I felt alive at the end of it!

• Thank you everyone! Terrific advice. Found some info on Hong Kong at least, and looks like there is a 15 mile trail I can run. Getting up early is a bit hard as often concert start times are much later in other countries (in Turkey we started at 10pm.... ) but I'll do my best!!!
  • You probably know this already, but the Windermere marathon is "undulating". Very undulating. What's not up is down. Don't skimp on hills on your training runs, and if you're planning a route and see some elevation changes, this might not be a bad thing.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    rodeoflip - this thread is 7 years old, I think it's just been resurrected by newbies not realising it's an old thread.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Those newbies are both spammers, Shades. Check out their posting histories and how they interact with each other.