Options

Pirates at VLM

Ok not strictly tri, but just wondered which other pirates where doing VLM this year and will you be wearing your Pirate colours?

Comments

• Options
    i will be there but in a supporting manner - running stratford a week later image
  • Options
    Iron pingu......I will be there..........usually in running races up to marathon I wear my club vest.......but for VLM i will be wearing pirate colours......as I will be out longer than normal
  • Options
    I'm in Brighton and London....image
  • Options

haha - i love how just about every publication advises against running a marathon in the build up for an IM - yet just about every single pirate does it every single year image

we're a smart bunch!

• Options
    I have my name down but think I will be sensible and defer it until next year... want to make the most of it and I can't if IM training image
  • Options

Oh cool, lots of faces to look out for image  You sure you can't be persuaded GB? 

Mr Zuvai, I've never been able to follow a plan, lol.

• Options

so here's the golden question;

Are you training for a marathon with bike and swim squeezed in or are you training for an IM and using that fitness for the marathon?

i guess that depends on what you're planning your A race

I've got a weird Fink/ P&D hybrid going on...

• Options
    I did a hybrid last year..worked for me........this year london will be done as a long training run......I'm also looking to do a 5 hr run the next day around London if anyone fancies it or knows a good route image
  • Options
    seren - why don't you become on of the nutters - who starts at the finish the day before and runs fto the start, then the next day run it the right way round?
  • Options
    I will be travelling up there the day before......but I have 5 or 6 hours on the Monday for siteseeing........so will be looking for a long run image
  • Options

I don't follow a plan, I just increase what I'm doing and try to fit in what I can.  Last year that meant 2 masters classes a week (if I was good) and tons of cycling.  I barely ran last year what with the dodgy achilles.  I suppose the IM is the target, the marathon is just for the shiny medal!

Sorry, will be travelling back on the Sunday so will have to miss the run, otherwise of course .... hmm image

• Options
    M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

i guess that depends on what you're planning your A race

That was my problem / thinking - I want to focus on IM this year seeing as it is a big commitment and I have signed up already.... but I also want to run a sub 3hr marathon in my next one... and I know I couldn't do both!

I could just use London as a long training run, but (especially given the effort to actually get a place in London) I wouldn't be happy / be able to go and run it an hour slower so that I would recover quickly!

• Options

I'm doing VLM, but like kk I have to be in club colours.  I'm doing it as a bit of a hybrid as I have for the last two years, making sure I get the long runs in, but my pre-London races will be duathlons rather than the usual half marathons and 20 mile races. 

It does bother me slightly that Outlaw is several weeks earlier than last year, but OTOH the weather so far this year has been kind and I've been able to get longer rides in earlier than usual.  Whether that's worked will be revealed at the spring ballbuster I suppose.

• Options
    I was so sure that the bike rides last year helped...........so much that my OH is doing turbo as cross training to help his spring marathon training
  • Options

Tricky one.  I'm a better runner, but I prefer triathlon (although only marginally).

I'm not convinced that running VLM compromises my IM by too much.  If I could guarantee a significantly better IM result by dropping VLM then I might consider it, but there are no guarantees in IM and I could have a bad day whether I run London or not.

• Options
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Tricky one. I'm a better runner, but I prefer triathlon (although only marginally).

I'm not convinced that running VLM compromises my IM by too much. If I could guarantee a significantly better IM result by dropping VLM then I might consider it, but there are no guarantees in IM and I could have a bad day whether I run London or not.

that's pretty much my thoughts ... plus the impetus that spring mara training also ensures the IM schedule gets moving

although im not overly keen on how much shorter we have between due to oulaw being brought forward

• Options

10 weeks between VLM and Outlaw ... should be ok I reckon. 

Seren, I agree the biking definitely improves the running.  Considering my lack of running in the last year, my times haven't really changed at all.

• Options
    Running a Marathon before IM is a bad idea ... what ... whoda gone and said that.  I should be OK.  I'm running Paris 15 April, London the following weekend so technically I'm not running "a Marathon".

Can I have a Pirate lapel pin or summot?

Rw
  • Options

Phew, well done on covering your arse on that PRW, its us 'just the one marathoners' that'll need to worry image

• Options

mmm.

I'm doing Brighton and have a place in New York for the autumn and the Outlaw.

Currently fully focussed on marathon. Mid-Feb and a slight shift as will add some more swim/bike (currently once per week each), only to two of each but I will work on the principle that the swim is a doddle and not likely to lose/gain much time.

• Brighton Mara - A race
    • Outlaw - Next A race
    • New York Mara - Blag it. 

M.eface

• Options

I'm doing Brighton and VLM too. 

Not planning an IM for me this year but as I'm doing Alcatraz in June, am trying to keep swimming up and will start biking at some point I guess too...image 

• Options
    That's what is great on this forum. Everywhere else in the real world the marathon is the ultimate achievement. At work, the Big "M" ers are building up to London or Brighton like it's the Holy Grail.

Don't get me wrong, a mara is blinkin' tuff and makes your knees feel like Cadbury's Flake, in Praline if you are lucky. On a hot day.

But the sheer cavalieriousness of "Blag it" is utterly brilliant and frankly, inspires me.

• Options

Mmm, did somebody say Cadbury Flake ...

• Options
    I'll be there.  I was going to add my name to some sort of list, but there doesn't appear to be one.......
  • Options
    Shock horror......WE HAVE NO LIST....Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image
  • Options
    I do like lists.  Maybe I should start one .. I'm still distracted by thoughts of chocolate though, atm I'm thinking Twirl .. image
  • Options

VLM
    Pingu
    KK
    Seren
    CD
    Golden Balls (thinking about defering)
    Iron Mandel
    GarsMateNige
    PRW

Other marathons
    Mr Z (stratford)