Male Vets Over 40 Discussion

Comments

• LuvsaPB -  wishing you well  - but i'm not at al lsuprised that the last 10 miles felt uncompy

and yes, unti lyou adjust take each race as it comes

Me / us  -  marathons ? it will be our first this year,  we did take another on earlier but i wasnt well enough so pulled out

this weekend will be our 42 nd FM together, depending how my prostate holds out, and now sadly my ears nose and throat as they feel rather blocked - but ( for me or us ) it's only another race, we can easily pull out

Abingdon old course we clocked our PB there of 4:03 in 2006 - 

( new course 2008 ? ? )  we clocked 4:19, was on for 4:03 but twice around a bumpy path took its toll

never mind, we live to fight another day

but i want to say to you all, even with all my expereince (as an old hand ) if you like, i'm never compleceant  

• I'm done my regulation one marathon for the year, but I'm guaranteeing a PB in my next race. It's a 26k run around the southside of Glasgow and hey, who has a 26k PB? image
  • aha back here again, been away for no apparent reason, had a good year plenty of pb's and driven to get more next year, how is everybody
  • Currently have a calf strain I think-Haven't been able to run properly since end of Nov.  No running again til 1st Jan, & hoping I'll be able to run Gloucester mara on 22ndimage 
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Not sure as a V40 you should be that concerned about slowly down or feel that you need to overly worry about things as when you were 39.

I lost my last 2 years in my late 30s to injury and rebuilding and although I didn't run well in the marathon this year I did run my fastest 800 and fastest KM since I was a teenager. Over sensible distances I ran 35.05 for a 10.2km race.

I've just completed my month of base ahead of a 2012 assault on the Comrades Ultra Marathon. On the way I shall look to get my marathon time back into the 2.4X area.

LuvsaPB - I should see you at Gloucester although I cannot decide on the 50km or the marathon....
  • Also targeting Comrades in 2012 though a little more slowly than Gobi. I'm still looking for a sub-3hr qualifying marathon at Lochaber but will run the longer distance with slower friends and enjoy the experience, at least in the early stages.

Not quite sure how to plan my training. Higher mileage and more biking (~2000 miles/ 1000 miles) than 2010 made me very consistent over 10k and half marathon distance but a slight drop in quality (especially of hill work and race pace) meant I was a minute or so slower over 10k. I'm thinking strict adherence to a marathon plan but with back to back long runs might do the trick for the ultra.

• Can't believe its over three months since I last posted on this forum.....

Changed my training at the beginning of November, went from just under 30miles a week to 40miles a week.... And have since knocked 2.30mins off my 10km time..... Looking forward to 2012, and agree with 57.5, that high mileage will make me more consistent and get me so far, but also requires the right balance of quality to carry on the improvement, which also brings on the niggle's and crap....

But.... Roll on 2012

• I got picked for Scotland Vets in 2011 so working hard to augment this again for Belfast in 2012, want 16.40 5k sub 35 10k, sub 2.10 800 metres and sub 11 steeplechase this year oh and a cheeky wee 1.16 half marathon
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Happy New Year all

Nice targets Sawney Bean

Looks Promising Bluenose

All the best with Comrades Trg Gobi and 57.5

Rough end to the year for me with a Hamstring injury, that hasnt stopped me running just stopped faster running.....  the new year will also be rough starting as have to have an op on my bladder in a few weeks times...

Once sorted my aims for the year are simple, regular 19 min Parkruns, sub 40s for 10k and a sub 85 for the half....

• did 1.17.28 in windy conditions at york half yesterday, 2nd vet over 40,. Checking guys I beat this year who did 1.15 1.16 last year in more favourable conditions
  • Good running sawney. I just want to do a half in calm conditions this year and hopefully knock a bit more off my slightly soft PB.

I have managed a fair increase in miles OK since mid December but lacking motivation for speedwork or hills. Did enjoy a couple of tough runs over the weekend and a total of about 30 miles but some knee trouble that cropped up in my last race in October made an unwelcome return. Was practicing a swift trail descent at the time so I'll give hill running a wide berth till after Comrades!

On the plus side the knee felt fine tonight.

• Well done Sawney mate..... Good start for 2012..... And no doubt a welcome boost to yourself....

I'm safe in the knowledge, that if I get round to doing a HM, it'll be a PB.....

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice one Sawney

I did the Gloucester 50km yesterday in 3.38 solid effort.

This evening I was back on the track repping so happy days.

2012 - so far so good
  • well done Gobi, phenomenal running that 31 miles, what position were you. thing is I wasn't out of breath and was chatting all the way round to Felicity Milton British XC Runner.

How old are you Gobi?

My legs were a wee bit sore today, not too bad so did 5 miles slowly.
    My recovery rate seems to be very quick and I did a 17.04 park run in December and 4 hours later got 2nd vet in a windy 5 miler.

plyometrics and lydiard hill bounds have given me the edge this last 12 months and I am liking my first try at aqua running.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sawney - I'm 41, I came 11th. For me it was all about running sub 3.40 to secure an A seed start for the Comrades ultramarathon.

Sounds like you have more to give.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Some great work / times being pushed out here, well done.

The rough end to my year got worse with a rougher start to 2012... have had to have an op for an internal water works issue, that hasnt gone wrong, but had issues with it... so currently no running at all

The rest however is good for the rest of the body and after some base when I can come back will start making some targets... main one beig a sub 85 half later in the year.

Take care all

• Cross Country season nearly over, beating people who had previously beaten me in 2011 and getting closer to other targets.
    Looking forward to 10k 5k season then some track,

Blaydon race is a biggy this year as its 150th also got GNR place, 1.15 1.16 is target.
  • Are all us 'mature runners' too busy training to post? Hope no-one is on the injured list.

I saw that you were running Strathclyde parkrun RFJ, hope it went well. Supposed to be a quick course.

My ultra training paid off today in an surprising way with a big half marathon pb among a strong field in Inverness. Set off at 6.15 pace and got stronger as the race went on, just getting into third V45 spot on the finishing 300m on the track. After being a bit slower at most distances aged 45 than at 44 that was a nice result to welcome age 46!

• First post of the year!  Been a strange first quarter for me.  Buggered my calf by being too enthusiastic, attempting 3 long runs in one week! Was unable to do Gloucester mara in Jan & Bramley 20 in Feb.  Have only raced once this year at Wokingham half, and found myself struggling after only 3 miles.  Crawled in at 1:33.

Have managed to get the mara training back on track with some 70 mile weeks done including 24 mile lsrs.  Started donig speed sessions again once a week on club night which is proving hard but necessary.  Got Fleet half this weekend-will see if my speed endurance has improved at all!

Then it's Milton Keynes mara on 29th Apr & my continuing pursuit of club record of sub 2:54:55 for male 45-49image   

• Doesn't time fly when your having fun (or not)..... Still sticking with the 40 mile a week training (as posted 30.12.11), and just recently my 5k times started tumbling, so looking forward to the next few months....

LuvsaPB, good luck over the next five weeks, no doubt you'll find that Workington was just a blip....

How's the rest of you doing???? 

• Good morning folks, hope you don't mind me gate crashing as a relative newbie runner. Started running early Jan this year did my first HM - Brighton 2:18, next run is Chester HM 15th May. Absolutely desperate to be sub 2 hours in May. Getting nearer 9 minute miles over 10k, another seven weeks of hard graft might get sub two hours?

First visit to Rothwell Harriers (Leeds) tonight image Running is definitely the most addictive past time ever!!

Totally in awe of the times posted on this thread, you guys rock! Good luck to everyone with upcoming races.
  • Haven't posted on here for some time hope all are well and training and racing meeting expectations!!

I have had niggling calf tears over the last 5 months and feels like one step forward one step back but I am now half way through my 4th week and things holding together starting to feel stronger and more importantly faster day by day managed 10X400m (60 sec recovery) all 68-70 secs!! so pleased

Planned first race since November, 5 mile road on 4th April!! not expecting too much just a bench mark race

I have now moved well into my 48th year since my last post image

• RobT tomorrow is your big 5 miler, let us know how you get on
  • Thanks SB I'll let you know how it goes!!
  • 26.55 for my 5 miles tonight 7th overall 1st v45 pretty damn pleased and calfs held up image
  • Just checked PO10 my race last night puts me 2nd UK 5 mile V45 rankings so far in 2012 image
  • great run rob

without going back in posts whats a typical weeks mileage/runs you do and how do you find your body manages with the training.

myself personally started doing a few more miles 6 months back, try to get in 60 to 75 per week. seem to cope ok myself and tend to run how i feel although try to make it a point to train easier the day before a harder session even if i feel good and want to push on a bit.

• Davm
    Train about 55-60 miles per week usually 2 quality track sessions, long run on a Sunday 13/14 miles and other runs between 8-10 miles with one rest day

Body recovers quite quickly but need to watch for calf/Achilles issues

If racing I do cut down a little but usually only 3 days before unless a big race then 5-7 days if race prep stuff only do thus a couple if times a year as impossible to target every race

Hope this makes sense!!

All my training outside of track is between 6.20 and 7 min mile pace
  • are your track sessions done alone or have to someone faster to aim for, your pace outside of track is fast is that something you stick to and push even if your not up to it
  • My track sessions in recent months have been with a 32 min 10k guy who's also a 70 min HM I struggle over longer reps but the shorter one just about hang in there
    My stuff outside I don't really work too hard to keep pace in the range I would say on average I run 6.45/50 pace but sometimes go slightly faster or slower depending on teraine, hills etc if I run by myself faster if with others slower

My track speed ranges from 4.40 mile pace short reps 600m and below to 5-5.15 pace 800m plus I do 200's and below about 4 min mile pace ie 29/30 secs

What sort of Pace do you train at and what times are you racing?