Want to race but cant

13»

Comments

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Slow_coach wrote (see)

I'll talk to him (again) when he comes back home; "darling we need to talk.....image

Don't start that way, He'll think you have gone off sex !!!

Don't be stupid, Dave.  They're married, therefore celibate.
  • addyladaddylad ✭✭✭
    Back on-topic:

Pull yourselves together and start acting like parents!
  • SC - The way the situation is presented at the beginning makes your husband out to be a right tit - yet you've also commented several times that he isn't.  If people are saying that there's two sides to a story it's because of the difficulties involved in communicating via an internet forum rather than anyone having doubts about your integrity.

One thought that came to mind is that if he's running for a club - do they take part in any of the summer track leagues?  Whatever about leaving a 10 and 12 year old at the finish of a road race I'd wager that the vast majority of them could be safely left at the side of a track whilst Daddy runs around it.  If it were possible for you to run a race at the same time that might be one opportunity.  Also, you might like to give the track a go.  You don't have to be quick or especially good and in my area at least the mens and womens meetings are held separately so there's a definite possibility of avoiding a clash.

P.S. Assuming you can afford it babysitter is an obvious solution or get your kids into some kind of organised sport that doesn't need your presence or is that impossible these days?

• addylad wrote (see)
    Back on-topic: Pull yourselves together and start acting like parents!
    She's just looking for an excuse to dump him...................
  • Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Ploddersoftheworldunite wrote (see)

What's this stuff doing on a Runners' Forum?

If he were signed on for a football team he'd need every Saturday afternoon from August through to May plus a training night which could easily clash with your pilates class,

Most races are on a Sunday tho, So it might be better if he played wendyball.....

'Wendyball' ! Thanks for that Dave. If nothing else comes from this thread at least you've enlarged my vocabulary. Sheltered life I lead.
  • SC - I am a mum of 2 children aged 5 and 8 and have a hubby who has just started running.  Luckily he's not THAT into racing just yet so we haven't yet clashed on the races we book.

I truely think the best advice given on here is to find a reliable babysitter who is willing to do Sunday mornings (when most runs are).  I'm sure if you ask around you will find a responsible teenager who is willing to do this for some extra pocket money.

I do have plenty of family living locally but feel awful just having to ask them to babysit whilst I do an LSR when my hubby is working!!  That said, I made sure my mum kept 21st April this year free so I can get to the VLM!!  She's NEVER allowed to go on holiday then.  image)

• thanks for your balanced reply Clearly and SC image

I thought is fair to let you all know that we have found a happy medium, ie we' ll both have a chance to do events every month. There are a few races that are important to both of us which will have to be a baby sitter day. and I suppose for the 5-6m xc around the parks they are quite safe to wait, if the weather permits.

Thank you all for your replies, sometimes it's good to read other point of view about things that life throws at you! image

• glad that you have managed to sort it out!
  • So, clearly you were exaggerating the whole problem in the first place, no wonder the poor bloke won't let you run, anyway judging by the comments, by the time you get it sorted the kids will be married off
  • EG Graham wrote (see)
    So, clearly you were exaggerating the whole problem in the first place, no wonder the poor bloke won't let you run, anyway judging by the comments, by the time you get it sorted the kids will be married off
    Yes poor bloke you are right he has been on the phone to the Samaritans for the past week! image
  • Ha ha I'm not surprised but you 're obviously a decent sport and gave us the odd laugh