The Marathon Munchies

Hi Everyone,

I kicked up my mileage during the last few weeks and it seems that the marathon munchies have started and it seems that over the last 7 days my appetite has increased as well. Not just wanting to eat a little bit more at meal times, but wanting more snacks and finding that my usual snacks (low fat yogurt & fruit or carrot & celery sticks with hummous) just aren't cutting it as far as my stomach is concerned.

Has anyone else got the munchies, and what do you do to combat them? I don't mind eating more but don't want to end up being rolled around the course at Brighton image 

Thanks! image

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Xine,

Apart from the healthy snacks i've tried eating more low GI foods in my main meals (porridge for breakkie, quinoa and fish for lunch etc). It's actually putting the hunger pains at bay and I dont notice it as much... maybe give that a go?

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

It takes about 2-3 weeks of increased mileage for me! I do a few things:

• go hungry some of the time (otherwise I get fat, but you may not need to)
    • add nuts and dried fruits as snacks and eat bigger portions of porridge
    • keep apples at work for absolute emergency hunger (I dont like them as much as other fruits)
    • run doubles as I cant eat 4 hours before each run thats loads of time I cant snack and I sneak in extra miles image
    • treat myself to the odd naughty thinga few times a week so as not to go mad - sometimes this works, sometimes it doesnt...
    • try not to drink too much (more calories to eat!)
    Doing all of that I've managed to lose the weight I had put on over the last 4 months (had a period of illness so was only doing around 30-40 miles a week compared with 60 now) and am getting back towards racing weight. The aim is to get as close as possible without restricting food intake too much, but eventually I may have to go to calorie counting again image
  • Thanks Emmy, I'll try adding some low GI carbs into my lunch image I do usually have porridge for breakfast but tend to have something like chicken or tuna salad for lunch, so perhaps adding some couscous or quinoa will do the trick.
  • Curly - thanks, some great tips there!

Running doubles - do you mean running twice in a day? That might well be an option when I start running home from work image 

I've only increased about 15 miles since beginning of the year (so now on 30-35 per week) , I dread to think how much I'd want to eat if I was doing 60 miles per week image

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    xine267 wrote (see)

Curly - thanks, some great tips there!

Running doubles - do you mean running twice in a day? That might well be an option when I start running home from work image 

I've only increased about 15 miles since beginning of the year (so now on 30-35 per week) , I dread to think how much I'd want to eat if I was doing 60 miles per week image

I do - dont add mileage with them to start with...break up a longer run then add the mileage back once you are used to them.

I find running 3 miles a lunchtime before a session in the evening really good and less time to eat too! 

I eat a lot...nothing wrong with a good healthy appetite image

• Ahh, a good plan - I will try splitting up one of my mid-distance runs this week by doing some at lunchtime and some after work to see if that helps with the peckishness. Thank you image