Talkback: Beat Your Running Fears

I live in Zimbabwe and am aged 55.    Eight months ago I had had enough of looking in the mirror thinking 'damm I'm getting fat, old and decidely middle aged' so decided to do something about it.

I started running and now am up to 4 to 5kms a day and loving it!  I lived for a while in a big game area of Zimbabwe, so for safety I often had to get my husband to follow me in the car, as quite often I ran past herds of grazing elephants, zebra's, buffalo's.  Lions are also a real threat - I could be a tasky easy meal running right past them as they rest up under bushes alongside the road. 

On one occassion,  I was pounding along, when I rounded a bend in the road only to be confronted by a irritated bull elephant who charged at me! My husband looked so surprised as I came beetling back towards and straight past the car (he had gone into bored/daydream mode and hadn't even seen the elephant).  I never realised until then just how fast I could actually run! image - it was a medal winning sprint!

Every run I do is a marvelous adventure in beautiful Africa!  Oh, and guess what I have dropped two dress sizes and am feeling good about myself! 

Comments