Beyond C25K

Hiya,

I completed the Couch to 5k plan at Xmas time and enjoyed a couple of weeks of being able to run 3 mile.  Now I'm adding half a mile to my runs per week.  Running four miles on two of my runs last week and a (now easier) three mile run yesterday.  Would love to get to the 10k mark.

There are probably others like myself that have completed the C25K and I thought perhaps starting a thread like this might give us the chance to compare notes and encourage each other to keep improving.

Anyone else in the same boat?  What plan are you using (if any) to move beyond 5k?

Comments

• I used Bridge to 10 K - Worked well and I then progressed on my own up to half marathons.

What you're doing sounds good though.

• Thanks Robbie. image

Well done on getting up to half marathons.  Seems like a long way off to me here right now, but you never know!  10k feels more like within my grasp after a great week running last week.  I'm looking forward to getting out again tomorrow and see how I go.

• Just over 4 miles done this morning in 41min. 

4 min quicker than last week, but didn't have anything left in the tank to run another half mile.  Tried out a new route which gave me a long tough hill (at least to me) for the 3rd mile, walked pieces of it and got through it to continue running till just over the 4 mile mark.

I hope to add an extra 5min/half mile on my next run, on Thursday.

• Well done! You must be pretty chuffed at completing the programme?

The Beginner's Running Programme that I'm using is thirteen weeks and goes up to 10k - nine weeks in and I'm running 7-9k depending on the intervals. 

For what it's worth, I reckon keep adding a little bit of distance, or run for a little longer each week - I think chucking in the odd hill is probably a good plan, I've started having one of my runs round a country park with a decent hill - definitely makes a difference.

Could always get yourself entered in a 10k, which might give you an extra bit of a boost to the training? I've entered one in April, and I'm thinking about a 12k in May...

I also stuck my name in the ballot for the Great North Run - not sure if that's a good idea or not, but I'm hoping I get a place... image

• Hiya Pursued,

Thanks!

I've been enjoying your blog since you first posted about it on here; what's the name of the book that you are doing the training programme from again? 

Hills are inevitable where I live, can't run road or trail without meeting at several; unless I head to the local track, but who wants to run round and round and round the same place?  Not me. image

I've entered a 5k, and have my eye on a few others that you have to enter on the day; but am building up to entering a 10k, I'm not brave enough just yet.

Good luck with your April run, you'll do great!  And fingers crossed for the Great North Run. image

• I used the (only available) bridge to 5k app on my iphone (which was a bit rubbish - I reviewed it on the itunes store if you want to know why). After this I'm just adding more distance week by week culminating in the hastings half at the end of march.

good luck getting to the 10k mark - you shouldn't struggle at all no matter which method you use.

• Hills are good - You'll appreciate training on them in races.

I've managed to talk Mrs DOux into starting a C25K plan - I've also been out for the count with manflu, so looking forward to getting back on the road - Manchester 10k in May, London a week later - Really looking forward. The exhilharation of completing your first 10 k is indescribable - Worth all the training and effort.

• I'll try to remember that when crawlling up them, Robbiedoux, lol.  Though I am enjoying seeing improvments in my fitness each week, and that has to be improving at least in part to those damned hills. image  Well done on talking the Mrs into getting out running.  Hope she enjoys it as much as the rest of us do!

Crocodile, must have a look out for your review.  I don't have an iphone, but did have a look at the Bridge to 10k stuff online a few weeks ago.  How many miles are you up to now and how much to you aim to add on each week?

• Hey Evie - the book is called "The Beginning Runner's Handbook" by Ian MacNeill - think mine is an older copy, the version on Amazon looks newer and seems to have added some more recent information into it.

At first (despite not having bought it myself), I felt a liitle gipped as the programme iteslf is only four pages long, but there's a pile of other useful stuff in there that I'm starting to work my way through now. Saying which, those four pages have more than paid for the book anyway, as they've eased me into this running lark quite nicely.

Glad you like the blog - I'm still enjoying writing it, though not so much the last week as most of it has been complaining about my thigh, and I've been dog tired from an especially hectic time at work.  All things will get better soon, I'm sure - going to miss tomorrow morning's run to try and recuperate the thigh, but if that works reckon I'll run home from work on Friday night. image

• Hi Evie

I wouldn't bother looking at the review if you haven't got an iphone!

My last 'long run' was just over 8 miles and I'm hoping to add a mile per week extra. I think the recommended amount is 10% but that gets a bit faffy!

I think the bridge podcasts are meant to be good but have no experience of them.

• Went running today and really enjoyed it.  Really felt like it just flowed.  4.8 miles in just under 48 minutes, so I'm well pleased with myself. image

Heading for a night away tomorrow, so I feel like I've earned the right to some lush food and a bottle of wine (I haven't drank since new years).  Will check out the gym and pool at the hotel whilst I'm there too. image

pursuedbyangrybees wrote (see)

Hey Evie - the book is called "The Beginning Runner's Handbook" by Ian MacNeill - think mine is an older copy, the version on Amazon looks newer and seems to have added some more recent information into it.

At first (despite not having bought it myself), I felt a liitle gipped as the programme iteslf is only four pages long, but there's a pile of other useful stuff in there that I'm starting to work my way through now. Saying which, those four pages have more than paid for the book anyway, as they've eased me into this running lark quite nicely.

Glad you like the blog - I'm still enjoying writing it, though not so much the last week as most of it has been complaining about my thigh, and I've been dog tired from an especially hectic time at work.  All things will get better soon, I'm sure - going to miss tomorrow morning's run to try and recuperate the thigh, but if that works reckon I'll run home from work on Friday night. image

I must ask about that book at the library next time I'm there.  Would like to get a nosey at it.

That's what blogs are all about, recording the highs and the lows! image  Hope that thigh is better soon.

Crocodile wrote (see)

Hi Evie

I wouldn't bother looking at the review if you haven't got an iphone!

My last 'long run' was just over 8 miles and I'm hoping to add a mile per week extra. I think the recommended amount is 10% but that gets a bit faffy!

I think the bridge podcasts are meant to be good but have no experience of them.

8miles, Good stuff!  A mile extra a week sounds good.  I've read in a few places that it's recommended to cut back a little every few weeks and then build again; I'm wondering with me building up just half a mile a week if I'll need to do this, I guess my body will let me know if that's the case.

I listened to the sample bridge podcast, the music would just fry my head I think, I'm not into dance type stuff...... Gawd I sound old!

• I've read in a few places that it's recommended to cut back a little every few weeks and then build again; I'm wondering with me building up just half a mile a week if I'll need to do this, I guess my body will let me know if that's the case.

That's interesting - the 13 week thing does a three runs a week, the first is usually the longest, then a shorter one and finally something in the middle at the end. Usually something like 9/7/8 intervals, so it's not a vast difference, but I'd wondered why...

Have a good night away! Shudder to think how much I've drunk since New Year in comparison to your "nothing"... image

• My nothing is as a result of falling into the habit of drinking 2 bottles of wine a week, plus all the nibbles that go along with them.  So even though I was eating nice and healthy the rest of the week, that was seriously slowing down the weight loss.  I'm now at my target weight and feeling much better for the lack of drink and rubbish to boot. image

But I'm looking forward to some indulgence for sure.... So long as I can get back on the band wagon come Sunday! Lol

• Aye, the same though has crossed my mind... maybe in time. image
  • Back on the band wagon again after a fantastic weekend away.  Only passed through the gym on the way to the Spa for a massage, but I did swim both days (followed my jacuzzi and steam room).  We'll not mention the copious amounts of food and alcohol consumped; but it was all in a good cause and I'm back to being sensible again. image

4.5mile run done today.  I was going to do a 3mile run, cos it was cold, wet and miserable out there, but when it came to the turn off for the shorter route I decided, "Bugger that" and kept on running.  Glad I did now.  I'm running close to a 10min/mile now which I'm happy enough with.

Pursued, I see on your blog that you've reached the 10k mark, congratulations! image  You must be delighted!!  Hopefully not too much longer till I'm there myself.

• Having emailed a local club a few weeks ago for info and to find out what days suited a beginner like me best (told to come along any weekday night); I decided to be brave and bite the bullet tonight and went along.

Really wish I hadn't. image  It was a tempo run night, so they said to come along for their warm up loop run and see how I feel after that.  I was awful.  Couldn't keep up with them on their warm up run, ended up falling way behind and got lost, 2 miles from where I was supposed to end up.  Had to ring OH to come and get me, got into the car and burst into tears. image  Felt really stupid for being so silly about it.  But also for ever thinking I might have been anyway good enough.  Totally useless and humiliated.  So went home, grabbed the dog and went out for a quick 2.5 mile with him.  The dog was delighted to get out for the run, and he soon put a smile back on my face.  I've decided he's the only running partner I ever need, no matter how useless I am he's happy to be out with me to encourage me on.

Stuff running clubs, I've enough stuff in my life to make me feel bad about myself without joining one of those!

• Sorry to hear that! It sounds traumatic and demoralising. I don't think you're being silly about it,your confidence must ahve taken a bit of a kicking.

I've stayed away from clubs for exactly that reason - when I run on my own I sometimes feel like a plodding ninja, not quite Olympic standard, but get me, I'm running like a proper person! Bit early to have the myth dispelled.

As I run at stupid o'clock in the morning, there aren't usually many other folk out, but the odd time I've had someone in front of me, or the odd time I've been overtaken It's shown that the world in general is fitter and quicker than me. I don't like it (think I may be a bit competetive), but I have only been running for a few months, so I just have to get on with the disappointment.

Solo is the way for me - my pace is my pace, and I want running to be fun and exciting, not a chore.

If you want a bit of a communal run, do you have a local parkrun? Seems that's more of a turn-up-if-you-fancy 5km run with no strings attached. Been thinking about giving my local one a go.

(Not that I'm knocking running clubs, just don't think they're for me),

•  Thanks for your kind words, Pursued. image  "Plooding ninja"; I like that.  Will make me smile thinking on your words next time I'm out. 

Lol, I'm under no illusion that I'm quick, like you, it's only been a few months and I plod around about the 10.30 min mile mark.  My mind is def made up now, club running is NOT for me.  Even ones (like this particular club) that claim to welcome people of all abilities.  image  I'm happy to stick to being dragged around by the dog on my own.

Nearest Parkrun to me is about 2hr drive away.... and I don't drive.  There's supposed to be one closer, that I may be able to get the train to, starting up this year.  Though no mention of it yet in the Parkrun newsletters/website.  Fingers crossed it gets off the ground; Parkruns sound to be more my style.

"Running" joke in my house now is every now and again one of us will comment;
    "Wonder if they are still out searching for you/me."

Upwards and onwards!

• I had a cold last week, which meant no running.  I should have known it was coming on, low energy the week before, just did 3 mile runs then.  All better now though, so back on track.

Did a 3 mile run on Saturday with my little girl on her scooter as company.  My fastest 3 mile yet, though wouldn't break any records at 9.10 min/miles.

Went for a 3 mile walk followed by a 3 mile cycle (first time in many years) yesterday which I enjoyed.  Might borrow Himself'd bike more often if he'll let me....

4.5 mile run today.  Found it hard work.  Had to keep reminding myself to slow down at the start, then really push to keep going at the end. 

Would like to get a 5 mile run in this week, we'll see how I go.  If I manage another 4 mile I'll be happy, 5 miles would be icing on the cake though.  I need to find some nice new routes to run!

• Well I got the icing and the cherry. image

5.52 miles run today to be precise.  I'm delighted, and was grateful the last half mile was downhill, lol.  Happy days.

• Evie May don't let your experience with that club put you off not all clubs are like that. 

It is  shocking that they left you like that

We always have a back runner to look after anyone new and would never leave anyone on their own.

This week the last lady had about 5 of us as her own entourage encouraging her along.

• Hi Flo Po,

I'm sure there are more supportive clubs out there and they aren't all likely to leave me in the dark, on unfamiliar streets, lost. image  (To think they promote themselves as an "all ability club". image)

But I think the experiance has helped me decide that clubs, at least for now, are not for me.  I'd rather have my dog for company, he who cheers me on be it running my fastest ever or trotting beside me as I crawl up a hill dying. image  For now, that makes me happy and what I'll continue to do.

Your club sounds wonderful though!  I think it's wonderful that people come together like that to encourage each other, no matter what the ability, in a positive way. image

• Runs this week were supposed to be 2 x 45min and a 10km recording how long it takes.

Instead I did 4.5miles (43min), 3miles (29min) and today 5miles (52min).  Just didn't have any energy on the day I headed out the door and decided to do the 3mile (better than nothing) run.  I feel I'm still not right from a stomach bug I have, then other times I wonder is it me hesitiating cos the 10km mark is coming up. image

Felt fine coming home after my run today, though quite tired now.  Not sure what distance I'm gonna run now on Friday, wether to go for it with the 10km or stick to a 45min (4.5mile) run.

• At the risk of being accused of talking to myself.....

I'm delighted to say that I ran my first 5k race today (along with the dog, who I'd obtained prior permission for) and we did it in a time of 29min 57sec.  I was well pleased as I've had a very rough week, esp this last few days with my diabetes up the left and sugar levels ranging between 3 and 30 mmol/l thanks to my usual medication being discontinued and having to adapt to the new stuff.

Still haven't reached that magical 10k mark, but once I get the health back on track, I hope to make it!

My knees have been feeling tight the day after running.  If anyone can offer advice on stretches or other tips on what might help I'd be really grateful. image

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi Evie.

Just spotted this thread and wanted to say well done and keep going. Shame about the club thing, but clearly not put you off, which is great!

Well done on the 5k! There is loads on the site about stretching, have a look about.

Again: well done and keep going!
  • Thanks BoDuke! image

Yes, I've been reading up a bit more on stretching and think I need to adapt my routine to include a bit more.

5.5miles done today, last 2miles of which felt pretty good, so I'm well pleased.  Another local 5k race planned for this weekend.  Fingers crossed I don't pick up the cold my kids have before then!

• Thanks Tobyloby,  This time last year I had no notion of running any distance, never mind racing.  I used to look at runners and say "Where the hell are they in such a rush to get to?" thinking they were all mad.

Only started running to help keep the dog exercised and fit for his competitions, ended up becoming addicted.  Won't be long till you are out running 5ks and beyond. image

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Guys I got addicted to the distance. Breaking the barriers gets me. First 5k, then 10 on to halfs and then.... Seriously tobyloby, stick with it and those runs that seem to break you don't make you break a sweat offer a while, but there is always another challenge to do: maybe quicker, smoother or better recovery.

Or, just a run for the hell of it... Liberating!