Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• Yeah Emma - be careful how you use the word 'track' on here LOL. Are you feeling a bit better?

(Sam - 233s - yeyyyy - can't believe how clompy everything else feels image)

• Track get back in bed Emma!!!image
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I'm willing to bet that the people who say "I haven't had a cold in x years.." haven't got young kids at school. I've started counting the interval between colds in seconds, just to make it sound longer and less depressing.

864221.... 864222....

Get well soon everybody.
  • oscarr - where did you get the cheap Nimbus' from?
  • Ultra Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)
    oscarr - where did you get the cheap Nimbus' from?
    From Sweatshop about 2 weeks ago - they were selling off 2011 colours at about £85 before new spring colour range comes in - not sure how long this lasts so best to give your local store a ring or go on their online shop
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Emma, get well soon. I got some Manuka honey off my Mum when she won't on holiday to New Zeland. You can have it it you want.

Comments on shoes noted for future reference....
  • Thanks oscarr. I've been trying to eke the miles out of my shoes but really need to replace one pair
  • Evening all!image Thank you so much for your lovely words of support and advice - definately want to try that manuka honey - would be great on my new 'special' - fruit, seed and honey porridge.

Still shivering at end of school, but drank some water, had my fruit, yoghurt, seed and dried fruit snack and some ibuprofen.

Then a cup of tea and some paracetamol when I went to collect the boys and thought I'd try a trot around the streets of Sussex. Genuinely thought I'd have to stop and walk or end up just going around the block. Kill or cure I thought... thinking it would be kill!

So the bad news - still got slight back and head ache and don't feel 100% but...

The good news - feel so much better than earlier and really feel that I will get quality sleep tonight.

Other bad news is that garmin connect now doesn't believe I exist, has un-installed itself from my laptop and won't reinstall the software. However, I have found out that I can read the info direct from the watch and reads as follows ... Sorry Sam I got a bit giddy as felt human again. But my heart rate wasn't too high I don't think, also rubbish route planning gave a 7 not a 6 mile run!image

mile 1 - 9:53 - HR 140 [on target at this point]

mile 2 - 9:23 - HR 152 [behaving nicely]

mile 3 - 9:19 - HR 154 [again still being good]

mile 4 - 9:08 - HR 155 [within tolerance]

mile 5 - 8:34 [oops] (this was because I had my Garmin on the average run pace not lap pace and wondered why it wasn't changing as I ran faster - took about 1/2 mile for me to realise, flip screens and see that I was doing 7:40s!... slowed down quite rapidly then!)

mile 6 - 9:22 [oops again] - HR 146

mile 7 - 9:26 [triple oops] - HR 144

Also found that my resting pulse rate was 49 not the 56-60 previosuly quoted - suspect that will make a difference to my training HR!

I can't tell you how much happier I am now that I have had a run - Wednesday is a rest day.

• Tenjiso wrote (see)
    I'm willing to bet that the people who say "I haven't had a cold in x years.." haven't got young kids at school. I've started counting the interval between colds in seconds, just to make it sound longer and less depressing. 864221.... 864222.... Get well soon everybody.
    So so true and then throw in the 2000 students and 250 staff at my school and there is a whole other melting put of bacteria and viruses yummy!image
  • mcs wrote (see)

Get well soon all. I am a honey, orange juice daily and vitamin chap so havent had a cold for a decade at least. Take those Wellman things thanks to my OH who always prompts me at breakie to take them. I think working in an office on my own helps most of them anyway.

Sounds like you are racing alot Oscar dont really have the free cash or time to do that much but going to take some of these races on offer from Asics which is fantastic to have that opportunity..........three cheers to them.image Might do Coniston and Birmingham half as thats my PB race.

Emma enjoy the weekend run hope you feel better by then.

I need to get back in to the routine of vit c and echinacea again - been a bit slack and I do think it makes a difference. Def reckon that not being around snotty kids (mine and other peoples) would make a real difference.

I am so looking forward to Birmingham mcs - will be a different vibe from Bootcamp - hopefully less jittery!image

• Well, the Manuka honey and lemon plus vit c tablet and plenty of sleep seems to have cured the sore throat and sniffles - just need to get some energy back now!  May go for a row later today and some exercises.  Today is normaly one of my hard work days but think i will move that to tomorow now.  Thanks for all the help with the cures etc.

Emma - sounds like the run did you a power of good, well done.  I once read an article about "should you run if you have a cold?" and it went on about the "neck line" - if it's all above the neck (sniffles and headache etc) then a run can clear things but if it's below the neck (chest cough etc plus flu) then rest.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Honey and lemon is great.

It's just my opinion, but I think Manuka honey is the latest triumph of marketing.

• I know what you mean Tenjiso - but it is clinically tested apparently and I don't think they get to say that on the label unless it's true! 

My other honey factoid - taking a teaspoon of locally sourced  honey daily (and it has to be local to work) helps alleviate hay fever symptoms.  (Hence it has to be local as it's made from the pollen that is affecting you).  It doesn't get rid of mine altogether but I haven't had to take tablets since I started taking a teaspoon a day. Worth a try?

Glad you're feeling better guys - easy 4 miler for me today - resting pulse was 4 beats higher this morning (after intervals yesterday I reckon).  Amazing how a bit of faster running has an effect isn't it? Felt comfortable at a faster pace though so I'm happy weeeeeeeeeeeeeee image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    SB - my only experience was a pot that my mum bought for me last year for a cough. I used it all and it didn't help one iota. I hated the taste too, even though I love pure honey in general.

From memory, I think the jar said something like it was clinically tested to contain UMF - which means the "Unique Manuka Factor". As far as I'm concerned, they may just have well have said "clinically tested to contain honey".

You might guess, I'm a cynic image
  • Emma you are Very Naughty doing 7 miles when you are poorly. Am I going to have two rebels on my hands now?!image Anyway, glad it seemed to have a positive effect.

The 'neck check' Oscarr mentioned is right - if your symptoms are just stuffy nose, head ache etc, you're OK to run, but any kind of aching joints/fever/chest infection you SHOULD NOT run with - may end up prolonging problem and even causing further more serious issues such as myocarditis.

It's common sense really but sometimes our love of running somewhat muddies the waters image

• I know Sam - I decided best to be honest and not hide what I had done. But I'm not a rebel honestly - will be on bestest behaviour from now on!image

When I set out I promise that I set out to have a gentle jog and if I felt poorly to stop and walk home. As my HR was 49 before I set off I thought I didn't have a virus as it would have been elevated (I think - pretending to be  a doctor just because I wear a white coat!). I felt a bit stiff but by about 5 miles felt super dooper so carried on. The 7 as opposed to six was just poor route planning.

I'm tired today but it is a rest day - I felt so much better after the run it was amazing. But should I get really poorly I promise not to run. I did that last year and ended up pushing the inflamation and yuk further into my lungs and ended up in bed for two weeks. Not fun!image

I blame it on my friend's hubby who is a faster runner than me and who seemed happy to scoot along at that speed - that said, when we stopped he was steaming like horses do after a gallop, was a bit puce and had an average HR of somewhere in the 150 - 160's!image

• Gang - latest shopping offer for you (except Tenjiso that is image) - Manuka honey, 10+, 250gm jar, £3.99 at Aldi.

Now for the good bit - I really love the celebrity photo of the fab 5 in this month's RW mag (mine arrived this morning) - you mentioned about being photo'd in Oxford Street but i didn't realise it was literaly in the middle of the road!!  - you all look like elite runners.

Emma - you really are too hard on yourself mentioning earlier your trepidation about how you will look - let me tell you girl, you look great !!  You all do ! 

• Emma - sounds like you are on the mend.

Zinc may  provide relief from the common cold but you need to take it within 24 hours of unset for it to have any benefits (and at quite high doses) although longer term supplementions may reduce you getting a cold (but if do take zinc on a regular basis don't take anymore than 10-15mg each day as it can interfere with other nutrients)..

Echinacea- does seem to stimulate white blood cells in a postive way but due to the way all the research has been undertaken (studies have used different species of the plant and different parts of the plant ; some have used  the root others the leaves)  it is hard to say if it is really useful or not  but if going to use it I would suggest you need to take 1-5mg dried root (not plant/flower) /day. Also that both Echinacea Purpurea and Echinacea Angustifolia root together in the 1 supplement is better.

Honey - the evidence for this is not wonderful but used as part of a balanced diet .....

Not likely to be on thread until next week so hope you all have a great training week .

Ruth

Emma - see you Saturday

• Hey oscarr -  good spot - will be stocking up! Photo is good isn't it - it looks chilly but they do indeed look like the x-men/ladies of running image Gonna sit down this evening and have a read ...
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Oscarr - my mum told me she paid ten pounds for what looked like a thimble-full, so that looks a good deal.

At least you won't be wasting your money quite so fast image
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    I'm giving the stuff away, for free and everything!
  • RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Emma - sounds like you are on the mend.

Zinc may  provide relief from the common cold but you need to take it within 24 hours of unset for it to have any benefits (and at quite high doses) although longer term supplementions may reduce you getting a cold (but if do take zinc on a regular basis don't take anymore than 10-15mg each day as it can interfere with other nutrients)..

Echinacea- does seem to stimulate white blood cells in a postive way but due to the way all the research has been undertaken (studies have used different species of the plant and different parts of the plant ; some have used  the root others the leaves)  it is hard to say if it is really useful or not  but if going to use it I would suggest you need to take 1-5mg dried root (not plant/flower) /day. Also that both Echinacea Purpurea and Echinacea Angustifolia root together in the 1 supplement is better.

Honey - the evidence for this is not wonderful but used as part of a balanced diet .....

Not likely to be on thread until next week so hope you all have a great training week .

Ruth

Emma - see you Saturday

Hi Ruth - still a bit headachy and tired but suspect much of that is dehydration and lack of sleep!

I can't take zinc because it interferes with the absorption of one of my medications  - otherwise I would. Same with iron supplements (I think will look at the info on the packet).

The echinacea and honey - well they could be plcebos but ... the power of the mind on healing is pretty convincing so might be worth a punt!

Speaking of healthy diets.. yesterday not as brill s the tesco shop arrives Tuesday evening so Monday and Tuesday we always seem low on fruit and veg ... but ..

Breakfast -  Special porridge (with 1 tsp honey, mixed seeds, raisins) and cup of tea - no sugar

Snack - apple

Lunch - tomato soup (fresh but not homemade) and rye bread

Snack - lowfat yog, apple, grapes, seeds and raisins

extra little snack - 1/2 granola bar (approx 50 KCals) as boost before run

Dinner -  1/2 pizza with jumbo sized salad and some salad dressing

Various cups of tea and coffee but no sugar!

WEDS - Breakfast - Special porridge and tea

Snack - banana

lunch - covent garden veg soup (1/2 pkt), rye bread toast (no butter)

Snack - grapes, apples, yog, seeds and raisins

Dinner (in oven) - jacket potato, with salad, tuna, grated cheese and some butter on the jacket and dressing on the salad! Not sure about pudding - probably a low fat yog.

Thought this looked better than usual? What do you think?

• BoDuke wrote (see)
    I'm giving the stuff away, for free and everything!
    Bless you Craig - bring it to Birmingham - I'll try it!image
  • oscarr wrote (see)

Gang - latest shopping offer for you (except Tenjiso that is image) - Manuka honey, 10+, 250gm jar, £3.99 at Aldi.

Now for the good bit - I really love the celebrity photo of the fab 5 in this month's RW mag (mine arrived this morning) - you mentioned about being photo'd in Oxford Street but i didn't realise it was literaly in the middle of the road!!  - you all look like elite runners.

Emma - you really are too hard on yourself mentioning earlier your trepidation about how you will look - let me tell you girl, you look great !!  You all do ! 

Oscarr - thank you for being so kind. I think I look horrific in the group shot! Squinty eyes and I look like I've got a bad smell under my nose! If people don't know me and look at that they will think I'm a right stuck up whatzit!

The other photo where I'm giggling is better and much more like how I actually am!

The good news is that unlike the vide you can't see my Hugh Jass!image

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    You look fab!!! Think it was one of the 'look serious' ones... Got it last night, going to run it through the scanner just in case I lose the mag.

Such a geek....

Oh, BTW, I can't find my HRM strap!!!! Noooooo!!!!!!!!!
  • You all look great! Maybe I'll run a body image workshop on Saturday instead of a long run!image

Glad you're feeling a bit better Emma. This weather isn't going to help anyone recover from a cold image Have a bit of a scratchy throat myself today - might try Ruth's early zinc attack strategy!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I've seen the vid. Phwoarr, I think I'm going to follow "Hugh Jass" around the Watford HM for extra motivation image [Stalker alert!]

Unfortunately, looking at recent paces, I won't be able to keep up image
  • Sam - good luck with the training day on Saturday - try not to lose any of your chicks ! - will look forward to the reports afterwards.  Chicks (ref mother hen !!) - have fun on what sounds a great day for you and let us all know how it goes. 
  • Thanks Oscarr will report back after the training day. Heading up to Birmingham tomorrow evening so will have some time to catch up with Emma and Rosie and carbo-load on pizza image

I'm speaking at the Meet the Experts event for the VLM weekend after so have been busy preparing my talk today: The Seven Secrets of Injury Free Running. ('The seven secrets of minimising the risk and duration of injuries' didn't have quite the same ring to it!